Start by marking “Heir of the Dog (Dog Walker Mystery #2)” as Want to Read:
Heir of the Dog (Dog Walker Mystery #2)

Heir of the Dog (Dog Walker Mysteries #2)

Professional dog walker Ellie Engleman is more than just a pal to her pooches[she can also read their minds. When Ellie and her terrier mix Rudy find the corpse of a troubled-but-harmless park-dwellerin Central Park, the dog walker becomes aprime suspect for murder.
When it turns out Rudy is the sole beneficiary of the victim's inheritance, Ellie, Rudy, and Detective Sam
Published October 6th 2009 by New American Library (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Heir of the Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heir of the Dog

Erin L
Mar 18, 2010 Erin L rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This book irritated me. Ellie made herself into the chief suspect and appeared to do it completely knowingly. I'm not sure what would possess someone with no criminal history to behave like she did, but it was ridiculous.

It's also a HUGE stretch that the police would act as they did. Huge. And I'm sorry, but anyone who thinks that a Yorkiepoo is adequate protection from a murderer is completely daft.

I do like Sam, Rudy and Viv though. They actually seem to have a clue, unlike Ellie.
Sara
Nov 22, 2009 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I only have one problem with the Dog Walker Mysteries....I have to wait too long for the next one! LOL!
Debra McEathron
Feb 03, 2017 Debra McEathron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a good mystery about a dog walker and how the befriend a homeless man in Central Park. They end up inheriting his wealth and helping to solve his murder.
Kami Hobson
She seems quite naive in this one and was starting to drive me crazy with her "independence" in the face of facing a probable murderer.
Lokki
May 01, 2015 Lokki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heir of the Dog is the second book in McCoy's Dog Walker Mystery series. Once again Ellie Engleman finds herself stumbling over a dead body. This time it is the body of a homeless man that she and her dog Rudy befriended. Of course being the one to discover the body of a murder victim is a sure fire way to get some police attention especially when it is discovered that the homeless guy has written a will leaving all his worldly possessions to your dog! All the usual suspects are back for this ad ...more
Krystle Kouture
How Did This Book Find Me?: Given to be as a birthday gift

What I enjoyed the most: What if you could read your pet's mind? That is exactly what the main character Ellie is able to do. Her canine companion Rudy is HILARIOUS. Also, Ellie is a unique warm-hearted independent woman. Its nice to see a female sleuth doing something besides being protected.

What I liked the least: The mystery was not that great. Also, I didn't care for either of her love interests. Also, it was a tad unrealistic. She ha
Lori Whitwam
The story itself was good, and Ellie's unique ability to communicate with her dog, Rudy, is charming... but as #2 in a series, it was a bit disappointing. There was essentially no character or relationship development. Usually when a character has a special quality or ability (vampire, psychic, magical powers) and it's a secret, those closest to him/her get let in on the secret one by one, or the ability grows or affects them in different ways. Not so here. The relationship, which seemed to be g ...more
Debbie
Dec 15, 2014 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this book had potential to be a lot better that it was. I loved the special gift that Ellie has to communicate with dogs, just wish it was developed more and a little more interesting. I felt that the book needed a little more explaining of the past we don't get much of a back story to Ellie and rudy, but all in all a charming book and relationship between Ellie and Rudy. I also think that this book could have used more suspense and mystery, you know who the killer is right from the star ...more
Myhotstylist
May 30, 2011 Myhotstylist rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
2nd in series, and just as good as the first, if not better. Judy McCoy has quickly become yet another favorite in my book with Ellie, Sam and Rudy.

We open this book in the first scene when Ellie and Rudy find her homeless friend, Gary dead in the park. Ellie quickly becomes the prime suspect, and even more so when she finds out that Gary has left her $800,000 in his will. Sam becomes more protective than ever as Ellie seeks out an assistant dog walker, and goes on a date with a creep.

This is
Amy Jarecki
Oct 09, 2011 Amy Jarecki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Judi McCoy's second in her cozy dog walker mysteries is definitely a cute story where Ellie and her dog Rudy stumble across a murder in Central Park. It turns out their homeless friend, Gary, was murdered and left them (well Rudy) a fortune...so why did a rich eccentric guy choose to live in a cardboard box in Central Park? And what kind of danger are Ellie and Rudy in once word gets out that Ellie is the executor? And what about hunky detective Ryder who ignored her after a one-night stand in b ...more
jiawei Ong
Apr 22, 2012 jiawei Ong rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book, because I saw a beautiful cover with cute dogs. I borrowed it from the library and read it. To my surprise, the story was better than the cover. This book was about Rudy, a dogwalker who got mixed in a murder. This murder involved her dog that has the victim's key to a safety-deposit box. I must admit that this was a truly creative mystery. It was amazing, and I liked it.
Christine
Feb 28, 2011 Christine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply fantastic as always! Im in love with the series! You can never guess what is going to happen and Ellie is so cute and one the only female characters i actually LIKE! And the relationship between Same and Ella is soo cute and I love how Same changes in the boo =) This books gets 5 stars because I laughed out loud so many time that people looked at me xD lol cant wait to get my hands on more!
Susie
Mar 06, 2011 Susie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, mysteries
Another light, fun read in the Dog Walker series. I was sad to see who the victim was, since he was such a nice character in the first book, but enjoyed the mystery of who dunnit. The romance with Sam goes more slowly and seems more realistic to the main character, Ellie's, speed. While I love the wise-cracking canine companion, Rudy, I'm starting to think that he's a real grump. He growls at everyone!
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
I enjoyed this book more than the first one. I think the characters are finding their personalities more set. I think this series has scenarios ahead that will only improve each book.

I like the dogs and I thought the Homeless situation was interesting and kept my attention.
Janet Windeguth
This is the second book in the series, and I was a little leery about it. But McCoy has really pulled the characters together and tightened up the plot. I think I’ll continue on and see where it goes—namely, does Ellie let Sam back into her romantic life?
Daniele
This was a quick, mindless read, but good for cozy lovers who also love dogs. Ellie annoys me a bit with her exaggerated naivete, and be warned that the characters are shallowly developed and the plot is transparent.
Jennifer Blackburn
This was a great second book to this series! I am starting to feel like part of the book. I like all the characters especially Rudy the lead dog in the book. I am especially enjoying the romance between Ellie and Sam Now onto the third book
GIZMO
Nov 01, 2012 GIZMO rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have mixed feelings about this series...I love that it's about a dogwalker and I love all the canine trivia included but does she have to be. such a ditz? hive her a bit strength and character to get another star
I couldn't resist, being a huge dog-lover (okay, all animals!). It was a cute read, and I accidentally started with #2 instead of the first, but very light reading. Not life-changing by any means, but a fun read during a commute
Amy
Mar 15, 2010 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-read, 2010
Still like this series, however, Ellie was particularly stupid in this one. The dialog is a bit over the top at times. Nobody REALLY speaks that way. But otherwise, still love Ellie and Rudy's relationship. I'll be reading the next one.
Shawnee
Feb 29, 2012 Shawnee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book much much better than the 1st book! So far book #3 is good too. :) Glad I kept reading!
Danielle Smiley
Jul 19, 2010 Danielle Smiley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just plainly a fun read. This is a light mystery and if you read it with that as your expectations, it's very enjoyable. Looking forward to reading the next in this series.
Janeene Timothy
Easy read-bought it to read on cruise-nothing else to read. Her conversations with the dogs get old as does her relationship with the police/detective.
Tara Choate
Again, I liked it, but was disappointed a little with the character/romance development. I would have liked to see a more solid path.
Sandra Hernandez
Oct 08, 2013 Sandra Hernandez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
still a great series even though at some points I was not impressed I was like really, why is she not curious or cautious on this person and that person but in the end it all made sense
Jen
Oct 06, 2009 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just love this series! Fun, entertaining and a quick, easy read! Can't wait for June when the next one is available!
Kayla Blanchard
Jul 05, 2015 Kayla Blanchard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved reading about Rudy and Ellie's adventures! This book is hilarious and mysterious! I can't wait to read the rest of them!
Libby
(E-Lib) Cute, but why are all of the ladies in these cozy mysteries so stubborn about accepting help from others.
Karin
Jul 28, 2010 Karin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-by-me, series
Sometimes I wish I could talk to my dogs (sometimes I'm glad I can't!). This one was as cute as the first but I'm a dog person so I may be biased.
Amanda
As much as I loved the progress that Ellie and Sam made in this novel the rest of the novel fell a little flat for me.
  • Gaits of Heaven (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #17)
  • Howl Deadly (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery, #8)
  • Glossed and Found (A Bath and Body Mystery, #3)
  • Bad Bird
  • Preaching to the Corpse (Advice Column Mystery, #2)
  • Rotten to the Core (Orchard, #2)
  • Guise & Dolls (Gretchen Birch, #4)
  • Daughter of Deceit (Family Tree, #3)
  • Sink Trap (A Georgiana Neverall Mystery #1)
  • Driven to Ink (Tattoo Shop Mystery, #3)
  • Love is Murder (Daytime Mystery, #1)
  • Elvis and the Grateful Dead (A Southern Cousins Mystery, #2)
  • Death Takes the Cake (A Della Cooks Mystery #2)
  • Raining Cat Sitters and Dogs (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #5)
  • Delicious and Suspicious (A Memphis BBQ Mystery #1)
  • A Rose from the Dead (A Flower Shop Mysteries, #6)
  • How to Crash a Killer Bash (Party Planning, #2)
Passed away February 18, 2012
More about Judi McCoy...

Dog Walker Mysteries (6 books)
  • Hounding the Pavement (Dog Walker Mysteries, #1)
  • Death in Show (Dog Walker Mysteries, #3)
  • Begging for Trouble (Dog Walker Mysteries, #4)
  • Till Death Do Us Bark (Dog Walker Mysteries, #5)
  • Fashion Faux Paw (Dog Walker Mysteries, #6)