Santa's Favorite Story

Santa's Favorite Story

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  130 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Christmas may be canceled this year because Santa is too tired to deliver all his packages. The forest animals are worried, but when Santa tells them the story of the very first Christmas, when Christ was born, the animals discover the true spirit of the season.
Published October 1st 1997 by Aladdin (first published November 1st 1982)

Last Christmas Eve, our church librarian, was visiting her daughter’s church and heard their children’s director read Santa’s Favorite Story: Santa Tells the Story of the First Christmas by Hisako Aoki. She liked it so much that you can now find a copy in our library! In the book, Ivan Ganteschev’s beautiful water colors show Santa Claus telling a group of woodland animals his favorite story, the true story of Christmas, the birth of Jesus. Santa says, “It’s my favorite story because it reminds...more
Rebecca
I'm glad Santa's favorite story is all about Jesus!
Jenn
In this book, Santa tells us the true meaning of Christmas. It's a good way to introduce kids to both the secular concept of Santa as well as the religious meaning of the holiday. It doesn't explain about St. Nicholas, but the message that Christmas is about God and love instead of presents.

My Favorite Picture:
The sheep and shepherds at the manger in Bethlehem.

The style of these illustrations looks to be watercolor on a very familiar textured heavy-weight paper... Brings back memories. :)
Katherine
This book was in my house and I pulled it out because I remembered reading it every Christmas with my parents. This book might be a little difficult to read in class because it is strictly about Christmas but it could be good if you taught at a private Catholic school, or even if you read this book as one of the many books you would read to your class about different types of religion, whatever you chose is fine but this book has very beautiful illustrations and beautiful writing as well. It als...more
Donna
Gentle Christmas story with Santa explaining the true meaning of Christmas to the woodland animals.
Naomi Bodway
A charming children's book that finds Santa explaining that Christmas REALLY isn't all about him...and he shares with the animals of the forest the story of the birth of the Christ Child. I love to give this as a gift to children, in a humble attempt to keep Christ in the Christmas. Beautiful illustrations and a poignant simple story.
Jenny
I discovered this book when my youngest was 10. However, it is still a story that can be shared with children. Santa tells the animals his favorite story; the birth of Christ and the real meaning of Christmas. Santa also explains that love is the best gift of all... One that is better than any present he can deliver. This is a good book to use as a way of explaining commercialism vs. Christmas....it doesn't send the message that Santa is bad, just not what Christmas is truly about.
Jen
This is my daughter's favorite Christmas book. We read it every night. It's a sweet, simple little book where Santa explains that Christmas is not about him, but about the first Christmas when Jesus was born. I love that while it keeps the Santa mystery, Santa himself makes sure that the true reason for this season is known. Highly recommend for parents who want to do Santa with their kids without losing sight of Jesus.
Linda
I found this little treasure after my own children were pretty much grown and gone; being a collector of children's books and also Christmas books, the fact that I wouldn't have anyone to read it to didn't deter me from picking it up and putting it on my Christmas shelf.

The gentle watercolors and lovely telling give a decidedly different feel to this story. It's kind of a sleeper and definitely one to be treasured.
Seth
PB:22 Santa's Favorite Story. Simply one of the most touching stories about the true meaning of Christmas and the blessings we take for granted each day yet are still loved by our Savior. As a child, we think Christmas is mainly filled with gifts and presents yet there is so much more to it. I highly recommend reading this to children at an early age so they can understand Christmas in many better ways!
Lauren
I loved the beautiful watercolor artwork but the story isn't up my alley for Christmas stories.
Melanie
I have always been enchanted with the idea of Santa having a deep love for the baby Jesus, and this story carries that theme. Santa gets to tell the story of the First Christmas to a small gathering of woodland animals.
Leslie
Santa tells the story of Jesus' birth in this delightful Christmas story. This is another book my parents introduced me to in my youth. I was so delighted when I found it last year to add to our family Christmas collection.
Lovely illustrations. The story and pictures jive well together and reflect the author's Japanese heritage. That's a bit of a stereotype, I know. There really is a calm, quiet, gentle feel to the book though.
Ruth
Sweet little story about Santa telling the Nativity story to the animals in the forest. Memorable more for its beautiful watercolor illustrations than its story.
Christiana Tarpley
very cute book to teach students about the meaning of Christmas- it's not just all about the presents! :) Teaches the students of the importance of the first Christmas.
Kathryn
3.5 STARS. I could really appreciate the artwork and effort here, but ultimately just not my style and seemed a little too forced at trying to fit in the "message."
Katie
An awesome combination of the Santa portion of Christmas that is celebrated by popular culture and the telling of the biblical Christmas story.
E
The illustrations are hauntingly beautiful; a nice change from the usually bombastic, bright images associated with Santa and Christmas.
Sally
Such a sweet and tender story! Did you know that Santa's favorite story is about the birth of Jesus?
Josette
Interesting concept--Santa accurately tells the story of the first Christmas.
Megan
This is one of my favorite Christmas books ever. I read it every Christmas.
Catherine
The story has a good message, but I didn't find it very engaging.
JoDean
Santa's favorite story is the birth of Christ.
Colette
the best present ever is Christmas itself!
Teri
Santa tells the story of the nativity.
Angie
Santa tells the story of Jesus. Cute.
Andrea
I highly recommend everyone read this book to their children. This day isn't just Santa and presents after all. :-)
Teri
  • Christmas Tapestry
  • The Spirit of Christmas
  • The Legend of the Poinsettia
  • Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
  • Who is Coming to Our House?
  • The Donkey's Dream
  • The Sweet Smell of Christmas
  • The Little Fir Tree
  • The Carpenter's Gift: A Christmas Tale about the Rockefeller Center Tree
  • Santa Duck
  • Olive, the Other Reindeer
  • Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree
The Christmas Story By Father Christmas (Picture Book Studio Little Books S) Caspar & the Rainbow Bird Historia de Navidad = The Story of Christmas