Start by marking “Busy Bodies (Claire Malloy, #10)” as Want to Read:
Busy Bodies (Claire Malloy, #10)

Busy Bodies (Claire Malloy #10)

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  637 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Since his recent arrival, avant-garde artist Zeno Gorgias has been turning heads and attracting gawkers in the otherwise tame college town of Farberville Arkansas. Zeno's "interactive" art—featuring an undressed woman lounging beside a coffin on his front yard—is neither welcome by the community nor punishable by law. But as local bookseller and amateur sleuth Claire Mallo ...more
Published April 28th 2009 by Minotaur Books (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Busy Bodies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Busy Bodies

Pamela Mclaren
I wanted to like Joan Hess' Claire Malloy but with this book I just couldn't do it. I don't hate her but she seems very wishy-washy and I certainly wouldn't enjoy the relationship she has with her daughter (I'd sit her right down and tell her if she doesn't like her life with mom, she knows where she can take it! Just durn glad my daughter never went through this period) or her boyfriend ( where's the romance? From this book they aren't even dating and they certainly aren't hanging out with each ...more
Loraine

Leave it to Claire Malloy, owner of the Book Depot in Farberville, to start out having tea with retired schoolteacher Miss Emily Parchester and end up investigating a murder. An avant-garde artist who moved into a house on Willow Street has the whole neighborhood up in arms. His "interactive art, " complete with a nearly nude model and a coffin in the front yard, is attracting a mob of noisy gawkers. Irate residents are worried about declining property values. The local mystery writer cannot mee
Natalie
Dec 04, 2009 Natalie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mortified, outraged and shocked are words that could easily describe Zeno Gorgias’ neighbors. Of course, he brought it on himself with his front lawn display of what he calls “interactive environmental art”. His latest work involves a barely clad woman strolling in his makeshift cemetery beside the centerpiece, a coffin. This cemetery is by no means a peaceful one. Loudspeakers boom sexually explicit sounds to the ever gathering crowd.

Claire Malloy is having a cup of tea at the home of Miss Par
David
Jan 01, 2009 David rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okay. Main character is a snope, an amateur. Good light humor and observations but the main character kept getting in situations I had a hard time believeing. I kept thinking why is she doing that? The best part was her friends bassett hounds Nick and Nora.
Sara Bartlett
A fun book to read, I picked it up because the setting is in Fayetteville, my home town. I enjoyed reading about Willow Street, great character development but a little silly at times.
Dallass
Aug 27, 2015 Dallass rated it it was ok
What can I say except I really found Busy Bodies to be rather disappointing. The characters were frustrating - especially the stereotypical teenage daughter who is more than a little self-absorbed, and obnoxious - and I found the main suspect to be quite ridiculous.

The silly actions our main character takes are frustrating, and her relationship with the detective did not endear him to me in any way.

I own another book in the series that I picked up in the bargain bin ages ago, and this has made m
Renee
Sep 11, 2009 Renee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-cozy
I started reading Hess's Maggody books back in the late 80s and early 90s, when they first started coming out. It took an Advance Reading Copy for me to read anything in her other series, the Claire Malloy mysteries. Even then, it took me over a decade to actually pick it up.

Why? I'm not sure -- maybe I thought it was too much of a cosy for me, back in the days when I'd read only hard-boileds. (Thank goodness that working for Murder Ink cured me of that!) No matter the reason, I'm not sure that
Rose
Dec 21, 2015 Rose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This my first, though the tenth, of Joan Hess's Claire Malloy mysteries. I enjoyed the setting in a fictional small town in Arkansas as well as Claire as the owner of The Book Depot and interferer in police investigations. Delightful.
Katie Hilton
May 19, 2015 Katie Hilton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An entertaining murder mystery with wacky characters and some Keystone Kops action in Claire Malloy's normally quiet town. She helps solve the mystery, despite interference from the police and other do-gooders.
Mary
Sep 06, 2015 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun, beach read with a decent plot, quirky characters and a good pace. I'd read more in the series.
I always enjoyed Hess's 'Maggody' series and wish there were more of them.
Ann Marie
Another Claire Malloy book. I get more involved with the characters than the murder(s). Not bad, I've read other Joan Hess books I liked better.
Lois Freeman
Good to read when you have to get up in the morning....
Debra Shapiro
Not one of favorite Hess books.
Lkking
May 01, 2016 Lkking rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast moving mystery - humor
Charlene Gordon
Ok book. Read this in 1998.
Mary Newcomb
Caron still speaks in capitals, and this makes her all the more fun. This tale involves Miss Emily Parchester and her most interesting neighbors on Willow Street. I'm glad my neighborhood is a bit less interesting! The romance portion of this series is coming along nicely too.
Sandy Weir
Dec 30, 2013 Sandy Weir rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the humor, characters and plot of Busy Bodies. Lots of good little sub-plots happening and of course all the witty conversations and reflections.
G
Mar 12, 2012 G rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good for what it is - a quick, easy-read cozy with over the top situations.
Shirley
Nov 05, 2009 Shirley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Enjoyable for her sarcastic wit, but the plot a little too outlandish for me.
Pamela
Oct 21, 2008 Pamela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really think this is one of my top five favorites of Joan's Series.
Teresa
Mar 10, 2009 Teresa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still sick, still reading mysteries.
Jeanette
Jan 16, 2016 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Humorous.
Christy Jordan
Christy Jordan rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2016
Alex Edwards
Alex Edwards marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Laura Mitracos
Laura Mitracos rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2016
Patricia B
Patricia B rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2016
  • Silver Scream (Bed-and-Breakfast, #18)
  • Make No Bones (Gideon Oliver, #7)
  • Honeymoon With Murder (Death on Demand, #4)
  • Death in Paradise (Henrie O, #4)
  • Grape Expectations (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #14)
  • Death Dines Out (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #5)
  • The Merchant of Menace (Jane Jeffry, #10)
  • Killer Wedding (Madeline Bean, #3)
Joan Hess is the author of both the Claire Malloy and the Maggody mystery series. She is a winner of the American Mystery Award, a member of Sisters in Crime, and a former president of the American Crime Writers League. She lives in Fayetteville, Arkansas.

Joan Hess also writes a mystery series under the pseudonym of Joan Hadley.

Series contributed to:
. Crosswinds
. The Year's 25 Finest Crime and Mys
More about Joan Hess...

Claire Malloy (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Strangled Prose (Claire Malloy, #1)
  • The Murder at the Murder at the Mimosa Inn (Claire Malloy, #2)
  • Dear Miss Demeanor (Claire Malloy, #3)
  • A Really Cute Corpse (Claire Malloy, #4)
  • A Diet to Die For (Claire Malloy, #5)
  • Roll Over and Play Dead (Claire Malloy, #6)
  • Death by the Light of the Moon (Claire Malloy, #7)
  • Poisoned Pins (Claire Malloy, #8)
  • Tickled to Death (Claire Malloy, #9)
  • Closely Akin to Murder (Claire Malloy, #11)