Start by marking “Death Note: Black Edition, Volume 3 (Death Note: Black Edition #3)” as Want to Read:
Death Note: Black Edition, Volume 3 (Death Note: Black Edition #3)

Death Note: Black Edition, Volume 3 (Death Note: Black Edition #3)

4.41 of 5 stars 4.41  ·  rating details  ·  799 ratings  ·  45 reviews

Reads R to L (Japanese Style) for audiences T+. Contains Volumes 5 and 6 of Death Note!

Light Yagami is an ace student with great prospects--and he’s bored out of his mind. But all that changes when he finds the Death Note, a notebook dropped by a rogue Shinigami death god. Any human whose name is written in the notebook dies, and now Light has vowed to use the power of the

Published (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Death Note, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death Note

Sue Moro
Overall, still enjoying this series. I found the parts involving the meetings of the Yotsuba group to be a little tedious, however, and they slowed down the plot.
Clay Haase
Review brought by Geekly Review

Death Note is without a doubt one of those mangas that practically everyone has at least heard about. No wonder too, the story is interesting and attention-catching. The plot is centered on Light Yagami, who finds a notebook with which he can kill people by writing their names on it, and the police investigation that attempts to put an end to his criminal killing and bring him to justice. It is deep, interesting, with a well-developed plot, and absolutely memorabl
J.
The story of Kira & "L" continues.

In this installment, Light gives up ownership of the Death Note in order to forget everything about it, and be truly honest in his attempts at convincing "L" that he is not Kira. In the meantime, the shinnigami that hunted Misa-Misa gives her Death note to a corrupt & ambitious businessman in order to deflect suspicion away from Misa-Misa. "L" ends up believing that both Light and Misa-Misa are innocent of being Kira & Kira 2, though he suspects that
Jessie
I have to say, this may be my favorite arc. I love seeing Light work together with L with Misa added in as a bonus. They are both very intelligent men with a sense of righteousness and justice, and for a few chapters, they're actually on the same side. Sure, there's the fact that L still suspects Light as Kira, and Light is mad as heck that he's still under suspicion, but these things only add to the delicious tension.

Another thing that is brilliant about this arc is the fact that though intelli
Chivitouille

La mayor parte de la historia es un poco más lenta en comparación con los tomos anteriores puesto que en esta parte trata del arco de la Yotsuba y este nuevo Kira.
Se me ha hecho muy larga y algo extensa ya que el ritmo es diferente, todo se centra en investigar, observar y sacar algunas conclusiones pero sin duda hay momentos interesantes entre L, Light y Misa.
En ningún momento L deja de sospechar de Light, las deducciones y lo sumamente observador que es para todos los detalles es genial.
El pró
Lady
I did not enjoy volumes V and VI of Death Note anywhere near as much as previous instalments. On a positive note, due to a case of self-enforced amnesia, Light Yagami isn't anywhere near as hateable as he has been up until this point as he now uses his intelligence to stop Kira rather than further Kira's cause. Unfortunately because Light has relinquished ownership of the Death Note and willingly given up his memories of being Kira, he takes a step back as central character of the story and cons ...more
Nicola Mansfield
Reason for Reading: Next in the series

Wow! This series just keeps getting better and better! The best volume so far. In this omnibus edition volumes 5 and 6 go together so well as they contain a mini story-arc. Both Light and Misa have temporarily given up their notebooks and had their memories erased all as part of Light's master plan to throw L.'s suspicion off of him, while at the same time Misa's book has been turned over to someone else and a group of 8 individuals at a Japanese corporation
Marie Smith
Still enjoyable however not as gripping as the previous volumes. Its almost as if the 'third Kira' scenario is a means to extend the story a little further. Still it does serve to build Light and L's relationship a little further.
Joe Odran Doran
Still plenty of intrigue and intelligence here, but the book gets bogged down in a sidestory against a group of businesses men using Light's Death Note for corporate gain. It's an alright idea, but after an entire volume of no Light vs L, it drags.

And the sexism is just as rampant here as it is in all the other issues. Misa is a babbling idiot who refers to herself in the third person, and only ever displays a degree of intelligence when the author needs her to move the plot along. All the other
Beatriz Fernandez
This is perhaps my favourite volume thus far. It is difficult to extoll its virtues without spoiling anything, so I will just say this: you will learn a great deal about the nature of the Death Note, shinigami, and possession that will make you seriously rethink your ideas about morality, evil, and the nature of the universe. At least, that's what happened with me. Also, if anyone has despised Light up to this point, you will be seriously surprised in this next volume. It made me reconsider my e ...more
Oscar
Brenda
This series just doesn't disappoint. I can never predict what is going to happen next. Love it.
Mary
Jan 27, 2015 Mary added it
figured out the bad person before story disclosed. Now I have to jump into vol. 4
Rob
Eh, it's losing me. The plot to trap Higuchi was awful.
María Florencia
Se acerca el gran momento...
Tony
Still enjoyable but feels like a derailment of the main story.
Jamie
Oct 09, 2012 Jamie added it
So far into the book L and light are working together to find kira wich use to be light but then switched to a death god named Rim Misa's gardien from the under world. As they work on the case together misa is being a suspect for being the second kira and was said that she was an accomplace with light but that turned out to be a lie or was it? anyway i recommend this to everyone in the whole class because just because people say that its a comic book its not "ITS A GRAPHIC NOVEl." As i always sa ...more
Anna
3.5 - a bit slower than the others but still pretty good, I'm looking forward to him getting his memories back!
Jordan
Out of all the volumes I've read so far I think volumes 5 and 6 are by far the worst. BUT that does NOT mean they're bad. It's just the previous issues had more exciting content where these two volumes had more talking (which was essential to the development of the plot and the characters).

The ending of volume 6 though was a really good cliff-hanger and the climatic scenes were very well done!

Plus I really miss Ryuk!
Connie
Wheyyyy finally finished it!

Took me a while, but I did it. I blame SnK: it distracted me from everything.

I love L.
Him and Misa have the cutest relationship.
Also are Aiber and Wedy in a relationship? They seem like it. Either that or they are super close.

I am looking forward to picking up the next volume. It'll probably take me a month to read, but eh, I still enjoy it.
Devon
The story took a different turn is this edition with the introduction of another Kira in some ways I liked it because it added a new dimension to the story but I'm also wondering where it's going to go from here so I'm definitely going to carry on with the series, I just hope that the story doesn't start going really over the top or repetitive but I guess I'll find out!
Mary
With Light having lost his memories and a new Kira being investigated, there wasn't as much of the Light vs. L interactions that I really enjoy. (And wow, did I find the new Kira to be so boring. Not at all comparable to the real Kira.) Still, it feels like this volume is setting the reader up for something awesome in the future when Light's true plan is revealed.
Michelle Laird
Hayden
Not my favourite installment so far. The main problem was the Yotsuba story line - even though hiding the new Kira's identity was fun, the meeting scenes got a little tedious. However the battle of wits still continues and the ending was gripping so I definitely will be reading on!
Taylor McKines
Slow start finished strong
Grace
i really enjoyed the first volume because of and was looking forward to reading the rest of the books in the series. however, i believe i exceeded my expectations. this volume felt like the past was repeating itself over again.
  • Fullmetal Alchemist (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 3
  • The Adventure of the Yellow Face (The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, #2)
  • Bleach (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 1: Includes vols. 1, 2 & 3
  • Naruto, Vol. 72: Uzumaki Naruto!! (Naruto, #72)
  • Highschool of the Dead, Vol. 5 (Highschool of the Dead, #5)
  • 東京喰種トーキョーグール [Toukyou Kushu] 11 (Tokyo Ghoul, #11)
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion 3-in-1 Edition, Vol. 1: Includes vols. 1, 2 & 3
  • Leave the Window Open (The Archived, #2.5)
1978
Tsugumi Ohba (大場 つぐみ Ōba Tsugumi?, born in Tokyo, Japan) is a writer best known for the manga Death Note. His real identity is a closely guarded secret. As stated by the profile placed at the beginning of each Death Note manga, Ohba collects teacups and develops manga plots while holding his knees on a chair, similar to a habit of L, one of the main characters of the series.

There is speculation th
More about Tsugumi Ohba...

Death Note: Black Edition (6 books)
  • Death Note: Black Edition, Volume 1 (Death Note: Black Edition, #1)
  • Death Note: Black Edition, Volume 2 (Death Note: Black Edition, #2)
  • Death Note: Black Edition, Volume 4 (Death Note: Black Edition #4)
  • Death Note: Black Edition, Volume 5 (Death Note: Black Edition #5)
  • Death Note: Black Edition, Volume 6 (Death Note: Black Edition #6)
Death Note, Vol. 1: Boredom (Death Note, #1) Death Note, Vol. 2: Confluence (Death Note, #2) Death Note, Vol. 3: Hard Run (Death Note, #3) Death Note, Vol. 4: Love (Death Note, #4) Death Note, Vol. 5: Whiteout (Death Note, #5)