Gold Standard

Gold Standard

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  140 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Says Coach K: "In all forms of leadership, whether you are a coach, a CEO, or a parent, there are four words that, when said, can bring out the best in your team, your employees, and your family...I BELIEVE IN YOU.
These four words can mean the difference between a fear of failure and the courage to try."
In his previous bestselling books, Coach K has guided readers to suc...more
Published April 6th 2009 by Grand Central Publishing (first published March 19th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Gold Standard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gold Standard

Teri
May 02, 2009 Teri rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: LaSchelle
Recommended to Teri by: firstreads
I loved this book! Couldn't put it down. I didn't think I would enjoy it as much as I did.
I liked the format of the book. Very well done. It is a book about team-building and Coach K uses experiences from coaching the 2008 U.S. Men's Olympic Basketball team. "This book is divided into times and moments, with each chapter devoted to a particular quality of time I feel is vital to team building." There are various qualities: Time to develop a support system, Time to understand context, Time to fo...more
Payam
This is a pleasant story on leadership. The author speaks about his experience of coaching the U.S.A Men Basketball team which won gold in the 2008 olympics. He writes about his interaction with others and their struggle to win gold. This accumulates into a fun read. Not particularly an insightful read.

The book lacks in depth in leadership psychology and practical challenges. It does not explain the psyche of the players and of the coach too well. Furthermore, it never speaks negatively of any t...more
J.C.
Going in I knew this was not going to be a traditional biography. It was going to be a book about leadership using the formation of the 2008 US Olympic Basketball team as an example of how a team gets built, how it defines its goals and aspirations and ultimately how they went about achieving those goals. It was going to be peppered with "moments" Coach K. experienced while working and crafting the team.

As a team building book it is a top notch book full of useful advice and intelligent wisdom....more
Sean
This book gives the reader a inside look at the mind of Coach K and what he was thinking in picking the 2008 Olympic men's basketball team. Coach K is one of the most brilliant basketball coaches of all time and he had to figure out a way to redeem the 2004 bronze medal performance in Athens, in the prior Olympics.
Librtea
The Gold Standard: Building a World-Class Team is at times self-indulgent, but is essentially a well-told story of Team USA’s quest for gold in basketball at the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing. Written by Head Coach Mike Krzyzewski, the book gives readers a behind-the-scenes look at team building. Coach K writes about himself, members of the team, his philosophy and approach to putting the team together, and details of games played at the Olympics. Coach notes that there are "losers, winners, a...more
Jeremy
I picked this book off a shelf in my house. It was not that new of a book telling the story of a coach, and the 2008 USA Men's Basketball Olympic team. This book is a very satisfying one to read but is more like an instruction book rather than a story, which it says in the title. I would still recommend it to all sports fans.
Grace
Entertaining memoir of coaching the 2008 Olympic U.S. basketball team. However, the business-related "lessons" appended to the end of each chapter seemed to be thrown in at the last minute - superficial and marginally related to the story. I also found the obligatory acknowledgements throughout the book to the team's various sponsors to be a bit annoying. It would have been a better book as simply a memoir.
Pamela
I heart college basketball, coack K and Duke. Wasn't a big NBA/Lebron fan but after ready this book i have a whole new respect for the Gold USA team and how they play together in the NBA. Great book for team building, coach K is truly talented as a coach and lebron ain't so bad a player either. lol. its not about coack k or college basketball but how these players come to win USA the Gold.
Mario
Is Coack K successful because he knows motivation tactics and his X's and O's or because he has DWade passing to LeBron? Yet another ubersuccessful sports coach telling us what needs to be done in the boardroom and in life to be successful. Although I did take away some points to use with my own teams I'd prefer to have Lebron on my side vs China.
Matt Larsen
I thought that it was pretty weak. Coach K just wanted to make everything so mooshy about how great everyone was and how they did it. It just wasn't that inspirational. They had the best team, and I know the chemistry is hard, but if the USA plays hard D and unselfish they should beat a group of B NBA players besides the Gasols.
Clayton Tune
I've never had a thing for basketball, but taking leadership from one of the most successful coaches in basketball and in this country is what makes this book. Very much enjoyed the journey Coach K and his team made to win the Gold in 2008. Really gave me an appreciation for the sport. Great stories of the team.
Trayan Sarafov
Превъзходно четиво. Историята е предадена със страхотна емоция. Стилът за пореден път е блестящ. Всички персонажи и събития са представени с висока класа. Заглавието отговаря чудесно на съдържанието. Следван е златен стандарт в изпълнението на мисията и в предаването й на читателите. Великолепна книга.
Steve
I loved how Coach K would explain a leadership/management technique and show how he and his assistants would reinforce that technique with specific examples from the 2006 - 2008 USA Basketball teams. He also included the failures and what was learned from those failures.
Aaron
As a basketball fan, I enjoyed this book. It is esentially a self-help/business encouragement type book for "team leaders". I would have prefered a simple narrative about the exploits of what may have been, the most talented basketball team to walk on a court.
Philip
Interesting and inspiring thoughts from a great coach and a successful leader. The book was particularly fun to read because it is arranged thematically instead of chronologically. A must read for basketball fans and anyone in a position of leadership.
Michael
Not much at all of the play-by-play review of olympic basketball, and certainly not some expose of what training and playing and coaching was like......it's apparently half management guru but mostly after school special.
James Geddes
I was inspired! Make Drzyzewski has been one of my favorite coaches. In The Gold Standard I came to
a better understanding of what makes him a great coach.
Rick
Had trouble finishing this book. I was actually reading the hard copy and most of the information provided I have read many times before.
Becky
Apr 06, 2009 Becky marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book in a first-reads giveaway. I am really interested in reading this.
Jon
Awesome insights to the success of a reformed USA Men's Basketball pogram!
Jaelyn Johnson
good book to read and to get motivation off of
Brad Huebner
Lots of celebrity athletes on tour.
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Mike Krzyzewski has been the basketball coach of the Duke Blue Devils for twenty-seven years, winning three NCAA championships and twelve national Coach of the Year awards. He is revered and respected by sports fans and business leaders everywhere. Coach K. lives with his family in Durham, North Carolina.
More about Mike Krzyzewski...
Leading with the Heart: Coach K's Successful Strategies for Basketball, Business, and Life Beyond Basketball: Coach K's Keywords for Success Five-Point Play: The Story of Duke's Amazing 2000-2001 Championship Season Winning Hoops with Coach K on CD ROM Duke Basketball Series Complete Colleciton DVD