Start by marking “Amelia Rules! Volume 5: The Tweenage Guide to Not Being Unpopular (Amelia Rules! #5)” as Want to Read:

Do you know there’s no true opposite to the word “catastrophe”?

Amelia McBride and company are about to embark on their most daunting mission yet: navigating the promises and pitfalls of popularity at Joe McCarthy Elementary. A tricky task when you consider an unmatched pair of socks alone can cause ridicule for years to come. Really, though, all the gang wants is not to b

Published April 6th 2010 by Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Amelia Rules! Volume 5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amelia Rules! Volume 5

Heather
Jan 29, 2014 Heather rated it really liked it
After reading "The Good Soldiers" and "Thank You for Your Service" back-to-back, I need a fun, easy palate cleanser. I picked this up at the last Scholastic Book Warehouse sale I went to. Pretty fun. One of the things I've been most pleased about as I've started poking around in more current kids' books is how many graphic novels there are for girls out there now. I never had a problem with superhero comics, but it's nice for girls who might like the genre but want to read about other things to ...more
Rachel
Dec 31, 2011 Rachel rated it liked it
This is actually the first Amelia Rules book that I've read. It hit me a third of the way through that Amelia's mom is my age, which makes sense since Amelia is in 5th grade, just like my oldest, so my mind-set changed a little, but I was able to "get back" into Amelia's head. :)

There was definitely some humor in it. A few parts made me laugh, but the rest was entertaining enough. My only issue is that some of the conclusions Amelia makes aren't well set-up, and some of the scenes have odd actio
Ms Threlkeld
I grabbed this off a shelf of graphic novels at the library, not realizing it was part of a series. I liked the style of illustration right off the bat and found the characters pretty authentic. The level of drama was a tad over the top, but, being a 6th grade teacher, I know that's how a lot of tween girls operate. Overall, this was a quick and fun read that should appeal to upper elementary and lower middle school aged girls, especially reluctant readers who may need something to hook them ...more
Raina
Jan 27, 2011 Raina rated it really liked it
Highlights here for me were the Archie homage and Rhonda's makeover.
Danielle
Oct 06, 2016 Danielle rated it it was amazing
This book would be a great book for student that a reluctant readers. I would say it's for grades 4th and 5th. It has a really good moral ending that I enjoyed. I think that it would be a useful and fun took to expand struggling readers vocabulary as well.
Clockstein Lockstein
Jan 18, 2011 Clockstein Lockstein rated it it was amazing
The Tweenage Guide to Not Being Unpopular by Jimmy Gownley is the fifth book in the Amelia Rules series. Amelia McBride has settled into her life in upstate New York after the divorce of her parents. She's going into a new year of school with her old friends, Rhonda, Reggie, Pajamaman, and Joan, who recently moved to the area. They've spent the last year dealing with their unpopularity, but Rhonda has discovered the eponymous guidebook that is supposed to help them achieve every tweenage and ...more
Dolly
Aug 09, 2014 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: middle grade readers
This is the fifth book in the Amelia Rules! series by Jimmy Gownley. We recently discovered this series and our girls just love it - they will argue over who gets to read the books first. They are really into reading graphic novels right now and we all love that it features a strong female main character who has other strong women in her life.

This book is different from the others in that it's one long story, broken up into parts (Amelia decides to begin in the middle of the story for fun.) The
Oct 13, 2012 Laura rated it liked it
Amelia Rules! Volume 5: The Tweenage Guide to Not Being Unpopular

1-Genre: Graphic Novel

2-This is a story of two friends Amelia and Rhonda. They both deal with the struggles of the popularity chain that each child struggles with. Amelia finally reaches her boiling point when her friend Rhonda is exposed to bullying day in and day out. So Rhonda decides that they need to follow the suggestions of the self-help book, "The Tweenage Guide to Not Being Unpopular". As the two follow the directions of t
Peacegal
Mar 23, 2011 Peacegal rated it really liked it
Amelia McBride is grade school’s answer to Daria. And like that sadly defunct cartoon series, Amelia’s adventures display clever wordplay and biting wit that will be appreciated by adults perhaps more than those the protagonist’s age.

I just loved all the little in-jokes scattered throughout this graphic novel. For example, look closely at Amelia’s school and you’ll see this sign:

Joe McCarthy Elementary. “Weeding out the wrong element since 1952”

My favorite recurring character was Jenny, a tat
Patrice Sartor
Closer to 3.5 than 4, but closer to 4 than 3, hence my rating.

It's been a while since I've read about any of Amelia's happenings, but the character is still entertaining and spunky. I think I've now read #1, 3, and 5 (this one), and it does not seem to matter if you skip any; the stories stand on their own.

This story is about the doom of being unpopular. Amelia and her friends explore why they are unpopular, what they could do to break free of that stigma, and what it means anyway. Some lessons
Danielle
Aug 25, 2016 Danielle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young comic fans
Since the format of the newer issues are a little different from the old ones (more of a focus on the overall story broken up into chapters, instead of consecutive smaller stories), I'll start doing more general reviews, instead of commenting on each story.

I don't remember if this came out a little ways into my childhood, or if these being the "newer" (issued by Simon & Schuster) made a few stylistic differences, but this definitely had a different feel than previous issues. I still enjoyed
Dylan
Apr 30, 2016 Dylan rated it it was amazing
After the emotional roller coaster of the last two volumes vol 5 was a breath of fresh air. Not that there is anything wrong with the emotional roller coaster in fact they were excellent, but this time around we look into the world of popularity and our focus shifts to Rhonda.

Rhonda is done with being unpopular so she tries to drag her friends into a bid to being popular trying different things which all end as expected. But along the way we learn more info about not only our main characters bu
Saviourofmusic
Feb 17, 2013 Saviourofmusic rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I started reading these when I was 13 and I still love them. They remind me of being a little kid again and are funny while have serious messages. Amelia is a great character: she's precocious and really a bit of a smart-Alec, but understanding and sensitive. Tanner is like a rockstar Yoda in a belly-showing shirt. Amelia's friends are unique and funny in every way. Her parents are kind and nurturing, without being totally perfect. These books charming and heartwarming, with beautiful artwork. ...more
Ashley
Jan 04, 2013 Ashley rated it it was amazing
Did you know there's no true opposite to the word "catastrophe"?

Amelia McBride and company are about to embark on their most daunting mission yet: navigating the promises and pitfalls of popularity at Joe McCarthy Elementary. A tricky task when you consider an unmatched pair of socks alone can cause ridicule for years to come. Really, though, all the gang wants it to not be unpopular. Rising and falling through the ranks of nerd,geek -and cheerleader?- Amelia and her friends encounter riotous mo
IndyPL Kids Book Blog
Mar 06, 2012 IndyPL Kids Book Blog rated it it was amazing
Amelia and Rhonda have decided that they aren’t and can’t be popular. What they really DON”T want to be is unpopular. They just want to be right there in the middle.

To accomplish their goal of not being unpopular they consult the book The Tweenage Guide to Not Being Unpopular…which offers all kinds of ridiculous popularity advice for them to try. They try out new hairstyles, new friends, and they even try out for cheerleading…with surprising results.

Funny, sincere and truthful as always - Amelia
Carolyn
May 22, 2016 Carolyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this series a ton (as evidenced by my previous reviews) so I can keep this pretty short. This wasn't my favorite volume from the series so far but I really and truly love the cast of characters. They all work so well and seem so genuine and real. Jimmy Gownley's art style is fun and bright and delightful to look at. Amelia Rules! was such a big part of my introduction to comics growing up and I'm so happy that it continues to make me smile as much as it did when I first gave these books a ...more
Abby Johnson
Oct 14, 2011 Abby Johnson rated it it was amazing
Whyyyyyyyyy did I wait so long to pick up one of the Amelia books?! This hilarious, full-color graphic novel reads like an episode of a Nickelodeon cartoon (and I mean that in a good way). Highly recommended for fans of Babymouse, Dear Dumb Diary, and Diary of a Wimpy Kid. My own complaint has nothing to do with the book, really, but the paperbacks I ordered for my library are printed on VERY thin paper that rips easily. I wish the book was sturdier because I will now be shoving them into the ...more
Pam
May 15, 2010 Pam rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s, j-s-shelf
This book spent the first week being read and reread at bed time, dinner time, and after school by the tweens in my house. Handled with humor and spot-on insight, Amanda and her friend set out to be popular. Filled with elementary-school characters all of us recognize, Gownley writes a wonderful graphic novel. Using a great hook, he starts in the middle of the story with Amanda and Rhonda experiencing their "worst day ever." The graphic novel is the perfect format and really helps those that are ...more
Bruce
Jun 05, 2014 Bruce rated it it was amazing
Rhonda Bleenie is reading the self-help title The Tweenage Guide to Not Being Unpopular, and she convinces Amelia and her other friends to use its methods to impress the rest of the students at Joe McCarthy Elementary School and improve their social standing, but after an initial success with a school report it all goes terribly wrong with results that are by turns catastrophic, enlightening, and hilarious.
Mike Aragona
Mar 23, 2011 Mike Aragona rated it really liked it
Shelves: all
No matter how much time passes between volumes, whenever a new one comes out it's always a time to celebrate![return][return]This latest book delves into the awkwardness of a young teen trying to find acceptance with her peers while realizing that the "weird" friends she has are still fun. Typical Amelia zaniness with its usual touching moments makes this another great book worthy of a hundred guffaws!
H
Aug 28, 2010 H rated it liked it
Graphic novels aren't my thing, but I do think girls and boys will enjoy this tween aimed graphic novel about the vagaries of popularity in the middle grades. My only quibble - why oh why did the author have to stick the word "crappy" into the book? I really don't want to have the argument with a parent when "lousy" "cruddy" "useless" etc. could have been just as good. It makes me feel like a bad librarian to not want to have that fight.....
Travis
Sep 07, 2012 Travis rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
If Charles Shultz had let The Peanuts kids get to middle school, they might have turned out to be the gang from this series.

A cartoony feel to the art and some goofy humor mix with a solid emotional core to tell the heartfelt, funny, sad and crazy story of being a kid in middle school and doing your best to survive the experience.

My daughter introduced me to this series and I quickly became as big a fan as she was.

Beth Nieman
Feb 23, 2011 Beth Nieman rated it liked it
Popularity is a topic most kids can relate to. The message here is that kids don't have to try to be something they're not. The main character, Amelia, grows from the beginning to the end of the story and makes a tough choice to put her girlfriend's needs before her own. I thought it was a neat artistic touch that when Amelia's aunt recalls an incident from her teen years, the artist draws in a style reminiscent of an Archie comic to highlight the flashback.
Elizabeth Padomek
Audience-3rd-8th grades, boys and girls
Appeal-The main character is a girl, but there are some close friends that are boys so I think boys who enjoy graphic novels that are "tweens" may enjoy this book, too. Younger students, such as 1st or 2nd graders, that have higher reading abilities could probably read this, but the content may not be as funny since it is geared toward the tween age group.
Great Graphic Novels for Kids List
Nick
Aug 25, 2010 Nick rated it really liked it
This series ought to be as popular as Diary of a Wimpy Kid. It brilliantly captures aspects of life for kids, especially girls, in ways that the better Judy Blume and Beverly Cleary books do, but in graphic novel form.
Gownley's wonderful parody of a self-help book is outstanding. The best parts, though, are the ways that the main characters think their ways into and out of trouble.
Duane
Jul 15, 2010 Duane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book for any reluctant reader who is trying to figure out how "popularity" works in school. Following the trials of Amelia and her elementery school age friends, you'll laugh and wince and they try to figure out how to get popular and if it's really worth it in the end. Great illustrations make this a must for any young reader who enjoys graphic novels.
Ann
Oct 22, 2010 Ann rated it really liked it
I have loved the Amelia Rules series since the first book came out, and was so happily surprised to see that this one has come out! It's been ages since a new Amelia Rules book came out!

Anyway, this one is just as good as all of the previous ones in the series. Rhonda's new hairdo will take some getting used to, however, but I think she's happy with it, so I can adjust.
Jeff Raymond
Again, not much more I can say about what's really an awesome kids graphic novel series. I know there was a bit of a layoff between volumes, but you'd never know it - the heart is still there, the references great (one chapter title actually namechecks Juliana Hatfield). A good read all around.
Alyssa (The Shady Glade)
I really enjoy the Amelia books, but this one just didn't have the charm of the previous ones. There's a lot more "growing up" type issues in this one, and although that fits with Amelia's character, it just isn't as fun for me. Still, it isn't enough to keep me from reading the next!
Brandy
Amelia McBride is, I think, the most realistic, believable character in comics. I absolutely love this series.

And I would not, for anything in the world, want to go back to being ten years old and struggling with fitting into my peer group.
  • Slog's Dad
  • Gordon Yamamoto and the King of the Geeks
  • Owly, Vol. 4:  A Time to Be Brave (Owly, #4)
  • Emma Jean Lazarus Fell in Love
  • The Boy Who Crashed to Earth (HiLo #1)
  • Monster Mash (Babymouse, #9)
  • Milo: Sticky Notes and Brain Freeze
  • Giants Beware! (Chronicles of Claudette #1)
  • Scary Godmother: Omnibus
  • Hera: The Goddess and Her Glory (Olympians, #3)
  • City of Spies
  • Cleopatra in Space, Book Two: The Thief and the Sword
  • Salt Water Taffy, vol. 1: The Legend of Old Salty
  • Courtney Crumrin in the Twilight Kingdom (Courtney Crumrin, #3)
  • Benjamin Bear in Fuzzy Thinking: TOON Level 2
  • The Lost Islands (Explorer, #2)
  • Stuck in the Middle: 17 Comics from an Unpleasant Age
  • The Secret Science Alliance and the Copycat Crook
Jimmy Gownley is the author and illustrator of the Amelia Rules! series of graphic novels, as well as the memoir The Dumbest Idea Ever!.

He has been nominated for 13 Eisner awards and 6 Harvey awards. His book Superheroes won the 2006 Cybil Award for best graphic novel for kids 12 and under.

He lives in Pennsylvania.
More about Jimmy Gownley...

Amelia Rules! (8 books)
  • Amelia Rules! Volume 1: The Whole World's Crazy (Amelia Rules! #1)
  • Amelia Rules! Volume 2: What Makes You Happy (Amelia Rules! #2)
  • Amelia Rules! Volume 3: Superheroes (Amelia Rules! #3)
  • Amelia Rules! Volume 4: When the Past is a Present (Amelia Rules! #4)
  • Amelia Rules! Volume 6: True Things Adults Don't Want Kids to Know (Amelia Rules! #6)
  • Amelia Rules! Volume 7: The Meaning of Life... and Other Stuff (Amelia Rules! #7)
  • Amelia Rules! Volume 8: Her Permanent Record (Amelia Rules! #8)