The Pyramid of Souls (Magickeepers, #2)

The Pyramid of Souls (Magickeepers #2)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  201 ratings  ·  25 reviews
It was stolen from Alexander the Great. To keep it safe, Edgar Allen Poe bargained away his sanity. And somebody suckered P. T. Barnum to get their hands on it. It's the most closely guarded secret in the magician community. And it's missing.
What would you do to protect your family from an ancient pyramid capable of stealing your very soul?

Nick Rostov finally has the lif...more
Published May 1st 2010 by Sourcebooks (first published May 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Pyramid of Souls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pyramid of Souls

Gail Carriger
Review pertains to the uncorrected advanced copy in paperback. Much smaller than the first book this sophomore effort is more a novella than a full on book. I'm not complaining. I believe the novella is a very underrated word length, but I can't imagine that was what the publisher asked for. That said, on to the review...

Cousins Nick and Isabella are at it again, learning their craft as magickeepers while trying to prevent yet another crisis amongst the community. Damien, the family leader and h...more
Ryan
Very consistent with the first book - not entirely sure why I like it except that I like the magical ideas. Its sort of Harry Potter in Vegas - different approach to the magical world that lives alongside the non-magical world.
Haley Mathiot
Series Review:

I really enjoyed the Magickeeper series! It's written for ages 8-14, but even I got really into it and enjoyed it a lot.

The stories were both woven well, with plenty of mystery and suspense to keep you reading. Once I started to read, it was hard to put it down. I never knew what to expect and was always surprised. It was like walking through a fun-house: you never knew what was going to be around the corner.

My favorite characters had to be Nick and Isabella, followed closely by I...more
Kate
After reading the first novel in the series, I was excited and hesitant to begin the second. I went into the novel hoping that this time I would be able to have a better connection with the novel and its characters. And I am happy to say that I did connect more with The Pyramid of Souls than I had expected.

Nick is struggling. You name it and he is probably having a hard time with it. He cannot get his magic just right, he thinks he is disappointing his cousin, the magnificent Damien, and he is a...more
April
Magickeepers: The Pyramid of Souls is an incredibly unique, entertaining and addicting blend of history, magic and slight adolescent angst. When I discovered the release of this second in the Magickeepers series (The first is titled Magickeepers: The Eternal Hourglass) I was ecstatic. Yes, technically this is a Juvenile Fiction/Middle Grade level book, and I am far beyond that age range, however the way that the author, Erica Kirov, writes, she is able to easily engulf a vast audience of greatly...more
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
I hadn't read the first book in the series when I received The Pyramid of Souls, and was still able to get into the story. I think Erica did a great job by giving enough back story from what happened in the first book to follow Nick's journey in this great sequel.

Nick is still struggling with learning his Russian heritage. He's having a hard time with learning what his tutor Theo is teaching, and most importantly, he feels he's not living up to being a great Magician like his cousin Damian is t...more
Cindy Hudson
Nick is tired of living in the Las Vegas hotel/casino that acts as the cover for his magical family. All he gets to eat is Russian food, all he does is practice magic, and his older cousins keep access to the outside world at a minimum for him. So he’s excited to think of a whole convention of Magickeepers, the guardians of magic in the world, coming to his hotel. But then he discovers that Shadowkeepers plan to target the convention, and Nick and his cousin Isabella are in danger of having thei...more
Katieb (MundieMoms)

William Bentrim
Magickeepers: Pyramid of Souls by Erica Kirov

This is a captivating little book about a magical family. Nick Rostov’s place in the family and is ability to survive the families enemies provides the focus of the book. His new cousin, Isabella is his major sidekick.

The theft of the Pyramid of Souls is the quest in this story. There is magic, elephants, tigers, pyramids and more magic. The defining of the world’s magic users into good and evil provides the friction that moves the story. I enjoyed N...more
Angela
Book two doesn't disappoint! It seems that each entry in the series will center on a magical artifact. The Pyramid of Souls is very dangerous in the wrong hands and once again the cousins have to battle the evil sorcerer Rasputin and his daughter to save the artifact and the family (possibly the world!). These are quick inventive reads with lots of action and cool characters. There are family secrets hinted at in the first and second book but the biggest reveal (I can guess what it is) hasn't co...more
Jessica N.
www.2thepointbooks.blogspot.com

I was quite a bit disappointed in this book. For such a short book (less than 100 pages), you'd think that the action/plot would be roaring from the start, but alas, with "The Pyramid of Souls," it does not. In fact, it take half the book for any semblance of plot to kick in. And the problem/solution was exactly the same as in the first book. I hate cookie-cutter books, and this one was definitely one.
Will not be reading any more in the series.
Miss Clark
Alice T
Similar to the first book in the series, Pyramid of Souls was easy and fast to read. I would've liked a little more details about Maria, Miranda and the Pyramid of Souls and how it works. The story felt a little hurried or rather, not as much details were added. The history of the Pyramid of Souls and its keeper was interesting. Not as good as the first book but I liked it well enough. Looking forward to reading the next one in the series.
Amanda
Loved this just as much as the first; can't wait for more in the series! This one definitely flew by faster than the first book. Love how the author weaves history into the storyline.

***Update: January 2014: needed to re-read this so that I could be current for reading the 3rd book for the 1st time. Loved it just as much the 2nd time.
Jacob
Not quite as good as the first one. Even more than halfway through the book the story is still trying to explain some of what happened in the first book for those who didn't read it, and it feels like the real story doesn't start until the last quarter. Still, it's quite readable and I appreciate the reference to a local mystery, D. B. Cooper.
Erin Stuhlsatz
Book 2!

Again, Nick disobeys his smarter and more powerful uncles in order to run off and fight the bad guys on his own. Weirdly, he wins again. But the book was very fun, and there was an elderly elephant (think, Alexander the Great) who was my favorite character.
Cindy
This was better then the first book. Erica Kirov really grows as a writer with this novel. It was a bit less draggy and the characters acted a bit more mature. Still a novel for children but a lot more enjoyable then the first :)
Angela
Just as good as the first, though I wish they would have included two guest characters a little more. I enjoy the references back to historical figures it's fun.
Olivia M
It was good book. It truly thought it showed how much Nick cared for his family. Isabell shined in this book as well as giving some past about her.
Annalise
this was a great second book love this series!! It is full of action, fun, mysterious and I just loved it!! I cant wait till the next book!!
Sam
Intriguing tale that leaves you wanting more!
Makenna
This was alright, not anything extraordinary.
Debra Jeffers
Debra Jeffers marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Melani Kurniawan
Melani Kurniawan marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Kirsten
Kirsten marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Chris
Chris added it
Sep 02, 2014
  • Fortune's Magic Farm
  • The Timekeeper’s Moon
  • Middleworld (Jaguar Stones, #1)
  • The Relic Hunters (Grey Griffins: The Clockwork Chronicles, #2)
  • The Secret Society of the Pink Crystal Ball
  • The Fiend and the Forge (The Tapestry, #3)
  • Flight of the Fire Thief (Fire Thief Trilogy, #2)
  • The Magical Misadventures of Prunella Bogthistle
  • The Three Furies (Erec Rex, #4)
  • Children of the Knight
  • Theodosia and the Eyes of Horus (Theodosia Throckmorton, Book #3)
  • The Celestial Globe (The Kronos Chronicles, #2)
  • Karma Bites
  • Gringolandia
  • The Fires Beneath the Sea
  • Rivers of Fire (Atherton, #2)
  • The Dragon's Apprentice (The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, #5)
  • The Insider (Kingdom Keepers, #7)
Erica Kirov is a pseudonym of Erica Orloff.
More about Erica Kirov...
The Eternal Hourglass (Magickeepers, #1) The Chalice of Immortality (Magickeepers #3) Magickeepers: The Eternal Hourglass The Eternal Hourglass (Magickeepers, #1) Magickeepers: The Chalice of Immortality