Start by marking “Beast Master's Planet: Omnibus of Beast Master and Lord of Thunder” as Want to Read:
Beast Master's Planet: Omnibus of Beast Master and Lord of Thunder

Beast Master's Planet: Omnibus of Beast Master and Lord of Thunder (Beast Master / Hosteen Storm #1 & 2)

In 1959 Andre Norton published The Beast Master, a fast-paced science fiction adventure that introduced to readers a new kind of hero, Hosteen Storm. Storm, a Navajo from the American southwest, served in the Planetary Confederacy forces as a Beast Master teamed with an African eagle, a meercat, and a dune cat.

Telepathically linked to his team animals, Storm served valiant
Published April 1st 2007 by Tor Books (first published May 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Beast Master's Planet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beast Master's Planet

Michele bookloverforever
first read as a young teen....decades ago. reread recently. still a good story about finding your way in a strange world.
Jackie
The Beastmaster, Hosteen Storm, has been relocated to Arzor now that Earth has been destroyed. Storm travels to Arzor to meet a person that his grandfather had told him had murdered Storm’s father. In the course of dealing with a Xik attack/infestation (the Xik are the reason Earth is no more) they meet, the truth becomes known and all seems to end happily. Until the next crisis. It is amazing how well these stories have stood the test of time. ...more
Don Bradshaw
Jul 10, 2010 Don Bradshaw rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
A good read for any sci-fi fan. This edition contains two books which take place on the terra colonized planet Aezor which has its own territorial natives and their animals along with ancient ruins. Hosteen Storm is a terran Amerindian and beast master who has a special afinity withcertain animals. He is also a comando trying to live as a native American Indian. Andre Norton wove an excellent book in this short series.
Douglas Cook
I first read Norton's work 45 years ago in high school. (yes I am old). The Beastmaster novels are typical of Norton's style. Theme and content place these books in the YA camp. However I am still fascinated by the use she makes of telepathy between Hosteen and his animal colleagues. I think her treatment of Navajo culture on another planet is worth reading , as well. It still holds up for me.
Anne
Nov 24, 2010 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. The first story in this Omnibus was great. The second story, Lord of Thunder, I had a few problems with. The man searching for his son was the impetus of the story, but it fizzled in my opinion, and what was the son's name? Was he ever there? Maybe the name was mentioned early and I forgot. And another thing, not once in this entire story was a woman even mentioned. No females on the planet? sheesh. Is that what the scifi writing climate was like back in 1962?
Carol
Jun 12, 2010 Carol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: swap
I picked this up on a table at B & N. I remembered the old 'Beast Master' movies on TV years ago and was curious. I seems the only similarities were the main characters. A man (Storm in the novel, Dar in the movie) his large cat, an eagle, and a couple of ferrets (Meerkats in the book).
I had not read any Andre Norton before, and it is good SF reading!
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 Theresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
Beast Master's Planet: Omnibus of Beast Master and Lord of Thunder
Norton, Andre
a master of story telling the beast master explores the universe solving problems and mastering circumstance
Michael Laflamme
Jun 13, 2015 Michael Laflamme rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Norton always shines!

Great yarn that pulls us back to a more hopeful age of both science and science fiction. Norton still holds her own.
Krystal Hickam
Jun 30, 2013 Krystal Hickam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a fantastic book, that anyone on the scifi genre or even fans of native american culture can enjoy. If you ever watched the movies you owe it to yourselves to read this book.
Lou
Sep 07, 2016 Lou rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Andre Norton was an excellent story teller.
Beverly
May 13, 2015 Beverly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I forgot how much I enjoyed Andre Norton 30 years ago. She just sucks you into her world.
Mark Zodda
Jun 19, 2015 Mark Zodda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good stories. Reminded me why I liked her when I was a teen.
Stephanie Leong
Stephanie Leong rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2009
Jqualey
Jqualey rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2015
Leilani Paki
Leilani Paki rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2015
Ann aka Iftcan
Ann aka Iftcan rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2010
John Speelman
John Speelman rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2016
Jeffrey
Jeffrey rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2015
CR
CR rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2010
Jay
Jay rated it it was amazing
Feb 29, 2012
Terry Beadles
Terry Beadles rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2016
Erin K Smith
Erin K Smith rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2016
Steve Fouse
Steve Fouse rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2013
Mark Cook
Mark Cook rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2016
Greg Hatcher
Greg Hatcher rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2010
Dona Jensen
Dona Jensen rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2015
Amelia
Amelia rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2013
David
David rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2016
Marlena
Marlena rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2014
Jari-pekka
Jari-pekka rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Exiled (Clan of the Claw, #1)
  • Two Moons Rising
  • Raven's Children (Sequoyah, #2)
  • Uncommon Purpose (The Hope Island Chronicles Book 1)
  • The Hidden Worlds (The Hidden Worlds #1)
  • Unchained
  • Primeval: Shadow of the Jaguar (Primeval, #5)
  • The Deep Beyond: Cuckoo's Egg / Serpent's Reach (Union-Alliance Universe)
  • The Legion of Space
  • Sexy Beast VIII (Sexy Beast #8)
  • Northwest of Earth: The Complete Northwest Smith
  • Gaymes
  • Vitalis Omnibus
  • The Return of Patrick O'Rourke (Jamesville, #3)
  • Hostiles (The Galactic Mage #3)
  • Only Human (The Targon Tales, #2)
  • The Final Key (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #11; The Triad, #2)
  • The Earth Book of Stormgate
Alice Mary Norton always had an affinity to the humanities. She started writing in her teens, inspired by a charismatic high school teacher. First contacts with the publishing world led her, as many other contemporary female writers targeting a male-dominated market, to choose a literary pseudonym. In 1934 she legally changed her name to Andre Alice. The androgynous Andre doesn't really say "male" ...more
More about Andre Norton...

Beast Master / Hosteen Storm (7 books)
  • The Beast Master (Beast Master / Hosteen Storm, #1)
  • Lord Of Thunder (Beast Master / Hosteen Storm, #2)
  • Beast Master's Ark
  • Beast Master's Circus (Beast Master / Hosteen Storm, #4)
  • Beast Master's Quest