Start by marking “I Am a Backhoe” as Want to Read:
I Am a Backhoe

I Am a Backhoe

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  128 ratings  ·  35 reviews
"Dig, dig, dig. Lift, turn, tip.
I am . . .a backhoe."

In spare text and vibrant illustrations, a little boy pretends to be a bulldozer, a crane, a dump truck, and a roller. And finally, he parks on the couch with his father for a quiet moment.
Published January 12th 2010 by Tricycle Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about I Am a Backhoe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Am a Backhoe

Mary Anne
Cute, a little boy pretends to be a variety of trucks as he plays. Great illustrations. Little boys will want to read and them pretend they are trucks too!
Build a Home
Deep the cellar, timbers high,
(Both hands point down, then up -- arms full length.)
Pointed roof up in the sky,
(Bring fingertips together over the head.)
Drive the nails in straight and true,
(Hammer with one fist on the other.)
Build a house for me and you.
(Continue to hammer.)
Windows, shining eyes to see,
(Circle hands at eyes and 'peek' in.)
Doors open wide to welcome me,
(Open arms wide.)
Fire glowing, oh, so bright,
('Warm' hands in front of fire, then rub hands together.)
That is HOME on
A perfect book for toddlers who love trucks, this book invitingly combines imaginative play and real trucks. The little boy plays pretending to be a backhoe, a bulldozer, a roller, a flatbed truck, and more. As he plays, he describes what he is doing and then the reader gets to guess what kind of truck he is pretending to be. Printed on thick paper with bright, clear illustrations, this book is a welcome addition to even the most crowded of truck shelves.

Written in simple rhymes that have a gent
Charlotte Zolotow Highly Commended Book (2011)

I wasn't particularly impressed with this one, though it could be good for little ones who are really into trucks. The text just doesn't flow as well as I'd like, but I did enjoy the silly illustrations of the boy acting out the various truck functions, sometime to hilarious effect.
Jaimee Huskins
This book was not that entertaining, however it gives very good visual on how to pretend to be something you are not. It also gives new terminology of the different types of trucks and what they do.

Activities that can work with this book:

Summary: A young boy imagines himself to be different types of trucks as he plays in the sand.

Good book to use with Toddler or Preschool story time. One of my favorites!

I dig my hand
into the sand,
my scooper hand.
Dig. Dig. Dig.
Lift, turn, tip.
I am...

a backhoe.

Bright, bold illustrations. Text encourages children to move like the truck and also to guess what truck the author is talking about. Good for children to participate with during the read aloud.

Themes: trucks, movement

Good to use wi
Martha Freeman
I once tried to write a picturebook to suit my truck-happy young son, but nothing worked. “I Am a Backhoe,” written and illustrated by Anna Grossnickle Hines, is the book I couldn’t write. A little boy plays in the dirt or with his blocks, always imagining that he’s really piece of heavy equipment – a backhoe, a crane truck, a bulldozer.

Hines’s rhythmic text is never forced, and her simple, colorful, digitally enhanced illustrations will appeal especially to very young children. The book works o
Cute idea though I'm not a big fan of the illustrations. My son really likes it, though--lots of rereads for this one ;-) nice seeing the father reading to the son at the end, too.
Abigail Bechard
This was a surprising hit. Love the imagination aspect. R likes the guest appearance by dad.
Good book to get toddlers active with the story.
Jun 28, 2012 Andre rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
This book has bright colors, beautiful artwork, and great physical actions that the kids can perform while reading it. Mommies may be annoyed that it centers on Daddy a little more than other books at the end, but it's great. It also has a shocking ending in which the Daddy and the little boy end up reading the book that they are characters in. Almost breaks the fourth wall. So close. Perhaps this is to prepare our young ones for the great self-referential works of the modern classics. Or maybe ...more
Mar 03, 2011 Tdavis rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Two - Kindergarten
Shelves: vocabulary, preschool
Great for truck lovers! The child imagines himself as various trucks (vocabulary: backhoe, bulldozer, crane, dump truck, and steamroller) throughout the story and acts out the motions. Children can act out along with the book or can take a guess as to which truck is being described. Fun to read and act out!

Early Literacy Skills:

Phonological Awareness
Print Motivation
A little boy playing in a sandbox pretends to be different types of construction machines, scooping sand like a backhoe, pushing like a bulldozer, stretching and lifting like a crane. - Robin, Youth Services Librarian

Reserve a library copy!
I like the color scheme. I also like the imagination and realism and the prediction of what machine he is pretending to be. I think kids would like seeing the realistic-looking machines and seeing things they do in real life show up in a book. I also liked and think kids would enjoy the kid's facial features.
All Ages

A little boy pretends to be a variety of different trucks including a backhoe, bulldozer, and roller.

This would be a fun book to have the kids out how to be different trucks just like the little boy. You could expand this from construction equipment to include other things that go, like trains, as well.
A little boy playing in a sandbox pretends to be different types of construction machines, scooping sand like a backhoe, pushing like a bulldozer, streching and lifting like a crane. The trucks he imagines appear behind him in the illustrations. Short text and young child make this one perfect for toddler storytime.
Zachary Rawlins
This is a really great kids book, my nephew's favorite. When I was a kid, I loved nothing more than trucks, tractors, and construction equipment, and this book really captures that nostalgia. Lovely art and layout. I really enjoyed this, and recommend it for anyone with a young boy who loves trucks.
Cute book for that 3 yr old who loves big trucks and construction and will not sit still. This is the book that will get him listening to books so he can be all of the vehicles he reads about.
Kirkus Best Children's Books 2010
The young boy acts out the actions of different construction equipment--backhoe, roller, dump truck, etc. Simple text & nice illustrations. Nothing too fancy, but nice when you have construction just down the street.
This is a great book for very young children who like construction vehicles. It talks about the ways in which these trucks move and how children can move just like them! It is short and sweet with lots of repetition.
A nice book to share with little ones - they can act out this book and what little boy doesn't LOVE construction equipment. Might use this during the upcoming SRP - Dig into Reading for Tiny Tots story time.
This short book might work for a preschool storytime about trucks, as it describes the most basic functions of various work machines and shows how a child might pretend to do those same movements.
Simple rhyming text of a boy who pretends to be different trucks. My son was not to impressed but it might be great book for the age group that can imagine what the boy portrays.
This one worked well with the little ones and allowed me to break out of a bit of an animals/colors/shapes rut we have been in.
A simple story about a boy who imitates various kinds of trucks. Young children will have fun joining in.
What fun, especially for young readers with a good imagination and a love of trucks!
Nov 23, 2013 Susan added it
Shelves: jacob-loves
My 3 year old LOVES this book, but I hate it. The art is so ugly to me!
Anastasia Tuckness
Nice, simple, active book about child who acts out a variety of trucks.
Great for those little boys who can't get enough construction/truck books.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »