Living My Life, in Two Volumes: Vol. II

Living My Life, in Two Volumes: Vol. II

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  210 ratings  ·  9 reviews
One of the towering figures in global radicalism of the late 19th and early 20th centuries, EMMA GOLDMAN (18691940) was an anarchist, a feminist, a pacifist, a communist, a unionist, and a proponent of birth control and free love. Her extreme notions made her as much an object of outrage as one of reverence in the tumultuous years of the Gilded Age, World War I, and the Ro...more
Published November 1st 2008 by Cosimo Classics (first published January 1st 1931)

Florence
Emma Goldman,anarchist, had intelligence and bold determination that saved many lives and brought injustices to the surface. Her life was intertwined with that of Sasha Bernhardt, beginning at the Chicago Hay Market tragedy. Sasha, incensed by such injustices, was sentenced to 22 years for an offence legally calling for only seven.
For her many attempts to achieve change, Emma was deported from the USA to Russia under horrific conditions. The truths of what hapened in the Bolshevik revolution, t...more
Natalie
Simply fascinating.

The bulk of this volume deals with Emma's deportation and the time she spent in Bolshevik Russia. I've been meaning to study more the history of the Russian Revolution, and beginning that with the memoirs of an anarchist was accidental, but illuminating.

Emma is just so brutally honest in her portrayal of herself. Her romance regarding the Revolution, and her creeping horror at seeing beneath the Soviet veneer, really made an impact on me.

Reading this book, about some of the...more
Artnoose Noose
Sep 21, 2009 Artnoose Noose rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all anarchists
This was my first time reading the second volume of this autobiography. In general, I enjoyed the first volume better, I think because it had more details about her personal life. Romantically, she kind of slows down at this point in her life, although I was cheered that she had an affair with someone much younger than her when she was in her 50s.

The first and last parts of the book revolve mainly around her lecture tours, which I didn't find very interesting. The central part about her time sp...more
Shelley
Not as interesting as Vol. 1, but once I picked it up, I still couldn't put it down. Emma's ability to convey anything in a captivating manner is on display, and a large portion of the book is taken up with her account of Russia in the years following the revolution of 1917. She provides an excellent first hand perspective of the hypocrisy and abuses and their variability across the country which culminates in a scathing critique of the Dictatorship of the Proletariat. As such, this book's histo...more
Spicy T AKA Mr. Tea
An incredible finish to nearly a 1000 page memoir of E.G. The most fascinating chapter for me was her discussion of Bolshevik Russia and the destruction of the Revolutionary ideal via the dictatorship under Lenin and Trotsky. I thought it ended rather abruptly unfortunately. I highly recommend this work. Both volumes give a tremendous history of the U.S. and world politics. I <3 Emma Goldman! :)
Dana Garrett
Red Emma's riveting and authentic account of her remarkable and highly principled life. Volume 2 details her work as a mature revolutionary and activist as well as her relationships with the great loves of her life. Not to be missed are her accounts of interactions with other famous revolutionary thinkers and activists like Peter Kropotkin. This book is a page turner.
Miquixote

Most of this part is about Goldman's time in Lenin and Trotsky's Russia. Devastating account of that despotic regime. Extremely depressing exposé of the fraud of the Russian Revolution.

I can't figure out why Emma didn't join the Maknovist anarchists. I really wished she did, so sad she didn't...oh, Kronstadt, oh Ukraine, oh Russia! What suffering! So sad!
Kimberly
someday i will write an alternative history short story i came up with when i read these 2 volumes way back when...
Chris
second half, with a description of her time in the USSR
Anarky
Anarky marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Leah Halkett
Leah Halkett marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Conor Murphy
Conor Murphy marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Jonathan Picard
Jonathan Picard marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Melanie Jenner
Melanie Jenner marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Ryan Mera evans
Ryan Mera evans marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
NormaCenva
NormaCenva marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Dale
Dale marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Seth Reeves
Seth Reeves marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Rich
Rich is currently reading it
Jun 30, 2014
Melinda
Melinda marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Allan
Allan marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
Canan Armoni Altın
Canan Armoni Altın marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
Lemmy
Lemmy marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Carson Elliott
Carson Elliott marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Ana Rînceanu
Ana Rînceanu marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Sami Sayed
Sami Sayed marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
  • No Gods No Masters: An Anthology of Anarchism
  • The Spanish Anarchists: The Heroic Years 1868-1936
  • Black Flame: The Revolutionary Class Politics of Anarchism and Syndicalism (Counter-Power vol 1)
  • Prison Memoirs of an Anarchist
  • How Nonviolence Protects the State
  • Direct Action: An Ethnography
  • A Dangerous Woman: The Graphic Biography of Emma Goldman
  • Quiet Rumours: An Anarcha-Feminist Reader
  • Pacifism as Pathology: Reflections on the Role of Armed Struggle in North America
  • On Power and Ideology: The Managua Lectures
  • Wobblies and Zapatistas: Conversations on Anarchism, Marxism and Radical History
  • Demanding the Impossible: A History of Anarchism
  • The Many-Headed Hydra: Sailors, slaves, commoners, and the hidden history of the revolutionary atlantic
Emma Goldman was a feminist anarchist known for her political activism, writing and speeches. She played a pivotal role in the development of anarchist political philosophy in North America and Europe in the first half of the twentieth century.

Born in Kovno in the Russian Empire (present-day Kaunas, Lithuania), Goldman emigrated to the US in 1885 and lived in New York City, where she joined the bu...more
More about Emma Goldman...
Anarchism and Other Essays Living My Life Living My Life, Vol. 1 Red Emma Speaks Marriage and Love