Jerome and the Seraph

Jerome and the Seraph (Quantum Cat #1)

3.19 of 5 stars 3.19  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  8 reviews

Brother Jerome's death came as a surprise to him. So did the
afterworld. There were no cherubs, no harps, no fluffy white clouds. Jerome had
pictured the afterworld as a traditional sort of place. Leo, Jerome's pet cat
from the friary, turns up to say hello -- literally. Jerome is shocked, for he
hadn't known that the cat could talk. Nor had he known the cat's real name wa

Published December 31st 2004 by Twilight Times Books (TN) (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Jerome and the Seraph, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jerome and the Seraph

Philip
For much of this story - especially the beginning - I kept thinking how much this writing and story reminded me of Neil Gaiman, which is kinda weird since I've only ever read one of his books and watched a movie based on one of his book. But that comparison stuck for me, regardless.

This is a quick story to read, but the author tries to delve into some really deep topics. Unfortunately, the way the author goes about doing this involves a lot of Jerry sitting and thinking to himself or monologuing...more
Sheila
Told masterfully from multiple points of view, Robina Williams’ Jerome and the Seraph, first in her Quantum Cat series, is a beautifully quiet, slow tale set in the fields and forests, monasteries and village homes, and even churches of the English countryside. Since the protagonist is unexpectedly dead, it’s also set somewhere else, but Jerome takes a while to work out where this “other side” is and how closely it relates to the world we all know.

Jerome hasn’t “passed away.” He’s “passed on.” T...more
Juliana Rew
I became acquainted with author Robina Williams, when she wrote a
story for the Third Flatiron Anthology, "Over the Brink: Tales of
Environmental Disaster." Her excellent short story, "Essence of Bat,"
was a suspenseful horror tale about how the angry king of the bats,
Camatoz, awakens to punish the humans who are killing his bats.

Robina has also written a series of novels called "Quantum Cat," with
"Jerome and the Seraph" as the initial entry. The basic premise is the
fascinating paradox of Schroding...more
Paul
At a rural friary in Britain, Brother Jerome slips and cracks his head open on the gravestone of Brother Aloysius. Jerome is killed instantly. When he wakes up, he is not in Heaven, but alone in a gray, featureless sort of place. The first person he meets is Brother Aloysius, who apologizes for the circumstances of Jerome’s death. Jerome eventually meets up with all the dead Brothers of the friary. The "leader" or "guide" of the group is Leo, an orange tabby cat who wandered into the friary one...more
Chris
Interesting idea, but writing could be a little better.
Mary
A very light read in a short book. It follows the after-life of Jerome and the parish he was from. Jerome learns more about his beliefs in the after-life than he did as a priest. He also learns that the after-life isn't what he expected and there's more going on around home than he thought.

My only disappointment was the ending. It explains some of what was happening, but didn't resolve it. Likely that's what the author intended, making you think about what you/Jerome learned in the story. I was...more
Robert Walsh
I enjoyed the book, but I'm afraid it was filled with symbolism that I didn't truly understand. It was engaging but without any real plot that I could discern. I kept reading, hoping that I would grasp the storyline with the next page turn. To me, it ended somewhat abruptly. I think the fact that I wanted to continue reading despite the fact that I could not find the point says something about the author's ability to hook and entertain the reader. I look forward to the sequel, Angelus.
Linda
It was a fun read with some interesting philosophy. Plus, I love science, and a cat named Quantum who seems dead and alive at the same time - how could I resist?
Tegan
Tegan marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Cindy Chapman
Cindy Chapman marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Al4jax
Al4jax marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Brijesh Kartha
Brijesh Kartha marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Buran
Buran marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Kristin Lambert
Kristin Lambert marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Rhonda Cooper Russell
Rhonda Cooper Russell marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Randy Harmelink
Randy Harmelink marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Sharolyn
Sharolyn marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Robina Williams has an M.A. in Modern Languages from Oxford University and an M.Phil. in English Literature from Liverpool University. It occurred to her that Schrödinger's dead-and-alive Cat would make an interesting character for fantasy novels. She began her Quantum Cat series with “Jerome and the Seraph” in 2004; “Angelos” followed in 2006, and “Gaea” in September 2009.
More about Robina Williams...
Angelos Gaea Redshifted: Martian Stories (Third Flatiron Anthologies, Volume 2, Winter 2013) In the Darkness Over the Brink: Tales of Environmental Disaster (Third Flatiron Anthologies, Volume 1, Spring 2012)