Start by marking “The Love Season” as Want to Read:
The Love Season

The Love Season

3.64  ·  Rating Details ·  7,416 Ratings  ·  541 Reviews
When Renata, newly engaged to a wealthy Nantucket summer boy, comes to the island to visit her fiancee's family, she decides to confront her tragic past. She goes against her fathers wishes and visits Marguerite, the godmother shes been forbidden to see her entire lifethe one person who can unlock the mystery surrounding her mothers untimely death. But Marguerites life is ...more
Published May 30th 2006 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Love Season, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Love Season

skein
Jun 03, 2011 skein rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2-star, 2011
I dunno who the (expletive) titled this book, but they were on crack.

A frustrating read. Hilderbrand apparently operates under the delusion that a book takes only a few stock characters and a hint of mysterious mystery that isn't explained until the very end, bake at 500 degrees for fifteen minutes stir twice, success!
Why, Elin? (Can I call you Elin?) You had the ingredients for creme brulee au chocolat and you settled for microwave brownies. WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS TO YOURSELF? & more import
Marleen
Jun 20, 2011 Marleen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: elin-hilderbrand
So far I’ve read five other Elin Hilderbrand’s books and I generally enjoy her stories set on Nantucket. Hilderbrand’s writing style is fluent and very pleasant. In my opinion, she’s quite good in creating cozy atmospheres. So, I have not (yet) grown tired of this author, and maybe I never will. Eventhough I didn’t like “The Love Season” as much as her other books, it was still an okay read and I was interested to get to the end.
The reason why I wasn’t enthralled with this story has everything
Margie Rogers
It's hard to finish a book when you don't like the characters you are reading about. I did finish, but even then I was disappointed at the abrupt ending.
I was very dismayed at the behavior of Renata. How much in love with Cade could she have been if she was eying Miles from the minute she meet him? Not what you would expect of a newly engaged 19 year old, where is her depth? The tantrum in the kitchen was so far over the top, that I almost put the book down right there. The only reason I kept r
Carol Brill
Hard not to admire an author who can write a 294 page novel that takes place in one day. Not my favorite Elin Hilderbrand novel. Liked the last quarter better than the rest of the story.
Holli
Oct 26, 2008 Holli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Love Season is another great one by Ms. Hilderbrand! I really love her books. This one took place over the course of two days but flip flopped between current happenings and past recollections from the characters so it was like two stories in one. The character development was exquisite and I couldn't wait to learn their secrets. The only thing I wished for while reading was more.... more development, more story, more background..... but what she gave her readers was still good.
Yvette (hooked on the nook)
In my opinion the way Erin captured Margo's character as a chef and the delightful description of all the different food variations that swirled in her head constantly as a way of describing emotions and events of life made this a good read.
Alanna
Jun 07, 2016 Alanna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was by far the least enjoyable Elin Hilderbrand book. I found myself bored and not caring for the characters. Don't recommend, she has so many wonderful novels! This is not one of them!
Kerry
Apr 20, 2017 Kerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars - Interesting story, though dragged a little in places. Interesting twist I wasn't expecting at the end.
BJ
Not my favorite by this author, but it was readable and kept the pages turning. The entire book covered just one day in the life of the characters, but the main character did a lot of flashing back, so we got the whole back story. The main character, Margo, used to be a chef with her own restaurant in Nantucket. It is her story, as well as her best friend, Candace (who is dead), Candace's husband, Dan, and Candace's brother, Porter (who was Margo's lover). It is the story of their friendships, r ...more
Joan
Oct 05, 2014 Joan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Of the books I've read my Hilderbrand this one I didn't like. Marguerite meets Porter in Paris. They are a couple in Marguerite's mind. His sister, Candace is her best friend. After 15 years, Porter tells Marguerite he is marrying another. (It shouldn't be a shock, he sees Marguerite only in the summer and is pictured in the newspapers with many other women.) Candace is killed by a drunk driver while trying to console Marguerite. Renata, Candace's daughter returns to Nantucket after 15 years and ...more
Michelle
Apr 08, 2015 Michelle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had high hopes for this book based on others I've read in the past by Hilderbrand, but it unfortunately didn’t meet my standards, mainly because of the style it was written in. If Hilderbrand chose a different approach the story could have been very moving. While some parts I struggled to read through, the looming mystery got me to the end, which ended up extremely unsatisfying.

To read my full review, check out my blog:
Kim
Jun 12, 2014 Kim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
eh... Hilderbrand can rank herself up there with all the children's and YA authors who love to have a motherless protagonist. This one was just so-so. I do like all of the food she includes in her books. I gave it an extra star because of the food.
Maryann
May 31, 2014 Maryann rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I could only give this one an ok. It had some elements I do like -- such as peculiarity in characters, but overall it was depressing. The author has written other books I've enjoyed quite a bit more. I guess there was just too much regret in the reminiscing in this one.
Jenny
May 31, 2008 Jenny marked it as stopped-reading  ·  review of another edition
I had to put it down because I just can't get into it at this point. I hope to pick it up again soon.
Gill Brown
Jan 10, 2017 Gill Brown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really good book I thoroughly enjoyed it. Draws you in from first few pages.
Deb
Jul 16, 2013 Deb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you enjoy cooking this book is a perfect recipe!!
Suzanne
Not her best, but I did enjoy it!
Carrie
Jul 21, 2008 Carrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of her best twists at the end. Loved it!
Bridgett
It appears I enjoyed this book more than most readers. Typically, I hate books that take place in one 24 hour period...I find them drawn out, contrived, and tedious. But this book, written from several viewpoints and bouncing back and forth in time, didn't bother me as much as most. The Love Season isn't a typical Elin Hilderbrand book, although it does still go in depth about her beloved Nantucket. Is it one of her best? No. Is it as awful as some reviewers say? No. It's just an average story w ...more
Linda Owen
One of those books told from several points of view -- not my favorite literary device -- but an interesting read. Marguerite is too dependent on her friendship with Candace, and becomes jealous of Candace's relationship with her husband, Daniel Knox. There is a terrible outcome, and lives are changed. Years later, Candace's daughter, Marguerite's goddaughter comes to find her. And we learn all the truth.
Karen
May 03, 2017 Karen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As you can see it took me a loonnng time to read this one. Before I picked up this book, I had read many other E.H. books and loved them all. I agree with the reviews that came before mine. It kept me interested enough to want to finish it but it took me nearly two years of picking it up and putting it down, reading many many other books in between to finally get through it.
Heather Gothard
I loved this book, I connected with the characters, I followed the story...and then Elin, who has long been one of my favorite writers, just drops you at the end. So many story lines she doesn't close up or even update, it's just not fair to the reader. It's so disappointing to get involved in a book just to not even feel like you had one bit of closure.
Elizabeth
This is probably the worst book I've read by this author. It was bland and kind of slow with characters that were hard to like. The entire book took place over the course of twenty four hours with tons of flashbacks.
Josefa Wann

The story takes place in one day and multiple flashbacks in, where else? Nantucket.
I enjoyed the writing about the restaurant, and the food etc. But the ending was "much ado about nothing"
The title has really nothing to do with the story.
Teresa Schiltz
I read this book in 2017, after many other Hilderbrand books. The absolute worst book that I have read by this author. I wound up skimming through the long memories of Beale character. It was boring.
Tracy
Jun 20, 2017 Tracy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Narrated across decades through various perspectives, this is a story of love, loss, forgiveness and redemption. "It should be illegal to get married before you've traveled on at least three continents, had four lovers, and held down a serious job." Wise advice, indeed.
Rebecca Richmond
A good beach read, skimmed a lot of it, but still enjoyable.
Just didn't grab my attention. Finished it, but nit a huge fan of this one!
Julie
Jun 09, 2017 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good summer read. I love the setting of Nantucket. She would not have wanted my pity, but I did feel quite badly for Marguerite and what her life had become.
Alison
Jun 22, 2017 Alison rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't too fond of this one... hard to get into and didn't care for the ending
  • Beachcombers
  • The Summer Of Us
  • Sand Castles
  • Peppermint Creek Inn (Undercover, #1)
  • Kisses to Remember
  • Letters From Home
  • If You Believe
  • Beach Trip
  • In the Arms of Danger
  • A Million Wishes (Wishes, #1)
  • Driftwood Summer
  • The Beach House (The Beach House #1)
  • Deadly Dance (A-Tac, #5)
  • The Goodbye Summer
  • Swimming Lessons
  • Pawleys Island (Lowcountry Tales, #5)
Elin Hilderbrand lives on Nantucket with her husband and their three young children. She grew up in Collegeville, Pennsylvania, and traveled extensively before settling on Nantucket, which has been the setting for her five previous novels. Hilderbrand is a graduate of Johns Hopkins University and the graduate fiction workshop at the University of Iowa.

Facebook.com/ElinHilderbrand

Pinterest.com/Elin
More about Elin Hilderbrand...

“It was like we had known all along that the sky was going to fall and then it fell and we pretended to be surprised.” 9 likes