Start by marking “The Raven” as Want to Read:
The Raven

The Raven

4.26  ·  Rating Details  ·  56,124 Ratings  ·  1,086 Reviews
In Gustave Doré, one of the most prolific and successful book illustrators of the late 19h century, Edgar Allan Poe's renowned poem The Raven found perhaps its most perfect artistic interpreter. Doré's dreamlike, otherworldly style, tinged with melancholy, seems ideally matched to the bleak despair of Poe's celebrated work, among the most popular American poems ever writte ...more
ebook
Published by Feedbooks (first published 1844)

To ask other readers questions about The Raven, please sign up.

Jessica Blair I you wish to purchace the book you can go to online stores or amazon.ca and have it sent to your device or you can go to a bookstore or library to…moreI you wish to purchace the book you can go to online stores or amazon.ca and have it sent to your device or you can go to a bookstore or library to buy it.(less)
The Complete Poems by Emily DickinsonLeaves of Grass by Walt WhitmanShakespeare's Sonnets by William ShakespeareThe Waste Land and Other Poems by T.S. EliotAriel by Sylvia Plath
Best Poetry Books
272nd out of 1,698 books — 1,873 voters

More lists with this book...

Bookworm Sean
Shall we descend into madness? Shall we be haunted by our own desires? Shall we be consumed by that terrible facet of life known only as death? Shall we cling to what cannot be reanimated? Shall we wish for a return of something that has long been in darkness?

Shall we become obliterated by the brutal finality of such a statement as “nevermore?”

Lenore has gone. She has departed from this life, and is permanently out of the reach of the man. The raven represents the solidarity of this. Despite h
Navessa

Am I the only one creeped out by ravens? Every time I hear mention of them I shudder. I mean, come on. Have you ever heard one croak? Second question; have you ever heard a tree full of them croak? I have.

There I was, minding my own business, just trying to walk home from the bus stop. I didn’t even see them until I was directly beneath the tree. I heard this strange rustling sound and thought it was weird because the leaves had already fallen. Naturally, I paused to look up. What was I met wit
Bonnie
Nov 14, 2015 Bonnie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once upon a midnight dreary,
while I pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume
of forgotten lore,
While I nodded, nearly napping,
suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping,
rapping at my chamber door.
"'Tis some visiter," I muttered,
"tapping at my chamber door --
Only this, and nothing more."

I had started reading the Raven before but was never able to quite get through it. When I came across this illustrated version at my library I decided to give it another shot.
Melki
Feb 09, 2015 Melki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, poetry
description
Peter Meredith
Feb 14, 2012 Peter Meredith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I write this review as someone who dislikes poetry, or maybe I should say, before I'm attacked by the poetry police, that I have disliked every poem forced down my throat by well meaning sadistic teachers. (Someone please explain the antithetical concept of a well meaning sadist. I'm afraid I might have made that up and it makes no sense.)
The Raven I enjoyed. Perhaps because of its length. For me, a poem can't be too long. The longer the poem, the higher my risk of death(probably through suicide
Γκέλλυ
Μου αρέσει να διαβάζω το Κοράκι, ειδικά βράδυ, λίγο πριν να κοιμηθώ. Εκτός από την μεταφυσική του ατμόσφαιρα, μου αρέσει ιδιαίτερα η μουσικότητα αυτού του αφηγηματικού ποιήματος. Για να πω την αλήθεια τώρα το διάβασα περισσότερο για την εικονογράφηση του Gustave Doré η οποία είναι εξαιρετική.

"Here i opened wide the door; - Darkness there and nothing more"

5 αστέρια και καληνυχτίζω
Rinda Elwakil
Sep 12, 2015 Rinda Elwakil rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pdf_ebub_tablet
Eagerly I wished the morrow..
Vainly I had sought to borrow..
From my books surcease of sorrow,sorrow for the lost Lenore..

For the rare and madien whom the angels named "Lenore"..
Nameless here for evermore..

خسارة تتبعها خسارة تتبعها خسارة..تلك كانت حياة ذاك الرجل..إدجار آلان بو.
عاش منبوذاً كسيراً سكيراً، سلبه الموت حب حياته مرتين..

رحل ادجار آلان بو عن عالمنا مُفلساً وحيداً لا يعرفه أحد، و لم يشهد تقديراً كافياً لابداعه خلال حياته..ماتت حبيبته آنابيل لي جراء السُل أمام عينيه و لم يملك شيئا يمنحه ل
Carol
Jul 21, 2015 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Death and Sorrow

A tragic and creepy poem about a RAVEN who hauntingly appears as a (spirit?) 'rapping' on a man's door who is distraught over the loss of his love Lenore. (or did the man murder Lenore and the Raven came to collect his soul?)

The last verse: "And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor-------Shall be lifted Nevermore".

Mia (Parentheses Enthusiast)
I've read this so many times I've lost count, but I still adore it. The imagery, the creepiness, the frenetic cadence it takes on when read aloud... Pure awesomeness. I try to read it every Halloween.
Brian
I never understood Poe, so never truly enjoyed him. The more I read fiction the better I can understand what I used to consider difficult pieces. To borrow an old cliche-like analogy, I saw this through 3D glasses. Poe literally transcends the mind to the place, the feel of the environment. I saw the images like I saw through the author's eyes. Amazing! When you can do that to someone with words on a page you've achieved greatness.
Claudia
Dec 25, 2015 Claudia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book appeals to me. I love a blood-curdling story. :)
Abubakar
Oct 12, 2014 Abubakar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just one suggestion, if someone wants to read this poem he/she should read it in a cold winter night when fog is pressing against the window and dew drops are wetting the window panes. In utter silence, read it aloud,or in whispers perhaps. And you will know why Poe was a genius.
Celeste Corrêa
Oct 26, 2015 Celeste Corrêa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"O Corvo" de Edgar Allan Poe, o poema que pôs toda a gente a dizer "Nunca mais", talvez devido à ressonância do refrão contínuo de "Nunca mais".
Uma evocação de uma "Memória Saudosa e Eterna" nas palavras do seu autor.
A concepção deste poema foi "uma longa gestação, que segundo Poe, teria sido acompanhada de uma tal quantidade de cálculos e experiências técnicas que teria exasperado Milton e Sófocles em conjunto. O seu desejo era que o pássaro fosse uma coruja, mas depois terá mudado de ideias" (
Mahdi
نقاشی های گوستاو دوره به خودی خود غریب و وهم انگیز هست، حالا با منظومه ی کلاغ که ترکیب بشه، میشه شاهکار. (مخصوصاً که همزمان داشتم "پرلود و فوگ" از باخ رو گوش میکردم.)

Linda
The way Poe wrote takes some time getting used to, but after managing that you will like his writing even more.

During the meeting with the bird, the narrator's mental status is slowly being exposed. The way the narrator is projecting his own thoughts and feelings onto the bird, and thereby giving the bird's only word "Nevermore" meaning, is interesting. The narrator interprets the words in a way he need. Why would he continue asking questions otherwise, when the only answer is one and the same?
Íris Santos
Jul 14, 2015 Íris Santos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quando era adolescente, como muitos outros adolescentes, tive uma fase má. Creio que todos passamos por isso: apercebemo-nos de como as ilusões da infância acabam e começamos a ver o mundo da mesma forma que vemos um animal de estimação depois da morte: causa-nos um misto de tristeza, sentimento de abandono, repúdio, nojo e desprezo. Fechamo-nos dentro de nós mesmos, sentimo-nos até revolucionários e anarquistas, mas apenas da boca para fora.
Li The Raven numa fase em que me vestia de preto e as
Raeden Zen
Apr 19, 2013 Raeden Zen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Deep into that
darkness peering,
long I stood there
wondering, fearing
Doubting, dreaming
dreams no mortal
ever dared to dream before…”

"The Raven" is about loss of a loved one and will stick with you, maybe even haunt your dreams for a few nights. I picked up the Kindle version for free and I was instantly reminded why this is one of my favorite poems. (There is a long preface before it, which I found interesting. But if you just want to read the poem, you can use the index and click on "The Poem.
Agustina
Apr 19, 2016 Agustina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
And the Raven, never flitting, still is sitting, still is sitting
On the pallid bust of Pallas just above my chamber door;
And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon’s that is dreaming,
And the lamp-light o’er him streaming throws his shadow on the floor;
And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor
Shall be lifted—nevermore!

Fascinante. De lo mejor que he leído. Lo conocí a través de mi profesora de Literature hace algunos años. Me acuerdo como lo leía lentamente y susur
Huda Aweys
Edgar Allan Poe was a talented,enchanting and sensitive poet
(The Raven) really wonderful literary work
But it expresses of a cumbersome desperate melancholy spirit
So, I have not had full enjoy with the book, Unfortunately !
*****
ادجار الان بو شاعر حساس موهوب، وقصيدة (الغراب) او (لا شئ بعد ابدا !) عمل ادبي رائع حقا
و لكنه يعبر عن روح مرهقة يائسة سوداوية ، و هذا ما لم يتح لى الاستمتاع الكامل بالعمل حقيقة
Travelling Sunny
Dec 11, 2013 Travelling Sunny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read along while listening to THIS YOUTUBE AUDIO RECORDING of James Earl Jones reading the poem in its entirety. I also envisioned him as Darth Vader. Don't judge.
AleJandra Guido
*5 "Dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before" STARS*

description

La primera vez que leí esta historia fue hace 12 años aproximadamente.
En aquel entonces era una pobre diabla puberta que empezaba a leer por placer y no obligación, y siguiendo lo pretenciosa que era yo en aquel entonces leía puros clásicos, en especial de terror. Y este fue el primer cuento que leí de Edgar Allan Poe, no recuerdo bien que sentí o pensé aquella primera vez que lo leí Probablemente nisiquiera lo entendí o lo interpr
Anne
Mar 22, 2016 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Anne by: Bookworm Sean
This poem flung me into some kind of twisted reverie

I was having trouble falling asleep, so I picked this up because of it's gothic nature. And it was per-fect.

I love how comically the mourner receives the bird at first. A bird named "Nevermore".
But then, it seems as if the speaker becomes agitated by the bird's repeated reply to all his proffered questions; again and again the bird answers with "Nevermore". He's worried by the bird's answer: Maybe it holds meaning.

'Till I scarcely more tha
Brooklyn Tayla
My gosh that was good. I'll never sleep again but wow. *shrieks*
Melda
Aug 23, 2015 Melda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-of-all
"But the Raven, sitting lonely on the placid bust, spoke only
That one word, as if his soul in that one word he did outpour.
Nothing farther then he uttered - not a feather then he fluttered -
Till I scarcely more than muttered 'Other friends have flown before -
On the morrow he will leave me, as my Hopes have flown before.'
Then the bird said 'Nevermore.'"
Carmo
Jul 13, 2016 Carmo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Traduzir poesia é sempre tarefa ingrata. É preciso traduzir a ideia e não necessariamente palavra a palavra, sob pena de se perder a sonoridade. Esta edição d' O Corvo vem em dose tripla; traduções de Fernando Pessoa e Machado de Assis e ainda o original. Como presente extra - Anabelle Lee - uma pequena joia, também no original e na tradução de Pessoa.
Nunca tinha lido Poe; sempre o associei a uma escrita sombria e mórbida. Apesar de ambos os poemas falarem da morte e da dor subsequente, acheio-o
Antiquus
Apr 24, 2012 Antiquus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One bleak December, a weary man was perusing an old book and heard a tapping on his door. The rustling curtain frightened him, but he decided that it could have been just a late visitor and that he would ask for forgiveness for he was napping. But when he opened the door, there was nothing in there except the word “Lenore”, an echo of his own words. When he returned to his room, he heard the tapping again and tried to reason that it was probably just the wind outside his door. Yet when he opened ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
Dec 14, 2013 Ahmad Sharabiani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, classic

آنگاه، خش خشی که مرا
Alexandra
Nov 09, 2015 Alexandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook-books, favorites
I love this so much. I've never been a fan of poetry either. I remember reading this in high school and hating it because I didn't really understand what was going on. But reading it now, I love it. I love the drama, darkness, and despair. It read almost like a song too. I can picture reading this out loud and liking it even more (but that would be weird to read it out loud to myself, right?). Sometimes I feel like the natrator: I know the answer isn't what I want to hear, but I ask the question ...more
Aliaa
Oct 04, 2013 Aliaa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a little ashamed to say that this is my first time reading Poe in my life, at least in English. I've read translations to some of his short stories when i was about fifteen years old, and five years later here i read The Raven for the very first time.
I have to say that it's so painfully beautiful that i read it about two other times as soon as i finished it and yet it seemed so sad to me.
It's desperate and dark and everything that Poe is about and yet it's just so beautiful I had to give it
Γιώτα Παπαδημακοπούλου
Κι όμως... ακόμα κι αν δεν το πιστεύετε, τα κοράκια είναι πλάσματα μοναδικά. Τρομακτικά μεν, εκπληκτικά δε. Και αυτό, σε έναν βαθμό, οφείλεται στην ευφυία και την οξυδέρκειά τους. Όλα αυτά τα χαρακτηριστικά και άλλα τόσα, έχουν μετουσιωθεί στο νόημα των στίχων που του πιο δημοφιλούς -ίσως- ποιήματυος του Poe, κι ενός εκ των πιο δημοφιλών ποιημάτων στην ιστορία της λογοτεχνίας. Και ναι, είναι μοναδικό και κάθε φορά που το διαβάζεις αισθάνεσαι πως ανακαλύπτεις και κάτι καινούργιο.
Retro Chapter Chi...: July 2016: Buddy Read "The Raven" by Edgar Allan Poe 13 6 Jul 03, 2016 03:01PM
Vinroed Reads: Reading Poe in January 3 2 Jan 29, 2016 11:32AM
  • My Lai 4: A Report on the Massacre and Its Aftermath
  • The Mojo Collection: The Ultimate Music Companion
  • The Devil and Tom Walker
  • In the Cage
  • The Peace of Nicias and the Sicilian Expedition (Peloponnesian War)
  • Jabberwocky
  • The Birthmark
More about Edgar Allan Poe...

“Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
Tis some visitor," I muttered, "tapping at my chamber door —
Only this, and nothing more."

Ah, distinctly I remember it was in the bleak December,
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.
Eagerly I wished the morrow; — vainly I had sought to borrow
From my books surcease of sorrow — sorrow for the lost Lenore —
For the rare and radiant maiden whom the angels name Lenore —
Nameless here for evermore.

And the silken sad uncertain rustling of each purple curtain
Thrilled me — filled me with fantastic terrors never felt before;
So that now, to still the beating of my heart, I stood repeating,
Tis some visitor entreating entrance at my chamber door —
Some late visitor entreating entrance at my chamber door; —
This it is, and nothing more."

Presently my soul grew stronger; hesitating then no longer,
Sir," said I, "or Madam, truly your forgiveness I implore;
But the fact is I was napping, and so gently you came rapping,
And so faintly you came tapping, tapping at my chamber door,
That I scarce was sure I heard you"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing,
Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortals ever dared to dream before;
But the silence was unbroken, and the stillness gave no token,
And the only word there spoken was the whispered word, "Lenore?"
This I whispered, and an echo murmured back the word, "Lenore!" —
Merely this, and nothing more.

Back into the chamber turning, all my soul within me burning,
Soon again I heard a tapping somewhat louder than before.
Surely," said I, "surely that is something at my window lattice:
Let me see, then, what thereat is, and this mystery explore —
Let my heart be still a moment and this mystery explore; —
'Tis the wind and nothing more."

Open here I flung the shutter, when, with many a flirt and flutter,
In there stepped a stately raven of the saintly days of yore;
Not the least obeisance made he; not a minute stopped or stayed he;
But, with mien of lord or lady, perched above my chamber door —
Perched upon a bust of Pallas just above my chamber door —
Perched, and sat, and nothing more.

Then this ebony bird beguiling my sad fancy into smiling,
By the grave and stern decorum of the countenance it wore.
Though thy crest be shorn and shaven, thou," I said, "art sure no craven,
Ghastly grim and ancient raven wandering from the Nightly shore —
Tell me what thy lordly name is on the Night's Plutonian shore!"
Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore."

Much I marveled this ungainly fowl to hear discourse so plainly,
Though its answer little meaning— little relevancy bore;
For we cannot help agreeing that no living human being
Ever yet was blest with seeing bird above his chamber door —
Bird or beast upon the sculptured bust above his chamber door,
With such name as "Nevermore.”
2561 likes
“Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.” 733 likes