Start by marking “Starter Vegetable Gardens: 24 No-Fail Plans for Small Organic Gardens” as Want to Read:
Starter Vegetable Gardens: 24 No-Fail Plans for Small Organic Gardens

Starter Vegetable Gardens: 24 No-Fail Plans for Small Organic Gardens

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  167 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Home vegetable gardening is all the rage. Millions of Americans have picked up spade and hoe and are digging into the soil for the first time. But starting a garden isn’t always simple. Many hopeful growers find themselves confused by the dizzying array of things to know about soil quality, garden layout, seeds, temperatures, planting schedules, fertilizer, pests, watering ...more
Published March 17th 2010 by Storey Publishing, LLC (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Starter Vegetable Gardens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Starter Vegetable Gardens

Julia
This book lays out a very nice range of garden plans, including ones for beginners and very small gardens, to huge gardens for pros. Most are multi-year plans, a huge plus, so that you learn as you go. Includes detailed lists for supplies, seeds, and plants for every project, a timeline, and how-to info. Additional sections on organic gardening in general. A great resource if you don't know how to start, or if you need to have the possibilities reigned in (that's me!).
Suzanne
WOW! This book grows with you, plans for first, second and third year gardens! She assumes you will do all the work yourself, and that you actually want to eat what you produce.

I kept reading it going...WOW! WOW! Barbara Pleasant has written the book I need, she brought all of the ideas into a complete system.

I am stealing her "Family Food Factory" title (these are her big producing gardens in the middle of the book) for my own FFF!

Erin
A beautiful book with lots of suggestions for different combinations of plants and a variety of layouts. I love that the book will grow along with my gardening expertise! I prepared my beds yesterday, and I'm planting today :-)
Jared Reck
That's right. We're gardening. Great guide for those looking to dig a little deeper. (See what I did there?)
Bird
Who knew I could get so excited about a gardening book? But I'm definitely excited, because this book is just what I was looking for as we begin our first foray into vegetable gardening.

The book has multiple options for gardeners (from growing veggies right out of bags of soil, to a "Family Food Factory"), depending on how much time and space you have to devote to taking care of your new garden. Each option also features three years' worth of plans, so you can slowly expand your garden over tim
Amy
The flat-out best vegetable gardening book for new gardeners. I recommend it in all my food-gardening lectures. The garden plans are beautiful and easy to execute.
Kathryn
Loved the way it was organized. Loved the tips. Loved that it included multiple plans and ideas to grow your garden over the course of several years.
Chase Seibert
Good ideas. Very repetitive content between all the gardens. Good illustrations. Poor Kindle conversion; section titles are in 100pt font.
Barb
I'm feeling ready to go beyond adding a few vegies to my flower garden. Last year the cucumbers weren't as good as the year prior, but I did forget to mention watering the garden before I went on vacation.... But the beans were a lot of fun to grow. I like the process more than the product, so that is probably why I haven't done too much with vegies. This book is very informative and motivating. I'm going to try the gardening straight out of the soil bags. Much easier than breaking new ground. E ...more
Jackie Tilks
I actually didn't read every single page of this book. I used it as a resource to educate myself before setting up our first family garden this year. It is very approachable, written in simple how-to format with a lot of pictures. I would recommend it to anyone who is thinking about starting a vegetable garden.
Tina
Another great gardening book from Barbara Pleasant and Burpee. This one has all of these garden plans that start from a beginner and then go from there. There are lots of pictures, ideas, and lay-outs to choose from so I don't think you can go wrong with this one. Would highly recommend this book.
sasasasasasasasasa
really great for an ambitious beginner. "recipes" for lots of different kinds of edible gardens and each has a 3year plan that you can work up to as you learn more. step-by-step instructions and lots of practical, illustrated info on techniques, planting plans, etc.
AJ
This book has a lot of pre-planned gardens, but that's not quite what I was hoping for. It's a beautiful, full color book with lots of pictures and diagrams. However, if you already have a garden planned or planted, this book isn't for you.
I looooved this book. I love the design ideas, I loved the idea to grow stuff in bags so they smother the grass. I love the three year plans. I love that it makes it seem so easy. I wish that I had this book.
Junio
We're making a modified version of the easy care bag garden right now. The squash starts that we planted a little over a week ago have a lot of flowers today. Looking forward to their fruits.
Tisha
This book really got me thinking about how to incorporate a garden into my yard. It feels like a good beginner book, although I haven't planted anything yet to prove that.
Morgan
I sort of skimmed through this looking for ideas but it seemed like a decent book. I didn't care for their set up of things but I did get me started.
Fawn Rueckert
Great plans, especially the ones broken down into three year increments. I'd love to try the front yard vegie garden.
Tina
Very handy little book for beginning gardeners. Great ideas and garden layout illustrations.
Cristiana
Loving this so far. Exactly what I was looking for.
Barbara
Display for Learning Landscape.
Nancy
Some super simple ideas for growing vegetables--including basically growing them in the bag of soil!
Abagail
Abagail marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Leah Flowers
Leah Flowers is currently reading it
Jun 11, 2015
Jarrett Clay
Jarrett Clay marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
  • Grow Great Grub: Organic Food from Small Spaces
  • Week-by-Week Vegetable Gardener's Handbook: Perfectly Timed Gardening for Your Most Bountiful Harvest Ever
  • Fresh Food from Small Spaces: The Square-Inch Gardener's Guide to Year-Round Growing, Fermenting, and Sprouting
  • The Edible Front Yard: The Mow-Less, Grow-More Plan for a Beautiful, Bountiful Garden
  • Edible Landscaping
  • One Magic Square: The Easy, Organic Way to Grow Your Own Food on a 3-Foot Square
  • Carrots Love Tomatoes: Secrets of Companion Planting for Successful Gardening
  • Rodale's Ultimate Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening: The Indispensable Green Resource for Every Gardener
  • Sugar Snaps and Strawberries: Simple Solutions for Creating Your Own Small-Space Edible Garden
  • Self Sufficiency for the 21st Century
  • Eat More Dirt: Diverting and Instructive Tips for Growing and Tending an Organic Garden
  • McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container: A Container Garden of Vegetables, Herbs, Fruits and Edible Flowers
  • Small-Plot, High-Yield Gardening: How to Grow Like a Pro, Save Money, and Eat Well by Turning Your Back (or Front or Side) Yard Into An Organic Produce Garden
  • Lasagna Gardening: A New System for Great Gardens: No Digging, No Tilling, No Weeding, No Kidding!
  • Vertical Gardening: Grow Up, Not Out, for More Vegetables and Flowers in Much Less Space
  • A Little Piece of Earth: How to Grow Your Own Food in Small Spaces
  • Vegetable Gardener's Container Bible
The Complete Compost Gardening Guide: Banner Batches, Grow Heaps, Comforter Compost, and Other Amazing Techniques for Saving Time and Money, and Producing the Most Flavorful, Nutritious Vegetables Ever The Complete Houseplant Survival Manual: Essential Gardening Know-how for Keeping (Not Killing!) More Than 160 Indoor Plants Easy Garden Projects to Make, Build, and Grow: 100 Do-It-Yourself Ideas to Help You Grow Your Best Garden Ever Gardening Essentials (Complete Gardener's Library) Ortho's All about Vegetables