Start by marking “Living My Life, in Two Volumes: Vol. II” as Want to Read:
Living My Life, in Two Volumes: Vol. II

Living My Life, in Two Volumes: Vol. II

One of the towering figures in global radicalism of the late 19th and early 20th centuries, EMMA GOLDMAN (1869 1940) was an anarchist, a feminist, a pacifist, a communist, a unionist, and a proponent of birth control and free love. Her extreme notions made her as much an object of outrage as one of reverence in the tumultuous years of the Gilded Age, World War I, and the R ...more
Published January 1st 2013 by Cosimo Classics (first published January 1st 1931)

To ask other readers questions about Living My Life, in Two Volumes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living My Life, in Two Volumes

Michael
Apr 19, 2015 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anarchists, feminists, political science students
Recommended to Michael by: Laure Akai
This is the second part of Emma Goldman’s memoirs of life as an anarchist in the early years of the Twentieth Century, and it describes the later, more “mature” (or at least older) segment of her career as a revolutionary. While it is still a thrilling, highly accessible, at times inspiring, read, it also has a somewhat more somber tone, as Emma is increasingly discouraged by what she sees in the world around her and betrayed by people she once believed in.

The volume begins with the death of Vol
Florence
Mar 08, 2013 Florence rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Emma Goldman,anarchist, had intelligence and bold determination that saved many lives and brought injustices to the surface. Her life was intertwined with that of Sasha Bernhardt, beginning at the Chicago Hay Market tragedy. Sasha, incensed by such injustices, was sentenced to 22 years for an offence legally calling for only seven.
For her many attempts to achieve change, Emma was deported from the USA to Russia under horrific conditions. The truths of what hapened in the Bolshevik revolution, t
Natalie
Simply fascinating.

The bulk of this volume deals with Emma's deportation and the time she spent in Bolshevik Russia. I've been meaning to study more the history of the Russian Revolution, and beginning that with the memoirs of an anarchist was accidental, but illuminating.

Emma is just so brutally honest in her portrayal of herself. Her romance regarding the Revolution, and her creeping horror at seeing beneath the Soviet veneer, really made an impact on me.

Reading this book, about some of the
Artnoose Noose
Sep 21, 2009 Artnoose Noose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all anarchists
This was my first time reading the second volume of this autobiography. In general, I enjoyed the first volume better, I think because it had more details about her personal life. Romantically, she kind of slows down at this point in her life, although I was cheered that she had an affair with someone much younger than her when she was in her 50s.

The first and last parts of the book revolve mainly around her lecture tours, which I didn't find very interesting. The central part about her time sp
Shelley
Not as interesting as Vol. 1, but once I picked it up, I still couldn't put it down. Emma's ability to convey anything in a captivating manner is on display, and a large portion of the book is taken up with her account of Russia in the years following the revolution of 1917. She provides an excellent first hand perspective of the hypocrisy and abuses and their variability across the country which culminates in a scathing critique of the Dictatorship of the Proletariat. As such, this book's histo ...more
Carmilla Voiez
I have to admit to preferring the first volume, when Emma was young and starry eyed and full of positive energy. This volume is sad and written by a woman who begins to feel defeated by the world. That said I love this way of learning history and learned more about the Russian revolution, Lenin and Trotsy than I ever thought I would. If there was a third book I would read it, but sadly this is the end of Emma's autobiography.
Miquixote

Most of this part is about Goldman's time in Lenin and Trotsky's Russia. Devastating account of that despotic regime. Extremely depressing exposé of the fraud of the Russian Revolution.

I can't figure out why Emma didn't join the Maknovist anarchists. I really wished she did, so sad she didn't...oh, Kronstadt, oh Ukraine, oh Russia! What suffering! So sad!
Spicy T AKA Mr. Tea
An incredible finish to nearly a 1000 page memoir of E.G. The most fascinating chapter for me was her discussion of Bolshevik Russia and the destruction of the Revolutionary ideal via the dictatorship under Lenin and Trotsky. I thought it ended rather abruptly unfortunately. I highly recommend this work. Both volumes give a tremendous history of the U.S. and world politics. I <3 Emma Goldman! :)
Zack
O MY GAWD.

I'm so in love with Emma after reading this book. Such a fascinating book. What a life she led! And she drops so many names of other anarchists and activists that this book will be a great reference for further research. It's 950 pages but it's such a fun page turner. It's not too long.
Dana Garrett
Jun 11, 2012 Dana Garrett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anarchism-read
Red Emma's riveting and authentic account of her remarkable and highly principled life. Volume 2 details her work as a mature revolutionary and activist as well as her relationships with the great loves of her life. Not to be missed are her accounts of interactions with other famous revolutionary thinkers and activists like Peter Kropotkin. This book is a page turner.
Kimberly
someday i will write an alternative history short story i came up with when i read these 2 volumes way back when...
Chris Pesterfield
Chris Pesterfield rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2014
Carly Guarino
Carly Guarino rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2008
Minami
Minami rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2015
michael dittmar
michael dittmar rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2015
Delia
Delia rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2008
Farrow Ulven
Farrow Ulven rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2016
Inna
Inna rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2015
Mike
Mike rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2008
Kristiana
Kristiana rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2012
Ursulawink
Ursulawink rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2015
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2012
Mehrin
Mehrin rated it it was ok
Nov 14, 2016
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2012
Lenni Benson
Lenni Benson rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2013
Esin Daldeniz coşkun
Esin Daldeniz coşkun rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2013
Derek
Derek rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2016
Jamie Koplin
Jamie Koplin rated it liked it
May 24, 2015
Chris
Chris rated it it was ok
Apr 02, 2008
  • Anarcho-Syndicalism: Theory and Practice
  • Free Women of Spain: Anarchism and the Struggle for the Emancipation of Women
  • The Modern School Movement: Anarchism and Education in the United States
  • No Gods No Masters: An Anthology of Anarchism
  • Black Flame: The Revolutionary Class Politics of Anarchism and Syndicalism (Counter-Power vol 1)
  • Durruti in the Spanish Revolution
  • Strike!
  • Granny Made Me an Anarchist: General Franco, The Angry Brigade and Me
  • Memoirs of a Revolutionist
  • Quiet Rumours: An Anarcha-Feminist Reader
  • The Bending Cross: A Biography of Eugene Victor Debs
  • Daring to Be Bad: Radical Feminism in America, 1967-1975
  • The Many-Headed Hydra: Sailors, Slaves, Commoners, and the Hidden History of the Revolutionary Atlantic
  • Emma
Emma Goldman was a feminist anarchist known for her political activism, writing and speeches. She played a pivotal role in the development of anarchist political philosophy in North America and Europe in the first half of the twentieth century.

Born in Kovno in the Russian Empire (present-day Kaunas, Lithuania), Goldman emigrated to the US in 1885 and lived in New York City, where she joined the bu
More about Emma Goldman...