Start by marking “A Woman of Virtue” as Want to Read:
A   Woman of Virtue

A Woman of Virtue (Lorimer Family & Clan Cameron #3)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  680 ratings  ·  44 reviews
From the grandeur of regency Mayfair to the dark danger of London's East End, Liz Carlyle sweeps you away with a powerful story of a love born against all odds, as an honorable young widow stands fast against the cynical rogue who seems determined to consume her, heart and soul.
A Woman of Virtue
Published September 16th 2001 by Pocket Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about A Woman of Virtue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Woman of Virtue

♡Karlyn P♡
Carlyle just doesn't write a bad book. Some are better than others, but they all guarantee a great read. I loved this one! In this book David, Lord Delacourt, has been secretly obsessed with Cecilia for over six years, and thanks to a bad bet with his brother-in-law Cole (from A Woman Scorned), he finds himself working side-by-side with her at a woman's shelter for 3-months. Cecilia had once rejected his suit years ago, but she gets to see a new side of him that she deeply desires. There is a mu...more
Julianna
Sep 07, 2008 Julianna rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Regency Romance Fans
Reviewed for www.thcreviews.com

A Woman of Virtue did not seem to have quite the emotional depth of Liz Carlyle's other books that I have read to date, but it was still a fun and enjoyable read. As with her other books, Ms. Carlyle has combined romance with a mystery. The romance part was generally light and breezy, beginning with the hero and heroine bickering like cats and dogs. Sometimes I can find this type of relationship irritating, but here it was handled well, in my opinion, and it didn't...more
_inbetween_
Apr 10, 2008 _inbetween_ rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to _inbetween_ by: alex
Sadly, they sent me the other cover, and sadly, Carlyle does belong into the does-never-reach-her-potential group. I read A Woman Scorned first and didn't review it, not quite sure about her, but it really is the better book. Her flaws were the same here - ie. the issues between h/h were not perfectly handled, rambled indecisively - like I'm going to do now, too.

I enjoy the amount of time h/h spend with each other, but just as Cole in AWS never seemed to be a priest to me, David drew the short...more
Oleta Blaylock
We finally get Lord Delacourt's story. I was very excited to read this story since “A Woman Scorned” ended with Delacourt needing a parson. The story to this problem is a both amusing a horrifying. David Branthwaite, Viscount Delacourt, has just almost compromise a young lady and he is determined to make an honest woman of her. The whole prologue is amusing and sad. Sad because David’s salvation must wait until later in the book and funny because David is drunk, Cole is trying to calm things dow...more
Judy
One of my absolutely favorite romance novels.

Young rake, Lord David Delacourt and Lady Cecilia Markham-Sands got off to a bad start years earlier with the fault landing squarely at David's feet. He tried to make it right but she would have none of it.

A few years later, he is still a bachelor who is jaded and weary of his life and she is a young widow - now Lady Cecilia Lorimer, who is more lovely than ever. They refuse to have anything to do with one another but thankfully, the good-hearted and...more
Lucie "a heart so wild"
3.5*, in the name of romance this book has a bit weight, but for the mystery it create seems too light and not making me wondering...

If I say that I get get lost in a book, well...not in this book...

but the love-scene quite enjoying and has tension...

okay...just usual historical which is not memorable...
Christine
Liz Carlyle has written some of my favorite historicals.

But "A Woman of Virtue" is not one of these. I had a hard time with both Cecilia and David -- they're both rather distant and go to great lengths to avoid and/or antagonize the other. Both send very mixed signals about their attraction until BOOM! she's decided that she loves him, and he realizes that he's loved her all along.

As is typical for Carlyle, she keeps building the sexual tension until it's simmering hot, but Cecilia's sudden cha...more
annisa belikov casillas
pengen kasi 2.5 * tapi e ngga bisa..boring gw skip skip aja bacanya..hot seh..^^
Joy
I liked the story, it was written with detail never missing anything out, but it didn't captivate me. The flashbacks helped and it's a good thing I read "Beauty Like The Night", and "A Woman Scorned" before this because there were recurring characters.

This is David's story, Lord Delacourt from "A Woman Scorned", and Carlyle wrote a good background of him, his character, his true feelings, and his miseries, and how he went downwind all because of a nasty prank. Cecilia, a strong woman whom he was...more
Netha
novel terjemahan oak tree yg sempat ku telantarkan berminggu2 karna baru baca 5 halaman awal aja aq dah ilfill duluan.
tp begitu dibaca & dipaksa baca sampe kelar baru terasa eh nih novel lumayan juga ternyata

Lady Cecilia Markham-Sands 6 tahun yg lalu menolak David, Lord Delacourt, a womanizing lord walaupun nama baiknya tergantung oleh pernikahan tersebut.
david, tampan kaya bertitle & a rake tidak bisa mempercayai ada seorang wanita yg menolak pinangannya mentah2.
cecilia lalu menikah &...more
Felita Hardigaloeh
Perjumpaan pertama Cecilia dan David diwarnai salah paham. David yang mengira Cecilia wanita penghibur, langsung mencoba "bermain". sementara cecilia ga mengira ada pria tampan yg mencoba merayunya di istal kuda, tentu saja menolak david.

bagi david, penampilan cecilia yg menawan sudah memerangkap sisi pria penggodanya, namun ada apa dg nuraninya ? yg langsung bertindak akan melamar gadis tersebut. padahal kenal saja kagak...apalagi david baru ngeh, cecilia sangat berlidah tajam. ditambah lagi, c...more
Imel
pertama, komen covernya dulu deh, soalnya awal w suka ma buku ni gara2 covernya yg mirip ma cover majalah mode, w sukaaaa....

ceritanya menarik plus ada lucu2nya
tentang cinta lama bersemi kembali alias CLBK :)...

untuk karakter hero/heroine nya 11-12 seperti karakter2 hero/heroine nya JL...baca ini teringat tokoh2 di HR nya JL.
suka ma karakter tokoh david, biar bajingan tapi tetep baek (klise klise klise)
cecilia lorimer, heroine yang polosnya minta ampun ampe david bilang klo cecilia adalah wanita...more
Abby
Three cheers for a book featuring the wonderfully dissolute Lord Delacourt! We first met Lord Delacourt in A Woman Scorned, as the half-brother to the fiery Jonet Rowland. Saddled with a title he does not believe to be truly his, Delacourt has wallowed in self-loathing for years, attempting to drown his misery in women and wine.

I love Delacourt as he's a more "feminized" version of so many alpha-heroes. He desperately wants to be an ultra-masculine male, but is really quite a sensitive gentlema...more
LJ
A Woman of Virtue - G
Carlyle, Liz

In the lonely months since her husband's death, Cecilia Lorimer has hidden her emptiness by devoting herself to a charity mission for the unfortunate women of London's slums. But when the dashing Lord Delacourt takes control, she feels an uncharacteristic urge to flee. Just six years earlier, Delacourt had proven himself to be the immoral rake society called him, nearly ruining her reputation in the bargain.

It's whispered that the womanizing Delacourt is vain, vi...more
Fanny Roswita Ria
Pada dasarnya cerita novel ini sangat menarik, hanya saja terjemahannya tdk terlalu baik. Gw pengen kasih 4 bintang, tapi apa daya krn kata2 dlm novel suka aneh makanya jadi urung dah..buat 3 bintang aja:)

Berawal dari pertemuan mereka di istal kuda pacuan yg dibumbui kesalahpahaman berujung percecokan di masa2 yang akan datang antara hero dan heroine yang membuat gw sebagai pembaca terkadang gemas.

Hero sangat ingin menjauh dari heroine, tapi apa daya krn dia kalah taruhan dari iparnya dan dia se...more
Siska
i want to scream. Cecilia! are you blind or you are have no sense that man clearly love you. what else do you want from him.... only the dumbest people can not tell he was in love with her. makes me frustrated....
Dangermousie
I really liked this one (quite a contrast with her A Deal with the Devil, the hero of which was the definition of a sexual harasser, pretty much blackmailing his housekeeper into sex). The heroine is a widow of a much older man who gets involved in a charity helping prostitutes. The hero is a man who has never been able to forget the heroine but his courtship of her ended disastrously (because both were immature and had no emotional clue) six years ago. But now he is involved in the running of t...more
Fiona Goodman
I would probably have given it 3 1/2 stars, but I chose to rate it slightly higher than going down to a 3. I really liked the chemistry between the 2 characters and that makes up the bulk of my rating. I just read 'Almost Heaven' by Judith McNaught and maybe I am judging against that, which is not very fair since very few romances come close to AH which is just about perfect.
Ilze
The murder/suspense plot didn't interest me, and it pretty much took over as the main plot of the story (I don't read romances for the suspense plots). The hero and heroine didn't appeal to me very much either - Delacourt was too much of a drama queen about being a "bastard" (when he was not really a bastard in the legal sense) and Cecilia was too much of a drama queen period.
Kit
David and Cecilia's story is another great read by Liz Carlyle. I had started reading Liz with the Devil series not realizing that there is a thread of secondary characters throughout her books. I appreciated going back and reading these earlier romances that enrich the rest of her writing. Start at the beginning.
I am hooked on her writing- it consistently delights.
Keri
Another solid entry my Ms. Carlyle. I just wish that I would have read these books in order. I liked David and Cecilia together. Just wish that they would have had more communication over the incident that had occurred between them 6 years ago. They both recognized each others fears from that time, but they never really vocalized those thoughts to each other.
Lelyana Taufik
Mungkin cerita nya oke kalau kita baca dlm bahasa asli nya, sayang sy membaca terjemahannya yg ternyata oh ternyata sangaaat mengerikan....
The momment I finished the book, the momment I forgot abot the story...what was going on with this story?
nila

Cover bukunya cantik, tapi sepertinya bukan wanita dari awal abad ke 19, lebih mirip artis hollywood diatas karpet merah dari abad 21 :) . Satu karakter yg saya menarik di buku ini adalah pelayan pribadi hislordship, Kembel, pemilih, nyinyir tapi punya pengertian besar dan kemampuan membobol pintu ;)
penelopewanders
Rereading this before trading.
So, I know why I only gave it three stars before... it's a good story on the whole, and Delecourt is quite the hero - dissolute drunk etc, but somehow it doesn't quite work. The tumble from hatred and haughtiness is just too quick to believe.
Danette Steward
I almost put this book down in the beginning due to all the characters introduced (I did not want to have to get a brain cramp trying to keep it all straight). Also, it was a little boring in the beginning. I'm glad I continued...turned out to be a good story.
Lillazza
The first part of this book is full of futile chatter, I gave up after 70 pages. I have a particular dislike for no-sense chatter in historical, it bores me to death, but that's my personal taste. That's why I gave this book 2 stars instead of one.
Sharon sumanti
i quite enjoyed it. but i think i won't read it again.
it's just that,, it's not my fav genre. and honestly,i skipped some pages by reading it faster.
(i'm not a fast reader, i usually enjoy slow reading )
haha -,-a
Cyndi
I very much enjoyed this book. I believed Delacourt's struggles and I understood Cecilia's reservations. Carlyle created a compelling relationship with these two that was enjoyable from start to finish.
Mimna
ไม่รู้เป็นเพราะอะไร แต่อ่านแล้วเรียบเรียงเหตุการณ์ไม่ถูก สงสัยเป็นเพราะจำชื่อตัวละครไม่ค่อยจะได้ เลยเง็งนิดหน่อยว่าลอร์ดวอลราเฟนมาเกี่ยวข้องอะไรด้วยตอนท้ายๆ แต่ก็สนุกดีค่ะ โดยเฉพาะฉากx ฮ่าๆๆๆๆ
Tasha
Carlyle's books all tend to run together for me (especially with the similarity of titles and covers), but this one stands out in my mind as one of her best. A definite recommend.
  • Simply Scandalous
  • Tonight or Never
  • Lady Gallant (European Renaissance Duo, #1) (Ladies, #1)
  • My Pleasure (The Rose Hunters Trilogy #2)
  • The Last Hellion (Scoundrels, #4)
  • The Fortune Hunter (Lord Rival, #2)
  • Rafe's Redemption
  • Wicked Angel
  • Lord of a Thousand Nights (Medieval #6)
  • Her Wanton Wager (Mayhem in Mayfair, #2)
  • The Warrior
  • A Stolen Heart (Lost Heirs, #1)
  • Educating Elizabeth
  • One Night of Sin (Knight Miscellany, #6)
  • The Matchmaker (Maker, #1)
  • The Forbidden Lord (Lord Trilogy, #2)
  • The Secret Pearl
  • Outlaw (Carre, #1)
21944
Dear Readers,

The awful truth about novelists is that we are mostly dull, introverted homebodies who only write in order to live our fantasies vicariously. I came to writing rather late in life, and I’m still amazed I can get paid for doing something I love, and that I get to stay home while I do it.

My favorite comedian Steve Martin once said, "I believe entertainment can aspire to be art, and ca...more
More about Liz Carlyle...
The Devil You Know (Rutledge Family #3) Never Lie to a Lady (Neville Family #1) Tempted All Night (Neville Family #4) Never Deceive a Duke (Neville Family, #2) Never Romance a Rake (Neville Family #3)