Start by marking “Steady Days: A Journey Toward Intentional, Professional Motherhood” as Want to Read:
Steady Days: A Journey Toward Intentional, Professional Motherhood

Steady Days: A Journey Toward Intentional, Professional Motherhood

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  241 ratings  ·  52 reviews
You can apply the same techniques of efficiency, intention, and purpose that you've used in other careers to your most important position in life-motherhood. Steady Days takes you through the process of becoming a professional mother: one who is organized and excited to spend time with your young children. If you've ever felt overwhelmed by a lack of direction in your pare ...more
Published December 31st 2009 by Infused Communications

To ask other readers questions about Steady Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Steady Days

Jileen
This is not a long book but I found a lot of good information for my life as a mother. For starters, I love the title - Steady Days: A Journey toward intentional, professional motherhood. So often I have found myself just letting the day happen. This book encourages mothers to have a plan - be intentional. You can use the methods in this book for a strict schedule or not so much, which is what I like. The author does it in a way that isn't crammed down your throat and doesn't make you feel guilt ...more
Jill
I'm not sure if I should give this three or four stars. The information contained in here is good, though a bit obvious. Sometimes as a mother, I get so burdened with the smallness of every day survival, even seemingly obvious points need reiterating. This was a good vehicle for that.

It was more like a book of essays, or a compilation of blog posts with a similar label. I liked her ideas and her perspective. I love the line of "journey toward intentional and professional motherhood". Motherhood
Leandra Cate
"Even though I have a nannny/housekeeper a couple times a week, and an involved husband, and my children are all fab nap-takers and play-aloners, I still have to plop all the kids in front of the TV for an hour a day. Hey, it takes time to make all those 3 ring binders!!"

Well, a lot of what she says resonates with me and I love that she is quick to say she's not the expert - you are and that she admits to flaws -- still, there's something brainwashy about this book (maybe the repeated illustrati
Meghan
I got this book as part of a giveaway. I probably wouldn't have chosen to read it if it weren't sitting in my house. That said, I got a lot out of it--particularly her suggestions for establishing a routine with kids that is diverse and fun. I have trouble playing with my daughter, because sometimes it feels like if I start, I'll have to play with her all day. The book recommends marking specific times for specific activities.

Martin casts vision for being intentional in our days with our kids,
Sara
This is a great resource for both working moms and stay at home moms. One of my favorite quotes from the book is "A Steady Heart contains a sense of purpose, the idea that you know why you are doing what you're doing, even down to the most mundane of tasks. Everything is involved in the big picture, so everything is important. A steady heart comes from focusing on the end goal of raising our children into amazing individuals of character and influence."
Melissa
This book is okay-- mostly composed of obvious stuff like organization and a flexible schedule for not losing your mind and wasting your days home with babies. Some kind of goofy ideas like making a bulletin board in your house to provide structure for learning-- not really necessary but okay. A good starting point for someone who is lost at home...

It does have some scripture and other Jesus-y stuff in it, which is fine, but neither the product description on Amazon or the book jacket indicates
I read a glowing review of this book somewhere and picked it up because I'm always looking for something to inspire me as a SAHM. I skimmed it in an hour and can't say that there is anything I'll take away from it. She emphasizes the importance of organization and routine and lots of 3 ring binders (but then you have lots of binders taking up space!).

Somehow she also manages the amazing feat of getting all 3 of her kids to routinely play alone in their rooms and/or alone in different corners of
Kelsey
This title gave me the focus I was looking for on motherhood. I crave structure, not strict structure for fear of boredom, just enough so that I feel productive. As if the blocks of time I spend are showing me I completed something other than the given occupation of keeping the children feed, clean and safe. Observing my 2 1/2-yr-old tells me she prefers a dependable schedule too. I think this will give us both something to look forward to if we create a pattern for the week.
Stephanie
I keep taking this book off of my shelf and referring to it. Not only for the good, easy to execute ideas, but also for the inspiring wisdom of this mother. I know at my age I should have this motherhood thing figured out, but I do not! I still need to steal some ideas here and there to get me through the ever changing phases of my life and my kids' lives. This book is an excellent resource for me:)
J.j.
I love the concept, I love the inspiration to turn your role as a mother into a more professional position - meaning, to do it with intention instead of just rambling through your days. There are lots of great ideas in here as far as setting up your day for more regularity, for providing intentional learning at home, and for recognizing those moments of wonder/grace/happiness in the little moments.
Stephanie

I've read Jamie's blog for a while and was excited to come across this book at my local library.

There are four parts to the book: Getting Organized, Retaining Enthusiasm, Learning Together, and Making Memories. Under each of these categories are short chapters that are easy to read and full of practical insights and ideas that are simple to incorporate into everyday life.

I love her approach on motherhood as being a profession and therefore requiring as much purpose, creativity, and thought as
Meredith Henning
This was a nice quick read with some good ideas. Mostly for moms with little kids, but overall the principles can apply to all moms and parents in general.
L
I got this ebook in a book bundle package. It is an great read for a newer professional mom. I liked her tone & delivery. She provided some great resources and referenced some solid content she pulled from. While I'm a mom of older kids and found some suggestions things I've read before, I could really see a younger mom finding this a good overview book to pull from in terms of organizing and enjoying a chaotic life with little ones.
Lynnea
This book was very simple, very easy to read with extremely short chapters, and an overall encouragement to mothers with small children. This book would have been great for me ten years ago and, in fact, many of the tips she writes about I used. The idea of having a flexible structure to each day to make it "steady" is so important and really makes a positive difference! Had I read this book a decade ago I probably would have given it five stars.

I love how she talks about doing things not just f
Katie F
Jamie C. Martin is a woman after my own heart. This book inspires, encourages and equips you with practical advice to be the best "professional mother" you can be. A quick read, but I loved every second.
Erin

I was hoping for more info on time management and scheduling. The sample routines given were the most useful part of the book. Unfortunately, I had already pretty much settled on a routine I was happy with before I read this. Most of the book is common sense and extra filler. The suggestions to make memory books, learning books, scrapbooks etc. sound very time consuming in themselves and her routines never scheduled time for doing these things. The overall tone was pleasant and reassuring. Altho
Mystie Winckler
I read this out of curiosity from the subtitle, since I've been in online conversations about whether or not "professional" is a good adjective for mothering. Although using that adjective never bothered me before, it now does after reading this book.

Perhaps this might be an ok book for a thirty-something career woman turned stay-at-home mom who feels lost, but since that is nowhere near my experience, I didn't really care for this book at all. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't good.
Annmarie
This book really helped me get organized, set priorities and goals in all areas of life. Taking care of kids, house, plus other interests and professional goals, can all be part of the same purpose. I am lessed stressed out and value what I am presently doing after reading this book, and I often go back and re-read parts of it when I start to feel like I'm losing my mind!
Child960801
I could feel the author leaving out references to her faith and her beliefs, I think to make it more accessible to all. This book has created a lot of discussion in my circle of friends as we seek to raise our children as best we can. I appreciate the short chapters and the friendly, non judgemental tone of this book. I'm recommending it to everyone.
Betsie
I really resisted reading this book, because I don't like having my time scheduled. I did finally give in after Amazon kept recommending it to me :o) I love this book and it is revolutionizing my life. Now when we veer away from the routine, I can feel it pulling me back. I never knew how much I could enjoy a steady day!
lucy by the sea
Ew. This book made me cringe. Underneath all her preachy, icky, rich lady crap I reckon the author and I probably share some similar values, like raising children in a respectful, peaceful way. You have to dig through a whole bunch of yuck to get to those values though.
Jaime
Nothing earth-shattering here. She gives tips and ideas that seem to work well for her family, but also gives permission to other moms to find their own schedules and tools. I respect that. I cannot imagine having so many three-ring binder systems for organizing my life, though.
Imene
An honest true book about motherhood. I wish it was written some years back to help me with the daily business of being a mother.
How to organize a day, set up a schedule, what activities for which age. Not the usual feel bad parenting advice but a true honest parenting advice.
Kelli Christenberry
Dec 13, 2012 Kelli Christenberry rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Young moms
It's a good practical read for young moms. If you need a jump start on organizing or need to know how to effectively schedule your busy family's hectic days from chaos to calm, this book has some great thoughts to help you evaluate and personalize a schedule for you.
Traci
A straightforward, honest and helpful book of tips for making motherhood joyful, simplified, and do-able. I liked the non-dogmatic approach to sharing ideas and felt inspired to do my job as mommy better and with more joy, more pride, and less frustration.
Katie
Good info, but not a lot of "how-to" application. It's a lot of stuff you've heard before and still leaves you wondering how to apply it to your life. Each chapter is only a page or so long, and barely scratches the surface of what could be discussed.
Ljugant
Excellent book for any woman who is trying to understand how to make motherhood a career! It is broken up in a way that made it easy to read just a handful of pages a day while nursing. Gave me a lot of great ideas. Her blog is great to browse too.
Heather
Simple, easy read, but has some good insights. (I read this in one day.) Jamie Martin explains a lot of principles she has learned to help their family have steady days. I learned many things, and got some great ideas to implement in our home.
I love this book! It wonderful to see a new generation of women embracing intentional motherhood, actually being present with your children. Something that was few and far between in the 1970's and 1980's and well...especially now.
Tori
Jamie lays out a practical, helpful book for at-home and working moms alike. In small digestible chunks she helps the reader sort through their own desires and styles of parenting, housekeeping, and general lifestyle choices.
  • The Rhythm of Family: Discovering a Sense of Wonder through the Seasons
  • Living Simply with Children: A Voluntary Simplicity Guide for Moms, Dads, and Kids Who Want to Reclaim the Bliss of Childhood and the Joy of Parenting
  • A Mother's Heart: A Look at Values, Vision, and Character for the Christian Mother
  • Heaven on Earth: A Handbook for Parents of Young Children
  • Seven Times the Sun: Guiding Your Child Through the Rhythms of the Day
  • Calm and Compassionate Children: A Handbook
  • Playful Learning: Develop Your Child's Sense of Joy and Wonder
  • Beyond the Rainbow Bridge: Nurturing Our Children from Birth to Seven
  • Sacred Parenting: How Raising Children Shapes Our Souls
  • Discipline Without Distress: 135 Tools for Raising Caring, Responsible Children Without Time-Out, Spanking, Punishment, or Bribery
  • Fifteen Minutes Outside: 365 Ways to Get Out of the House and Connect with Your Kids
  • Writing Motherhood: Tapping Into Your Creativity as a Mother and a Writer
  • Everyday Blessings: The Inner Work of Mindful Parenting
  • Respectful Parents, Respectful Kids: 7 Keys to Turn Family Conflict into Cooperation
  • The Book of New Family Traditions: How to Create Great Rituals for Holidays and Every Day
  • I Love Dirt!: 52 Activities to Help You and Your Kids Discover the Wonders of Nature
  • Grace Based Parenting: Set Your Family Free
Jamie immersed herself in motherhood by adding all three of her kids to the family in less than three years.

The ensuing challenges (and occasional chaos!) sent Jamie on the lookout for ways to parent with purpose and professionalism.

Jamie writes about intentional motherhood at SteadyMom.com and about home education at SimpleHomeschool.net. She is the author of 'Steady Days: A Journey Toward Intent
More about Jamie C. Martin...
Mindset for Moms: From Mundane to Marvelous Thinking in Just 30 Days Secrets of a Successful Homeschool Mom The Steady Mom's Freedom Guide

“Organization is a priority for me because it blesses my children. Even without considering the benefits of productivity or efficiency, the stability of my children depends on my organization.” 3 likes
“that’s the key—whatever you try to change must be of such value to you that you will want to continue forward, even in the midst of challenges.” 0 likes