Start by marking “Superior Donuts (TCG Edition)” as Want to Read:
Superior Donuts (TCG Edition)

Superior Donuts (TCG Edition)

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  315 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Superior Donuts takes place in the historic Uptown neighborhood of Chicago, where Arthur Przybyszewski runs the donut shop that has been in his family for sixty years. Franco Wicks, a young black man and Arthur's only employee, wants to modernize the shop, while Arthur is more content to spend the day smoking weed and reminiscing about his Polish immigrant father. This pro ...more
Published November 23rd 2010 by Theatre Communications Group (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Superior Donuts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Superior Donuts

Jackson Burnett
Mar 15, 2015 Jackson Burnett rated it liked it
Way too many too many witty words. The story arc drops into the play as if the author all of a sudden remembered a story line was needed. This should not have been a final draft.
Hank Lin
May 03, 2012 Hank Lin rated it liked it
Since O'Neill, the great American play has been in a constant state of flux, reinventing itself, but always finding the remnants of its melodramatic, poetical, and sometimes suprarealistic forbears. Superior Donuts gestates on the principal questions of the American play: the working class, the American Dream, the dissolution of marriage, failed father figures, and others. It's both enhanced and diminished by the American drama's constricting vision. There isn't as much grandstanding, or vast re ...more
Clifton
Dec 31, 2013 Clifton rated it really liked it
This play felt like mandatory reading, honestly. 14 years ago I wrote this play that took place at an old diner in Uptown...and it never came close to this characterization or tension or wit. The voices here are clear and wonderful. Worth reading (and emulating), especially for those of us that lived in this neighborhood.
Yolanda
Oct 14, 2015 Yolanda rated it it was ok
Shelves: plays, kinda-read
I was all in until the character of Franco came in. He killed it for me. The plot became annoying and deviated for my liking.
Jason
Jun 13, 2012 Jason rated it it was amazing
I saw a production of this play in Boston last year and was incredibly moved. I really wanted to read the script, to see if it read as well as it played (which unfortunately, is not always the case), and I have to say, it was just as moving to read this piece as it was to see-so much so, that I was sobbing on the train on the way to work this morning when I finished it. The thing I really adore about Mr. Letts' work is that it's real-whether reading it or seeing it, you know these people-they ar ...more
Robert Kapeller
Jun 29, 2015 Robert Kapeller rated it it was ok
♥ Sandi
Mar 10, 2014 ♥ Sandi rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-want, 7-play
Mediocre story. Play may have come across better. Odd mix of people come together in a failing donut shop.
Vincent Bruckert
Nov 16, 2013 Vincent Bruckert rated it it was amazing
Suspenseful, humorous, humane, this story involves a local Chicago shopowner hippie, a CCC student, a couple of beat cops, and neighborhood riff-raff. This play is a homage to the many Chicago storefront plays that tell stories from our city. I really loved, btw, the Mary-Arrchie production of it--Richard Cotovsky is brilliant!
Kristen
May 02, 2011 Kristen rated it did not like it
After reading August Osage County, this was a real let down. I feel like I've read this story a million times and there's really nothing original about it. It's a well written story, but just forgettable. There's just not much here. Letts has done much better than this.
Victoria
Apr 25, 2011 Victoria rated it really liked it
Franco's dilemma seemed forced and I'm not sure I found the climax believable, but the overall theme and sentiment of the play was beautiful. Lots of funny dialogue. Lots of relevant, timely commentary on gentrification, race relations and personal identity.
Steven Pattison
Mar 29, 2012 Steven Pattison rated it liked it
Shelves: drama
The plot of this one was very similar to the film "Smoke" and the ending was a bit trite and predictable but overall this was a sweet nice character study with great dialogue & slice of everyday mundane life at a donut shop in Chicago .
Robert
Apr 19, 2013 Robert rated it it was ok
The material here isn't anything new or fresh but Letts does enough interesting things to keep it interesting. He has a tendency, though, to prop himself up on predictable cliches, which ultimately causes the play to suffer.
Barbara
Jun 16, 2011 Barbara rated it liked it
Not as compelling and funny as "August: Osage County", but an interesting setting and protagonist; however, the ending is somewhat predictable, using the common theme of someone who is down and out finding hope again.
Oct 26, 2012 Sarah marked it as to-read
Shelves: plays
Bought this tonight at Steppenwolf, while waiting for a different play (Good People - amazing - catch it before it closes mid-November!). I saw Superior Donuts a couple of years ago and remember enjoying it very much.
Brittany
Dec 31, 2013 Brittany rated it really liked it
It was an interesting play but the ending was a little abrupt for me.
Stephanie
Nov 30, 2012 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: serious
I'm going to reread this lovely play immediately. Grief, gambling, twisted dreams and an untarnished American Dream, plus Letts' usual serving of awkward romance. Superior, indeed.

Victoria
Apr 06, 2013 Victoria rated it it was amazing
when i read that arthur sold the shop, i was worried that the ending would leave me feeling unsatisfied... i couldn't have been further from the truth. what a great play!
Kathleen Murray
May 29, 2013 Kathleen Murray rated it really liked it
A good read, I found myself laughing out loud at a few parts of it. Very quick too, also has GREAT characters, and is definitely a character driven play.
Steven
Aug 24, 2014 Steven rated it really liked it
Moving and brutal play about poor and damaged people, broken hands, broken dreams, and bonds of friendship amongst the poverty and despair.
Jeffrey
Sep 12, 2011 Jeffrey rated it it was amazing
Loved this story.. Did the staged reading two weeks ago... great cast and crew. This is another must read.
Adam
Feb 05, 2012 Adam rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012readingyear
Great play. Set in Uptown. A few honest-to-goodness laugh-out-loud jokes.
Tommy
Sep 03, 2012 Tommy rated it it was amazing
Clear, classic, beautiful play.
Crystal
Apr 04, 2013 Crystal rated it really liked it
Such a funny, moving play. Loved it.
Joelle
May 02, 2016 Joelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: playscripts, onstage
DCTC 2011
Shelley
Shelley rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2016
Nevena
Nevena marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Christine Bettis
Christine Bettis rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2016
Lara
Lara marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Mary Jo
Mary Jo rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
  • Three Plays: Gruesome Playground Injuries / Animals Out of Paper / Bengal Tiger at the Baghdad Zoo
  • Clybourne Park
  • The Last Days of Judas Iscariot
  • Ruined
  • Marisol
341903
Tracy Letts is an American playwright and actor who received the 2008 Pulitzer Prize for Drama for his play August: Osage County.

Letts was born in Tulsa, Oklahoma to best-selling author Billie Letts, of Where The Heart Is and The Honk And Holler Opening Soon fame, and the late college professor and actor Dennis Letts. His brother Shawn is a jazz musician and composer. He also has a brother Dana. L
More about Tracy Letts...