Start by marking “Random” as Want to Read:
Random

Random (Tony Winter #1)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  309 ratings  ·  45 reviews

Glasgow is being terrorised by a serial killer the media have nicknamed The Cutter. The murders have left the police baffled. There seems to be neither rhyme nor reason behind the killings; no kind of pattern or motive; an entirely different method of murder each time, and nothing that connects the victims except for the fact that the little fingers of their right hands ha
Published March 1st 2010 by Simon & Schuster (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Random, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Random

Karen
One of the things that I really like about reading review books is that I constantly find absolutes in my reading tastes aren't. Ask me about serial killer books before reading RANDOM and I would have categorically stated been there, over it. Add being inside the serial killer's head for the entire of the book and I'd have put my hand on my heart and said it's all too tedious. Then I read RANDOM and found myself really hooked on the internal monologue of a serial killer.

Based in Glasgow, RANDOM,
Fitzykd
From the moment I started reading this book I could not put it down, My husband managed to persuade me to put it down long enought to have dinner (I continued to read as dinner was cooking). This is a very cleverly written book. You are pulled in to the mind of the killer very quickly and your are hard put not to feel some sympathy and understanding for him. There is a pretty clever twist towards the end. I liked the fact that you found out 'why' quite early on (if you didn't, I don't think it w ...more
Miss Page Turner

This novel is a whole thrilling insight into the obscure mind of a serial killer with no obvious acting pattern. The Cutter appears to be a dangerous psychopath, on the inside he is a smart and hurt man longing for revenge and destruction. Random involves a murderer plot which is interwoven with a kind of underworld plot. In my opinion the involved underworld plot slows the overall story down and blurs it unnecessarily.

The story is told from the murderer’s point of view that puts the reader into
Esoldra
Rowena Hoseason
This is a tightly-woven thriller which escapes the usual humdrum feeling of Brit crime lit. At first it appears to be a fairly standard 'serial killer does bad stuff' with some ingenious methods for his murders. But then the plot opens out and the killer becomes a rather more sympathetic character, as he gets unwillingly involved in the Glaswegian underworld.

Initially I was a little concerned about the 'hoots mon' aspects of the text; I have found some books which contain big chunks of local dia
Sandy
If you've read the blurb above you know the main plot of this book. A serial killer is loose in Glasgow & the frustration felt by the police is matched only by the public's fear as seemingly random victims are chosen for a gruesome demise.
But this is a book of surprises. First, the story is narrated by the killer. The reader is plunked down into his head so we are privy to his thoughts. Slowly we learn how personal tragedy transformed him from a happy family man to one who no longer feels jo
Sue Mcleod
Decent read but I started to progressively gloss over the serial killer angst as I worked through the novel. Not a whodunit ... and the whydunnit was shared fairly early (apparent from one crucial element). Felt like a first novel - interesting idea but executed in a self-conscious manner.
Elusive
'Random' by Craig Robertson deviates from most crime novels as it is penned using first-person narrative which tells the story from the perspective of the perpetrator. As the title itself implies, the plot revolves around murders which appear to be committed randomly by a serial killer. Some of the savage deaths are described in detail.

The motivation behind the killer's actions is revealed early on and although it is understandable, I found his rage to be somewhat misplaced especially towards (v
Nick Clarke
Fabulously written,straight into the action from page 1,you almost think to yourself that you cant wait for the next murder,its that compelling a story.Utter genious.
Tom Mills
Random is the debut novel of Craig Robertson, the latest in a long and distinguished line of 'Tartan Noir' writers. He once said that the Scottish "seem to be better at... reach[ing] the darker side of the human psyche... Many Scots also have a fondness for black humour that lends itself well to crime writing," and these crucial ingredients are certainly present in this excellent book.
Glasgow is being terrorised by a serial killer the media have nicknamed 'the Cutter'. His random attacks appear
Barbara
RANDOM
by Craig Robertson

In the city of Glasgow, a cold-blooded killer is picking off his victims. There appears to be no connection between the victims. The killer wants the police and the public to know that it is one man doing these seemingly random killings. He chops off the first victim's pinkie finger and sends it to the police department. That does not give him the attention he desires, so he sends the next pinkie to a newspaper reporter. Now he makes headlines.

Random is told entirely with
Miles
“Random” by Craig Robertson, a debut novelist from Scotland, isn’t your average crime thriller – a violence riddled journey told from the eyes of a serial killer; some will find it disturbing, some will find it thrilling but I for one found it just right - I couldn’t put the book down finishing this beguiling thriller in one day.

A fast paced story that really leaves nothing to the imagination – the violence is breath-taking and inspired at the same time. However Robertson never oversteps the mar
Jazz
Generally speaking I do tend to avoid books written from the viewpoint of the criminal, especially when it relates to cold-blooded murder. This is because I generally have no real desire to put myself in the shoes of the murderer or sympathise with them. It is the kind of moral dilemma I aim to avoid.

However, I am glad that I read Random by Craig Robertson. It was so well-written, so believable and ultimately, so tragic that I could not help but fall in love with it. And every so often forcing y
Best Crime Books
Craig Robertson has had a twenty year career with the Glasgow Post. He has not only interviewed three different Prime Ministers, he has also attended some major news stories such as 9/11, Dunblane and the disappearance of Madeleine McCann. This is his first novel and is entitled Random.

The cover of his book is pretty eye catching with its red cover and a picture of a figure in the shadows. The jacket information was even more interesting with a description of a Serial Killer operating in Glasgow
Shannie Joy
I read the entire book and just couldn't align myself with the main character in any way shape or form. I did not care about him or his circumstances. It was also written entirely through his eyes so some of the information he ends up knowing seems off as if he truly wouldn't know it even if he had his "guy on the inside". I don't believe I'll be picking up another Craig Robertson book.
Tim Swift
Looking for a new writer to try out, this was a promising first start. It fits into what I'd call the "casual weekend" read - you can get through a lot of it quickly without skimming; and it's complex enough to be enjoyable without being so deep that you can't cope with regular interuptions from the 2-year old granddaughter.

The writer's background as a journalist shows through and is used effectively, with the press playing an important and unexpected role in the story.

'Random' reflects the natu
Flora Wyllie
This book is different from the usual crime novel as it is written by the killer. It keeps your interest right up to the end which was not what I expected who reading the previous few pages.
Annette Smith
Liked the fact that the story was narrated bet the killer and the police played a very minor role, however the ending was a real disappointment! Would read more by this author.
Gabriela
An amazing book indeed. It was an interesting insight into a killer's mind and it nicely reflected the depths that there are to thought. To think that the entire book was said just from the killer's point of view and yet it encompassed the surrounding attitudes, the thoughts, the reactions of others so well... it's simply impressive.
I do agree with the other reviewers in that some of the murders were rather gruesome but that little bit of grotesque was needed to make the scenes so much more rea
Myrna
It had potential but at times got bogged down in the details. Nothing a better editor couldn't have fixed.
Madeleine.fowlerhotmail.com
An excellent novel. Gruesome and twist-filled but not so much do that the plot is lost.
I was worried that a novel written from the viewpoint of the killer would be a difficult read, however it worked really well. I also worried that I had guessed the twist early on and I was hoping that this would not be the case. I was not disappointed and the author managed to lay a few red herrings and seems to have perfected the art of misdirection throughout the book. Really enjoyable!
Ellie
A surprisingly easy read from a debut author. Told in first person narrative from the killer's point of view it was a refreshing change from the police investigations common to the crime genre. Some parts even manage to be amusing, especially to those of us that curse over Royal Mail's Thick Book Tax! The book is set in Glasgow and there is some slang but most of it is pretty common and if you can understand a Scot you should be OK.
Jo
A tale of a serial killer in Glasgow told from the POV of the serial killer. Okay, so that's nothing new and I read the book thinking that this so-called psychopath's psychology didn't fit with what all those profilers tell us in their true crime books. But then came the, ahem, killer twist at the end and that's why I'm giving this 4 stars. Well worth sticking with to the end if you're a fan of the genre.
Chris Ward
A gripping & on the edge your seat kind of book. I was not a good reader until i come across this and ended up going to bed with it and reading through the day almost every day! Exceptional!!
Sandra
'Really liked' is inaccurate. 'Really impressed with' would have been better, since it is somewhat perverted to like a book about such a man. However, Craig Roberton as a writer is impressive in his ability to manipulate the emotions and the sympathies of his reader while describe the horrific deeds done. Right to the very end.
Nathan
I read this as a few lads at work had read it and said they enjoyed it. The story was a interesting one as it gets into the head of someone who goes on a random killing spree. You find out as the book goes on why he has done what he has done and I could understand why he had done it. A little bit of a twist near the end
Wilde Sky
A serial killer starts to murder people, apparently at random, across Glasgow.

Not a bad story, but the basic plot felt like stale (as it had been done before) and logical twists to the plot (why not have all the victims guilty of the same crime but undetected?) were missed. I found the 'gangster' subplot a bit silly.
Catherine
I could not make it past chapter 9. For me it was too predictable of a crime book and I felt like there was no need to continue. Maybe if your a big fan of crime books you may like it more than me however do I love my murder books and this just didn't manage to engage me.
Jessababes Tolop
i really like how the killer tell his story, how he choose his victims randomly and how he brutally kill them.. the story is really great but somehow scary.. i'm not really a fan of crime or suspense novels but i just tried this one and it never failed me.. its a great story!
Elena
Muy original: el relato del "típico" asesino en serie, pero contado desde el punto de vista del asesino, no del policía. Entretenido y de ritmo rápido, lectura ideal para vacaciones o cuando quieres leer algo sin darle muchas vueltas al coco ;)
704 gossip/ who is the ..... in the class/ random questions or topics 3 12 Nov 16, 2011 06:14PM
  • Bitter Water (Douglas Brodie, #2)
  • First Frost (Detective Jack Frost Prequel, #1)
  • The Reaper
  • The Dead Tracks (David Raker, #2)
  • Where the Bodies Are Buried
  • Captured
  • Glasgow Kiss
  • Absolution (Anderson & Costello, #1)
  • Naming The Bones
  • The Disappeared (Jenny Cooper, #2)
  • Dead Men's Dust (Joe Hunter, #1)
  • American Devil. Oliver Stark
  • Close to the Bone (Logan McRae, #8)
  • Good As Dead (Tom Thorne, #10)
  • Broken Silence (Inspector Jack Brady, #1)
  • Paying For It (Gus Dury, #1)
  • Crimespotting: An Edinburgh Crime Collection
  • The Woman In Black (Jessica Daniel, #3)
During his 20-year career with a Scottish Sunday newspaper, Craig Robertson has interviewed three recent Prime Ministers; attended major stories including 9/11, Dunblane, the Omagh bombing and the disappearance of Madeleine McCann; been pilloried on breakfast television, beaten Oprah Winfrey to a major scoop, been among the first to interview Susan Boyle, spent time on Death Row in the USA and dis ...more
More about Craig Robertson...
Cold Grave Snapshot Witness The Dead The Last Refuge Write Now! The Prisoner of NaNoWriMo