Cain's Apples

Cain's Apples

3.18 of 5 stars 3.18  ·  rating details  ·  402 ratings  ·  101 reviews
Published November 23rd 2009 by Smashwords, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Cain's Apples, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cain's Apples

Anne
I personally liked this short mysterious read. All the reviews I read before picking it up said it was all to "predictable", But I didn't think so. I guessed the end completely wrong! I like how he puts a Stephen King suspense throughout the whole 11 pages. I liked it for the short story it was.
Sonia
This was a stronger read than After Dark. The writing still wasn't terribly complex, but the story line a thousand times more captivating. However, I think that had Lee taken more care with the writing, this could have been a solid work. There is just something very awkward about his writing style that interfered with my overall enjoyment of the piece.
Naomi
This was a really unintentionally silly short story. Like other reviewers have stated, it was predictable and just downright goofy. Lucky for me it was really short, B&N says 27 pages, but there is no way it was that long and it was free.
Cherry
A Twilight zones type of book. Gives me the idea of a folk story. It was a nice story to read perhaps when you are waiting in the lobby for your doctors appointment.
Kathy
At 11 pages, this was the shortest short story I've ever read. Entertaining, for five minutes.
Tresa da BookNerdette
Marie Eaton
Ever bought an apple at a roadside stand? Joe Johnson wishes he hadn't in this suspenseful and spooky short story. Great Short Story.
Shannon Renee
Cleaning out the Nook books on my Nook that have been lingering forever, I ran across this one. After seeing that it was a short story, I decided to read it.

Lee is basically doing a "Twilight Zone" episode in a short story. Which is fine to do, but highly predictable. There were weak spots in the writing, and it seemed to suffer because of those. It was just ok. Glad it was free.
Megan Noel
I am pretty sure this story as written by a fourth grader.
It was completely predictable and grammatically incorrect. I spent thirty minutes of my life reading this and I will never get those minutes back. All I can say is that I am glad this was a free nook book; it would have been a HUGE wast of any mount of money. I advise against reading this short story. Vehemently.
Kasi Lou

My Review - this was a book that was only 11 pages so does it count as a book. It was definitely weird and predictable. While reading it I was thinking this can't be going anywhere good. It was just an okay book and I'm glad it was free.
Sky
This short story caught my interest as soon as I learned about apples. The strange part is that the apples shouldn't have caught me by surprised since we all know about apples (whoever else reads this story will understand my meaning). I give this story a five star rating and recommend it to anyone who wants to read a good story that's very short :)
Becca-Rawr
This was better than Lee's previous short story. Still, I don't care for his writing much. The short story read more like a tall tale, a story that either can be short and to the point, or long and sweet.

This was just really long, bitter, and the space wasn't really filled with anything worth the time to read it.

Angelia Sparrow
Good little short story, very Twilight Zone-esque.
Predictable in the same way a Zone ep is predictable, I remained unsure as to the nature of the twist until the end. It could have gone two or three ways.

It could have been stronger in some ways, but it swept me right along, which is all I ask of a free read.
This was a predictable short story. The main character purchases apples from a farm stand and the apple he chooses mysteriously is named for a nemisis of his. Upon purchasing the apples that individual dies. In the beging I am rooting for him, he seems like an underdog but by the end I realize he is "The Dog"
Shaina Neal
I thought it was a decent little in between read. Nice to see an author trying to come up in the world AND it was free so who can complain. I could see where it was going from the beginning but I wish there were more details, more to hold onto. I felt like it could have been a solid read, even for a short story.
Melanie
It was a cute read. At first I wasn't sure whether it was supposed to be spooky or not but as the story progressed its plot became clear. It was predictable at parts but still enjoyable like every horror story out there. I loved the way it had ended and I didn't suspect it to be that way.
Noelle
I liked it. It was a cute short story that kept you interested. My husband thought it was very predictable but I actually guessed the ending wrong so maybe not so much?. Worth the 10 mins it takes to read it. I will probably look into this author's work to see what else he has to offer.
Tabitha
This is a weird little fable I picked up out of the free e-book bin in cyberspace. It was maybe a tad predictable, but it was plenty fun for the 10 minutes I dedicated to reading it.
Not a waste of time, and I'd be interested to see what Bryan Lee produces when he's trying.
Marnie
Good short read about an applestand that sells apples to a man. Each have the name of someone. Who after he buys them, they die. Ends up that the apple guy is some kind of grim reaper type. Would have been better if been longer and a bit more suspense.
Mickey Reed
Interesting twist in the end, even if it was a bit predictable. It's the 'bad things happen to bad people' kind of story. Not a bad short story as they go, but the writing was quite forced. That's generally why I don't like short stories.
Larry Arnold
i only got it cuz the name cains apple. not that ot was free.

i liked it. the main character joe was something else. he seamed like he had no self esteem and was just there. then he turns angry.

karma comes in different forms.
Melissa Burnett
I read this a couple of years ago and just realized I didn't review it. I thought it was an ok short story, it kept my attention but didn't leave a lasting effect on me. It's a short read and it was free so I think it was worth the read.
Tiffany Neal
Sloppy, predictable, poorly written, and in my opinion, done by an author who tried WAY too hard to make a spooky tale out of this story. Definitely a disappointment, and I would not reccomend this one to anyone.
Wendy
I'm glad this one was free because I would've been pissed if I paid money for it. I liked the idea behind the book, but it was highly predictable. I don't feel life changed for having spent the 20 minutes to read it.
Fred
Good short story with an eding that I didn't see coming until like the paragraph before the writer dropped the bomb. Told in the style of come of the classic horror stories and very Tales of the Crypt like.
Chris The Story Reading Ape
An interesting, if predictable, short story.
Sometimes you really must be careful of what you wish for, out loud, or inside your head.

See my review also at: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view...
Angelique
I wasn't fond of the writing style, but absolutely loved the story, particularly the ending. It made me think of The Twilight Zone or The Outer Limits with its twist so I will definitely be looking into more.
Crystal
This was actually pretty good for a short story. It kept me engaged and wanting to read more even after it finished, although the ending was quite abrupt and not at all how I would've ended it.
Aug 15, 2010 Sarah rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: nook
I got this short story as a freedownload from Barnes and Noble for my nook and I was pleasantly surprised. It started out rather boring but about half way through it I became complete engrossed.
Megan
Interesting story, although the ending was predictable. The writing felt a little underdeveloped. But, it's short and it's free here.
  • The Vanishing
  • Life Blood
  • The Glades
  • Golde the Mother (Lost Tales of Mercia, #1)
  • Hysteria
  • Evergreen A Christmas Tale
  • Free to Die
  • Mortal Ghost
  • The Hunters
  • 5 of USA's Best Trips
  • The Gauntlet Thrown (Gauntlet Trilogy, #1)
  • The Labyrinth
  • Better Late Than Never (Adrianna's, #2)
  • Watching Her Every Move (Wolf’s Seduction, #1)
  • DEAD[ish] (DEAD[ish] #1)
  • Girls to the Rescue #1 (Happily Ever After)
  • Dawn of Avalon (Twilight of Avalon, #0.5)
  • Outta the Bag (Cadence Jones, #0.5)
After Dark The Weekender The Anthill The Volunteer The Loser