Start by marking “101 Foods That Could Save Your Life” as Want to Read:
101 Foods That Could Save Your Life

101 Foods That Could Save Your Life

When it comes to food, nature provides a wealth of delicious choices. But each one also supplies unique health benefits. Leading nutritionist David Grotto reveals a wealth of power foods, from apples to yogurt, and explains why
- A handful of cherries before bed can help you sleep better
- Hot peppers may fight skin cancer
- Potatoes may reduce the risk of stroke
- Grape juic
Published December 26th 2007 by Bantam (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about 101 Foods That Could Save Your Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 101 Foods That Could Save Your Life

Jenny
Feb 05, 2008 Jenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
This isn't a book you can just sit down and read before bed or while on the bus. For me, it's certainly more useful (and fun) as a sort of encyclopedia. I've been going through the index and picking something and then finding out how to fix it. For example, I recently had a bout of heartburn and no tums. I looked up and saw that apples and cranberries can help. Also, since I'm pregnant now I know I need more protein so I looked up protein in the index to find a few more options and recipes rathe ...more
Darlene Gore
101 Foods that could save your life
After doing research on The American Diet “101 Foods that could save your life” by David Grotto, RD, LDN is a book that had some grand idea of eating healthy. This book tells what one should include in their diet and all the reasons why! If one is interested in health, food, eating, & reading about a combination of those things, this is a good book. It can be a reference book, but it is informative and helpful when one is conscious about what to eat. One of
Roberta Frontini (Blogue FLAMES)
This is, for me, a bible!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOVE IT!!! I'm always consulting it <3
Mems Dù
May 12, 2017 Mems Dù rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read a slue of books in this vein over the years> all informative in nature and helpful to a degree (add those buddy guys later). This little gem, is just that: little. It's a quick fun treat with little historical and pop trivia and as an added bonus, for each 101 it gives you storage and longevity tips so as to gain the most sustenance and healing out of the aforementioned 101- CUTE!
It's hard to know if I'm being serious, even for me- CUTE!
Plucino
Oct 31, 2015 Plucino rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: selfhelp-etc, 2015
I dislike self-help books in general but this one is quite a balanced reference book, it's just a pity for the lack of illustrations (even if they came at an additional price).
As for the recipes I find them in general (not here in particular) unreadable, however I realized the need to answer some readers to a "so what then?" after a food's virtues have been exposed.
Good job Mr. Author. Why don't they start a TV series out of this book, there are so many cheap cooking reality shows around!
Ann
Jan 21, 2009 Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 50-in-2009
This books is highly informative and much needed in a time when fad diets tell you to "eat this" or "eat that". This book tells you what you should be including in your diet and all the reasons why! It is inspiring me to make some changes to my regular grocery list.
Carmen
Jun 25, 2008 Carmen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
if you're interested in health, food, eating, & reading about one or a combination of those things this is a good book. it is more of a reference book but it is informative and helpful as i try to be more conscious about what i eat. i think i'm going to buy this one.
Jenny Stringham
Jan 31, 2013 Jenny Stringham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I pull this book out as a reference all the time. My kids are used to me at the dinner table referring to this book and why it's so important that I made such and such. I can usually get a couple of more bites out of my picky eaters :)
Jackie
Mar 02, 2014 Jackie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing really new here. The entries are short and concise but perhaps leaving out information I find help as if a vegetable loses nutrition through cooking or storage. Could have included that info and left out the boring recipes.
Theresa Romano-ross
One of the best and well written books I have read regarding individual foods their nutrient components, health benefits and folklore of the food! Insightful to the average person and informative to any foodie!!!
Melissa
Aug 04, 2011 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a really nifty book with a lot of cool facts about food and why it's beneficial to you. I have had this book for several years and I still refer to it. It also has some pretty good recipes for foods that we don't commonly eat.
Jacqueline115
Feb 26, 2008 Jacqueline115 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health-cookbooks
Very informative and well organized. I think I'll buy my own copy.
Tricia
Mar 28, 2010 Tricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
extremely thorough book--for each food gives back story/history, reasons, home remedies, specific purposes and tips on preparing/selecting/storing.
Chet
Sep 09, 2009 Chet rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
not much, poorly written.
Amanda
Interesting facts about where healthy foods originated, how to shop for and store vegetables, healthy recipes, home remedies, health benefits and disease prevention
Beverly
Lots of interesting information.
Vesra (When She Reads)
Good nutritious facts book.

Full review @ When She Reads
Mar 20, 2008 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm planning to impress my sister the next time she comes to visit by making the dairy-free cupcakes from page 93!
John
John rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2015
Becky Boxberger
Becky Boxberger rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2013
Maryann
Maryann rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2012
Artr
Artr rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2015
Margaret
Margaret rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2015
Matej
Matej rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2015
Syrena
Syrena rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2010
Vânia
Vânia rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2013
Mike
Mike rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2014
Thidarat
Thidarat rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2014
Katie Meegan
Katie Meegan rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • 1,001 Low-Carb Recipes: Hundreds of Delicious Recipes from Dinner to Dessert That Let You Live Your Low-Carb Lifestyle and Never Look Back
  • I Can't Believe It's Not Fattening!: Over 150 Ridiculously Easy Recipes for the Super Busy
  • Conscious Eating
  • The Paleo Diet Cookbook: More Than 150 Recipes for Paleo Breakfasts, Lunches, Dinners, Snacks, and Beverages
  • The Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book: A Guide to Whole-Grain Breadmaking
  • Lucid Food: Cooking for an Eco-Conscious Life
  • The Master Your Metabolism Cookbook
  • BabyCakes Covers the Classics: Gluten-Free Vegan Recipes from Donuts to Snickerdoodles
  • The Primal Blueprint Cookbook
  • Green for Life
  • Eating for Beauty
  • The Doctors Book of Food Remedies: The Latest Findings on the Power of Food to Treat and Prevent Health Problems - From Aging and Diabetes to Ulcers and Yeast Infections
  • Buzz: The Science and Lore of Alcohol and Caffeine
  • The Dukan Diet
  • The 17 Day Diet: A Doctor's Plan Designed for Rapid Results
  • The 10 Things You Need to Eat: And More Than 100 Easy and Delicious Ways to Prepare Them
  • The Petite Advantage Diet: Achieve That Long, Lean Look. The Specialized Plan for Women 5'4" and Under.
  • New Choices in Natural Healing: Over 1,800 of the Best Self-Help Remedies from the World of Alternative Medicine