Start by marking “Abraham Lincoln” as Want to Read:
Abraham Lincoln

Abraham Lincoln

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  9 reviews
One of the most important works on Abraham Lincoln from the era when he was passing out of living memory and into history, this 1917 classic is a rich, evocative portrait of the man and how actions as a leader were shaped by his character and ideals. From its British perspective, offering a fresh angle on an American legend, to its charming readability, Charnwood's treatis ...more
Published July 1st 2009 by Cosimo Classics (first published 1916)

To ask other readers questions about Abraham Lincoln, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Abraham Lincoln

UChicagoLaw
In the waning weeks of Abraham Lincoln’s bicentennial year, I am still being asked (because I teach a course every winter on Lincoln) what one book to read on the 16th President. Those who want facts can go to David Herbert Donald’s Lincoln (1995) and those who want anecdotes can go to Doris Kearns Goodwin’s over-exposed Team of Rivals (2005), but the most discerning portrait of Lincoln as statesman is still Lincoln by Lord Charnwood (Godfrey Rathbone Benson), published in 1917, still widely ava ...more
Rosie
Goodreads winner.
This century-old biography of Abraham Lincoln is engaging and well-worth reading. Written by an Englishman for a British audience approximately 50 years after Lincoln's assassination.The beginning of the book is a review of the history of America from a British point-of-view. Despite its age this book stands the test of time and is an intelligent look at Lincoln who is among the great men of our time. Charnwood's admiration and respect for Lincoln is evident from the beginning.
Dick
Just finished this book, written in 1917 by Lord Charnwood. Outstanding piece of work. At the time it was published it was considered a landmark biography. The book does an outstanding job of tracing Lincoln's life from the frontier of Kentucky/Indiana and Illinois and from being literally dirt poor to the best president this country has ever had. It combines detailed political facts with Lincoln's evolving personage. Better yet, it starts way before the Civil War and helps to establish the rrea ...more
James Foley
A clear and well-argued biography of Abraham Lincoln written by an Englishman born during the Civil War and published during the First World War, this book holds Lincoln in great esteem. Because the writer is not American, because he is raised in a very different political system he is acutely aware of what the American President is and is not. The book shows how the limits of Lincoln's education brought forth some of the best prose written in English and why the limits and clarity of his politi ...more
Callie Dean
I didn't like the perspective of this book. The author painted Lincoln as a bad man, not a good one. It was full of myths, and facts that had only been speculation during Charnwood's time. He didnt check his sources, and yet it has become a classic, merely because it was read many times, and is an interesting books. The facts sound right, but after further research there are many many myths.
Wow. Reading the story of the Civil War via Lincoln's life is moving and thought provoking. The subject is painful to study and face but it should be done. I look forward to studying Lincoln's speeches and life over again.
Brian Hull
Not the best book I've ever read, but it was pretty good...allthough, I will read any book about the greatest American who ever lived in the history of the world. Can't wait to read more about our 16th President.
April
Didn't really care for this as a biography- I don't really feel like I learned anything new about Lincoln and that it wasn't really about Lincoln all of the time. My rating sums it up, it was ok.
Rob
The best book I read this year -- terrific insight into Lincoln's character and times. Definitely my favorite biography -- worth reading if you've never read it.
Alexa
Alexa marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
John B
John B marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
robin handwerger
robin handwerger marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Sharon Goss
Sharon Goss marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
David Carter
David Carter marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Dana
Dana added it
Feb 13, 2015
Lincoln
Lincoln marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Sarah Gaddy
Sarah Gaddy marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Dave Ermer
Dave Ermer marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Nico
Nico marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Norbert L
Norbert L marked it as to-read
Jae Park
Jae Park marked it as to-read
Denise Whisenhunt
Denise Whisenhunt marked it as to-read
Claudia
Claudia marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
  • Reagan's War: The Epic Story of His Forty Year Struggle and Final Triumph Over Communism
  • Courage and Consequence: My Life as a Conservative in the Fight
  • Disraeli: A Picture of the Victorian Age
  • President Lincoln: The Duty of a Statesman
  • Andrew Johnson (The American Presidents, #17)
  • Rutherford B. Hayes (The American Presidents, #19)
  • Franklin Pierce (The American Presidents, #14)
  • Conversations Of Goethe
  • From Manassas To Appomattox
  • George Washington: The Founding Father
  • Lincoln: A Life of Purpose and Power
  • The Gettysburg Campaign: A Study in Command
  • Personal Memoirs
  • Crisis of the House Divided: An Interpretation of the Issues in the Lincoln-Douglas Debates
  • Grover Cleveland (The American Presidents, #22, #24)
  • "We are Lincoln Men": Abraham Lincoln and His Friends
  • A Republic, Not an Empire: Reclaiming America's Destiny
  • George H. W. Bush (The American Presidents, #41)
Godfrey Rathbone Benson, 1st Baron Charnwood was a British author, academic, Liberal politician and philanthropist.

He was educated at Winchester and Balliol College, Oxford. He graduated in 1887, and would later become a philosophy lecturer at Balliol. He was involved in politics and represented Woodstock in the House of Commons from 1892 to 1895 and served as Mayor of Lichfield between 1909 and 1
More about Godfrey Benson...
Tracks in the Snow (A Mystery Classic) Theodore Roosevelt Aria da Capo: A Play in One Act 50 Classic Biographies