History of Alexander the Great

History of Alexander the Great (Makers of History #3)

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  222 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Abraham Lincoln raved that this series of historical biographies gave him "just that knowledge of past men and events which I need. I have read them with the greatest interest. To them I am indebted for about all the historical knowledge I have." Considered what we would now call "young adult" literature, this collection, first published between 1848 and 1871, was designed...more
Published October 1st 2009 by Cosimo Classics (first published 1849)

Andrea Hickman Walker
This was very interesting. I had no idea that Alexander was such an unpleasant person on top of being the conqueror of just about the whole known world. The only decent people, as far as I could tell, were the old general he had murdered on what appears to be an utterly ridiculous pretext, and Darius-king-of-Persia's mother.

As I listened to the LibriVox version, I have no way of knowing if the book contained much in the way of references or notes, but I very much doubt the accuracy of some of th...more
Kiran Kumar
I would say that this is the best book that I have read up to date in this year. The author was quite successful in bringing about the chronological events of Alexander, right from his birth to his death, in very simple English, that could be understood by people who yearn to learn about history, across the world.
Alexander (B.C., 356-336), son of King Philip of Macedonia, the northern province of the then Grecian territory, has been a prodigal son right from his childhood. He was under the able...more
Dayla
It would appear that Alexander the Great was only "great" the first few years as a leader after his father died. When he went into Thebes for example, he let all of the people with any skill or talent (such as poets or artists) go free, in addition to letting all the priests go free as well. He spared Darius' wife and children. Darius was Alexander's nemesis.

But in the end, too fat, too dissipated, and too desperate, he lost all of his judgement about people and countries. After 25 years straigh...more
Tim Hatfield
Listened to this on librivox. General and story like treatment of the history. Learned some things about Romans and Greeks.

In the end Alexander became what he sought to conquer ( Persian way of life).

A good skim of the highlights of his life and times. I enjoyed it
Fred
As far as a history of what he accomplished and a retelling of the battle tactics, strategies and all that stuff, this is not the book that you're looking for. This is a straight up biography dealing with Alexander's character and his person alone for the most part.

It's interesting that the writer, publishing this book well over a hundred years ago, believed that Alexander let power go to his head and basically makes the claim that he was enamored with himself and his own power, believing in th...more
Lauren Schumacher
The last biography I read was about another Great (Catherine). It took me months to read--months and months. The minutia of information was disabling; it was like reading the minutes of Parliament, but, like, Russian Parliament. The tedium was so excruciating for a novel-lover like me that it took me five years to attempt another biography. This book, by contrast, was too short, too light--it barely wet my whistle.

Now, the fault lies partially in my research. I didn't know when I started this th...more
Rick Davis
This is a very general history of Alexander the Great that gives a big-picture view of his life. It was originally written for young people, so it is fairly simplified and contains quite a few educational excursions (Greek mythology, how oases are formed, how camels survive in the desert, etc.). However, it is well-written, exciting, and energetic. I'm planning on reading Paul Cartledge's book on Alexander the Great soon, and wanted a general overview of Alexander's life in a narrative format be...more
Brian
This was a good example of how cultural context can change how history is written. For example in this book Alexander's life ending fever was brought on by a night of heavy drinking and the author certainly did not try and be objective in his account. Now it is suspected that Alexander died of malaria. There were many numerous examples of this. I did enjoy this book simply for some of the historical facts which it contained but thought that the authors depiction of the character of Alexander was...more
Daniel Hulmes
Much like the Hannibal biography I'd previously read, this book provides a solid overview of one of the most important figures in history. I didn't know too much about Alexander and his campaigns before reading it, so the book worked very well in providing all the most important events.

Jacob Abbott does have a tendency to repeatedly condemn acts of brutality that were commonplace during such times. As such, it can get slightly irritating after a while. Still an enjoyable read though (plus it's f...more
Maria Mica
Read this a few years ago when I was so interested in Alexander. It was a good book if you're interested in knowing Alexander's character.
Ian
Succinct and easily readable account of the conqueror's exploits from childhood to his death, although the author seems to have skipped the time after the death of Darius when Alexander reached India. Depictions of actual famous battles are extremely brief and glanced over, favoring the description of the emotional and mental state of the man himself over detailed military history.
Dimitra Ekmektsis
Nicely told story of the greatest general who ever lived, and the most influential man in history... I missed some descriptions of some of the battles Alexander was involved in, so it was a little too short, but well worth the read.
Rocky & Laura Ellis
Dry but interesting if you are interested in the history of the period, or of the guy. As a genealogist, I found it interesting to "see" what life would have been for many of my ancestors back then.
Rebecca
An interesting account of Alexander the great, better than abbott's usual level of writing. Abbott once gain weeps that the heroes of history were nothing but a bunch of butchers.
Martinxo
My first Kindle e-book, and free! Alexander was a bit of a lad, conquered most of the near east and then drank himself to death, all by the age of 32. Geezer.
Joe
A good book for the younger reader who wants to get acquainted with Alexander the Great.
Shawn
This was a great book on Alexander the Great and his military victories.
Asmaa Abdrasol
This is great book abut great character that I admire :)
Pirosca
The extraordinary spirit of Megas Alexandros, what made him different and superior to ordinary men and the fantastic opportunities he was presented. Not the best book on the subject, a little subjective, but inspiring nonetheless.
Ricka1191gmail.com
Ricka1191gmail.com marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Shilpaa Rajoriaa
Shilpaa Rajoriaa is currently reading it
Jul 17, 2014
Menina iscrazy
Menina iscrazy marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Mary Pickett
Mary Pickett marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Abdiazis
Abdiazis marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Ariel
Ariel marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
  • The White Horse King: The Life of Alfred the Great
  • The Recollections and Letters of General Robert E. Lee (Civil War Library)
  • Our Island Story: A History of Britain for Boys and Girls
  • Alexander the Great
  • History of the Conquest of Mexico
  • Scipio Africanus
  • The Secret Voyage of Sir Francis Drake: 1577-1580
  • Ghost on the Throne: The Death of Alexander the Great and the War for Crown and Empire
  • Letters of Two Brides
  • 10 People Every Christian Should Know
  • The Voice of Reason: A V.I.P. Pass to Enlightenment
  • Catch a Wave: The Rise, Fall, and Redemption of the Beach Boys' Brian Wilson
  • Early Modern Times: From Elizabeth the First to the Forty-Niners
  • Why I Fight: The Belt Is Just an Accessory
  • Aunt Jo's Scrap-Bag (Little Women)
  • Can I Have Joy In My Life? (Crucial Questions, #12)
  • The Autobiography of G. K. Chesterton
  • Iceman: My Fighting Life
Abbott was born at Hallowell, Maine to Jacob and Betsey Abbott. He graduated from Bowdoin College in 1820; studied at Andover Theological Seminary in 1821, 1822, and 1824; was tutor in 1824-1825, and from 1825 to 1829 was professor of mathematics and natural philosophy at Amherst College; was licensed to preach by the Hampshire Association in 1826; founded the Mount Vernon School for Young Ladies...more
More about Jacob Abbott...
Cleopatra History of Julius Caesar (With Engravings) Queen Elizabeth Mary Queen of Scots Hannibal (Yesterday's Classics)