Start by marking “The Last 10 Seconds (Tina Boyd #5)” as Want to Read:
The Last 10 Seconds (Tina Boyd #5)

The Last 10 Seconds (Tina Boyd #5)

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,827 Ratings  ·  108 Reviews
The new race-against-time bestseller from the British Harlan Coben.

When ex-police officer John Cone is found lying wounded in a room full of dead bodies, he has a terrifying story to tell.

Three days earlier he was hired by a mysterious client to snatch a suspected serial killer, Andrew Kent (aka the Penthouse Predator) from custody while he's being transferred between pris
Published February 1st 2010 by Bantam Press (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Last 10 Seconds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last 10 Seconds

Gangster by Lorenzo CarcaterraThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonPortrait of Guilt by Anthony HulseRelentless by Simon KernickFinding Claire Fletcher by Lisa  Regan
Best Crime Thrillers
12th out of 109 books — 95 voters
Siege by Simon KernickRelentless by Simon KernickThe Last 10 Seconds by Simon KernickThe Payback by Simon KernickSevered by Simon Kernick
Favourite Simon Kernick Books
3rd out of 12 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Lukasz Pruski
Jan 07, 2013 Lukasz Pruski rated it did not like it
What a disappointment! Simon Kernick’s “The Last 10 Seconds” is a very bad novel. After wonderful “The Business of Dying” (4 stars) and good “Crime Trade” and “The Murder Exchange” (3 stars both), there comes this horrid clunker.

“The Last 10 Seconds” is so poorly written that it became a dreaded page-turner for me. I was turning pages fast wanting to end the butchery of language as fast as possible. I am afraid Mr. Kernick, now a well-established author of thrillers, does not have time or energy
Lainy
Mar 25, 2011 Lainy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVED LOVED LOVED this book!

Synopsis
36 hours ago a serial killer is arrested on the streets of North London after a two year reign of terror. Known as the Night Creeper, hes earned his reputation by torturing 5 young women to death.

24 hours ago undercover cop Sean Egan has infiltrated one of the country's most nototrious criminal gangs. Now he is about to risk his life in a desperate bid to bring its members to justice.

12 hours ago DI Tina Boyd has discovered that the Night Creeper's murders are
Lisa
Aug 24, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: english-lit
What can i say this book started off well but fell flat in the middle was a bit slow for me in parts Missed a lot of info about Tina Boyd as it was a library loan so may try to read the first in this series to try & catch up
Jill Edmondson
Feb 26, 2016 Jill Edmondson rated it liked it
An enjoyable roller coaster ride. Hard to put down. My only issue was that at times I had to suspend disbelief a bit more than I'd like (how many times can a person be shot at but NOT get critically hit?)
Gary
Aug 12, 2015 Gary rated it it was amazing
An excellent novel from one of my favourite writers.
He writes such good original stories that have strong characters and believable plots.
Lynette
Mar 23, 2014 Lynette rated it really liked it
Shelves: suspense
Great thriller, fast paced, wasn't based around detectives from 6 previous novels with back stories I didn't get because I haven't read them. Easy to follow, didn't guess everything early on. What's not to like? Not a masterpiece but a thoroughly enjoyable suspense novel.
Julia
Apr 04, 2015 Julia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a rapid page turner which reads like many of Simon Kernick's other thrillers: dual storylines featuring familiar characters, unfolding at a breakneck pace. He's a master at ending chapters that make you want to read just one more.

When the book starts, Tina Boyd is arresting Andrew Kent, a serial killer who goes by the nickname of the "Night Creeper". The evidence against him seems clearcut, but she starts to harbor doubts that she's got the right man. At the same time, policeman Sean Ega
Andy
Sep 12, 2011 Andy rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book,
but am i reading the right one?
It says in the preview here that the guys name is John when it`s Sean and he`s not an ex-copper he is an undercover cop.
Also the killer is not known as the Penthouse Prowler but the Night creeper.
However the book is awesome all the same and thoroughly deserves it`s 5 stars as do ALL Simon`s other books.
Thouroughly enjoyable hard to put down thrillers.
Ian King
May 18, 2016 Ian King rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Whilst this was a thrilling book in the sense of it is indeed a 'thriller', I felt it could have been so much more than what it was if a greater sense of characterisation was added.

The beginning of the book sets the tone for the story, revealing what has happened to the first-person POV character towards the end of the story. Although this is meant to employ a 'when is it going to happen' attitude to the reader, keeping them on the edge of their seat/stool/sunbed/beach towel, I found myself not
Steve Emecz
Mar 27, 2010 Steve Emecz rated it really liked it
Another dedicated shelf has to be created for Kernick in the house and my wife is getting annoyed. Coben, Crais, Connelly, and others dominate the shelves and now Kernick too. Fast paced and quite tough, excellent travelling on the tube fodder - in the re-visit later category too.
Julie Marshall
Jan 04, 2013 Julie Marshall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book!! Fast paced. Action packed. Page turner. Highly recommended :))
Alan Dunn
Mar 20, 2015 Alan Dunn rated it really liked it
Excellent; loved this. A fast-paced thriller with no stopping-off points,

I really found myself caught up in this, and one thing I liked was that I kept doubting whether I was supposed to be rooting for Sean or not. That opening scene-setter was to blame (well done!), and I enjoyed the ride.

I'm getting a bit annoyed with myself for reading these out of order (I read Siege first), so I'm gonna have to go back and start the series from Tina Boyd no.1...

The description on here is a tad off though,
Matt Hilton
Mar 29, 2011 Matt Hilton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another top notch thriller from Simon Kernick
Craig Sisterson
Feb 07, 2015 Craig Sisterson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, british
Over recent years Simon Kernick has rapidly established himself amongst the upper echelon of contemporary British thriller writers. His earlier novel Relentless was the best-selling thriller in the UK in 2007, and now he’s back with another riveting read.

The Last 10 Seconds opens with rogue undercover cop Sean Egan bleeding on the floor of an abandoned building, surrounded by bodies, before flicking back in time to trace the build-up to the violent confrontation. Egan is one of three main chara
Toni Osborne
Feb 16, 2012 Toni Osborne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been a fan of mysteries and of exciting thrillers for ever and I am always looking for an author that can top all that I have read in the past. Mr. Kernick has definitely caught my attention and his novels will command a prominent position on my TBR list. “The Last 10 Seconds”, is just what the title suggests, a fast paced action- packed thriller filled with lots of graphic crime scenes and murders, a captivating story that leaves plenty for the imagination and little time to speculate, i ...more
Daniel
Dec 02, 2010 Daniel rated it liked it
Miles
Nov 09, 2010 Miles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
As with many of the books I’ve read and reviewed this year “The Last 10 Seconds” is my first introduction to author Simon Kernick and as the title eludes; this is a nonstop thriller, packed to the rafters with action, murder and suspense.

Based in and around London, the book, as you would expect, has a real British feel to it and follows the exploits of Sean Egan and DI Tina Boyd – both cops. A rollercoaster of a novel, the pages hit you hard and fast, not once letting up and allowing a moment’s
Lizzie Hayes
Aug 31, 2012 Lizzie Hayes rated it it was amazing
‘The Last 10 Seconds’ by Simon Kernick
Published by Bantam Press, 21st January, 2010

DCI Tina Boyd is chasing down a brutal violent killer, dubbed ‘The Night Creeper, who tortures young women to death.

Sean Egan who found the life in the police force too tame has for the last ten years worked undercover. He has finally managed to infiltrate one of London’s most dangerous criminal gangs, but the mission is unauthorised, and Sean has his own agenda.

The action covers a thirty-seven hour period, and d
Best Crime Books & More
Jun 19, 2012 Best Crime Books & More rated it it was amazing
There are three people involved and none of them can predict just how dangerous things are going to turn out. DI Tina Boyd has a past that is littered with trouble and she just seems to attract it wherever she goes. She has been part of the team that has tracked down and now arrested the serial killer known as `The Night Creeper'. The only problem is he has now been kidnapped and it's Tina's job to hunt him down.

Sean Egan is an undercover cop who has managed to become embedded in a dangerous cri
Matthew Leach
Dec 13, 2010 Matthew Leach rated it really liked it
Simon Kernick is, in my view, one of those authors who rarely disappoints, and this, his latest effort, certainly doesnt.
The novel is the usual Kernick fare, a race against time thriller of sorts, that culminates in an explosive ending, with a few nice twists and turns along the way.
The story centres around Tina Boyd, an alcoholic DI on the verge of breakdown, and the aftermath of her successful investigation and capture of a killer known as The Night Creeper. And undercover officer Sean Egan,
Sheepdog
Nov 25, 2014 Sheepdog rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime
Accomplishes that which is not easy...

Spins a complex plot, with some surprizes along the way... without leaving you feeling like you need to take notes.

Also does a good job of avoiding the drab "first this happened, than this, then this..." structure. Tantalizing flash forwards, flash backs. Again, done without introducing confusion.

Well developed characters, and no "supermen" (or women), or ridiculous villains.
Chip
Jul 25, 2016 Chip rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Mediocre at best. Laughingly convoluted and coincidental. And honestly, I can believe in an unarmed person being victorious against someone with a gun, but not basically every other chapter - especially one with a fractured rib and shot and bandaged leg on crutches. You don't throw your crutch at a man with a gun and then successfully charge and disarm him - you get shot in the face.

Stupid stupid stupid.
Steve Horsfall
Jun 30, 2011 Steve Horsfall rated it it was amazing
Simon Kernick's books always hook you from the first line to the last and `The Last 10 Seconds' is no exception. I would put it up there as my favourite Kernick book alongside `The Crime Trade'. You get two perspectives as a complex series of crimes is unravelled & from two cops who are both anti-heroes, Tina Boyd and Sean Egan. Neither plays by the rule book, and both have a personal need for revenge. Kernick likes a good anti-hero but for me Undercover Cop Egan was his best yet and I hope ...more
P.D.R. Lindsay
A good, popular fiction, blood thirsty, police procedural novel. This one is number five in a series which is very popular.

Tight writing, fast pace, interesting characters, but just not my style. Nothing wrong with the book. I just prefer less tell and more show in writing style.
Andreas Strom
Oct 04, 2014 Andreas Strom rated it really liked it
A good fastpaced thriller that kept me
coming back for more when I tried to put it aside. only the second Kernick novel I've read, but it won't be the last. Btw, whoever wrote the blurb about the book has probably not even opened it - that, or someone changed names around for the American version.
Michele Harrod
Jul 16, 2012 Michele Harrod rated it really liked it
Holy moley, strap yourself in for this ride. It really is non-stop from the opening page. Almost to the point where you put the book down and laugh out loud, as surely, just surely it is NOT possible for so much to go down in one person's life in a couple of days. But it's good. And it does that dirty trick of each chapter leaving you hanging, and rocking straight on to the next one, to find out more. This isn't a leisurely read. At times the violence was a bit gross (I used to love that too, bu ...more
Fizzy123
Very page turny, bit too contrived in places but a solid quickish read. I found it like a cross between Prime Suspect and The Departed meets one of those Guy Richie cockney Gangster flicks. Its a stand alone book but has characters that have appeared in their own series and hearing about their past exploits got a bit tedious after a while. We get it, shes been through a lot that's why she's drinking can we please get on with the plot.

I would probably read something else from this series.
Elizabeth
Jul 26, 2014 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Shelves: 100-in-2014
Good, fast-paced plot, with some very good twists and turns. I think in the end there is unnecessary complication, but not enough to spoil my enjoyment. I liked the main characters, particularly Sean, and I was willing the good guys to succeed all along.
P.D.R. Lindsay
A well written British police procedural and with 3D characters and a fast paced plot.
The body count is high and fist and gunfights abound. Very popular series and probably down to be a TV series.

Just too blood thirsty for me and a bit brutal!
Veronica
Sep 24, 2015 Veronica rated it liked it
This moved pretty quickly, but I lost patience for the main detective. I need to read her backstory to see if that makes a difference. Fast plot with lots of twists & turns.
  • Fallen Idols (DC Laura McGanity, #1)
  • Captured
  • Bloodline (Tom Thorne, #8)
  • Hard Landing (Dan Shepherd, #1)
  • London Calling (Inspector Carlyle #1)
  • Shatter The Bones (Logan McRae, #7)
  • Dead Tomorrow (Roy Grace, #5)
  • Gone (Jack Caffery, #5)
  • The Surrogate (Brennan & Esposito, #1)
  • Catch Your Death
  • Long Reach (Eddie Savage, #1)
  • The Colour of Death
  • Random
Simon Kernick (born 1966 in Slough, Berkshire) is a British thriller/crime writer now living in Oxfordshire with his wife and two daughters. He attended Gillotts School, a comprehensive in Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire. Whilst he was a student his jobs included fruitpicker and Christmas-tree uprooter. He graduated from Brighton Polytechnic in 1991 with a degree in humanities. Kernick had a passion ...more
More about Simon Kernick...

Tina Boyd (7 books)
  • The Crime Trade (Tina Boyd #1)
  • Relentless (Tina Boyd #2)
  • Deadline (Tina Boyd #3)
  • Target  (Tina Boyd, #4)
  • Ultimatum (Tina Boyd #6)
  • The Final Minute (Tina Boyd #7)