Skates for Marty

Skates for Marty

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  7 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Marty is forced to spend a year in Massachusetts living with her grandmother, while her actress mother is on tour. Unhappy and uncooperative in this staid home, she is also out of it at school where she is the new girl, overweight, and socially awkward. Can skating lessons make a difference to her life?
Published 1959 by Funk & Wagnalls

To ask other readers questions about Skates for Marty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skates for Marty

Stephie Smith
I loved this book. It was one of my favorites growing up, perhaps my very favorite when I was middle school age. It belonged to my older sisters--they are 10-15 years older--but I quickly made it mine, and I still have it with the same cover as showing here. A few years ago I loaned it to my niece who was 11 years old at the time because she loved to read, and her mother (another sister) had a fit because the girl in the book had a weight problem, as did my niece. My sister decided I gave it to...more
Gina Huber
Probably one of the best books from my childhood. Definitely made me escape the doldrums of reality, and fostered my love of ice skating.
Nattie
It took years to get a copy of this book, and now that I've read it, I feel rather let down. I'm a big fan of 1950's-1980's fiction about popularity and social situations in high school, and I thought this book would be more about that. It was more about skating. Back about 5 years ago I was a huge figure skating fan, but as I got into my 30's, I have somewhat lost interest. All the skaters that I once loved are heading towards 26-27 now, and I just can't get interested in the younger ones.

The b...more
Marty Gossett
Marty Gossett marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Tina
Tina added it
May 12, 2013
Layla Cicconi
Layla Cicconi marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2012
Audrey
Audrey marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2012
CLM
CLM marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2012
Tomboy Ditto A Penelopean Poetics: Reweaving the Feminine in Homer's Odyssey Pepper Pot Second Best