Start by marking “The New Detox Diet: The Complete Guide for Lifelong Vitality with Recipes, Menus, and Detox Plans” as Want to Read:

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  170 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Dr. Elson Haas has helped thousands recover from chemical dependency through what he calls the missing link in the American diet: detoxification. His tried-and-true program set forth in THE DETOX DIET shows how to cleanse your body of sugar, nicotine, alcohol, caffeine, and other harmful toxins for improved health, energy, and well-being. For those who have experienced the ...more
Published September 1st 2004 by Celestial Arts (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The New Detox Diet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Detox Diet

Iona  Stewart
Aug 03, 2011 Iona Stewart rated it liked it
This book is different from what I expected when ordering it from the library, in that it does not just deal with general detoxification. There are chapters on sugar, drug, caffeine, alcohol and nicotine detoxification, and a final chapter on fasting.

Included are lists of the nutrients required for the various detox programmes.

If I didn't find much new information, this is because I'd read a lot about the subject beforehand,

This is a sensible and adequate book comprising all the basic and necess
Christina
Definitely more helpful than the other book I read! This book is easy to read and good for a beginner like me. The author covers a broad spectrum of information ranging from 'which juices are best for treating which problems', to 'possible side effects of juice fasts', to lifestyle changes and more.

One complaint is that the entire thing seemed a little bit disorganized. I had a hard time understanding whether there were better times to do the detox diet as opposed to the juice fasts, and the dif
corinne
Sep 15, 2008 corinne rated it really liked it
I have used a lot of info. from this in my current two week detox cleanse, which will lead to a two day fast and then a colonic irrigation.

There is a lot of helpful info. and I am not necessarily following all its guidelines, but through its info. i have been able to construct my own cleanse and upcoming fast.

YAY for colonic health!
Crystal
Nov 03, 2012 Crystal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to have a lot good information on nutrition and healing the body from the in side out bottom to the top. It answered a lot of the questions I was having about cleanses. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who is looking to start incorporating seasonal cleanses into their lives.
AdultNonFiction Teton County Library
TCL Call#: 613.2 Haas

Madeleine - 3 stars
I picked this up after my doctor recommended that I try removing dairy and eggs. I found it to be full of tailored recommendations for removing various addictive items out of your regimine (caffine, nicotine, suugar, etc) a bit thick of a read tho.
Dawna
Sep 23, 2009 Dawna rated it liked it
I'm too rebellious to ever be this hard core about food. But it did have some really good points, and I do find myself thinking about what I eat a little differently so- I'd call it a success. I will eventually try one of the detox plans, and I saw some recipes I will definitely use.
Karen
Nov 12, 2011 Karen rated it liked it
Shelves: health-nutrition
This book has some good information, and I fully support the idea of regular detoxification; however, this book is not particularly well written or presented in the best manner. For much more interesting and infoemative read, check out Clean by Alejandro Junger.
Aimee
Nov 23, 2008 Aimee rated it it was amazing
I've been utilizing this book for years -- a great method of gentle detoxofication from caffeine, sugar, nictotine and other substances.
Dr. Haas is thorough, respected in his field, and a fabulous resource for alternative healing.
Vinyessa
Mar 12, 2013 Vinyessa rated it really liked it
I like Haas. He adds a bit of personality to otherwise dull textbooks. This book goes into a nice depth about the detoxification process and how to design a detox for yourself or another person, safely and effectively.
Loree
Dec 29, 2008 Loree rated it it was amazing
Well worth reading. I picked it up because it had a section on Nicotine Detoxification, when a friend of mine wanted to stop smoking. I'm using it for me now, that I'm quitting smoking. It's been very helpful.
Richard
Aug 11, 2013 Richard rated it it was ok
Good read in general.

Personally, I'm on the fence about fasting. I just haven't seen enough doctors in the medical community on whole to backup the touted benefits of detoxification through liquid fasting.
Belinda
Jun 04, 2008 Belinda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
Quick read while I was standing in the library browsing. I'm not sure if it works or not but it certainly was interesting. Might be kind of hard to only drink juice for several days.
Claire
Jul 23, 2008 Claire rated it it was amazing
I started following some of the simple detox plans and I can already feel a difference in my energy level, mood, and body. And I'm not even through the 2nd chapter yet!
Adrienna
Dec 30, 2008 Adrienna rated it liked it
I wanted to get some of the crap out of my body. I had problems with my bowels and this helped me for the trial period of 2 weeks. I will have to do it again!
Caley
Dec 12, 2012 Caley rated it it was ok

Sparse on the details of a detox's effect on the body. I'm not particularly sold by anything in here. How is this in a 3rd edition reprint already?
Linds
Jan 13, 2010 Linds rated it it was ok
Did the the diet for a day and felt ill. I'm one for more food. Although, there are some amazing smoothie recipes.
Becca
Jan 05, 2008 Becca rated it liked it
Recommended to Becca by: Lauren let me borrow it.
Good general advice. The only reason I didn't give it 4 or more stars is because I am not that hardcore.
Brandi
Apr 03, 2013 Brandi rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013, i-own-it
Lots of good info that I can use but I don't think I have it in me to do a 10 day juice fast.
Cherie
Jul 07, 2008 Cherie rated it it was ok
B- Very interesting; good advice on starting a detox.
Grandma Judy
Oct 12, 2008 Grandma Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good, basic detox plan.
Carrie
Jul 27, 2013 Carrie rated it it was amazing
Great tips to improve diet.
Perlita G.
Perlita G. marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Crystal Kay
Crystal Kay rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2016
Jerry Cinnamon
Jerry Cinnamon rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2016
Claire O'Brien
Claire O'Brien rated it really liked it
May 12, 2016
Bharat Singh
Bharat Singh rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2016
kathryn rafnson
kathryn rafnson marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Caitlyn Macias-Holt
Caitlyn Macias-Holt marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Dina L
Dina L rated it it was ok
Apr 28, 2016
Simone Anderson
Simone Anderson marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
  • The Complete Book of Herbs: A Practical Guide to Growing and Using Herbs
  • Suicide by Sugar: A Startling Look at Our #1 National Addiction
  • The UltraMetabolism Cookbook: 200 Delicious Recipes that Will Turn on Your Fat-Burning DNA
  • Juicing for Life: A Guide to the Benefits of Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Juicing
  • The Macrobiotic Way
  • The Fat Smash Diet: The Last Diet You'll Ever Need
  • Food and Healing
  • Eat Smart, Walk Strong: The Secrets to Effortless Weight Loss
  • The Spectrum: A Scientifically Proven Program to Feel Better, Live Longer, Lose Weight, and Gain Health
  • Green Smoothies Diet: The Natural Program for Extraordinary Health
  • Never Be Fat Again: The 6-Week Cellular Solution to Permanently Break the Fat Cy Ycle: The 6-week Cellular Solution to Permanently Break the Fat Cycle
  • Oil Pulling Therapy: Detoxifying and Healing the Body Through Oral Cleansing
  • Seven Pillars Of Health: The Natural Way To Better Health For Life
  • The Raw Food Detox Diet: The Five-Step Plan for Vibrant Health and Maximum Weight Loss
  • The Eat-Clean Diet Cookbook: Great-Tasting Recipes that Keep You Lean!
  • The Beck Diet Solution
  • The Body Ecology Diet: Recovering Your Health and Rebuilding Your Immunity
  • Most Effective Natural Cures on Earth: The Surprising Unbiased Truth about What Treatments Work and Why