Regretsy: The World's Oddest, Most Ridiculous, and Most Disturbing Crafts

Regretsy: The World's Oddest, Most Ridiculous, and Most Disturbing Crafts

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  761 ratings  ·  99 reviews
HANDMADE? IT LOOKS LIKE YOU MADE IT WITH YOUR FEET.

A chicken poncho. A painting of a corn dog. A clock made out of an old “mostly clean” cheese grater. All this and more await you in the pages of Regretsy, a veritable sideshow of handcrafts gone wrong. Based on the eponymous hit blog and arranged in categories such as Décor, Pet Humiliation, and Christmas, Regretsy showcas...more
Published April 6th 2010 by Villard (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Regretsy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Regretsy

PostSecret by Frank WarrenA Lifetime of Secrets by Frank WarrenPostSecret by Frank WarrenMy Secret by Frank WarrenPassive Aggressive Notes by Kerry Miller
Found, Submitted
11th out of 53 books — 28 voters
Alice in Tumblr-land by Tim ManleyCake Wrecks by Jen YatesHyperbole and a Half by Allie BroshDamn You, Autocorrect! by Jillian MadisonSh*t My Dad Says by Justin Halpern
You've seen the blog. Now read the book!
7th out of 32 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Melki
"I still don't understand what would motivate a person to macrame an owl."
Jennifer Grant, creator of The Chicken Poncho

About twenty years ago, you couldn't stumble out the door of your home without smacking into a craft show. They were everywhere! Malls, schools, gas station parking lots...all were appropriate settings for the vending of fine, handmade merchandise, such as crocheted potholders, praying hands bookends, toilet paper cozies, and psychedelic ceramic snails. But over the past several...more
Loki (of Smartassgard)
Wow... just wow.

Show of hands, who wants the following items:
- Phallic crocheted chapstick cover
- Bedazzled hand felted tampon finger puppet
- Michael Jackson as the Virgin Mary, holding Emmanuel Lewis as the Christ child

*crickets chirp*

Yeah, it goes there. This just hilarious!

Melody
It's a blog, no- it's a book! It's a blog in a book. This one works. The introductions to each chapter are snarky and warm at the same time. Winchell's voice is very strong and reading her intros made me smile. The crafts themselves are... well, there just aren't words to cover all of them. Winchell's commentary on the crafts is hilarious. My favorite part, though, was the end, where the crafters got to speak their pieces.

Highly recommended for the snarky and the crafty and the thick-skinned.
frogfairie
Mostly just an "ok" book but I must admit to giggling hilariously at a few parts. The pictures make you wonder what the artist was thinking that would inspire such a bizarre creation but the best parts are the comments by the author for each item.
Christy
Books based upon popular humor blogs are all the rage right now, but "Regretsy: Where DIY Meets WTF" raises the bar. Supplementing old favorites with new art and crafts from some of the beloved (or infamous, as it may be) featured sellers on the hit blog, April Winchell's hilarious book is also a great read! Excellently written essays introduce each chapter and repeatedly show why Winchell was voted 21st funniest person in LA (according to Los Angeles Magazine). Winchell's wit, intelligence and...more
Kandice
April Winchell enjoyed searching Etsy for out-of-this-world crafts. She thought it would be fun to start a blog, Regretsy, featuring her finds with added commentary. Little did she know, her blog would get so much attention. This books features her favourites. I had some great laughs, but best of all, it made me feel extremely talented and mentally stable :-)
Amber Koppenhofer
This book is ROTFLMAO HILARIOUS!!!! If you are into handmade items and have a bizarre sense of humor, I highly recommend this book. Author, Winchell, tells comedic personal stories in montages to introduce each chapter. This book could easily be read in an hour or two, so if you want something light and just need a break from that intense novel, this is the book to pick up.
Meredith
I've been a fan of Regretsy for a while know. Ever since my sister-in-law sent me a link to a catnip filled penis toy. I was hooked. fish line and sinker. This book is just as great as the site. April's witty humor and fabulous tag lines compliment the items highlighted perfectly. And I just might have to buy those serial killer pillowcases.
Jackie
May 01, 2010 Jackie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
If you're ever feeling like you're a bit too weird for the world to handle, flip open this book and you'll feel a tad bit more normal. Oh, and you might just laugh your ass off! The posts that this book features are funny, sure, but what makes them fall-down hilarious is the author's take on them!
Cherdan Helena
Just loved it. The introductions to each section can be a little extraneous, but she is a brilliantly funny writer, and her writeups on each item make the book. I would definitely read anything she comes out with.
Nicole
Regretsy is the substance in my life that gives it meaning. Which isn't exactly saying much seeing as I'm 25 and still live with my parents, but beggers can't be choosers.
Chibineko
I've been a lurker on Regretsy for a while now & when I discovered that there was going to be a *book* of some of the various crafts that have been on the site, I immediately picked it up. Then I showed it to everyone else at my part-time job. Let's just say that for the next hour everyone spent more time giggling over the contents & less time actually selling books. (Although I did end up showing a customer this book, must to his delight. In return he introduced me to Cake Wrecks.)

This...more
Annie
April Winchester and her army of reviewers on regretsy dot com and in this book put some depth into what it means to be snarky. Despite the whining complaints of those who think the comments are mean (and miss the points), what is happening here is many faceted.

There's a lot of good, beautiful, genuine handmade stuff on Etsy, the site that Regretsy is mainly focused on. Or at least there was when first it started out. Over the years, some crazy stuff has been creeping into the offers at Etsy, st...more
Kristina Jo
My sister got this for me for Christmas last year. While I wasn't incapacitated by laughter, I found the snark to be exactly the kinds of things my sister would say (I think Winchell and my sister are somehow mentally synced up. Really. Bluetooth just for the snarkitude.) or the kinds of things I'd wish I'd said, but only think up hours later (that is, if this were a real-time conversation, not a months-and-months-to-put-it-together book). While I may not go back and read this book every year (I...more
Jessica
I think Winchell should open up a museum featuring all the crafted items in this book...just like the Museum of Bad Art. I alternated between Huh?, Eeeee-uuuuu, and LMAO. Very entertaining but not for those easily offended.
Spoonbridge
I had not been familiar with Regretsy, April Winchell's website devoted to chronicling the weirdness of Etsy, where the Internet sells its arts and crafts. Quite a humorous little book, and it sparked me to bookmark the site. I've purchased a few things from Etsy over the years and have always been pleased with my purchases, but there are certainly a lot of odd things out there and April Winchell has a really witty writing style that suits the bizarre, kooky, and "unique" crafts sold on the webs...more
Rachel G.
I'm a big fan of Regretsy and April's writing on the site, so I decided to try the book, since I think Etsy is such an interesting manifestation of American culture: an obsession with consumption to the point of being ridiculous, and the DIY concept. I liked the little bit of writing in the book (mostly the chapter introductions), and the photos/products were funny as always, but I was hoping for something slightly... more than the site. (I also found it a bit short). I also was kind of annoyed...more
Catherine
Reading this book was like having a two hour conversation with an asshole! Unpleasant! I think the idea is an all right one, as far as blog-to-book ideas go, but honestly, the snark levels were unbalanced to me. I wasn't even going to write a review about how I think April Winchell comes across as an asshole, but then I read that god-awful epilogue about how it's her goddamn duty to tell people about how they're fucking stupid, and I was just like, "Man, you're right, I have to go write a review...more
Cheryl
I really wanted to love this book -- heck, one of my creations is in it. Published at close to the peak of Regretsy's initial popularity, I had high hopes but April's trademark foul mouth and cutting remarks had been toned way down for publication to a potential wider market. It's still a pretty good look at some of the key types of stupid crafting that started sprouting up in DIY marketplaces like Etsy (and others) but without the full impact of the sarcasm and, frankly, mean-spirited comments...more
Jane Lebak
I read this while sick in a doctor's office, which I think was the perfect place to read it. :-) I really enjoy the Regretsy blog, and this maintains the feel of the blog. It's divided into sections for different types of crafts-gone-wrong, and each section begins with two or three pages by April Winchell. I really enjoyed those sections because of her sense of humor (a bit twisted, a bit vulnerable, but very insightful). The only reason I didn't give it five stars was that overall I wished she'...more
Kimberlee
laughing while knitting a fake fur cozy....
Beth
May 12, 2014 Beth rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: humor
Not as funny as I was hoping. Bizarre items yes, witty commentary? meh.
Rachel Smalter Hall
It's all right there, in the chapter entitled WTF: "Fish in a Squirrel Suit Taxidermy," "Phallic Chapstick Cozy," "Doll Heads in a Bowl of Brussels Sprouts." Or perhaps you'll enjoy "Bertha the Pregnant, Birthing, Nursing Sock Monkey," or the "You Pick Two: Serial Killer Pillows."

Set-off by just the right amount of acerbic text, these images, plunged straight from the deep, dark bowels of Etsy crafting hell, really speak for themselves. Thanks for another great Christmas present, Sis!
Kurt B.
Let's not kid ourselves: This is basically a perfect-bound blog. But damn, it's funny. As someone who has witnessed and made plenty of horrible crafts, this book make me belly laugh many, many times. And April's introductions to each chapter temper the snarkiness of the individual entries wonderfully. My only, um, regret is that the editors didn't figure out a way to integrate some of the appendices better, to create a richer reading experience. Putting all that text at the end seems clunky.
Bree
Feb 05, 2012 Bree rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: humor
I did find myself thing WTF were these people thinking. I also wished I could share this with my sister at the time. I think I would have laughed a lot harder if I would have had her input instead because she loves browsing through Etsy. This book falls along the lines of "Cake Wrecks" and "PeopleofWalmart.com". Many emotions from this small book: confusion, horrified, confusion, giddiness, sadness, and confusion.
Shannon Vanderhyde
It was a cute, fast read.
Marianna
An okay book. The items under scrutiny were...interesting. My favorites were the dolls with babies coming out of the baby hole (wink wink) with attached placentas, and I just loved those serial killer pillow cases (creeepy...).

Esty...the new place for young men to look for lady parts made out of various materials. This is what I learned. Esty is full of lady parts, apparently.
Melissa Bond
A quick visual read of all that can go wrong (or right) in the world of crafting. I found the majority of the pics absolutely hilarious, the commentary fitting. I did get tired of the long, repetitive and crude introductions and epilogue. There are just so many times I can read curse words back to back without thinking the book should be featured on Regretsy itself.
Voracious
Much fun. I hadn't realised it was the "book of the website", so to speak. If I had, I'd probably just have gone and played round on the site.

Some truly outstanding bad handcrafts, and a few glimpses of some individuals' terrifyingly weird minds. I really did laugh out loud several times. The author's funny.

Would be a good book to leave by the loo.
marmix
After recently spending lots of time at etsy.com to purchase a lot of nonsense for an upcoming little one's first birthday party, I could truly appreciate the hilarity of this book. How had I never heard of regretsy.com before? I literally cried from laughing so hard at some of the "art" and author's comments in here.
  • Passive Aggressive Notes: Painfully Polite and Hilariously Hostile Writings
  • Sh*t My Kids Ruined: An A-Z Celebration of Kid-Destruction
  • I Lick My Cheese And Other Notes: From The Frontline Of Flatsharing
  • People of Walmart: Shop and Awe
  • Signspotting: Absurd and Amusing Signs from Around the World
  • Awkward Family Photos
  • The Book of "Unnecessary" Quotation Marks: A Celebration of Creative Punctuation
  • Cake Wrecks: When Professional Cakes Go Hilariously Wrong
  • Found II: More of the Best Lost, Tossed, and Forgotten Items from Around the World
  • Milk Eggs Vodka: Grocery Lists Lost and Found
  • I Judge You When You Use Poor Grammar: A Collection of Egregious Errors, Disconcerting Bloopers, and Other Linguistic Slip-Ups
  • Damn You, Autocorrect!: Awesomely Embarrassing Text Messages You Didn't Mean to Send
  • The Gallery of Regrettable Food: Highlights from Classic American Recipe Books
  • When Parents Text: So Much Said...So Little Understood
  • The Customer Is Not Always Right: Hilarious and Horrific Tales of Customers Gone Wrong
  • P.S. I Hate it Here: Kids' Letters from Camp
  • PostSecret: Confessions on Life, Death, and God
  • Dear Old Love: Anonymous Notes to Former Crushes, Sweethearts, Husbands, Wives, &  Ones That Got Away
Regretsy's Big Book of Fabricated Folktales from Finland regretsy Where DIY meets WTF