Start by marking “Proximity: A Novel of the Navy's Elite Bomb Squad” as Want to Read:
Proximity: A Novel of the Navy's Elite Bomb Squad
Preview

Proximity: A Novel of the Navy's Elite Bomb Squad

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  117 ratings  ·  15 reviews
EOD-"It's a lot like brain surgery, except if we screw up the patient detonates....Oh yeah, and we do it underwater."
- A Navy EOD Technician

The Sailors of the United States Navy Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) community "perform under pressure" in the hazardous job of bomb disposal, often deep beneath the sea...alone.

An EOD Technician must have the brains of an engine

Published June 1st 2007 by Xlibris (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Proximity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Proximity

Trish Bodine
Good book. Written well enough that a non EOD person could follow the story. The substory of family life for military personnel, especially those in high stress MOS areas, was real and just as subtle as the subtext is in life. Well written and I would recommend to any person that is interested in mystery or military stories.
Don
A novel of the navy's bomb disposal squad. Probably liked it because I can identify with the characters. Very real emotions.
Mike Tinston
Good book. Interesting twists. Quite fun overall.
Heidi
I really enjoyed Proximity: A Novel of the Navy's Elite Bomb Squad. Since Proximity is written by a former Special Operations Officer and Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, I figured it would have a decent plot with overly analytical details of EOD operations. I couldn't have been more wrong.

What I found was a very engaging and sympathetic main character, trying to balance the danger of his job with the security of his family. The story is very character driven, which was a pleasant surpri
Mya
Proximity...Being close to something...In the vicinity at least. Okay, I had to get that straight in my head before I began to summarize this book. Why? Because the big reveal at the end of the book plays on that word a lot.

Okay, when I initially picked this book up, I was in need of a letter/number fix of the military type. You know, the AK-47/ B-52/ EOD/ M-16/ SH-60B Seahawk type of balls to the wall, procedure and pomp kind of tale. I expected nail-biting relations of bombs diffused, nerves
Cindi Gallagher
I enjoyed the insight into the Navy's EOD community and the detailed characters but it ended with me wishing for a bit more resolution to all the plot loose ends.
Virginia
How life evolves from the career one chooses. e-book. read 2014. See Amazon review.
Rich
This book was good. Not great. The Navy references were good. Cannot claim that any of the scenearios were unrealistic though. My experience with EOD was brief.... and the fact that one of their Det's was across the street from my office.

Sometimes the story transitioned with seeming big gaps that could have been filled in a little bit better.

Worth the read, just won't win any prizes.
Dale Knepp
Good story needs some editing

The story was well told and kept my interest the whole time. The only down side with the kindle edition was that it needed better formatting. When scenes changed there was no spacing in the book so it took a sentence or two till you realized the book was now at a different location.
Gunnar
Couldn't get past the opening. Lots of telling and explanation, and while a meaty story can support that, it works so much better when it's worked into the story rather than being tacked on top. Gave up at about 15%.
Chris Bridson
I made it to chapter nine before I couldn't take any more of the slow pace. The minute details of diffusing a bomb just don't interest me to any extent. Maybe the story gets better later on, but if the beginning is any indication of the overall work then I don't think I'm missing too much.
Arthur Rabinovitz
I enjoyed this book. There were many twists and turns and the author held my interest.
The climax though was a little anticlimactic
IMHO not enough was made of it
Carolyn
Flimsy plot, mediocre characterization. Good, I guess, if you're more interested than I am about the details of bomb demolition.
Cindy Barnett
Interesting story of brave men in a dangerous job, good character development, author stated "based on fact."
John
Good book. It was not at all what I expected it to be, but I enjoyed it just the same.
Shadi
Shadi added it
Apr 17, 2015
Charlie Brown
Charlie Brown marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Familyreader
Familyreader marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Rhonda
Rhonda marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
E.
E. marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Nola Roden
Nola Roden marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Doug
Doug marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Aron Russell
Aron Russell marked it as to-read
Carmen
Carmen added it
Carl
Carl added it
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Command Posts: Avoiding the Publishing of Classified Material 3 20 Nov 22, 2014 09:25AM
  • Flames (The Guild of the Cowry Catchers, #2)
  • Omaha Beach: D-Day, June 6, 1944
  • The Millstone Prophecy
  • Enemy in Blue: The Chase (The Cruz Marquez Thrillers, #1)
  • No Good Deed (Mark Taylor, #1)
  • Superbia
  • Cloak
  • Taking Out the Trailer Trash
  • No Cure For Murder
  • Devil's Keep (Bravo Cell One Nine, #1)
  • The Moose Jaw
  • The Penal Colony
  • The Gemini Factor
  • Dead Man's Hand
  • VEILED MIRROR
  • Burnt Offerings
  • Unspoken
  • Monday Night Jihad
Stephen Phillips is a 1992 graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy. He served in the U.S. Navy as a Special Operations Officer and Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician at EOD Mobile Units Six, Eight, and Ten. Steve is the award-winning author of "Proximity: A Novel of the Navy's Elite Bomb Squad," and the forthcoming novel about the Naval Academy; "The Recipient's Son."

Steve is a member of the Milita
More about Stephen Phillips...
The Recipient's Son: A Novel of Honor