Start by marking “Walter el Perro Pedorrero: Walter the Farting Dog, Spanish-Language Edition” as Want to Read:
Walter el Perro Pedorrero: Walter the Farting Dog, Spanish-Language Edition

Walter el Perro Pedorrero: Walter the Farting Dog, Spanish-Language Edition (Walter the Farting Dog #1)

3.88  ·  Rating Details ·  2,531 Ratings  ·  387 Reviews
Book by Kotzwinkle, William, Murray, Glenn
Published March 10th 2004 by Frog Children's Books (first published October 10th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Walter el Perro Pedorrero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Walter el Perro Pedorrero

Petra Eggs
Jul 06, 2008 Petra Eggs rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour, reviewed
This is one of the only two books in Latin I've ever read. Mostly because the only Latin I know I learned during school detentions. That and the Greek alphabet. I had started on Hannibal coming over the mountains, but I didn't get very far as I got expelled and that put a stop to the Latin lessons.

Walter the Farting Dog is very funny in English, but in Latin it's totally hilarious. I mostly sell the book to lawyers and accountants, small boys get the English version with the attached whoopee cus
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

If you’re a parent of a child who doesn’t like to read (like I am), it’s all about finding material that will keep their interest. What could possibly be more interesting to a kid than farts? And what could possibly be more hilariously disgusting than the paint melting stench of a dog’s fart????

Dallas Commercial Photography

Billy and Betty think Walter is the perfect addition for their family. Unfortunately, his stank rump is causing their father to think differen
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Kids who like to laugh at bodily functions (and what kid doesn't?) will enjoy the adventures of Walter the Farting Dog. This was one of our kids' favorite picture books for several years. The illustrations are quirky and funny and fit the text, and the book has an affirmative message (even dogs that fart incessantly can be useful and loved!).

At our local elementary school, there was a tradition in our son's 1st grade class for the birthday kids to bring in one of their parents to read one of the
Kathryn
When I worked at Borders during the holiday break one December during my undergrad years, Walter the Farting Dog had just made its debut and I was at once amazed and slightly appalled at how many people came in asking for it, right down to embarrassed grandmothers whispering the book's title with sheepish sideways glances. I really never felt compelled to read it, but then I recently stumbled across the reviews of some of the newer books in the series (yes, it's a series!) and I was bemused by t ...more
Malbadeen
I hate this book. I mean I really, really hate this book. I've got nothing against dogs and potty humor - well,whatever I don't really care about that one way or the other.

but here's the thing,

I'm in a class with a group of people that have never taught before, they all want to teach high school language arts. On the day we were to discuss Picture books - yay! picture books! I was excited by the prospect of this group of people being able to re-discover and discover some great books that can be
Ann
Jul 20, 2011 Ann rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
I could really find little redeeming value here. It's not that I mind a good gassy book - I can laugh and giggle over the tales of toots for ages. But, to me, the story-telling here just felt forced, and there didn't seem to be anything special in the writing. Plus, the illustrations kind of wigged me out.

That said, what I really could not support was the horrible attitude of the father. After the two children bring Walter home from the pound (where nobody wanted him, but they loved him), the fa
Ronyell
Walter

“Walter the Farting Dog” is an extremely unique book created by William Kotzwinkle and Glenn Murray along with illustrations by Audrey Colman. This book is about how an innocent dog-named Walter has some serious gas problems to the chagrin of his new family. “Walter the Farting Dog” will have the entire family rolling around laughing for many years.

William Kotzwinkle and Glenn Murray’s story about a farting dog is truly unique since there has never been a children’s book that focused solely on
Christina
I read this book to my students & they adored it. Many of them took it home to read with their parents...that to me is awesome. :) Good book on compassion for kids...

(I originally bought this book to send to my 3-year old niece so that my mother would have to read it to her and naturally, it would torture my mother to say the word "fart" a million times over...;) )
May 11, 2008 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-lit
Rife with middle school humor, this could aptly be billed as having been written "expressively with the adolescent male in mind." A little too flat (ulent) for my taste but then I'm not a twelve-year-old boy.
Kristina
Oct 05, 2007 Kristina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kidstuff
I read this one with Alex while I was teaching him reading a couple years ago. I really did not like it. Other than the subject matter, it isn't written well and the illustrations are odd and don't make me want to look at them. There are much better kids books out there.
Suzanne
I read this in a bookstore and just think this is one of the funniest books ever. Everything about it is well done.
Auntee
Jun 08, 2009 Auntee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
What can I say? The nephews loved it.:)
Mariel
Feb 15, 2015 Mariel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the pungent odor of a stale dog fart
Recommended to Mariel by: this is walter!
Walter's farts aren't hurting anyone. It wasn't enough that the adults could blame their own toots on poor Walter (he really is responsible for mine, though. He's a ventriloquist pooter). The not-very-fun adult father laid down the law. The vet sticks his cold instruments up you-know-sunny places and then just says he can't eat anything good anymore. Doctors always say that! Shhh, doctor, but health food is gaseous too (I hear sugar free is the road to diarrhea). So it is The Pound! They don't e ...more
Amanda
Sep 04, 2008 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: aunts and uncles of small children
Shelves: here-be-dogs
The story is funny, but it's the illustrations that take this book into the realm of "must own". Walter is a good dog who just happens to have, hum, digestive difficulties. His children love him, but Mom, Dad, the Uncle, and the Vet decide that Walter has to go. Only a last minute triumph by a very flatulent Walter saves the day.

I read this to the kids subsituting the word "tooting" for "farting" - on the direction of their parents. I think we should go ahead and call a fart a fart, but I'm only
John Ginn
Sep 03, 2008 John Ginn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well it's a children's book, and silly as hell, and all I can say is that it made me laugh so hard that other people were looking at me like they thought I was nuts.

As in his writing for adults, Kotzwinkle's prose is a textbook example on how to avoid extra words. He's a master at creating humorous rhythm in his sentence construction, so that sometimes he can get a laugh by simply throwing an oddball cadence into the mix. One sentence had only two words: Walter farted. With the context and build
Jeremy
Aug 06, 2007 Jeremy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dog fart likers
If this book had been around when I was little, I probably would have wept with gratitiude. As it stands, it mainly brings to mind just how unpleasant dog farts are. Really nothing funny about them at all. They don't even make a funny noise most of the time. Occasionally they might emit a "suss". Nothing funny about suss. You get up on stage and say "suss" into the mike, they're liable to boo you right out of the place.

Dog farts make a room smell like steaming, putrid ham without warning. They
Cindy
Apr 19, 2010 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this at a certain five-year-old friend's birthday party this weekend. Okay, so I had more than a few margaritas, but a few of the lines were genuinely funny. The illustrations were lovingly cringe-worthy but amusing. I'm thinking a lot of kids without dogs might start calling their dad "Walter!"
Rebekah
Jul 11, 2008 Rebekah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My mom was having a rough time of things, so we went to a bookstore, because is there really any better place to go to cheer up? We saw this book, and I made her sit down while I read it to her out loud. She was very embarrassed, but also very amused. We both know a Walter. Everyone knows a Walter.
The Cute Little Brown-haired girl
This is on the shelf of the exam room at my doctors office. (Nice to know she has a sense of humor, eh?) I read it when I was waiting and laughed my ass off!!! Get it for your kid when they realize that there is a trumpet in their butt. Or, when the dog lets one during dinner. It is hilarious.
Robyn
Aug 29, 2016 Robyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
very funny, and a great story for small kids
Dolly
Oct 13, 2008 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2008, pets
A great story about adopting a good, deserving animal, warts (oops, I mean farts) and all. Our girls really enjoyed this one. Unique illustrations, too.
Kate
Dec 20, 2014 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My kids think this is the funniest book ever and will read it over and over and over again.
Robert Beveridge
William Kotzwinkle and Glenn Murray, Walter the Farting Dog (Frog, Inc., 2001)

One of the more challenged books in school libraries since its 2001 debut, Walter the Farting Dog does one thing, and it does it very well: take something that kids find irresistibly hilarious and use it as a shoehorn to attach a story about difference and belonging. It's quite clever, given that, and one has to wonder whether those who would like to see it taken off the shelves object to the dog's endless flatulence o
Rhea
Other than the... eyecatching title (which admittedly, was what drew me to the story), Walter the Fating Dog has nothing new to offer.

This story has been done again and again, even in songs ("Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer"): Main character has an odd trait (flatulence), other chracters mock/bully/don't accept him (Walter needs to hold in his farts, otherwise he will be disowned by the family), but then there is Conflict which is resolved by the MC's special trait (robbers come and Walter farts a
Sophie
Feb 03, 2011 Sophie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A dog-lover friend gifted this book to a fellow dog-lover (me!) and I simply loved the book. It takes away pretense and it takes away dignity in just the way having a dog or a small child does for adults. Dignity and poise are difficult when you have a gassy dog, or a dog ready to poop on your neighbour's lawn as you nervously stoop to scoop. A dog brings you to what is important in life and Walter is a delight. I also used this and one other Walter the Farting Dog book in a library program for ...more
Typhani
Summary: This story is set in a realistic ordinary family, and deals with ideas and attitudes about pets. The overarching theme is how one discusses with a young child "passing gas" - a new concept to very young children. It carries the message that we can all be heroes, whatever our quirks and habits. (Thanks powells.com!)

Audience: Ages 4-8

Genre: Picture Book

Use: Read Aloud, Guided Reading

Life Lessons: Teaches children about the importance of having manners, yet how everyone has the same habits
Heather
Feb 23, 2008 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children
Recommended to Heather by: self, Joseph
Shelves: children, humorous
This book is so funny your kids will pass out from laughing - or is that the gas?

Poor Walter can't get no love. He's stinky. He farts all the time. No one can stand to be around him. But don't worry, he will get the chance to prove himself, and everyone will fall in love with Walter, though they still won't want to be anywhere near him!

* I read this to my class because I let each one choose a book they wanted me to read. It figures that a kid would bring this one in. I rolled my eyes the second
Stephanie
Apr 28, 2011 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I bought my first Walter the Farting Dog I'm at Science City in Union Station in Kansas City, MO. I was about 45 and my mother was with me and she was 70. I'm a teacher and my mother was a retired teacher so she and I love to look at kid's books. Anyway I start reading it out loud and we get to laughing so hard we had tears running from our eyes. I think the personnel that ran the gift shop were glad when we finally checked out. From time to time I would read it again to her just to laugh. ...more
Kaethe
Yeah, he farts.

That's pretty much it.

No doubt many will find this hilarious. While I like to think I could love a pet regardless of his failings, ill-health, or whatever, something won't let me love a book character just because he farts, and farting dogs need love, too.

I'm a good parent because I read this to my kid. I'm a bad parent because, to my relief, she didn't really love it either. I'm a good reviewer because I haven't made a single fart pun.

There, I've written "fart" four (now five!) t
Greg Scowen
Jul 14, 2012 Greg Scowen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
A good simple message wrapped up in a poorly written, awfully illustrated, and boring story full of terrible messages that over-shadow the good one.

No problem with the gassy content whatsoever but failed to find anything humorous among it. The whole book just seemed like it was trying to hard. If it really does bring a few young boys to reading, great. I just hope they find something more worth their time shortly after they read this.

I won't bother showing it to my daughter. At 2, she demands mu
  • Help Me, Mr. Mutt!: Expert Answers for Dogs with People Problems
  • Mind Your Manners, B.B. Wolf
  • Green Wilma
  • Stanley's Party
  • Scaredy Squirrel at the Beach (Scaredy Squirrel)
  • The Sissy Duckling
  • Skeleton Hiccups
  • The Butt Book
  • Good Boy, Fergus!
  • Henry & the Buccaneer Bunnies
  • Roslyn Rutabaga and the Biggest Hole on Earth!
William Kotzwinkle is a two-time recipient of the National Magazine Award for Fiction, a winner of the World Fantasy Award, the Prix Litteraire des Bouquinistes des Quais de Paris, the PETA Award for Children's Books, and a Book Critics Circle award nominee. His work has been translated into dozens of languages.
More about William Kotzwinkle...

Walter the Farting Dog (5 books)
  • Walter the Farting Dog: Trouble At the Yard Sale