Start by marking “The Works of Robert G. Ingersoll, Vol. I (in 12 Volumes)” as Want to Read:
The Works of Robert G. Ingersoll, Vol. I (in 12 Volumes)

The Works of Robert G. Ingersoll, Vol. I (in 12 Volumes)

4.41 of 5 stars 4.41  ·  rating details  ·  22 ratings  ·  2 reviews
As outspoken in his day as Richard Dawkins or Christopher Hitchens are today, ROBERT GREEN INGERSOLL (1833-1899) was a notorious radical whose uncompromising views on religion and slavery (they were bad, in his opinion), women's suffrage (a good idea, he believed), and other contentious matters of his era made him a wildly popular orator and critic of American culture and...more
Published November 1st 2009 by Cosimo Classics (first published January 11th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Works of Robert G. Ingersoll, Vol. I, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Works of Robert G. Ingersoll, Vol. I

Jim
Mr. Ingersoll is a talented lecturer whose lectures are still fresh today. Clear, convincing, and full of humor
Felipe
Felipe marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Annette4telus.net
Annette4telus.net marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
DAN
DAN marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Keith Suta
Keith Suta is currently reading it
Aug 04, 2014
Oneida
Oneida marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Bruce Foster
Bruce Foster marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Katrine Vestaberg
Katrine Vestaberg marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Rodney Ulyate
Rodney Ulyate marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Chuck
Chuck marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Randy
Randy added it
May 11, 2014
Shanna
Shanna marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
Gregory W. Allen
Gregory W. Allen marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Juli
Juli is currently reading it
Mar 27, 2014
Iron Iconoclast
Iron Iconoclast marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
Kerrie
Kerrie marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Gary Henderson
Gary Henderson is currently reading it
Dec 27, 2013
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2013
"On August 11, 1833, was born the greatest and noblest of the Western World; an immense personality, -- unique, lovable, sublime; the peerless orator of all time, and as true a poet as Nature ever held in tender clasp upon her loving breast, and, in words coined for the chosen few, told of the joys and sorrows, hopes, dreams, and fears of universal life; a patriot whose golden words and deathless...more
More about Robert G. Ingersoll...
What's God Got to Do with it? Robert Ingersoll on Free Thought, Honest Talk & the Separation of Church & State Some Mistakes of Moses On the Gods and Other Essays The Best of Robert Ingersoll Lectures of Col. Robert Green Ingersoll

“Like the most of you, I was raised among people who knew - who were certain. They did not reason or investigate. They had no doubts. They knew that they had the truth. In their creed there was no guess — no perhaps. They had a revelation from God. They knew the beginning of things. They knew that God commenced to create one Monday morning, four thousand and four years before Christ. They knew that in the eternity — back of that morning, he had done nothing. They knew that it took him six days to make the earth — all plants, all animals, all life, and all the globes that wheel in space. They knew exactly what he did each day and when he rested. They knew the origin, the cause of evil, of all crime, of all disease and death.

At the same time they knew that God created man in his own image and was perfectly satisfied with his work... They knew all about the Flood -- knew that God, with the exception of eight, drowned all his children -- the old and young -- the bowed patriarch and the dimpled babe -- the young man and the merry maiden -- the loving mother and the laughing child -- because his mercy endureth forever. They knew too, that he drowned the beasts and birds -- everything that walked or crawled or flew -- because his loving kindness is over all his works. They knew that God, for the purpose of civilizing his children, had devoured some with earthquakes, destroyed some with storms of fire, killed some with his lightnings, millions with famine, with pestilence, and sacrificed countless thousands upon the fields of war. They knew that it was necessary to believe these things and to love God. They knew that there could be no salvation except by faith, and through the atoning blood of Jesus Christ.

Then I asked myself the question: Is there a supernatural power -- an arbitrary mind -- an enthroned God -- a supreme will that sways the tides and currents of the world -- to which all causes bow?

I do not deny. I do not know - but I do not believe. I believe that the natural is supreme - that from the infinite chain no link can be lost or broken — that there is no supernatural power that can answer prayer - no power that worship can persuade or change — no power that cares for man.

Is there a God?

I do not know.

Is man immortal?

I do not know.

One thing I do know, and that is, that neither hope, nor fear, belief, nor denial, can change the fact. It is as it is, and it will be as it must be.

We can be as honest as we are ignorant. If we are, when asked what is beyond the horizon of the known, we must say that we do not know. We can tell the truth, and we can enjoy the blessed freedom that the brave have won. We can destroy the monsters of superstition, the hissing snakes of ignorance and fear. We can drive from our minds the frightful things that tear and wound with beak and fang. We can civilize our fellow-men. We can fill our lives with generous deeds, with loving words, with art and song, and all the ecstasies of love. We can flood our years with sunshine — with the divine climate of kindness, and we can drain to the last drop the golden cup of joy.”
37 likes
“The real difference is this: the Christian says that he has knowledge; the Agnostic admits that he has none; and yet the Christian accuses the Agnostic of arrogance, and asks him how he has the impudence to admit the limitations of his mind. To the Agnostic every fact is a torch, and by this light, and this light only, he walks.

The Agnostic knows that the testimony of man is not sufficient to establish what is known as the miraculous. We would not believe to-day the testimony of millions to the effect that the dead had been raised. The church itself would be the first to attack such testimony. If we cannot believe those whom we know, why should we believe witnesses who have been dead thousands of years, and about whom we know nothing?

The Agnostic takes the ground that human experience is the basis of morality. Consequently, it is of no importance who wrote the gospels, or who vouched or vouches for the genuineness of the miracles. In his scheme of life these things are utterly unimportant. He is satisfied that “the miraculous” is the impossible. He knows that the witnesses were wholly incapable of examining the questions involved, that credulity had possession of their minds, that 'the miraculous' was expected, that it was their daily food.”
4 likes