China's Son: Growing Up in the Cultural Revolution

China's Son: Growing Up in the Cultural Revolution

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  173 ratings  ·  23 reviews
A candid memoir about growing up during the Chinese Cultural Revolution, adapted by the author from his Colors of the Mountain, published by Random House.

Da Chen was born in China in 1962. The grandson of a landlord, he and his family were treated as outcasts in Communist China. In school, Da was an excellent student until a teacher told him that, because of his “family’s...more
Published February 19th 2009 by Laurel Leaf (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about China's Son, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about China's Son

Tarn Potter
Is it too late to know about Cultural Revolution in China in period of Chairman Mao, 1966?

If yes, it is my personal fault. I am a Thai pampered girl who never opens her eyes, seeing something’s near and valuable but swinging her eyes on something beyond and hard to reach to then was suffered.

If no, it is my turn to repay it by reviewing this book, China's Son; growing up in the Cultural Revolution, to make it is part of my beautiful memories.

China’s son was found in Flinders University library a...more
Reid
The interesting story of growing up in the Cultural Revolution.

Da Chen's family was outcast during this time because they had been landlords.

Da Chen tells what it was like for his family and himself to fight off the discrimination and humiliation at the hands of neighbors and townspeople because of his family and his background.

Humorous at times, gut wrenching at other times this is an honest book about the human struggle to survive in really tough times.

Da and his brother Jin found a way out f...more
Mabel
During the 1950s and 1960s, China faced a time of revolution. Communist became the most common and trust belief while previously rich landlords were now treated as outcasts.

Da Chen's family had previously been wealthy (during his grandfather's time) but by his birth his family no longer had the wealth or status that they previously had. As his family was treated as an outcast by society Da decided to drop out of school and join a gang secretly. This lifestyle continued but when Communist Party...more
Jill
This is a memoir with twists as convoluted as real life - despair, hope, irresponsibility, and dedication take their turns. The end result is a not altogether comfortable story of growing up in 1970s China. Unlike many memoirs or biographies, China's Son: Growing Up in the Cultural Revolutionis written in a smooth, easy-to-read narrative style.

This book contains alcohol consumption, smoking, and swearing.
Jenny
Biography of Da Chen growing up in China during the Cultural Revolution. He comes from a dispsed landlord family, and struggles against that prejudice. He is tormented in school and almost leaves repeatedly. He becomes friends with the town juvenile delinquents and has a future of farming to look forward to. Then an opportunity to take the college entrance exam comes along, and Da Chen must make up for lost time if he is to have any hope of a brighter future.
Amy Young
I've got to stop trolling for Kindle library books! I hadn't realized I'd read this about ten years ago. I liked it better then.
Cynthia
I found this book to be unbelievable because never in my life had I heard a story that was this captivating and motivating during the Cultural Revolution. Da Chen, the author of this book wrote this book based upon his true life experience and his struggle of growing up during the Cultural Revolution.

Da Chen started describing his life of how he was treated during the revolution. He was the landlord's son so all the poor farmers and people hated those who are rich at Yellow Stone. The poor woul...more
Zach
This was a really inspiring book. Da Chen started a out as a landlords son, which was looked down upon in Chinas society at the time during the cultural revolution. He went back and forth from focusing on school, to focusing on music or gambling with friends. In the end he decides he wants to go to school. He has to work really hard to get his grades back up and decides he wants to try to go to college. To do this he must work and study everyday and night. In the end he acheives his goal as does...more
Viviana
Nov 12, 2007 Viviana rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Yes
This is a tear jerking true story about a poor boy named Da born in the terrible year called the Great Starvation from the cause of a bad leader. Da's change of education seems impossible so he finds himself part of a gang that just wants to have fun. Then Moa (the leader) dies and education becomes possible again.
Josie
*****DO NOT READ THIS REVIEW IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THIS BOOK!!!!! IT CONTAINS SPOILERS!!!!!*****

It wasn't bad, but it was also a little confusing. It's well-written, but it just isn't my favorite book. I liked it, though! It was sad, but Da eventually went to college in the end, which made me happy.
Hannah
A great memoir. I enjoyed reading about Da's adventures and wouldn't hesitate to pick up anything else he's written.

It would be interesting to pair this book alongside Ji-Li Jiang's "The Red Scarf Girl' for a look a life in communist China during the Cultural Revolution.
Peter Fitzpatrick
I'm usually not a fan of historical non-fiction novels, but this one had some value in it because of extreme opression by Mao Ze Dung. I liked it, though it was a pain at some times...
Sue
An interesting memoir showing what it was like growing up in China during their 'cultural revolution.'
Brooke
I really liked this book. It was sad but had a great meaning about how important family and education is.
Tristi
This one is not an easy read, but I learned a lot from it and considered it well worth my time.
Kathy
Interesting offset to Li Cunxin's "Mao's Last Dancer". A grittier story.
Suzanne Libra
An interesting memior of growing up in the Cultural Revolution.
Al
another one on growing up during the Cultural Revolution
Rachel
The author Da Chen had a ruff time growing up.
Tiffany
A very optimistic and dedicated man.
Lindsey McDowell
Interesting read but dragged on and on.
Debora Situmorang
very inspiring & encouraging...
Sue
incredible true story.
Murtaza
Murtaza marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Aneesh
Aneesh added it
Aug 17, 2014
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Shelly
Shelly marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Ana Maria
Ana Maria marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Colors of the Mountain Brothers Sounds of the River: A Young Man's University Days in Beijing My Last Empress Sword