Start by marking “Jerome and the Seraph” as Want to Read:
Jerome and the Seraph

Jerome and the Seraph (Quantum Cat #1)

Brother Jerome's death came as a surprise to him. So did the
afterworld. There were no cherubs, no harps, no fluffy white clouds. Jerome had
pictured the afterworld as a traditional sort of place. Leo, Jerome's pet cat
from the friary, turns up to say hello -- literally. Jerome is shocked, for he
hadn't known that the cat could talk. Nor had he known the cat's real name w

Published December 31st 2004 by Twilight Times Books (TN) (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Jerome and the Seraph, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jerome and the Seraph

Philip
Jun 24, 2011 Philip rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-lendable
For much of this story - especially the beginning - I kept thinking how much this writing and story reminded me of Neil Gaiman, which is kinda weird since I've only ever read one of his books and watched a movie based on one of his book. But that comparison stuck for me, regardless.

This is a quick story to read, but the author tries to delve into some really deep topics. Unfortunately, the way the author goes about doing this involves a lot of Jerry sitting and thinking to himself or monologuing
Sheila
Aug 13, 2013 Sheila rated it it was amazing
Told masterfully from multiple points of view, Robina Williams’ Jerome and the Seraph, first in her Quantum Cat series, is a beautifully quiet, slow tale set in the fields and forests, monasteries and village homes, and even churches of the English countryside. Since the protagonist is unexpectedly dead, it’s also set somewhere else, but Jerome takes a while to work out where this “other side” is and how closely it relates to the world we all know.

Jerome hasn’t “passed away.” He’s “passed on.” T
Juliana Rew
Mar 30, 2013 Juliana Rew rated it really liked it
I became acquainted with author Robina Williams, when she wrote a
story for the Third Flatiron Anthology, "Over the Brink: Tales of
Environmental Disaster." Her excellent short story, "Essence of Bat,"
was a suspenseful horror tale about how the angry king of the bats,
Camatoz, awakens to punish the humans who are killing his bats.

Robina has also written a series of novels called "Quantum Cat," with
"Jerome and the Seraph" as the initial entry. The basic premise is the
fascinating paradox of Schroding
Paul
Aug 05, 2007 Paul rated it really liked it
At a rural friary in Britain, Brother Jerome slips and cracks his head open on the gravestone of Brother Aloysius. Jerome is killed instantly. When he wakes up, he is not in Heaven, but alone in a gray, featureless sort of place. The first person he meets is Brother Aloysius, who apologizes for the circumstances of Jerome’s death. Jerome eventually meets up with all the dead Brothers of the friary. The "leader" or "guide" of the group is Leo, an orange tabby cat who wandered into the friary one ...more
Sarah Crawford
Feb 09, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brother Jerome hits his head on a headstone and dies. A friar visits him briefly and then he runs into a cat named Quantum which talks to him.

No one waiting for him, although one friar visits him briefly. Brother Jerome has a hard time going from the afterlife place to the living world and back. He rather easily gets panicky doing that, though.

Then there's a chapter examining the various men at the friary and what kind of personalities and weaknesses they have, including a weakness for women.

Q
Robert Walsh
Aug 30, 2011 Robert Walsh rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the book, but I'm afraid it was filled with symbolism that I didn't truly understand. It was engaging but without any real plot that I could discern. I kept reading, hoping that I would grasp the storyline with the next page turn. To me, it ended somewhat abruptly. I think the fact that I wanted to continue reading despite the fact that I could not find the point says something about the author's ability to hook and entertain the reader. I look forward to the sequel, Angelus.
Mary
Jul 30, 2008 Mary rated it really liked it
A very light read in a short book. It follows the after-life of Jerome and the parish he was from. Jerome learns more about his beliefs in the after-life than he did as a priest. He also learns that the after-life isn't what he expected and there's more going on around home than he thought.

My only disappointment was the ending. It explains some of what was happening, but didn't resolve it. Likely that's what the author intended, making you think about what you/Jerome learned in the story. I was
Linda
It was a fun read with some interesting philosophy. Plus, I love science, and a cat named Quantum who seems dead and alive at the same time - how could I resist?
Chris
Apr 12, 2014 Chris rated it did not like it
Interesting idea, but writing could be a little better.
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2012
Cek  virabey
Cek virabey rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2016
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was ok
Dec 07, 2016
Anne-Marie Wright
Anne-Marie Wright rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2016
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2017
Crystal
Crystal rated it it was ok
Apr 26, 2011
Delight K Gallano
Delight K Gallano rated it did not like it
Jan 13, 2014
D S Lucey
D S Lucey rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2016
Mark Easter
Mark Easter rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2010
Sunny Graham
Sunny Graham rated it liked it
May 16, 2014
Marcus
Marcus rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2011
Printemps
Printemps rated it did not like it
May 02, 2014
Kim S
Kim S rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2011
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2014
Trinity
Trinity rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2011
Emma
Emma rated it did not like it
Apr 02, 2011
Jerome Campbell
Jerome Campbell rated it it was ok
Feb 08, 2017
Christina McMullen
Christina McMullen rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2014
June
June rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2011
Rhonda
Rhonda rated it it was ok
Mar 28, 2015
Barbara Hodges
Barbara Hodges rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2008
« previous 1 3 next »
  • The Sword Lord
  • Tremolo: Cry of the Loon
  • One Small Victory
  • The Little Known
  • The Maverick Experiment
  • Danu, The Return (The Hussies #5.5)
  • Spirit Lifter (Phantom Lovers #4)
  • Wild Desire (Wild, #2)
  • The N00b Warriors (The N00b Warriors #1)
  • Reaper's Justice (WesternWind #7.5)
  • The Silver Ring
  • Maui Heat
  • Haunted by the Past
  • Seychelles Sunset (Cougar Challenge #2.5)
  • The Branding
  • Memory of Morning
  • Nate (Devils on Horseback,  #1)
  • Her Very Special Robot
Robina Williams has an M.A. in Modern Languages from Oxford University and an M.Phil. in English Literature from Liverpool University. It occurred to her that Schrödinger's dead-and-alive Cat would make an interesting character for fantasy novels. She began her Quantum Cat series with “Jerome and the Seraph” in 2004; “Angelos” followed in 2006, and “Gaea” in September 2009.
More about Robina Williams...

Quantum Cat (3 books)