Start by marking “Being America: Liberty, Commerce, and Violence in an American World” as Want to Read:
Being America: Liberty, Commerce, and Violence in an American World

Being America: Liberty, Commerce, and Violence in an American World

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Having risen to national attention with his first book, For Common Things, Jedediah Purdy now cements his claim to being one of the most arresting public intellectuals of his generation. In Being America, Purdy turns his erudition and unique perspective to America’s relationship with a world that both admires and hates it.

Purdy has absorbed insights from people around the
Published February 10th 2004 by Vintage (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Being America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Being America

Shannon Simmons
I thought this book was pretty good. It was thought-provoking and I agreed with a lot of the author's perspectives on liberty and violence. I wish there had been more stories of people he met traveling abroad - I thought those were the most interest parts, so I liked the beginning of the book better than the end, which seemed less cohesive and more like his rambling on certain topics. Overall I thought the book was uneven but worth reading.
noisy penguin
This book has a similar message to No Logo. It's really interesting and very well researched, but my one complaint is long sentences. Long sentence after long sentence. Entire paragraphs that last over a page that are all one sentence. My pretty little brain kept getting muddled in the middle of them.
Dave Peticolas
How does the rest of the world see the USA and how do we see ourselves? And what does that mean for the future? Through interviews and analysis Purdy thoughtfully explores these themes.
Matthew
Matthew is currently reading it
Jan 14, 2015
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Donald Forster
Donald Forster marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Omar
Omar marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Kalysse
Kalysse marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Hyfun
Hyfun marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Kara Mackillop
Kara Mackillop marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Paul Johnson
Paul Johnson marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Ismael Schonhorst
Ismael Schonhorst marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Dianne
Dianne marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2013
Ted Morgan
Ted Morgan marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2013
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2013
Xavier
Xavier marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2013
Sophia
Sophia marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
For Common Things: Irony, Trust, and Commitment in America Today A Tolerable Anarchy: Rebels, Reactionaries, and the Making of American Freedom The Meaning of Property: Freedom, Community, and the Legal Imagination Democratic Vistas Mountains of Injustice: Social and Environmental Justice in Appalachia