Start by marking “A Convenient Wife” as Want to Read:
A Convenient Wife

A Convenient Wife

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  12 reviews
His plan was simple--convince Caroline Hudson to take in his children as wards. Widower Tyrone Justice is stunned when the Nantucket schoolmistress requests a wedding instead! But really, what could be simpler than a marriage of convenience? Tyrone's children will have stability, Caroline will have security...and neither Tyrone nor Caroline will have to risk their hearts o ...more
Published May 11th 2010 by Harlequin (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about A Convenient Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Convenient Wife

Gail
Heroine is a widow who runs a private school for the children of the well-to-do on Nantucket island to keep body and soul, and house, together. One day, three raggedy children show up wanting to go to her school. They want to improve themselves, like their mother wanted. Mama died in the Great Nantucket Fire four years ago, when everything they owned went up in flames. Their father has been trying to take care of them since. They agree to exchange schooling for chores and repairs on the big hous ...more
MariaFernanda
Usually I hate children in a book! Haha, I love them, but in books they usually bore and irritate me because they're simplified into little objects.
Here, however, they delighted me!
The relationships were very complex without the usual annoyances!

The romance was sweet, but a little dull... While the inner conflicts of the protagonists were interesting and realistic, it took waaaay too long and it wasn't as intriguing for them to fall in love.

I do have to applaud Schmidt though because this book c
Stephanie
I am a fan of Steeple Hill's Love Inspired books and this one was another great read. Caroline Hudson is a lonely widow running a school to help her pay off the massive debts owed by her late husband. When 3 bedraggled children show up at her door asking if she can teach them how to be proper ladies, her heart aches to help these kids get an education and a decent meal. Poor, widower Ty Justice is doing everything he can to care for his 3 children. When he discovers his kids begging for an educa ...more
Sandy
A very sweet story. I've liked all of Ms. Schmidt's books and this was another good book. Yes, it's predictable but sometimes you just need to read books for the pleasure of reading it and knowing that it will work out at the end.
Julia
Jun 27, 2011 Julia rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: sbtb
It’s been a long time since I read an inspirational romance. Ironically, my work is so centered around people’s faith that I don’t want to read about faith struggles in my spare time.

So I was pleasantly surprised when reading A Convenient Wife to find that by not reading inspirationals, I’ve been missing some excellent dialogue, good story development, non-plot moppet children and realistic romance development. When reading a novel, timelines are collapsed and we all know it.

The story of Tyron
Paula-O
Anna Schmidt "A Convenient Wife"

Widower Tyrone Justice is stunned when the Nantucket schoolmistress requests a wedding instead But really, what could be simpler than a marriage of convenience? Tyrone's children will have stability, Caroline will have security...and neither Tyrone nor Caroline will have to risk their hearts once more. Bruised by past loves and losses, neither is ready to take that chance again. Unless a potentially deadly disaster makes them see the truth. Happiness lies within r
Jen
This book is a 4.5 star book. I picked it up, expecting to read a few chapters and go to sleep, but two hours later, after midnight, I was finishing it. It's a sweet story with good character development and a good plot. Not a keeper, but close.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
But if it were I, I would appeal to God; I would lay my cause before Him. He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted. ~ Job 5:8-9

Time Period: 18050's
Location: Nantucket, USA
Ann
Not preachy, fun to read, my first with this author and I want to read everything she has written. Just good, clean enjoyment with something to learn along the way.
Linda
I picked this up for a quick read and it was. Interesting history to the area of Nantucket and compelling characters. More preachy than I like.
Keekee Bird
It was a good book it just took little bit of time to get into the plot.
PWRL
Jul 25, 2011 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-new
O
Deon
Deon marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Cindy Coleman
Cindy Coleman marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
April Mahlbacher
April Mahlbacher marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Agatha Ding
Agatha Ding marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Cindy Coleman
Cindy Coleman marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Rita
Rita marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Marianne Maughan
Marianne Maughan marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Unlawfully Wedded Bride
  • The Substitute Bride
  • Gingham Bride (Buttons and Bobbins #1)
  • Kansas Courtship (After the Storm: The Founding Years, #3)
  • Heartland Wedding (After the Storm: The Founding Years, #2)
  • An Honorable Gentleman
  • The Captain's Lady
  • The Unexpected Bride (Bowen, #1)
  • The Wedding Journey (Irish Brides, # 1)
  • The Bridal Swap (Smoky Mountain Matches, #2)
  • The Wedding Season: Much Ado About Nuptials\The Gentleman Takes a Bride
  • Highland Hearts
  • The Duke's Redemption
  • Soaring Home
  • Spring Creek Bride
  • Her Captain's Heart (Gabriel Sisters, #1)
Anna Schmidt is the award-winning author of over twenty works of historical and contemporary fiction. A reviewer from Romantic Times notes that “Schmidt is not timid about presenting her characters with their faults laid bare for the reader to see.”
Currently Anna is working on a new series set in WWII Germany with an American Quaker protagonist. The first novel--ALL GOD'S CHILDREN-has already bee
More about Anna Schmidt...
All God's Children (Peacemakers, #1) A Stranger's Gift (Women of Pinecraft, #1) Seaside Cinderella (Nantucket Island, #1) Lasso Her Heart Hannah's Journey (Amish Brides of Celery Fields, #1)

“But promises are not clocks. You cannot tell time by a promise.” 3 likes