Start by marking “Death Note: Black Edition, Volume 3 (Death Note: Black Edition #3)” as Want to Read:
Death Note: Black Edition, Volume 3 (Death Note: Black Edition #3)

Death Note: Black Edition, Volume 3 (Death Note: Black Edition #3)

4.4 of 5 stars 4.40  ·  rating details  ·  1,228 ratings  ·  81 reviews

Reads R to L (Japanese Style) for audiences T+. Contains Volumes 5 and 6 of Death Note!

Light Yagami is an ace student with great prospects--and he’s bored out of his mind. But all that changes when he finds the Death Note, a notebook dropped by a rogue Shinigami death god. Any human whose name is written in the notebook dies, and now Light has vowed to use the power of the

Published (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Death Note, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death Note

Raeleen Lemay

There were a few slow parts in this one, but DANG the last 50 pages or so were nuts!
Sue Moro
Overall, still enjoying this series. I found the parts involving the meetings of the Yotsuba group to be a little tedious, however, and they slowed down the plot.
Holy cow there is a twist and a half at the start of this book. Something that made sense but that I did not expect at all. Amazing piece of plotting. I do not propose to reveal or spoil any of it but rest assured it left me agape for a while.

As before this is a densely written thriller with continuous twists and turns that you need to focus on in order to keep apace with all of them. As before it eschews the action and violence for a far more ethereal and thoughtful experience.

The bravery of th
This series is literally my favourite thing at the moment! I'm definitely buying the last 3 this saturday coming up, because I cant wait to find out what happens! (also I have to wait 3 days to continue this on, and its going to kill me) I'm very glad this series is so long because I love it so much!

The ending of this one was so good, (especially Volume 6), but I found I missed Light being Kira a lot? like I definitely liked the plot of him giving up his deathnote to escape the police
Josef Hare
The beginning of this volume contains an event that pretty much completely changes the story, I can see why they'd want to do something like this after two volumes of the same set-up, but it was extremely disorienting. It felt like everything that had happened previously suddenly had no influence, and it was like the manga had somehow rebooted itself before it was even done. I had negative feelings about all this initially, but I soon began to really enjoy it. The event in question doesn't reall ...more
Love this series.
Oo! I can't tell you how many times I was literally yelling at this book while I was reading it! I just wanted to absolutely devour this book!

Light and Misa lose their whole memories regarding the Death Notes after being taken into custody by L. But was this all part of Light's plan? Meanwhile, an entire company seems to have gained the powers Light and Misa once had. L tries to plan Light's innocence so he can put him on the case to finding out who this next person with the powers is. Light coo
The story of Kira & "L" continues.

In this installment, Light gives up ownership of the Death Note in order to forget everything about it, and be truly honest in his attempts at convincing "L" that he is not Kira. In the meantime, the shinnigami that hunted Misa-Misa gives her Death note to a corrupt & ambitious businessman in order to deflect suspicion away from Misa-Misa. "L" ends up believing that both Light and Misa-Misa are innocent of being Kira & Kira 2, though he suspects that
Death note is about a notebook that has the power to kill anyone whose name is written on the notebook. One day, Light Yagami comes in possession of this notebook, and he begins to try to "rid the world of evil." I love this concept so much, and the writer seems so brilliant. I do find it a bit less fascinating than it was in the beginning, but it is still very interesting. I never really have any idea where this story will go, and I enjoy the artwork. I picked up volume 4 immediately after I fi ...more
Clay Haase
Review brought by Geekly Review

Death Note is without a doubt one of those mangas that practically everyone has at least heard about. No wonder too, the story is interesting and attention-catching. The plot is centered on Light Yagami, who finds a notebook with which he can kill people by writing their names on it, and the police investigation that attempts to put an end to his criminal killing and bring him to justice. It is deep, interesting, with a well-developed plot, and absolutely memorab
I have to say, this may be my favorite arc. I love seeing Light work together with L with Misa added in as a bonus. They are both very intelligent men with a sense of righteousness and justice, and for a few chapters, they're actually on the same side. Sure, there's the fact that L still suspects Light as Kira, and Light is mad as heck that he's still under suspicion, but these things only add to the delicious tension.

Another thing that is brilliant about this arc is the fact that though intelli

La mayor parte de la historia es un poco más lenta en comparación con los tomos anteriores puesto que en esta parte trata del arco de la Yotsuba y este nuevo Kira.
Se me ha hecho muy larga y algo extensa ya que el ritmo es diferente, todo se centra en investigar, observar y sacar algunas conclusiones pero sin duda hay momentos interesantes entre L, Light y Misa.
En ningún momento L deja de sospechar de Light, las deducciones y lo sumamente observador que es para todos los detalles es genial.
El pró
Sophie Noel
Once again... amazing. I gave it the four stars because this is where the story starts to slow down.
Actual rating of 4.25 stars.

This shit is FUCKING INSANE. I love it.
S.E. Berrow
I did not enjoy volumes V and VI of Death Note anywhere near as much as previous instalments. On a positive note, due to a case of self-enforced amnesia, Light Yagami isn't anywhere near as hateable as he has been up until this point as he now uses his intelligence to stop Kira rather than further Kira's cause. Unfortunately because Light has relinquished ownership of the Death Note and willingly given up his memories of being Kira, he takes a step back as central character of the story and cons ...more
Nicola Mansfield
Reason for Reading: Next in the series

Wow! This series just keeps getting better and better! The best volume so far. In this omnibus edition volumes 5 and 6 go together so well as they contain a mini story-arc. Both Light and Misa have temporarily given up their notebooks and had their memories erased all as part of Light's master plan to throw L.'s suspicion off of him, while at the same time Misa's book has been turned over to someone else and a group of 8 individuals at a Japanese corporation
[4.5 stars]

I honestly did not think I would enjoy manga this much, but seriously, this series is crazy amazing. I am reading these two-in-one volume bind up editions, and I believe that is why I am enjoying this as much as I am. I feel like reading all 12 volumes individually would be less enjoyable, maybe because it would be too short, who knows? But yeah, Death Note is awesome, simple as that.
I found this book much slower than the first two and nowhere near as engaging. I'm starting to be very annoyed by "L".....he is just a very annoying person and I keep finding myself really wanting him to go away! And the Yotsuba meetings were just tedious! The last couple chapters kind of made the whole book, the rest was sort of bland.
Rebecka (is hilarious, shut up)
Goddamn, but that was boring.

The previous book ended with a rather shocking and mysterious (and with that I mean it isn't explained) plot-twist. Naturally, I opened the next book burning with the desire to find out what the heck just happened. I read. And read. And fucking read.

Now the last page is turned, and you know what? I STILL DON'T KNOW WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED.
It does not create suspense. It does not make me especially eager to read the next book. What it makes me do is plug my laptop in,
Rees Malwin
4.5/5 stars.

Okay, so, most of this book was boring to me, if we're gonna be honest, but all was solved in the end and it was all redeemed. I have the rest of the series, now, so I'm able to hop right into Volume IV.

HOWEVER, I need to read more Crown of Midnight. I just need to. So Death Note IV must wait!
Probably more of a 3.5. This one wasn't as good as the previous installments. I missed the intelligent ways Light and L would try to one up each other in the investigation. Still a good read though. Looking forward to the next one.
Marie Smith
Still enjoyable however not as gripping as the previous volumes. Its almost as if the 'third Kira' scenario is a means to extend the story a little further. Still it does serve to build Light and L's relationship a little further.
Joe Odran Doran
Still plenty of intrigue and intelligence here, but the book gets bogged down in a sidestory against a group of businesses men using Light's Death Note for corporate gain. It's an alright idea, but after an entire volume of no Light vs L, it drags.

And the sexism is just as rampant here as it is in all the other issues. Misa is a babbling idiot who refers to herself in the third person, and only ever displays a degree of intelligence when the author needs her to move the plot along. All the other
I didn't read this all through in one go, so the fact I've only given it 3 stars is honestly probably my fault. However, I didn't like this volume as much as the first two.
Freaking take the gun. Use the gun. This is why we can't have nice things, because the Yagamis are gonna let their dumb idea of the moral high ground get themselves killed.
This volume was pretty slow, and it took me quite a while to get through it, but the story is still interesting and the very end of this volume was freaking crazy.
  • Fullmetal Alchemist (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 7
  • The Adventure of the Yellow Face (The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, #2)
  • Bleach (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 1: Includes vols. 1, 2 & 3
  • Death Note: L, Change the World
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion 3-in-1 Edition, Vol. 1: Includes vols. 1, 2 & 3
  • Naruto, Vol. 69: The Beginning of the Crimson Spring  (Naruto, #69)
  • Dragon Ball Z, Vol. 1 (VIZBIG Edition)
  • 黒執事 [Kuroshitsuji] XXII (Black Butler, #22)
  • The Sandman Omnibus, Vol. 2
  • Another Omnibus
Tsugumi Ohba (大場 つぐみ Ōba Tsugumi?, born in Tokyo, Japan) is a writer best known for the manga Death Note. His real identity is a closely guarded secret. As stated by the profile placed at the beginning of each Death Note manga, Ohba collects teacups and develops manga plots while holding his knees on a chair, similar to a habit of L, one of the main characters of the series.

There is speculation th
More about Tsugumi Ohba...

Death Note: Black Edition (6 books)
  • Death Note: Black Edition, Volume 1 (Death Note: Black Edition, #1)
  • Death Note: Black Edition, Volume 2 (Death Note: Black Edition, #2)
  • Death Note: Black Edition, Volume 4 (Death Note: Black Edition #4)
  • Death Note: Black Edition, Volume 5 (Death Note: Black Edition #5)
  • Death Note: Black Edition, Volume 6 (Death Note: Black Edition #6)