Start by marking “Introducing Lacan (Introducing)” as Want to Read:
Introducing Lacan (Introducing)

Introducing Lacan (Introducing)

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  332 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
This series is renowned for its ingenious combination of graphic illustration and intelligent, precise text by leading academics on some of the most challenging subjects around. This text on Lacan is one of a number of titles that is being relaunched with an updated cover.
Paperback, New Edition, 176 pages
Published September 1st 2005 by Icon Books Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Introducing Lacan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Introducing Lacan

Tim Pendry
The classic short graphic guide to Lacan is written by Darian Leader who is generally worth reading in his own right. However, the graphic format should not be confused with simplicity - this is a difficult liitle book because Lacan is very difficult. You may need to read it more than once to 'get' it.

Lacan is worth the effort but perhaps with a critical eye towards the Freudian framework within which he was writing. Perhaps he might best be thought of as someone struggling to find the language
Graham
Jun 28, 2013 Graham rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This maybe be largely due to the difficulty of Lacan's ideas, but I really didn't find this particularly helpful in trying to understand Lacanian concepts.

Starts off explaining concepts such as the mirror phase well, but very quickly reduces its attempts to explain essential Lacanian concepts to disjointed rambling that never really attempts to lay out his ideas with any clarity, or provide any overview of an idea before or after it is explored.

This book severely lacks the relative precision and
Jigar Brahmbhatt
Jan 08, 2015 Jigar Brahmbhatt rated it really liked it
Trippy! First book of 2015. Hope to make this year filled with much more informative books about psychology/culture/history.
Islam
السلسلة فى أغلبها عقيمة، تفتقر إلى التدقيق فى المصطلحات، كما أن ترجمتها سيئة رغم تخصص المترجمين، لم يعجبنى غير كتابين أو ثلاثة، كافكا..فالتر بنيامين..والترجمة العربية وليست المصرية من فوكو رغم الخلل أحيانا فى الترجمة

وختاما...الفكرة فى أصلها فاشلة ولا تؤدى غرضها فى التقريب
بس ساعات بيبقى فى صور"كولاج" حلوة
Oliver Ho
Aug 19, 2014 Oliver Ho rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This has probably been the most straightforward introduction to Lacan that I've read so far (I've only read a couple). The Lacan book by Zizek that I read recently was very good, but it seemed to be closer to being a book about Zizek. This one helped clarify a few things, even if that means they (and much more) are still shrouded in mystery, only possibly a little less so. I suspect I'll return to this book several times. There were parts that seemed understandable, mingled with plenty more that ...more
Rob
Dec 15, 2007 Rob rated it liked it
still do not understand.
Anna
Jul 09, 2013 Anna rated it really liked it
My rationale for reading 'Introducing Lacan' was that I aspire one day to finish a book by Slavoj Žižek. Žižek is a contemporary left-wing political philosopher who shares my fascination with Robespierre, so of course I want to read his books. Unfortunately, my attempts thus far have been stymied by Žižek's copious use of Lacanian terms (and other philosophical/psychological language that I don't understand). A quick internet search is insufficient to provide clarity, especially as I've never st ...more
Leonardo
Sep 25, 2015 Leonardo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Está bastante bien, un buen resumen de conceptos que tenés que tener en mente antes de ponerte a leer a algún lacaniano:
- objeto a
- Sinthome
Dec
Jun 04, 2016 Dec rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psych
Cannot recommend this book highly enough. THE perfect place to begin reading Lacan. DO NOT however be swayed by the comic-book layout, this is a complex read and you will gain nothing from plowing through it at speed. Take your time to ponder and digest the concepts, make frequent notes and I PROMISE you, you will be a Lacan obsessive by the end of it!
Joel
Feb 16, 2016 Joel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've enjoyed other entries in the Introducing... series and gotten a lot out of them, but this one did little to get me entirely across Lacan's concepts. This, I'm sure, is on account of the complexity and abstract nature of Lacan's work. Presently my only other exposure to him has been through the films and lectures of Žižek. Time to dig deeper.
Nurit
Feb 22, 2015 Nurit rated it liked it
Without reading more Lacan it's impossible to say if it's Lacan's obscurity at fault here or Leader's. Regardless, it merited a more thorough explanation of the concepts of Real, Symbolic and Imaginary, as well as the Thing.
Icon Books
Nov 17, 2011 Icon Books rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy

'Excellent clarity' - New Scientist 'A splendid job' - New Statesman

Jacques Lacan is now regarded as a major psychoanalytical theorist alongside Freud and Jung, although recognition has been delayed by fierce arguments over his ideas. Written by a leading Lacanian analyst, "Introducing Lacan" guides the reader through his innovations, including his work on paranoia, his addition of structural linguistics to Freudianism and his ideas on the infant 'mirror phase'. It also traces Lacan's influence
Faran
Dec 05, 2015 Faran added it
It was the first book of this series that I picked and though it was quite fun to see Lacan's main concept graphically, it is nothing more than that: a fun read. The illustrator did a good job.
Adriana Scarpin
Me parece que a teoria lacaniana é demasiado complexa para tudo que este livro quer abarcar, pois ele vai além do mero introducing e aborda temas que só quem se aprofundou na teoria tem acesso total de entendimento.
Jason
Mar 01, 2014 Jason rated it really liked it
I found this book to be an enjoyable introduction to Jacques Lacan. In appreciating the complexity of Lacan's work, this illustrated text made for an engaging read.
Vikas Datta
Aug 23, 2014 Vikas Datta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lucid guide to one of Freud's most influential disciples - and his pathbreaking work on delusion and paranoia, and other mysteries and complexities of the human condition...
Chuckie Palmer-Patel
Apr 20, 2014 Chuckie Palmer-Patel rated it really liked it
A good, quick introduction to Lacan, but I wish there were footnotes identifying where I can read the original Lacan material
Husam
Jun 07, 2015 Husam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
ما بعد الحداثة
Chris Schaeffer
Jan 04, 2011 Chris Schaeffer rated it it was ok
If you're going to read this kind of thing about anybody it might as well be Lacan. I thought it would help with his topologies. I guess it sort of did. Those aren't two stars of malice or contempt. It's a fine book if you just want to learn a little about Lacan. It just didn't really help me with what I had hoped it would.
Ruby
May 23, 2009 Ruby rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
This book literally got me through grad school. After days and days of reading sentences of Lacan over and over in the hopes of understanding something, anything- even if it was wrong- this book came and created light out of darkness! Highly recommended to anyone studying Lacan!
Savas
Jan 22, 2015 Savas rated it really liked it
This is one of the best introductions to Lacan. Strangely enough, although I personally don't like such books which introduces a thinker by drawings, this one is a perfect one, probably because the writer, Leader is a very knowledgeable and important analysts.
Alastair Kemp
First book I've read in a day for a while, not something that would happen with Ecrits. Seems like a good basis for further reading, but as one can surmise this is all I've read on Lacan so far so am unable to comment on its accuracy as to Lacan's work
Alexander
Aug 29, 2008 Alexander rated it really liked it
Shelves: college
Even though this should seem like a pretty easy book, it is a very hard read. It gets really deep into the thoughts of Lacan, which are not very clear, and tries to simplify them, but still ends up being confusing and pretty hard.
Ryan
Jan 08, 2010 Ryan rated it liked it
I found it overall lacking the clarity of others in the Introducing series, but this may be more to do with the original clarity (or lack thereof) of Lacan's thinking.
Carmen
Jul 04, 2008 Carmen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this at the same time as "Lacan for Beginners" and if one comic book isn't enough for you, then a second one can't be beat.
Timon
Oct 28, 2013 Timon rated it liked it
Great introduction, but lacks clarifications on where Lacan's constructions originate from.
Dani Schechtel
Jun 07, 2013 Dani Schechtel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Después de leer a este tipo la realidad deja de ser lo que era; es un camino de ida, realmente.
Egor Sofronov
Jan 15, 2013 Egor Sofronov rated it liked it
Useful. In the form of condensed comics instead of formulas and literary allusions
Curt Bozif
Oct 10, 2007 Curt Bozif rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Babies
Shelves: psychoanalysis
Just a fun quick read that's not without value to anyone serious about Lacan.
Public_enemy
Oct 21, 2012 Public_enemy rated it really liked it
Recommended to Public_enemy by: a friend
Shelves: psychology
Very complicated book but yet pretty good introduction to Lacan.
  • Introducing Foucault
  • Introducing Derrida
  • Introducing Cultural Studies
  • Introducing Hegel (Introducing)
  • Introducing Machiavelli (Introducing...(Totem))
  • Introducing Jung
  • Introducing Sartre (Introducing)
  • Introducing Wittgenstein
  • Introducing Critical Theory
  • Introducing Nietzsche (Introducing...)
  • Introducing Psychoanalysis: A Graphic Guide
  • Introducing Modernism
  • Freud for Beginners
  • Introducing Buddha (Introducing)
  • Introducing Semiotics
  • Introducing Ethics
  • Introducing Joyce
  • Psychology: A Graphic Guide to Your Mind & Behaviour
Darian Leader is a British psychoanalyst and author. He is a founding member of the Centre for Freudian Analysis and Research (CFAR).

Darian Leader is President of the College of Psychoanalysts, a Trustee of the Freud Museum, and Honorary Visiting Professor in Psychoanalysis at Roehampton University.

From Wikipedia:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darian_L...
More about Darian Leader...