Start by marking “Android Karenina” as Want to Read:
Android Karenina

Android Karenina

3.5  ·  Rating Details ·  1,390 Ratings  ·  187 Reviews
Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters co-author Ben H. Winters is back with an all-new collaborator, legendary Russian novelist Leo Tolstoy, and the result is Android Karenina an enhanced edition of the classic love story set in a dystopian world of robots, cyborgs, and interstellar space travel.

As in the original novel, our story follows two relationships: the tragic adu
Published June 8th 2010 by Quirk Classics (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Android Karenina, please sign up.

Rita Flaherty You do not 'have' to, the story stands alone just fine. I think you appreciate this book more once you have read Anna Karenina though. Winters treated…moreYou do not 'have' to, the story stands alone just fine. I think you appreciate this book more once you have read Anna Karenina though. Winters treated the original respectfully while telling a good tale through it. (less)

Jaidee
Dec 23, 2014 Jaidee rated it liked it

Anna Karenina is one of my desert island books. (5 stars plus) I love it to pieces and have read it four times (ages 13, 19, 26 and 34). Instead of re-reading it again I was pleased to have found a new interpretation of this book by Ben H. Winters.

This book was fascinating with its infusion of robots and horror. I felt that the author was able (mostly) to integrate the delicate human emotions with what was happening in this steampunk environment. At times it was laugh out loud silly and
Lolly's Library (Dork Kettle)
My first thought upon finishing Android Karenina was that, had Tolstoy been aware of robots, androids, moon resorts, and magnetic grav trains, this is the book he'd have written. To my mind, the concept of robotics, with its sense of coldness and hardness and immovable logic, fits in perfectly with the idea of post-Tsar Russia; where bureaucracy and the welfare of the nation takes precedence over the welfare of the individual; where the sense of almost perpetual winter brings to mind the frigidi ...more
Misty
When I agreed to be part of the Android Karenina blogsplosion, I knew it was going to be an interesting experience. I've read the P&P inspired books -- and obviously am familiar with P&P -- so I got the in-jokes and the references, and could compare it to the original. With this, I haven't read Anna Karenina (and am generally not big on the Russians, save Pasternak's Dr. Zhivago), so I knew that I would have to approach this mash-up differently.

On the one hand, I wouldn't be biased compa
Absinthe
Jul 07, 2015 Absinthe rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, 2015
There were a few parts that were difficult to get through, but overall I feel that Ben H. Winters did an amazing job at transferring the spirit of Anna Karenina into Android Karenina. Though there were times that I felt something was ridiculous, I still greatly enjoyed it. The human emotion in this story was also captured beautifully and so accurately. There were many times that I understood exactly the mix of emotions that was described and could completely empathize with characters even if I d ...more
Louise Leetch
May 24, 2012 Louise Leetch rated it really liked it
My taste in books runs to the ilk of Cold Mountain. I haven’t read one single vampire book. I never read the Harry Potter Books and I never could get into fantasy books—including the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings! I guess I’m just a snob! When I began reading Ben H. Winters’ mash-up of Android Karenina, my hopes were not high for a quick, light or funny read. Oddly enough, it was all three. Mash-ups are the latest thing in the literary world, mixing classics with new world monsters and demons. It ...more
Lisa Hayden Espenschade
May 24, 2012 Lisa Hayden Espenschade rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: steampunks, science fiction fans, the robot in you
Recommended to Lisa by: publisher copy of book
I think of Android Karenina's ideal audience in terms of Venn diagrams: that mysterious place where "fans of Anna Karenina" and "science fiction readers who love reading about machinery and robots" overlaps. Many of Winters's variations on Tolstoy's themes are very clever -- particularly his Karenin -- and Quirk did well to choose AK for a steampunk mash-up. Still, I thought the book dragged a bit, particularly in the middle.

I should admit that I think Anna Karenina drags a bit in places, too.
Marie
May 24, 2012 Marie rated it it was amazing
I reserve 5-star ratings for books of extraordinary creativity, skill, craftsmanship, and lasting impact to the reader. Of course there's that personal enjoyment variable, too.

Android Karenina meets every criteria I've got. Quirk Classics has yet to miss the mark on creativity, and Ben Winters molds words I could read or listen to all day in this work. My first three criteria have been met with each of the three previous Quirk Classics released, and I expected nothing less.

I expected more humor
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
May 24, 2012 Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides marked it as decided-not-to-read
Recommended to Snail in Danger (Sid) by: Suzanna
Anna Karenina (on which this is based) was the first "grown up" book I read (for lack of a better term). I think I was 8 or 10 or so. Yes, I was a strange child, and no, maybe I shouldn't have been allowed to read it. I remember thinking it was engrossing, but I can't say with any certainty how well I understood it.

But anyway, as a science fiction fan I have a high standard for books involving robots. (Actually I am fairly particular generally.) While I get the sense this is a better adaptation
Sil
Dec 04, 2014 Sil rated it liked it
Shelves: beloved-shelves
3,5

Jamás hubiese imaginado que un clásico fuese adaptado al género de ciencia ficción tanto como lo ha conseguido Ben H. Winters con "Androide Karenina". Atreverse con un re-telling de la literatura rusa conocido como Ana Karenina no es tan sencillo. Escribir un libro no es sencillo. Ana Karenina ha marcado profundamente la literatura rusa y universal. Quien no lo conozca, al menos habrá oído hablar de la nueva versión cinematográfica protagonizada por Jude Law y Keira Knightley.

El autor parte d
Graham Crawford
May 24, 2012 Graham Crawford rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: the criminally insane
I came to this book - and this Mash up genre with an open mind. There are many great examples of Post Modern re-contextualisations of classic artworks; Shakespeare productions set in during the second world war, Wagner's ring cycle set against a backdrop of industrial socialist revolution, Derek Jarman's quirky anachronisms. These clever works re-frame and re-present classic stories within a contemporary context refreshing sometimes stale ideas for new audiences. I was hoping Android Karenina wo ...more
Steve Love
May 24, 2012 Steve Love rated it did not like it
Shauna
May 18, 2012 Shauna rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I got this book free for review.

Ahhhhh....all the tragedy of the original Russian romance Leo Tolstoy delivered to us in Anna Karenina, plus all the robots, aliens, and political intrigue you've always wanted.

Mr.Winters, co-author with Jane Austen, of Sense and Sensibilities and Sea Monsters, teamed up with Ol' Leo this time around to give Anna Arkadyevna a liberal sprinkling of Steampunk. I was over the moon when I heard Mr.Winters was part of Quirk Classic's newest project. I adore
Lyssa
May 24, 2012 Lyssa rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
*Received this in a first read giveaway*
Wasn't able to start this til a two weeks ago I'm really surprised that it's been this long and I'm still reading it. I've not read the original novel, so came into this with no expectations.

The robot/android angle to this book adds the little bit of sci fi "oomph" that might broaden the reading audience. That being said, I can sometimes infer what may have happened in the original novel that the robots are doing in this one (revolutionaries booby trappin
Lindsay
May 14, 2014 Lindsay rated it it was amazing
Apparently, having never read Anna Karenina nor had an enjoyment of steampunk, I shouldn't have gone for this novel.

This review is pretty much to post "never say never," because I FREAKING LOVED THIS BOOK. When I realized that this was not written with the outrageous humor of the PPZ and SSS "quirk classics," I thought it would be a disappointment. I couldn't have been more wrong. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. I loved all of the moral ambiguity thrown in with more obvious examples
Uriah
May 24, 2012 Uriah rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads, sci-fi
I received this book as a First-reads copy. At first I wasn't sure if it was something I would enjoy but I was interested to see how it would work as a novel. (I should say I have not read the original.) It turns out that I really enjoyed the book. The writing of the two authors blends together seamlessly. Tolstoy's work is ideal for blending in the "high" science fiction/steampunk genre. The character development is excellent, especially for the main players.

Overall a very enjoyable read.
Gretchen
Mar 24, 2015 Gretchen rated it really liked it
Shelves: russia
I have read anna karenina before, but I did not really remember all of the plot line so it has been fun reading this book and slowly remembering some things, but then there are androids! it's very much an alternate reality that is fun to discover. I must admit that by the end, I was sucked in and wondering how the book was going to end and resolve some of the outstanding plot points. So this is a good addition to the other novels that have added zombies and sea monsters to jane austen books.
Christopher tm
May 24, 2012 Christopher tm rated it did not like it
Dry.

Dry dry dry.

Dry dry dry dry dry dry dry dry dry dry dry dry dry.

Gah.

I could not make headway into the original without being bored to distraction and the introduction here of Robots! does naught to hold my interest.

Undoubtedly I will try again at a later date, but that date and I are not looking forward to meeting each other.
Patty Lazatin
May 24, 2012 Patty Lazatin rated it really liked it
obviously easier to read than the original but that's perhaps because i already know the original.
definitely a funny adaptation and pretty good on the usage of robots and aliens. at times it felt forced but over-all entertaining.
Frances Vermeulen
Sep 22, 2014 Frances Vermeulen rated it it was ok
Finally!! I finished it!! It was a struggle, I admit, but the ending almost made it worth the while. In a nutshell: the robot-part of the story was great, the drama and internal struggles of Anna was quite boring. I won't be reading it again any time soon...
Marcus
May 24, 2012 Marcus rated it liked it
Android Karenina by Ben Winters is a Steampunk take on Leo Tolstoy’s classic novel and in deed, the plot resembles the original to a great degree and all original protagonists are present. They are incarnated in a way befitting a Steampunk setting. Android Karenina is set against a high-tech Steampunk background, placed in a pseudo 19th century Russia.
What first struck me was the easiness with which the human protagonists interact with their robotic alter-egos/side-kicks, the Class III companion
Cassie-la
Jun 14, 2012 Cassie-la rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011-reads
REVIEW ALSO ON: http://bibliomantics.com/2011/03/04/a...-...

Until this week, I had not read Anna Karenina since an AP English class my senior year of high school. I remembered four things about this classic. 1. The book was recommended by Oprah which made me immediately not want to read it, 2. Tolstoy is Russian, 3. Anna kills herself and the book still insists on continuing for another 20 pages, and 4. I hated it with every fiber of my being.

Thankfully, due to the wonderful literary innovation
James Priest
Dec 30, 2016 James Priest rated it it was amazing
Well it's quite embarrassing, but it's taken me more than a year to read this book, but even with this fact I can say I enjoyed the book, and found it a good read, and didn't find I had forgotten the story line even when there were some lengthy gaps between reading. Can't compare it to the original as I've never read it, and to be honest I probably wouldn't be interested. I found the combination of a 19th century type setting with a futuristic Sci Fi mixture worked very well. Would be hard to sa ...more
Mary Ahlgren
Nov 09, 2016 Mary Ahlgren rated it it was ok
Didn't finish. Not my cup of tea at all although I really like other of Winter's books.
A.J.
Jan 13, 2017 A.J. rated it it was ok
In progress...
Aimeekay
May 24, 2012 Aimeekay rated it really liked it
Android Karenina is set in the late 1800's, the same time period as the original Anna Karenina, by Leo Tolstoy. But I do not think Tolstoy ever pictured his Russia quite like this one. Groznium has greatly changed the way people live. Everything that isn't human is basically a robot. From the simple Class I's, like the I/Mouse/9, that keeps pests away, to the Class II's, such as the II/Governess/D145, that teaches the children, to the Class III's, the robot companions to the wealthy. The lights ...more
Mel
Oct 10, 2016 Mel rated it it was ok
I really wanted to read this and enjoy it. But I got so tired of reading the models of the robots...
It was hard enough to force myself to read the original. I just didn't have the patience to get through it again. Maybe the movie would be better? I don't know, not much hope.
Rachel
I got this book in a first reads giveaway.

Android Karenina, the newest in the "literary mash-up" trend from the publishers of the original mash-up, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, is not just one silly book in a series of silly books. In fact, it's not silly, apart from the Reader's Discussion Guide--not that the two Jane Austen mash-ups were necessarily silly either, but this review is about Android Karenina. And if it's not a silly fad what is it? It's a really good book.

All the drama and ten
Rich Stoehr
May 24, 2012 Rich Stoehr rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I have to admit, I am remiss in my knowledge of Russian literature. To wit: I've never read Anna Karenina. So what happens when the science-historical-fiction version Android Karenina comes out? Dive right in, of course!

I wasn't sure what to expect. Even the previous Quirk Classics I'd read - Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters and Pride and Prejudice and Zombies - didn't really prepare me for this. I knew the Jane Austen source material of the other two, but I didn't know Tolstoy.

I thought A
K
Sep 29, 2016 K rated it liked it
As someone who was never going to read the original, this was a great way to get exposed to it. Since it IS still 500+ pages, it's still a commitment--no matter how many robots, bombs, and trips to moon bases you add in.

But the character work is really well done, and now I can appreciate why Tolstoy and the original are part of the literary canon.
El_kiablo
Nov 21, 2013 El_kiablo rated it liked it
In some ways the hybridization that is at this book's core works really well. The risk of pulp sci-fi is that you might get big ideas without getting any heart or anything with much emotional heft; the risk with a romantic epic is that you're going to get stuck in something stuffy or overdramatic without any actual excitement. There are times in this book when the romantic entanglements provide a compelling emotional throughline that carries the goofier robot stuff farther than it would go on it ...more
  • Mansfield Park and Mummies: Monster Mayhem, Matrimony, Ancient Curses, True Love, and Other Dire Delights
  • Henry VIII: Wolfman
  • The Meowmorphosis
  • Emma and the Werewolves: Jane Austen's Classic Novel with Blood-Curdling Lycanthropy
  • Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and Zombie Jim
  • Grave Expectations
  • Romeo & Juliet & Vampires
  • Wuthering Bites
  • The War of the Worlds: H.G. Wells's Classic Plus Blood, Guts and Zombies
  • The Undead World of Oz: L. Frank Baum's the Wonderful Wizard of Oz Complete with Zombies and Monsters
  • Boleyn Tudor Vampire
  • Dreadfully Ever After (Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, #2)
  • Little Vampire Women
  • Shakespeare Undead (Shakespeare Undead, #1)