Start by marking “Saving Cinnamon: The Amazing True Story of a Missing Military Puppy and the Desperate Mission to Bring Her Home” as Want to Read:

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  404 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Set against the backdrop of the war in Afghanistan, Saving Cinnamon chronicles the love story of Navy Reservist Mark Feffer and a stray puppy he bonded with while stationed outside of Kandahar. When Mark is about to return stateside, he decides to adopt Cinnamon and sets up her transport back to the United States. But the unthinkable happens: Cinnamon is abandoned by the d ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published December 21st 2009 by Tantor Media (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Saving Cinnamon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saving Cinnamon

AmniconStudio
Mar 22, 2011 AmniconStudio rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: passed-on
I started to read this book. When I first read about it over on Amazon, I thought "Saving Cinnamon" would be a wonderful story of a soldier working really hard to bring his partner-dog home with him.

It's not exactly that. Cinnamon is a dog that found her way onto one of the army bases and many people took care of her. Instead of the soldier telling the story it is his sister that is telling the story.

Right off the bat I didn't like the writing. It was kind of disjointed. Then I realized that it
Ryann
I found the writing to be disjointed, rambling and extremely repetitive, the author to be annoying and self-absorbed, and the plot unworthy of a book. I think the author lacks appreciate and understanding for other cultures and inserts herself more into a central figure of this story than she actually was. I realize it's a true story, but it didn't need to be written. They didn't really save the dog's life and it's not as important as a lot of what is happening in that area of the world. I am a ...more
Bridget Conroy
This book was about a great story about a soldier reuniting with his dog. You hear stories like this all the time recently and it was nice to get a detailed version of what happens and all that goes into it. I didn't realize this story was one of the first missions to get a dog out of a foreign country which paved the way to getting this to happen for future soldiers. It was a very tedious process with many areas for things to go wrong but in the end, he got his puppy back through the hard work ...more
Kathi
A good story about a soldier in Afghanistan who decides to adopt a puppy that has kept him company during his tour of duty. Cinnamon's journey to the US was very difficult. Somewhere out there is a man named Matthew Roberts that I despise and would spit on if I met him in person.
Kelly
Mar 27, 2012 Kelly rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Animal lovers, military
This book ranks as one of my all-time favorites! The book begins by telling the story of a man (Mark) who, quite unexpectedly, is deployed to war. Having not had a family member deployed, it gave me real insight into how the family can be affected by something like this when it is unexpected. Once in Afganistan, he meets a dog who lives on base. This dog is just a puppy and is not always treated well by some, although he is loved by most military folks on the base. When Mark finds out he will be ...more
Kelly

I really enjoyed this book. If you love dogs then you'll like this one. The writing style makes it a quick read. There is no unnecessary describing of scenery or other minute details that are not pertinent to the story.

The story is about a puppy named Cinnamon who is living on a military base in Afghanistan. A soldier who helps raise her on base decides to bring Cinnamon home to be his dog in the US. After his tour of duty, about 6 months, he has to go through debriefing at another base therefo
Cheryl
While serving a tour of duty in Afghanistan, Mark Feffer became attached to a stray puppy who wandered the area near the American encampment. Dogs are reviled in the Middle East--considered to be dirty and unfit to live alongside humans. When Mark's tour ended, he feared for the puppy's safety and decided to try to bring her home. After painstakingly making arrangements to transport Cinnamon to the U.S., Feffer learned that the dog handler abandoned Cinnamon. The puppy disappeared without a trac ...more
Suzy
Saving Cinnamon is, hands down, the BEST military/dog book that I have ever read. The story follows navy Reservist Mark Feffer’s attempts to get a scruffy puppy who stole his heart, back to the USA when he is rotated out of Afghanistan. Mark’s meticulous plans are thrown into chaos when Cinnamon’s handler arrives in the U.S and the pup is nowhere to be found. The handler’s suspicious story leads Mark to give up all hope of ever finding Cinnamon. But Mark’s sister steps in and tirelessly works to ...more
Deborah Darsie
Quite a saga for such a sweet dog. I am glad there are better support systems in place for our soldiers who want to rescue the dogs (and cats) which make their lives overseas just a wee bit more tolerable.

This was a very good book to listen to during my 42 mile commute to work!
It only took 3 days to listen to the whole book...

The challenges of transcontinental dog rescue and an excellent example of what is possible. More so now than ever with social media and email. The globe is a lot less myste
Kirsti
A wonderful story, filled with hope and determination, and one woman's struggle to help her brother be reunited with a pup he befriended while on duty in Afghanistan. The book is one of those truly beautiful animal stories I find myself picking up time and time gain, and before long, you find yourself enamored with Cinnamon, and amazed at Chris' determination to get her to the US. The book is emotive, well written and a truly lovely story- the pictures will make you smile, and no doubt remind yo ...more
Anna Galinski
Loved this book

I couldn't put this book down. This book tells an all too familiar sorry of the stay dogs of Afghanistan that have saved our soldiers as much as they have saved these wonderful dogs. It also tells the story of one man's choice to let a dog and the man who loved him down and a sister who saved the dog she loved but never met because she loved the man. A must read for all animal lovers.
Lynnea
a long drawn out event for poor Cinnamon. It's a great story but the book is also drawn out more than necessary.
AnnieM
The weird point of view (told by the sister) made it hard to get into.

The narrator made another mark against it.

Finally the disjointed writing and difficult plot line.

Those three things meshed together to take a nice dog story into a never ending saga. It just never came together. I think if it was told from the soldier's or the wife's point of view, it would have connected.

Never have I ever been so disconnected from an animal story.

There are many great dog and soldier stories. This isn't o
Joseph
This wasn't a bad book, but not necessarely a great book. The title speaks for itself. The author is the sister of the soldier, who is trying to bring the dog home. She is very passionate and you can tell by her writing she was very emotionally attached to this book. She really slams one of the people in the book... It is a easy read and very light on the details of why he loves this dog so much. The dog is really cute, so I can see why, but the detail is lacking in that area.
Pam
This was interesting only because I'd already read a similar encounter No Buddy Left Behind. It really drags out the story by reprinting every email sent between several people in the story. It does a good job of justifying all the time and money spent getting this one dog home, but it could have been done in a lot fewer chapters. I realize the author was trying to convey the agonizing time spent searching for the dog, but it was not suspenseful.
Lindsay
I thought this book would be a good dog story to read, but the beginning chapters were about being deployed to Afghanistan. I was frustrated, also, with the editing (or lack of). I can forgive typos every once in a while, but to have two within the first 25 pages of a book is a bit much. I stopped reading and just skimmed ahead to the parts about Cinnamon being found on the base initially and her journey to the U.S. afterwards.
Kelsey Wilkinson
The story was really endearing, but the writing got in the way of enjoying the story. I think the main problem was that the writer had about enough meat in the story to create a feature magazine article, but tried to stretch it to book length. Her awkward attempts at filling space with anecdotes about other dogs and family members left me wishing a solid editor had intervened and suggested a different forum for this story.
Janet
I loved this story. She was a beloved puppy on a military base, and when one of the soldiers decided to adopt her and bring her home against many barriers, she was abandoned in an airport by the person entrusted with her transport. This is the story of many answered prayers, and a family's perseverance to save one small dog. I love stories with happy endings!
Tina Axell
For dog lovers like me, this was a good book. I can't resist a story of the special bond between human and dog. I love the author's view that positive thoughts and envisioning Cinnamon playing in her brother's backyard would bring her home. Call it faith, call it believing in the power of your thoughts, call it determination...it brought her home.
Jami
I wasn't sure initially how this would make an entire book, but I found that I really enjoyed this story. Once I started, I couldn't wait to see how everything unfolded. And it was nice to read a dog story with a happy ending. I could relate to the feelings these people had for their dogs as well. Totally enjoyed it!
Connie
This is an interesting story about how many people came together to get this puppy to it's new home in America. I listened to the book on audio, so it may have just been the reader, but I did not feel this book was written well. The true story, not the writing, kept me listening.
Denise
This is a good story & the author very enthusiastic about it, but is extremely repetitious. I felt that she was more interested & obsessed with her own feelings than the actual story. I persevered & finished the book because I wanted to know the ending, but it was difficult.
Carly Laferriere
The overall story/plot was good, but the author's tone bugged the heck out of me. The middle of the book seemed like a mix between a pity-party she had for herself and a rant about the guy who left the dog at the airport. I gave up with 30 or so pages left and put the book away.
Rosie Beck
The story of a family's devotion to getting Cinnamon, a camp dog in Iraq, back to the U.S.
What a tangled web..especially when the handler hired to bring her back abandons her in Turkey. Oh No! All ends well.
Toni
I loved this book the heart warming tale of family helping each other to bring home a lost pet is wonderful. I love the fact that the author gave the back story of cinnamon and those who loved her most
Pam
Interesting story, but the writing was somewhat repetitive.
Beth
OK, it was a good, heartwarming story. But it easily could have been a short story. I am a sucker for dog books, especially Goldens. That is the dog I most wish I could own.
Erin
Not very well-written book. I'm glad they saved Cinnamon but getting through the book felt like work. Often it was needlessly repetitive and I had trouble keeping interested.
Debra
A Naval officer in Afghanistan goes through an incredible amount of aggravation bringing home a puppy he'd adopted.
Allison Boaz
Inspirational book about finding a home to a dog that has been through everything. Heart-warming!
  • One Dog at a Time: Saving the Strays of Helmand - An Inspiring True Story
  • From Baghdad to America: Life Lessons from a Dog Named Lava
  • Saving Gracie: How One Dog Escaped the Shadowy World of American Puppy Mills
  • Katie Up and Down the Hall: The True Story of How One Dog Turned Five Neighbors into a Family
  • Lost and Found: Dogs, Cats, and Everyday Heroes at a Country Animal Shelter
  • Out of Harm's Way
  • Best Friends: The True Story of the World's Most Beloved Animal Sanctuary
  • Dog Heroes of September 11th: A Tribute to America's Search and Rescue Dogs
  • A Rare Breed of Love: The True Story of Baby and the Mission She Inspired to Help Dogs Everywhere
  • The Puppy That Came for Christmas: How a Dog Brought One Family the Gift of Joy
  • A Small Furry Prayer: Dog Rescue and the Meaning of Life
  • Blind Hope: An Unwanted Dog and the Woman She Rescued
  • Pukka: The Pup After Merle
  • Last Dog on the Hill: The Extraordinary Life of Lou
  • Born to Bark: My Adventures with an Irrepressible and Unforgettable Dog
  • The Dog Who Rescues Cats: True Story of Ginny
  • Huck: The Remarkable True Story of How One Lost Puppy Taught a Family - and a Whole Town - About Hope and Happy Endings
  • Shelter Dogs: Amazing Stories of Adopted Strays
44 Days Out of Kandahar: The Amazing Journey of a Missing Military Puppy and the Desperate Search to Find Her Saving Cinnamon: The amazing true story of a military puppy and the desperate mission to bring her home Profiting from Intellectual Capital: Extracting Value from Innovation Essentials of Biostatistics for Public Health Feeding Picky Kids: The Natural Way to Handle Picky Eaters