Start by marking “Starter Vegetable Gardens: 24 No-Fail Plans for Small Organic Gardens” as Want to Read:
Starter Vegetable Gardens: 24 No-Fail Plans for Small Organic Gardens

Starter Vegetable Gardens: 24 No-Fail Plans for Small Organic Gardens

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  206 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Develop your green thumb as you learn to grow your own food. In this introductory guide to growing vegetables, Barbara Pleasant addresses common problems that first-time gardeners encounter. Using simple language and illustrated garden layouts, Pleasant shows you how to start, maintain, and eventually expand an organic vegetable garden in even the tiniest backyard. With ha ...more
Published March 17th 2010 by Storey Publishing, LLC (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Starter Vegetable Gardens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Starter Vegetable Gardens

Julia
Apr 08, 2011 Julia rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardening, nonfiction
This book lays out a very nice range of garden plans, including ones for beginners and very small gardens, to huge gardens for pros. Most are multi-year plans, a huge plus, so that you learn as you go. Includes detailed lists for supplies, seeds, and plants for every project, a timeline, and how-to info. Additional sections on organic gardening in general. A great resource if you don't know how to start, or if you need to have the possibilities reigned in (that's me!).
Suzanne
Jun 25, 2010 Suzanne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
WOW! This book grows with you, plans for first, second and third year gardens! She assumes you will do all the work yourself, and that you actually want to eat what you produce.

I kept reading it going...WOW! WOW! Barbara Pleasant has written the book I need, she brought all of the ideas into a complete system.

I am stealing her "Family Food Factory" title (these are her big producing gardens in the middle of the book) for my own FFF!

Erin
Apr 02, 2011 Erin rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book with lots of suggestions for different combinations of plants and a variety of layouts. I love that the book will grow along with my gardening expertise! I prepared my beds yesterday, and I'm planting today :-)
Jared Reck
Feb 08, 2012 Jared Reck rated it really liked it
That's right. We're gardening. Great guide for those looking to dig a little deeper. (See what I did there?)
Bird
Who knew I could get so excited about a gardening book? But I'm definitely excited, because this book is just what I was looking for as we begin our first foray into vegetable gardening.

The book has multiple options for gardeners (from growing veggies right out of bags of soil, to a "Family Food Factory"), depending on how much time and space you have to devote to taking care of your new garden. Each option also features three years' worth of plans, so you can slowly expand your garden over tim
Amy
Mar 27, 2014 Amy rated it it was amazing
The flat-out best vegetable gardening book for new gardeners. I recommend it in all my food-gardening lectures. The garden plans are beautiful and easy to execute.
Kathryn
Mar 05, 2014 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Loved the way it was organized. Loved the tips. Loved that it included multiple plans and ideas to grow your garden over the course of several years.
Chase Seibert
Mar 22, 2014 Chase Seibert rated it liked it
Good ideas. Very repetitive content between all the gardens. Good illustrations. Poor Kindle conversion; section titles are in 100pt font.
Barb
Apr 25, 2011 Barb rated it really liked it
Shelves: hobbies
I'm feeling ready to go beyond adding a few vegies to my flower garden. Last year the cucumbers weren't as good as the year prior, but I did forget to mention watering the garden before I went on vacation.... But the beans were a lot of fun to grow. I like the process more than the product, so that is probably why I haven't done too much with vegies. This book is very informative and motivating. I'm going to try the gardening straight out of the soil bags. Much easier than breaking new ground. E ...more
JerJe
Jan 18, 2016 JerJe rated it really liked it
Shelves: health, raw-foodism
This is the way to make an easy, even if just in little pots, organic healthy start in your life.
C
I'm not sure I'll ever be able to mark this book as anything other than "currently reading". Each time I sit down with it, I find something new.

While it may be too elementary for those with extensive experience, it's a font of knowledge for us newbs as well as those with only a passing acquaintance with coaxing nutritious life from the dirt.

Buy a hard copy so you can take it outside, mark it up, and get it dirty.
Jackie Tilks
Apr 21, 2013 Jackie Tilks rated it liked it
I actually didn't read every single page of this book. I used it as a resource to educate myself before setting up our first family garden this year. It is very approachable, written in simple how-to format with a lot of pictures. I would recommend it to anyone who is thinking about starting a vegetable garden.
Tina
May 02, 2012 Tina rated it really liked it
Another great gardening book from Barbara Pleasant and Burpee. This one has all of these garden plans that start from a beginner and then go from there. There are lots of pictures, ideas, and lay-outs to choose from so I don't think you can go wrong with this one. Would highly recommend this book.
sasasasasasasasasa
Jul 27, 2012 sasasasasasasasasa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, garden
really great for an ambitious beginner. "recipes" for lots of different kinds of edible gardens and each has a 3year plan that you can work up to as you learn more. step-by-step instructions and lots of practical, illustrated info on techniques, planting plans, etc.
AJ
Nov 15, 2014 AJ rated it it was ok
This book has a lot of pre-planned gardens, but that's not quite what I was hoping for. It's a beautiful, full color book with lots of pictures and diagrams. However, if you already have a garden planned or planted, this book isn't for you.
I looooved this book. I love the design ideas, I loved the idea to grow stuff in bags so they smother the grass. I love the three year plans. I love that it makes it seem so easy. I wish that I had this book.
Junio
Dec 02, 2010 Junio rated it liked it
We're making a modified version of the easy care bag garden right now. The squash starts that we planted a little over a week ago have a lot of flowers today. Looking forward to their fruits.
Tisha
Aug 04, 2011 Tisha rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardening
This book really got me thinking about how to incorporate a garden into my yard. It feels like a good beginner book, although I haven't planted anything yet to prove that.
Morgan
May 10, 2012 Morgan rated it it was ok
I sort of skimmed through this looking for ideas but it seemed like a decent book. I didn't care for their set up of things but I did get me started.
Fawn Rueckert
Mar 05, 2011 Fawn Rueckert rated it liked it
Great plans, especially the ones broken down into three year increments. I'd love to try the front yard vegie garden.
Tina
Apr 09, 2010 Tina rated it really liked it
Very handy little book for beginning gardeners. Great ideas and garden layout illustrations.
Cristiana
Mar 03, 2012 Cristiana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gardening
Loving this so far. Exactly what I was looking for.
Barbara
Mar 31, 2012 Barbara rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardening
Display for Learning Landscape.
Nancy
Apr 29, 2010 Nancy rated it really liked it
Some super simple ideas for growing vegetables--including basically growing them in the bag of soil!
Sarah rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2016
Barbara
Barbara rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2016
Rachel McCready-Flora
Rachel McCready-Flora marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Chipy02yahoo.com
Chipy02yahoo.com rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2016
Dawn Gascoyne
Dawn Gascoyne marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
  • Grow Great Grub: Organic Food from Small Spaces
  • Week-by-Week Vegetable Gardener's Handbook: Perfectly Timed Gardening for Your Most Bountiful Harvest Ever
  • Fresh Food from Small Spaces: The Square-Inch Gardener's Guide to Year-Round Growing, Fermenting, and Sprouting
  • The Edible Front Yard: The Mow-Less, Grow-More Plan for a Beautiful, Bountiful Garden
  • Rodale's Ultimate Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening: The Indispensable Green Resource for Every Gardener
  • Edible Landscaping
  • Carrots Love Tomatoes: Secrets of Companion Planting for Successful Gardening
  • Sugar Snaps and Strawberries: Simple Solutions for Creating Your Own Small-Space Edible Garden
  • One Magic Square: The Easy, Organic Way to Grow Your Own Food on a 3-Foot Square
  • Self Sufficiency for the 21st Century
  • Eat More Dirt: Diverting and Instructive Tips for Growing and Tending an Organic Garden
  • A Little Piece of Earth: How to Grow Your Own Food in Small Spaces
  • Vertical Gardening: Grow Up, Not Out, for More Vegetables and Flowers in Much Less Space
  • Small-Plot, High-Yield Gardening: How to Grow Like a Pro, Save Money, and Eat Well by Turning Your Back (or Front or Side) Yard Into An Organic Produce Garden
  • Don't Throw It, Grow It!: 68 Windowsill Plants From Kitchen Scraps
  • Lasagna Gardening: A New Layering System for Bountiful Gardens: No Digging, No Tilling, No Weeding, No Kidding!
  • McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container: A Container Garden of Vegetables, Herbs, Fruits and Edible Flowers