Start by marking “Introducing Lacan (Introducing)” as Want to Read:
Introducing Lacan (Introducing)

Introducing Lacan (Introducing Series)

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  266 ratings  ·  25 reviews
For anyone intrigued by Lacan's ideas butdiscouraged by the apparent arcane quality of his writings, the lucid text and graphic illlustrations together provide the ideal introduction.
Paperback, New Edition, 176 pages
Published September 1st 2005 by Icon Books Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Introducing Lacan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Introducing Lacan

Tim Pendry
The classic short graphic guide to Lacan is written by Darian Leader who is generally worth reading in his own right. However, the graphic format should not be confused with simplicity - this is a difficult liitle book because Lacan is very difficult. You may need to read it more than once to 'get' it.

Lacan is worth the effort but perhaps with a critical eye towards the Freudian framework within which he was writing. Perhaps he might best be thought of as someone struggling to find the language
Jigar Brahmbhatt
Trippy! First book of 2015. Hope to make this year filled with much more informative books about psychology/culture/history.
Islam
السلسلة فى أغلبها عقيمة، تفتقر إلى التدقيق فى المصطلحات، كما أن ترجمتها سيئة رغم تخصص المترجمين، لم يعجبنى غير كتابين أو ثلاثة، كافكا..فالتر بنيامين..والترجمة العربية وليست المصرية من فوكو رغم الخلل أحيانا فى الترجمة

وختاما...الفكرة فى أصلها فاشلة ولا تؤدى غرضها فى التقريب
بس ساعات بيبقى فى صور"كولاج" حلوة
Oliver Ho
This has probably been the most straightforward introduction to Lacan that I've read so far (I've only read a couple). The Lacan book by Zizek that I read recently was very good, but it seemed to be closer to being a book about Zizek. This one helped clarify a few things, even if that means they (and much more) are still shrouded in mystery, only possibly a little less so. I suspect I'll return to this book several times. There were parts that seemed understandable, mingled with plenty more that ...more
Rob
still do not understand.
Anna
My rationale for reading 'Introducing Lacan' was that I aspire one day to finish a book by Slavoj Žižek. Žižek is a contemporary left-wing political philosopher who shares my fascination with Robespierre, so of course I want to read his books. Unfortunately, my attempts thus far have been stymied by Žižek's copious use of Lacanian terms (and other philosophical/psychological language that I don't understand). A quick internet search is insufficient to provide clarity, especially as I've never st ...more
Nurit
Without reading more Lacan it's impossible to say if it's Lacan's obscurity at fault here or Leader's. Regardless, it merited a more thorough explanation of the concepts of Real, Symbolic and Imaginary, as well as the Thing.
Graham
This maybe be largely due to the difficulty of Lacan's ideas, but I really didn't find this particularly helpful in trying to understand Lacanian concepts.

Starts off explaining concepts such as the mirror phase well, but very quickly reduces its attempts to explain essential Lacanian concepts to disjointed rambling that never really attempts to lay out his ideas with any clarity, or provide any overview of an idea before or after it is explored.

This book severely lacks the relative precision and
Icon Books

'Excellent clarity' - New Scientist 'A splendid job' - New Statesman

Jacques Lacan is now regarded as a major psychoanalytical theorist alongside Freud and Jung, although recognition has been delayed by fierce arguments over his ideas. Written by a leading Lacanian analyst, "Introducing Lacan" guides the reader through his innovations, including his work on paranoia, his addition of structural linguistics to Freudianism and his ideas on the infant 'mirror phase'. It also traces Lacan's influence
Jason
I found this book to be an enjoyable introduction to Jacques Lacan. In appreciating the complexity of Lacan's work, this illustrated text made for an engaging read.
Vikas Datta
A lucid guide to one of Freud's most influential disciples - and his pathbreaking work on delusion and paranoia, and other mysteries and complexities of the human condition...
Chuckie
A good, quick introduction to Lacan, but I wish there were footnotes identifying where I can read the original Lacan material
Chris Schaeffer
If you're going to read this kind of thing about anybody it might as well be Lacan. I thought it would help with his topologies. I guess it sort of did. Those aren't two stars of malice or contempt. It's a fine book if you just want to learn a little about Lacan. It just didn't really help me with what I had hoped it would.
Ruby
May 23, 2009 Ruby rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
This book literally got me through grad school. After days and days of reading sentences of Lacan over and over in the hopes of understanding something, anything- even if it was wrong- this book came and created light out of darkness! Highly recommended to anyone studying Lacan!
Savas
This is one of the best introductions to Lacan. Strangely enough, although I personally don't like such books which introduces a thinker by drawings, this one is a perfect one, probably because the writer, Leader is a very knowledgeable and important analysts.
Alastair Kemp
First book I've read in a day for a while, not something that would happen with Ecrits. Seems like a good basis for further reading, but as one can surmise this is all I've read on Lacan so far so am unable to comment on its accuracy as to Lacan's work
Alexander
Even though this should seem like a pretty easy book, it is a very hard read. It gets really deep into the thoughts of Lacan, which are not very clear, and tries to simplify them, but still ends up being confusing and pretty hard.
Ryan
I found it overall lacking the clarity of others in the Introducing series, but this may be more to do with the original clarity (or lack thereof) of Lacan's thinking.
Carmen
I read this at the same time as "Lacan for Beginners" and if one comic book isn't enough for you, then a second one can't be beat.
Timon
Great introduction, but lacks clarifications on where Lacan's constructions originate from.
Dani Schechtel
Después de leer a este tipo la realidad deja de ser lo que era; es un camino de ida, realmente.
Egor Sofronov
Useful. In the form of condensed comics instead of formulas and literary allusions
Curt Bozif
Oct 10, 2007 Curt Bozif rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Babies
Shelves: psychoanalysis
Just a fun quick read that's not without value to anyone serious about Lacan.
Public_enemy
Oct 21, 2012 Public_enemy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Public_enemy by: a friend
Shelves: psychology
Very complicated book but yet pretty good introduction to Lacan.
Isaac Patterson
Isaac Patterson marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
  • Introducing Foucault
  • Introducing Jung
  • Introducing Derrida
  • Introducing Cultural Studies
  • Introducing Hegel (Introducing)
  • Introducing Machiavelli (Introducing...(Totem))
  • Introducing Wittgenstein
  • Introducing Sartre (Introducing)
  • Introducing Nietzsche (Introducing...)
  • Introducing Semiotics
  • Introducing Buddha (Introducing)
  • Freud for Beginners
  • Introducing Modernism
  • Psychology: A Graphic Guide to Your Mind & Behaviour (Introducing...)
  • Introducing Ethics
  • Introducing Kant (Introducing)
  • Introducing Joyce
  • Introducing Chomsky
Darian Leader is a British psychoanalyst and author. He is a founding member of the Centre for Freudian Analysis and Research (CFAR).

Darian Leader is President of the College of Psychoanalysts, a Trustee of the Freud Museum, and Honorary Visiting Professor in Psychoanalysis at Roehampton University.

From Wikipedia:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darian_L...
More about Darian Leader...

Introducing Series (1 - 10 of 121 books)
  • Introducing Aesthetics
  • Introducing Anthropology (Introducing)
  • Introducing Aristotle
  • Introducing Barthes: A Graphic Guide
  • Introducing Baudrillard (Introducing)
  • Introducing Buddha (Introducing)
  • Introducing Capitalism: A Graphic Guide
  • Chaos for Beginners
  • Introducing Consciousness (Introducing... S.)
  • Introducing Critical Theory
The New Black: Mourning, Melancholia and Depression What Is Madness? Strictly Bipolar Stealing the Mona Lisa: What Art Stops Us from Seeing Why Do Women Write More Letters Than They Post?