Start by marking “Mitigating Circumstances (Lily Forrester, #1)” as Want to Read:
Mitigating Circumstances (Lily Forrester, #1)

Mitigating Circumstances (Lily Forrester #1)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  734 ratings  ·  41 reviews
paperback, fine In stock shipped from our UK warehouse
Published January 2nd 1996 by Orion (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Mitigating Circumstances, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mitigating Circumstances

Sean Asbury
It started with the drama of a great legal/sex/mystery book. I was intrigued but eventually stopped caring. There really wasn't any character in the book that made me care for them.

The daughter, mother, boyfriend, and husband were all written so shallow that I didn't want to root for them.

The sensationalism of the sex and the graphic crime descriptions didn't make up for the lack of drama and plot development.
Aug 08, 2011 ☼~Marian~☼ rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: suspense lovers
Recommended to ☼~Marian~☼ by: a friend
It was during college that I read this book. Liked it very much. I often catch myself thinking about its ending. Its moral dilemma & heightened emotions made this book hard to put down.
For a mother to witness her daughter being raped, and when vengeance is within reach, it was almost impossible for it not to end as what a reader would expect. A gratifying vengeance.
It was not ended that way....
This was another book that I liked better after I got into it. Lily Forrester is a strong character who suffered incest at the hands of her grandfather as a girl. She and her husband John are separated, and planning to divorce, which leaves their daughter with the future of spending time with each of them. She is a very strong character, but then, due to a fluke, she and her mother are raped. Early in the book there is the suggestion that Lily has been targeted by a prisoner in jail who can see ...more
In the first installment of the Lily Forrester Legal thriller series, Mitigating Circumstances, by Nancy Taylor Rosenberg, she brought us a hard-hitting legal thriller with hard cope topics. Lillian "Lily" Forrester was the new chief in the Sex Crimes Division for the DA's Office. She was also a mother of a teenage daughter and a wife of a weak husband, she finally had the courage to end her failing marriage. In lieu of that, someone broke in their home and raped her and her own daughter. From t ...more
Anna Ligtenberg
ISBN 0451176723 - Almost a sister to Nancy Wagner's All Our Lives (ISBN 0380778084), Mitigating Circumstances is not quite as good. Both books deal with a family dealing with the rape of a daughter and a marriage that's fallen apart, but Wagner's is just a little bit better.

Lily Forrester is an ADA who has just been made head of the Sex Crimes Division and sees her goal of becoming a judge within sight when her marriage finally unravels. Her daughter chooses to live with her father, but spends a
Judge Lara Sanderstone has complete control of her courtroom, and hardly any control of her personal life. Divorced and living alone, she has a contentious relationship with her beautiful younger sister,Ivory, a widow, and now married to a scheming low life. Ivory has a 16 year-old son Josh, who is mistreated by his step-dad, yet not allowed to see his Aunt Lara, who misses him terribly. When Ivory and her husband are murdered, their steamy secret life is uncovered. Josh, resentful of the fact h ...more
Πολύ ωραίο βιβλίο, με γρήγορη εξέλιξη, γεμάτο αγωνία και πολλά διλήμματα σχετικά με τις πράξεις των (αντι)ηρώων. Είναι αρκετά σκληρό και ωμό, γεμάτο προβληματισμούς, και ξεγυμνώνει μια χώρα γεμάτη βία και ανθρώπους υλιστές. Σε κρατάει σε αγωνία, αποφεύγει τις κοινοτοπιές και αποδεικνύει ότι ένα βιβλίο δεν χρειάζεται να είναι ογκώδες για να πει αυτά που θέλει να πει. Αξίζει να διαβαστεί. (8/10)
Now this had some real moral questions - would you have done what the main characters did? Just where do you draw the line when your children are hurt? And if you are in law enforcement of whatever level are morally obliged to be better at upholding justice than the hoi polloi? Are there really mitigating circumstances? I identified with the main female character but as I am very anti-gun couldn't ever do what she did - not sure either that I could ever take a life. My feelings when having compl ...more
May 24, 2012 Joe rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
Debut book, written by Nancy Rosenberg, way back in 1993. I was recently shopping at a used bookstore, WONDER BOOKS up in Fredricksburg, MD and came upon a copy and realized she was on my List of TO READ Authors so I picked this up and her 2nd book, INTEREST OF JUSTICE and I am glad I did.
Court room drama and thriller set in Los Angeles. Main character is Lily Forrester, an ADA and newly promoted to Chief of the Sex Crimes Division. Her marriage on the rocks, a wild 13 year old daughter and all
Charlene Gordon
Good book. Read this in 1999.
Rosenberg, Nancy Taylor - 1st in Lily Forrester series

DA Lily Forrester sees her dreams of a judge's post and a new romance shattered when she and her teenage daughter are brutally assaulted. In protecting her daughter from the traumas of a rape trial, Lily takes revenge by killing the man she is convinced is the rapist.

Boring, didn't pass my 50-page rule.
Wahrscheinlich gar kein schlechter Thriller, aber ich war absolut nicht in der Stimmung ein Buch über Vergewaltigung von Kindern zu lesen, zudem ja auch andere Misshandlungsfälle, die die Protagonistin als Staatsanwältin bearbeitet, beschrieben wurden. Da hat es mir echt die Haare aufgestellt und ich habe das Buch lieber zur Seite gelegt.
Wow! I can't believe this book got such mediocre reviews. I loved this book. This book is about how far a mother will go to protect her daughter after a violent attack. It is explicit at times and may be hard to read because of the details, but for the most part a great book.
This was a terrible book, but once I started it, I felt like I had to finish it. I didn't like any of the characters, so I really didn't care what happened to any of them! I'm not sure whether I'll try any other books by this author, although usually I really like legal thrillers.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It is about a female judge who faces a moral and judicial issue when the man who raped her daughter is brought forth to court on an unrelated crime. He has no clue who the judge is and she does not excuse herself from the case.
Danielle Mootz
Why do I not want to admit how much I liked this book? Well, file this with my obsession with certain "reality shows" when I say I was thoroughly entertained by this novel.
Not bad legal thriller/revenge thriller...basically a plot line dealing with, "Oh what a tangled web we weave, When first we practice to deceive" and how things can unravel
Having read a later book about this character I was a little disappointed, it seemed as though whole sections were in both books. Good legal/crime thriller though.
I finished this book a few weeks ago and have nearly forgotten all of it all ready. Not my favorite book of the year by a long shot.
Tough read. It was difficult to concentrate on something besides the terrible pain of the rape. Definitely a 'mitigating circumstance'.
Lily Forrester is an Assistant D.A. with a bright professional future but is shaken when a tragedy befalls her and her daughter.
couldn't read this book, there was too much about sex crimes including to children. read 50 pages but just could not go on.
Between the Lines
Well written and nail this just about a decade ago and the story is still vivid in my mind.
Pretty typical legal thriller, with a pretty discernable outcome. Not bad...just, not *great*.
I read a long time ago. I might have to read it again to give a good review.
My first adult book.... I read it in two night it was that interesting.
Still having a hard time finding a author i like..
Pam Logan
Interesting - Not as good as I thought it would be.
not the legal thriller i was expecting.
  • Suspicion of Betrayal (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #4)
  • Against the Wind
  • Mary, Mary
  • Motion to Suppress (Nina Reilly, #1)
  • A Darker Justice (Mary Crow, #2)
  • The Attorney (Paul Madriani, #5)
  • The Fourth Perimeter
  • Primary Justice (Ben Kencaid, #1)
  • The Book, The Film, The T Shirt
  • Child of Silence (Bo Bradley, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • Bless the Child
  • The Last Innocent Man
  • The Deepest Cut (Nan Vining Mysteries, #3)
  • Corporate Bodies
  • Dangerous to Know
  • Mother Nature (Em Hansen Mystery, #3)
  • Motion To Kill (Lou Mason, Mystery #1)
With a BA in English and 5 years as a photographic model behind her, Nancy Taylor Rosenberg studied criminology. She served in the Dallas Police Department, New Mexico State Police, Ventura Police Department and as an Investigative Probation Officer in Court Services for the Country of Ventura where she handled major crimes. She lives in California.
More about Nancy Taylor Rosenberg...

Lily Forrester (4 books)
  • Buried Evidence (Lily Forrester, #2)
  • My Lost Daughter (Lily Forrester, #4)
  • The Cheater (Lily Forrester, #3)