Start by marking “Stepcoupling: Creating and Sustaining a Strong Marriage in Today's Blended Family” as Want to Read:

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  100 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Love may be sweeter the second time around, but once the bliss of a newfound relationship wears off a little, the reality of being part of a stepfamily sets in. If you are one of the millions of remarried Americans facing the challenge of blending two existing families into one cohesive whole, you are part of a stepcouple—and you know all too well how hard it can be to mak ...more
Published December 18th 2007 by Harmony (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Stepcoupling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stepcoupling

Julie
As a stepmom in a blended family, I found this book helpful in many ways. The authors offer what seems to me to be sound advice, and the many examples they quote from actual stepcouples helped put my experience in perspective. They also cover a wide range of subject material, and so almost every possible issue gets addressed in one way or another.

But in spite of these positive qualities, this book has such serious faults that I cannot recommend it. It's primary flaws are three:

a) It equates firs
Crystal
It's no wonder the couples given as examples have issues. Half of this book is just common sense while the other half is a smack in the head to relationship-challenged people.
Tom
I found this book helpful mostly in showing some of the issues I would face coming into a family as a soon-to-be stepparent. It does a good job of exploring the dynamics between the two adults as well as between the parent and child and between the stepparent and child. Pretty useful as a primer, as long as you keep in mind that your situation is unique and won't exactly replicate any of the cases discussed in the book.
Jess Dollar
I thought this was a great little book on how to deal with the challenges of blended families. It's a quick read and I found it really hit the nail on the head many times!
Kristi
This book kind of rubbed me the wrong way. It was really badly organized. It jumped all over the place with no logic whatsoever. In addition, the authors interviewed about five "step couples" and use their anecdotes on pretty much every single page. I got really tired of hearing stories from "Julie, age 41, step coupling for four years." The advice isn't bad if you can actually get through the book though. It also seems like it would be validating and thought provoking for couples who are just b ...more
Erin
May 05, 2010 Erin rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: divorced parents and their significant others
I found this book to be very reassuring. It made me realize my experiences were not all that unique, and it's helping me be more patient with myself and my new family members. I do wish it had been more specific on how I should be handling my particular situation, but aside from including a live therapist with each copy of the book, I don't know how the authors could do that. Well, they could focus less on couples where both have kids and more on couples where only one does. That would help me. ...more
Kam
provides some good information that is very general in scope. would like to see a book that focuses more on individual case studies instead of a collection of quotations scattered throughout the text. also very parent-centric (both partners already have children from previous relationships). was hoping it would have more insight on individuals who did not already have children...
Elaine
Wow. So many good bits of advice in this book whether or not you're dealing with a step family situation. I'd actually like to have my sister read it for some of the stuff going on in her relationship! I might actually want to buy this book.
Gwen
So, why didn't I pick up this kind of book 10 years ago? Guess I just wasn't ready ; ) Would have been nice to know that it takes 4 -7 years for a step family to feel like a family and why.
Mike Henderson
Mike Henderson marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
Jason Teece
Jason Teece marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Carrie Shoup
Carrie Shoup marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Luke Metzger
Luke Metzger marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Jack
Jack marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015