Start by marking “Treasure in Clay: The Autobiography of Fulton J. Sheen” as Want to Read:
Treasure in Clay: The Autobiography of Fulton J. Sheen

Treasure in Clay: The Autobiography of Fulton J. Sheen

Treasure in Clay provides a lifetime’s worth of wisdom from one of the most beloved and influential figures in twentieth-century Catholicism.

Completed shortly before his death in 1979, Treasure in Clay is the autobiography of Fulton J. Sheen, the preeminent teacher, preacher, and pastor of American Catholicism.

Called “the Great Communicator” by Billy Graham and “a prophet

Published August 31st 2000 by Ignatius Press (first published February 5th 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Treasure in Clay, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Treasure in Clay

Eric
Mar 04, 2015 Eric rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Second last chapter was very non-sequitor. His life and writing style is very interesting and rewarding. His chapter after missions was quite difficult to read.

The final chapter was amazing and really resonated with my own suffering and trials.

God love you, Fulton Sheen.
Emmanuel Iddio
Jan 12, 2017 Emmanuel Iddio rated it it was amazing
This biography of the Venerable Archbishop Fulton Sheen could well have been the best book I read last year. It tells the story of a great preacher, an accomplished author, a religious TV pioneer, a very human man with a supernatural outlook.

His devotion to Our Lady was one one that struck a chord within my soul; as he told the tale of his visit to Lourdes with limited funds. His zeal for the redemption of souls was quite exemplary and yet to the question "How many converts have you made in you
Jason Townsend
Jan 02, 2017 Jason Townsend rated it it was amazing
I've been an admirer of Bishop Sheen since being introduced to him in the writings of Thomas Merton and others.

I thoroughly enjoyed "Life Of Christ" though for some reason I didn't expect as much from this autobiography. I'm happy to be wrong though as the book was great.

The portrait Sheen paints of his life both celebrates conservative values, and is faith affirming. I've always admired those who go all out and I'm convinced Sheen was such a person, though I figure he'd disagree.

Even though
Jo-Ann Murphy
Jan 03, 2016 Jo-Ann Murphy rated it did not like it
If not for the final biographical chapter in the book, I would know very little about Fulton Sheen from his autobiography. Many autobiographies are too detailed whereas this one has very few details. Most of the details are in the first chapters. After he is ordained the book lapses into preaching.

This is less an autobiography than Bishop Sheen preaching his theology. I am a Catholic and found this very hard to take.

His goal in life seemed to be converting others to his way of thought rather tha
Brian Reagan
Jul 28, 2011 Brian Reagan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fulton Sheen really was a "prophet for modern times." I would suggest that the voice which echoes on these pages, over 30 years since his passing, is just as relevant and timely now as when he lived and wrote.

Who can benefit from this text? While on the one hand my answer is everybody, ultimately it is of greatest value to those who seek to serve Christ in the "professional" roles of ministry and church work. One cannot claim to be the minister of Christ and fail to appreciate the depth of a per
Gil Michelini
This is one of those books I can add to the list as life changing.

If the book were only his story, it would be good because he did live an amazing life. What makes it great for me is the teachings he offers. I am more on-fire for the Catholic-Christian life because of the truths he explains within these pages.

We learn in the forward that he dictated the last chapter as he was literally laying on his death bed. He goes through a list of all his faults in that chapter--where he felt he was not th
Lauren
Feb 02, 2010 Lauren rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, religious, own, 2010
I loved this book. It made me laugh out loud. It made me cry. At the very end is the eulogy that was said at Bishop Sheen's funeral Mass. That made me cry more. It was like saying goodbye to an old friend. He has influenced me since I first picked up Three To Get Married, Life of Christ, The World's First Love, Life is Worth Living and I'm sure that he'll continue to influence me when I pick up another book that he wrote. I cannot express how much I love this man. He was truly a child of God and ...more
Curmudgeon66
Jul 19, 2010 Curmudgeon66 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any and All
If, like me, you are old enough to remember him from TV, this will give some background. Bishop Sheen was always both funny and informative on TV. His book is like reading bits and pieces of his TV show.

Occasionally he says something just precious. For example, when he talks about teachers re-using their lecture notes from one year to the next, a practice of which he clearly disapproves, he says:

"Teaching often becomes a communication from the notebook of the teacher to the notebook of the stud
Joyce
Mar 05, 2014 Joyce rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-re-read
Wow. This is a book I will definitely read again. Sheen wrote with as much as eloquence and conviction as that with which he spoke.

His faith, intelligence, hope, and, above all, humility really shine through the words on the pages.

It might sound odd, but it makes perfect sense to those who see by faith: Sheen's autobiography is less about Sheen and more about Jesus.

There were many moving passages. For example: his self-identification with S. Peter and Jesus' "second look" to the prince of the
Tim Byron
Jan 03, 2012 Tim Byron rated it really liked it
Shelves: religious
Intriguing book. I read this during a silent retreat. His style is relentless and high octane - which can make it quite tiring. His clever turns of phrase are seductive but perhaps at times superficial. There were many reasons not to like this - but inspite of all my resistances I couldnt help but being edified and inspired by the end. An intriguing chapter on celibacy - almost as though he switches between first person and third person - reading between the lines there is a confessional aspect ...more
Don Weidinger
Feb 02, 2013 Don Weidinger rated it it was amazing
Sanctity endures not sensationalism, Shakespeare reference, chastity of youth, mediocrity in classroom not football, tenure for football vs teachers, learn lecture inside out, secular seek religious and religious seek secular, looking for challenge to culture, more divine more interest, martin sheen, FDR lies and pro Spain communists, foresaw easten europe communists, poems by Francis Thompson and Kennedy, bible barkley and pink st john and muggeridge, communism liberalism appeal to those w/o re ...more
Rita
Aug 24, 2012 Rita rated it liked it
While in grade school we had to listen to Bishop Sheen every Tuesday evening and report what he talked about in school the next day. He was on prime time television and even though he was opposite the beloved Milton Burl he consistanty won the audience in that time slot. Now this good man is on his way to canonization. I thought it a good idea to read about him and follow him through the process. This book is his autobiogreaphy and was finished shortly before his death. It gave the facts about h ...more
Fr. Ryan Humphries
Jun 21, 2012 Fr. Ryan Humphries rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All Catholics, especially those working in New Media
What do I even say about this book. It's wonderful, as almost everything Sheen ever wrote is. Sheen often comes across as arrogant or amazed with himself but it feels like the same sort of vibe you sometimes get from St. Paul. I think that both St. Paul and Sheen are just amazed at what God is doing with them and that amazement sometimes comes across as pompousness. Even so, the book is a trove of great anecdotes, tidbits of spiritual wisdom and the story of the life of one of the greatest Ameri ...more
Robyn
Jul 03, 2016 Robyn rated it it was amazing
My review will be short and simple.. Some may have seen the Archbishop as a tad too confident maybe even a little pompous but after reading his autobiography I have come to learn that not only was the Archbishop a very well learned man he was also a very holy and humble man.

I suggest this book to everyone. It's an excellent and easy to understand read...

Bye now, Archbishop and God love you forever...
Ben Valentine
May 04, 2015 Ben Valentine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faith
Best book I have ever read at this point. Bishop Sheen writes beautifully, teaches masterfully, and had an unbelievable story to tell. His personal virtue and love for souls and for Christ has changed the way I live my life. He is someone I look up to and feel so personally challenged by. His humility, work ethic, and zeal for souls makes me want to go out and do what he did in service to others - a breathtaking life from a beautiful soul.
Greg
May 18, 2011 Greg rated it really liked it
Inspirational autobiography of a man who gave himself to God and the Church. A leading figure in the communications revolution who brought humor to faith and worried about his fellow humans.
This is not the type of tell-all story we've come to expect these days since Sheen lived a life that avoided throwing stones at others.
The personal anecdotes make this a good read.
Joseph Sherman
Jun 15, 2016 Joseph Sherman rated it it was amazing
I won't say it's a must read...it's too less for something like this!
A profound reflection on the life of man who uses only Jesus as the scale on which to compare his life!
A prolific writer, with his amazing writing style, gives you an insight into what it means to spend a life in Christ!

If u missed the first twelve apostles....read Fulton sheen!
Patrick Costello
May 10, 2014 Patrick Costello rated it it was amazing
Venerable Fulton Sheen's entertaining, insightful, humorous, and honest autobiography is a delight to read and beneficial for the soul. I especially appreciated the final chapters on converts, suffering, and his "three phases of life". I highly recommend for devotees to Sheen and those just getting to know him.
Kathryn
Summary: The autobiography of Fulton Sheen.

Why I Read This: I had read portions of it before and I wanted to read the rest.

Review: This book was fine. Honestly, that's all I really have to say. It's not a bad read, just fine.
Laura P.
Jan 30, 2015 Laura P. rated it it was amazing
In his last work, Fulton Sheen gives us a deep understanding of his life while also conveying important spiritual truths. This book gives you a deeper glimpse into the soul of one of the spiritual fathers of our time. Well work the read!
Regan Leigh
Oct 29, 2014 Regan Leigh rated it really liked it
While an autobiography, Sheen has conveyed the power of Christ through tales and reflections on his life and career. I hope to see him canonized in my lifetime- a genius orator and scholar, his work never ceases to enlighten and amaze me.
Joseph Hanneman
Apr 22, 2012 Joseph Hanneman rated it it was amazing
Sheen's autobiography, finished just before he died, is a great read. Written in a conversational style, it adds personal details not found in most works about him. Anyone interested in the great late archbishop will find this book very enjoyable.
Kristin
Sep 05, 2009 Kristin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: essentialreading
An absolutely wonderful book! A delight to read and a beautiful portrait of a blessed and beloved soul. God Bless Fulton Sheen!!!
Thadeus
Nov 04, 2008 Thadeus rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography, own
The chapter on teaching was great! Applicable to anyone who is an instructor.

Truly insightful look at the life of a servant of God and person who spread the Gospel.
Rusty Tisdale
May 15, 2013 Rusty Tisdale rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faith
This is a book I immediately wanted to share with others. It's not just an autobiography. It is a beautiful teaching on the Christian life.
Shawn Reidy
Feb 19, 2013 Shawn Reidy rated it really liked it
A good read. You collect Sheen's personality and wit through his writing. He was quite colorful and controversial.
Cristina
Dec 06, 2014 Cristina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faith
Just a wonderful reflection of a very humble and Christ loving man. Challenges me to think more deeply about how I live my faith and how I'm teaching my children.
Lynne
Aug 12, 2010 Lynne rated it it was ok
I can't get into this book right now so I'm going to return it to the library and try it again some other time...
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2012
James Dunnigan
James Dunnigan rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2014
  • A Life with Karol: My Forty-Year Friendship with the Man Who Became Pope
  • A Father Who Keeps His Promises: God's Covenant Love in Scripture
  • Render Unto Caesar: Serving the Nation by Living our Catholic Beliefs in Political Life
  • The Spiritual Combat and a Treatise on Peace of Soul
  • Letters to a Young Catholic
  • The Way
  • G.K. Chesterton: The Apostle of Common Sense
  • Mother Angelica: The Remarkable Story of a Nun, Her Nerve, and a Network of Miracles
  • Heaven's Song
  • Journal of a Soul
  • I Believe in Love: A Personal Retreat Based on the Teaching of St. Therese of Lisieux
  • The Fathers Know Best: Your Essential Guide to the Teachings of the Early Church
  • Mary: The Church at the Source
  • Be a Man!: Becoming the Man God Created You to Be
  • The Spirit of the Liturgy
  • The Golden Thread
Fulton John Sheen, born Peter John Sheen was an American archbishop of the Roman Catholic Church known for his preaching and especially his work on television and radio. His cause for canonization for sainthood was officially opened in 2002, and so he is now referred to as a "Servant of God".
More about Fulton J. Sheen...

“The greatest influence in writing was G. K. Chesterton who never used a useless word, who saw the value of a paradox, and avoided what was trite.” 5 likes
“She satisfies my ideal.” Every person carries within his heart a blueprint of the one he loves; what appears to be “love at first sight” is often the fulfillment of a desire and the realization of a dream.” 3 likes