Start by marking “Kafka's Last Love: The Mystery Of Dora Diamant” as Want to Read:
Kafka's Last Love: The Mystery Of Dora Diamant

Kafka's Last Love: The Mystery Of Dora Diamant

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  9 reviews
In this gripping literary detective story, Kathi Diamant brings to light the amazing woman who captured Kafka's heart and kept his literary flame alive for decades. This was Dora Diamant, an independent spirit who fled her Polish Hasidic family to pursue her Zionist dreams, who persuaded Kafka to leave his parents and live with her in Berlin the year before he died. Based ...more
Published September 8th 2004 by Basic Books (first published January 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Kafka's Last Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kafka's Last Love

Simon
The Mystery of Dora Diamant Kafka's Last Love
By Kathi Diamant (Secker & Warburg)

Time has come for me to hit the Pile of Kafka
and related books I have to read and first up is
this incredible biography of Dora Diamant, or
that may be Dymant or other variations used in
this book of her life from growing up the
daughter of very orthodox Jews in Bedzin Poland
(Not far from Aushwitz). She was born in 1898
and by the time she met Kafka in 1924 she had
managed to horrify her father enough for him
Christina Mitchell
My faithfulness to allow myself 30 minutes of personal reading each night is not conducive to a reader's delight of being absorbed into the time, places, and characters of a book. The day I have successfully defended my doctoral dissertation I will immediately lock myself away with a pile of to-be-read books not to emerge until I have the most severe reader's hangover imaginable. You know what I mean, don't you? It's the hangover when you terrifyingly find you are on a first name basis with the ...more
Amene
Aug 21, 2013 Amene rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
کافکا، صادق هدایت و ژال پل سارتر یا حتی آلبر کامو در خوانش نسل گذشته ی ما دچار بدفهمی ها و کج فهمی هایی شده اند.جملاتی نظیر اینارو نخون افسرده میشی یا این کتاببا مال خودکشی و افسسردگیه ، عباراتی هساتند که به کرّات شنیده ایم.
برای پی بردن به غلط بودن بنیادین این عبارات این کتاب رو بخونین. کتاب برای درک بهتر کافکا و همچنین شناخت جدیدی از برهه تاریخی جنگ جهانی دوم و سال های پیش از آن بسیار مفید است.
نویسنده نثری روان وشیوا را برای نوشتن انتخاب کرده که با ترجمه ی عالی سهیل سمّی در فارسی این شیوایی و
Liz
Painstakingly researched, Kafka's Last Love gives a lot of insight into who Kafka was, particularly in his last year of life when he met and fell in love with Dora Diamant. But that's only the first third of the book. What follows is an intriguing story of what happened to Dora following Kafka's death in World War II - traveling from war-torn Berlin to a declining Russia and eventually to England, but not to safety. A great read for anyone interested in Kafka and/OR a different perspective on Wo ...more
Sally Richards
Wow!!! Love this book! Kathi gets down to the heart of her research. A fabulous place to learn about Kafka & Dora's beautiful love that seems to have transcended time. Kathi does these fabulous tours where she takes people all around Europe tracking old and new research on both of these wonderful real-life characters. You can find out more here: http://www.kathidiamant.com/
Lori Anne
Loved, loved, loved this book! It is a cross between a love story, and a terrific history lesson. Some friends and I were lucky enough to go on the author's tour of places in Europe that were significant in Kafka and Dora's lives. I think Kathi is now writing a book about her 20+ years of researching Dora and Kafka. Can't wait!
Linda
Intricate weaving of historcial incidences, dates, ansillary records and photographs into a thoughtful life account. Dynamic portraiture as unfolding judgements about the kafka legacy is being played out in Isreali Court.
Benjamin
Stephanie
This book presents the story of the life of Kafka from a different angle than is usually heard. The author writes about Dora's life and love affair with Kafka with sincerity and affection. Diamant is no scholar of Kafka, but anyone with an interest in the man's personal life and times will find this book valuable. The story is charming.
Vanesa Toska
Vanesa Toska marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Dave Schumacher
Dave Schumacher marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Anna A.
Anna A. marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Shelly Fromholtz
Shelly Fromholtz marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Nensi Seferi
Nensi Seferi marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Novalis
Novalis marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
I.
I. marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Barkha
Barkha added it
Jan 21, 2015
سماء سالم
سماء سالم marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Annie
Annie marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Janice
Janice is currently reading it
Sep 01, 2014
Janice
Janice added it
Aug 19, 2014
Solveig Fauskanger
Solveig Fauskanger marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014