Start by marking “Knight of the Demon Queen” as Want to Read:
Knight of the Demon Queen

Knight of the Demon Queen (Winterlands #3)

Once the most powerful mage in the land, Jenny Waynest is now a broken woman. After being possessed and corrupted by the demon Amayon, she lost everything she holds dear--even the trust of her husband. Yet Lord John Aversin has torments of his own: memories of the beautiful and cruel Aohila, demon queen of a rival hell, whom he'd tricked into providing the help he needed t ...more
Published July 22nd 2009 by Del Rey (first published February 8th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Knight of the Demon Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knight of the Demon Queen

Bookwraiths
Nov 19, 2012 Bookwraiths rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Dragonshadow was a book mainly about demons ruining the lives of our main characters. So how can Barbara Hambly top that you ask?

Oh, yeah of little faith. I mean, all she has to do is send our favorite characters to hell both physically and mentally, torture them a bit more, make them treat each other like dirt, and basically turn up the depressive “realism” to extra high max degrees.

Our main characters, John Aversin and Jenny Waynest, are broken people here; all signs of their previous normal b
Varin
May 30, 2009 Varin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I love Barbara Hambly's writing, but I cannot read this book. She sent the characters to hell in the last book and I read the first sentence of this one, burst into tears, and put the book down.

Korynn
Feb 24, 2008 Korynn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fifantasy
The story begins with the characters broken from the last book and searching for ways to recover from events. But it gets worse. If you are seeking a fantasy novels of fun and games and hope, stop, this is not your book. This is a depressing tome about how Lord John Aversin seeks a cure for his wife and son, a safety for his people from demons, and a quest in which he travels into worlds unfamiliar and akin to ours. Especially jarring is his visit into a world similar but technically advanced to ...more
Samantha
Feb 13, 2011 Samantha rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I started this one but stopped reading after about a third of the book. I haven't been able to pick it back up and it's been several months. I think I'm just in a time where I don't want to read particularly dark and dismal books. Since I haven't finished this one, I don't know if it has a happy ending or not but I don't want to wade through the dark to get there right now.
Jim
Aug 31, 2012 Jim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
(view spoiler) ...more
Jaipal
Jul 24, 2012 Jaipal rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is quite dark and I was going what is going on. It was then I found out that the author was going through a bad patch in her life and it showed in her writing. All in all, it is a good read, except you just wished the characters did not have to go through such a rough spot. If you loved the first book, and do not want the idealistic picture to be shattered, do not read this book. But if you do, things improve in the next book, so it is worth going on.
Lurple
Jan 27, 2011 Lurple rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first book in this trilogy, Dragonsbane was one of my favorites as a teen, and it was years before I realized there were sequels. Unfortunately I was kind of turned off by the later books do to their focus on the very unhappy Jenny. Still a good book, I just didn't like the way the series turned out.
Judith
Dec 20, 2009 Judith rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the characters but found the time in Hell for John to get somewhat boring and repetitive. THe ending was a surprise though.
Felicity
Jun 28, 2010 Felicity rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
sabisteb
Mar 18, 2011 sabisteb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Band 4: Der Drachentöter:
Dieser Band steht ganz unter dem großen Thema der Selbstfindung. Jenny hat ihre Magie immer noch nicht zurückgewonnen bis sie zu sich selbst findet und sich akzeptiert wie sie ist und lernt ihre Kräfte aus ihrer Vergangeheit, ihrer Gegenwart und ihrem Selbst zu schöpfen.
Die Dämonen haben eine Seuche ins Königreich Bel geschickt und begonnen die Körper der Toten zu übernehmen. Der letzte Kampf unter dem Drachenstern hat begonnen und nur Jenny, John und Morkeleb können das
sabisteb
Mar 10, 2011 sabisteb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Dieser Band ist fast als sozialkritisch zu bezeichnen. John bereist Höllen, von denen eine eigentlich ein Paradies erscheint. Alles ist wunderschön und lieblich, nur die Lebenwesen erweisen sich als gefählich und grausam.
Eine der Höllen stellt sich nach einiger Zeit als eine weitere "normale" Welt der Menschen heraus, obwohl sie eigentlich fast schlimmer als einige der Höllen erscheint. Es ist eine Welt, die der unseren sehr ähnlich ist. Eine Welt in der "augenscheinlich nur die Armen fett sind"
William Leight
Jun 21, 2015 William Leight rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first obviously transitional book in the Dragonsbane series, this one is just as enjoyable as its predecessor, even if it doesn't reach the heights of the first book. Having wisely concluded that the theme of John and Jenny's relationship needs a break, Hambly sends John off adventuring into various Hells, finally concluding in a world which has some aspects -- technology, pollution, global warming, ubiquitous advertising -- of our own, if vastly exaggerated. These new settings give Hambly a ...more
Nicole Luiken
Dec 28, 2016 Nicole Luiken rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sfantasy
Continuing my reread of this series. I love Hambly's writing: the depth of characterization, strong pacing and a depth of world-building. For instance, John spends most of his plotline on a different world. At first I thought Oh, it's our world, but no, it's much more subtle than that: an urban landscape and dystopia that runs on etheric relays and is slowly drowning. Great stuff. Since this is part of a larger story arc it ended on a big cliffhanger, to be continued in Dragonstar.
Rebecca Huston
Sep 16, 2010 Rebecca Huston rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, series
Interesting entry in the series, and with a whallop of an ending that leaves the reader hanging, but this one still didn't quite meet my expectations. This goes in a very different direction, and has a very dark and rather hopeless feel to it. Here's hoping that the fourth book will be better. Just barely four stars and somewhat recommended.

For the longer review, please go here:
Pkeets
Aug 08, 2013 Pkeets rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book. I love the way Barbara Hambly makes here characters seem so alive and entertaining. It's part of a series that I've recently discovered, and I had to look for all of them. The characters struggle against the evils and problems within their own lives. They suffer losses, but managed to prevail in the end.
Abigail Jes
Jul 19, 2015 Abigail Jes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read this book before, many years ago. The first two books of the series were difficult for me to put down, but this one was not as easy to finish. I still love the characters and their world, but parts of this book seemed to drag on for far too long. I still recommend this book.
Sophia
May 24, 2016 Sophia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
hab die letzen 200 seiten übersprungen, war nicht so spannend.
Terry
Not up to Hambly's standards of storytelling and character development, this volume of the Winterlands series is a weak link, however, it is still better than much fantasy writing.
Helen
Mar 31, 2011 Helen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
cliffhanger ending, good plot & characters
Emmanuelle
Jul 06, 2014 Emmanuelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much better, for me, than the precedent. My only problem was with the last part of the journey of John Aversin.
Peggy
Peggy rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2014
LoioshGrr
LoioshGrr rated it did not like it
Mar 30, 2017
Myria
Myria rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2015
Danielle Quayle
Danielle Quayle rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2017
T.
T. rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2012
Holly Kwan
Holly Kwan rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2013
Allisonwcraig
Allisonwcraig rated it really liked it
May 24, 2012
Sierra
Sierra rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2013
Daniel Perkins
Daniel Perkins rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2014
Deb
Deb rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2008
  • The Shattered City (Creature Court, #2)
  • Whiskey and Water (Promethean Age, #2)
  • Rituals (Rhapsody of Blood, #1)
  • The Folded World (A Dirge for Prester John, #2)
  • St. Patrick's Gargoyle
  • Luck of the Wheels (Windsingers, #4)
  • At Sword's Point (Knights of the Blood, #2)
  • Death's Master (Flat Earth, #2)
  • When the Saints (The Brothers Magnus, #2)
  • The Dragon Quintet
  • The Hidden Dragon: The Stargods #1
  • Fortress of Dragons (Fortress, #4)
  • Spirits of Flux and Anchor (Soul Rider, #1)
  • The Coldfire Trilogy: Black Sun Rising/ When True Night Falls/ Crown of Shadows
  • The Novels of the Jaran: Jaran / An Earthly Crown / His Conquering Sword / The Law of Becoming (Jaran, #1-4)
  • The Porcelain Dove
  • Mistress of Dragons (The Dragonvarld Trilogy, #1)
aka Barbara Hamilton

Ranging from fantasy to historical fiction, Barbara Hambly has a masterful way of spinning a story. Her twisty plots involve memorable characters, lavish descriptions, scads of novel words, and interesting devices. Her work spans the Star Wars universe, antebellum New Orleans, and various fantasy worlds, sometimes linked with our own.

"I always wanted to be a writer but everyone
More about Barbara Hambly...

Winterlands (4 books)
  • Dragonsbane (Winterlands #1)
  • Dragonshadow (Winterlands, #2)
  • Dragonstar (Winterlands, #4)