Start by marking “The Raven” as Want to Read:
The Raven

The Raven

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  46,335 ratings  ·  892 reviews
In Gustave Doré, one of the most prolific and successful book illustrators of the late 19h century, Edgar Allan Poe's renowned poem The Raven found perhaps its most perfect artistic interpreter. Doré's dreamlike, otherworldly style, tinged with melancholy, seems ideally matched to the bleak despair of Poe's celebrated work, among the most popular American poems ever writte ...more
Published by Feedbooks (first published 1844)

To ask other readers questions about The Raven, please sign up.

Jessica Blair I you wish to purchace the book you can go to online stores or and have it sent to your device or you can go to a bookstore or library to…moreI you wish to purchace the book you can go to online stores or and have it sent to your device or you can go to a bookstore or library to buy it.(less)
The Complete Poems by Emily DickinsonLeaves of Grass by Walt WhitmanShakespeare's Sonnets by William ShakespeareThe Waste Land and Other Poems by T.S. EliotAriel by Sylvia Plath
Best Poetry Books
196th out of 1,564 books — 1,732 voters

More lists with this book...

Am I the only one creeped out by ravens? Every time I hear mention of them I shudder. I mean, come on. Have you ever heard one croak? Second question; have you ever heard a tree full of them croak? I have.

There I was, minding my own business, just trying to walk home from the bus stop. I didn’t even see them until I was directly beneath the tree. I heard this strange rustling sound and thought it was weird because the leaves had already fallen. Naturally, I paused to look up. What was I met wit
Once upon a midnight dreary,
while I pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume
of forgotten lore,
While I nodded, nearly napping,
suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping,
rapping at my chamber door.
"'Tis some visiter," I muttered,
"tapping at my chamber door --
Only this, and nothing more."

I had started reading the Raven before but was never able to quite get through it. When I came across this illustrated version at my library I decided to give it another shot.
Peter Meredith
I write this review as someone who dislikes poetry, or maybe I should say, before I'm attacked by the poetry police, that I have disliked every poem forced down my throat by well meaning sadistic teachers. (Someone please explain the antithetical concept of a well meaning sadist. I'm afraid I might have made that up and it makes no sense.)
The Raven I enjoyed. Perhaps because of its length. For me, a poem can't be too long. The longer the poem, the higher my risk of death(probably through suicide
"The death, then, of a beautiful woman is, unquestionably, the most poetical topic in the world,— and equally is it beyond doubt that the lips best suited for such a topic are those of a bereaved lover."

These last expressions are quoted from Poe's whimsical analysis of this very poem, but they indicate precisely the general range of his verse.

Highest Recommendation

Death and Sorrow

A tragic and creepy poem about a RAVEN who hauntingly appears as a (spirit?) 'rapping' on a man's door who is distraught over the loss of his love Lenore. (or did the man murder Lenore and the Raven came to collect his soul?)

The last verse: "And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor-------Shall be lifted Nevermore".

Rinda Elwakil
Eagerly I wished the morrow..
Vainly I had sought to borrow..
From my books surcease of sorrow,sorrow for the lost Lenore..

For the rare and madien whom the angels named "Lenore"..
Nameless here for evermore..

خسارة تتبعها خسارة تتبعها خسارة..تلك كانت حياة ذاك الرجل..إدجار آلان بو.
عاش منبوذاً كسيراً سكيراً، سلبه الموت حب حياته مرتين..

رحل ادجار آلان بو عن عالمنا مُفلساً وحيداً لا يعرفه أحد، و لم يشهد تقديراً كافياً لابداعه خلال حياته..ماتت حبيبته آنابيل لي جراء السُل أمام عينيه و لم يملك شيئا يمنحه ل
I've read this so many times I've lost count, but I still adore it. The imagery, the creepiness, the frenetic cadence it takes on when read aloud... Pure awesomeness. I try to read it every Halloween.
I never understood Poe, so never truly enjoyed him. The more I read fiction the better I can understand what I used to consider difficult pieces. To borrow an old cliche-like analogy, I saw this through 3D glasses. Poe literally transcends the mind to the place, the feel of the environment. I saw the images like I saw through the author's eyes. Amazing! When you can do that to someone with words on a page you've achieved greatness.
Celeste Corrêa
"O Corvo" de Edgar Allan Poe, o poema que pôs toda a gente a dizer "Nunca mais", talvez devido à ressonância do refrão contínuo de "Nunca mais".
Uma evocação de uma "Memória Saudosa e Eterna" nas palavras do seu autor.
A concepção deste poema foi "uma longa gestação, que segundo Poe, teria sido acompanhada de uma tal quantidade de cálculos e experiências técnicas que teria exasperado Milton e Sófocles em conjunto. O seu desejo era que o pássaro fosse uma coruja, mas depois terá mudado de ideias" (
The way Poe wrote takes some time getting used to, but after managing that you will like his writing even more.

During the meeting with the bird, the narrator's mental status is slowly being exposed. The way the narrator is projecting his own thoughts and feelings onto the bird, and thereby giving the bird's only word "Nevermore" meaning, is interesting. The narrator interprets the words in a way he need. Why would he continue asking questions otherwise, when the only answer is one and the same?
Íris Santos
Quando era adolescente, como muitos outros adolescentes, tive uma fase má. Creio que todos passamos por isso: apercebemo-nos de como as ilusões da infância acabam e começamos a ver o mundo da mesma forma que vemos um animal de estimação depois da morte: causa-nos um misto de tristeza, sentimento de abandono, repúdio, nojo e desprezo. Fechamo-nos dentro de nós mesmos, sentimo-nos até revolucionários e anarquistas, mas apenas da boca para fora.
Li The Raven numa fase em que me vestia de preto e as
Huda Aweys
Edgar Allan Poe was a talented,enchanting and sensitive poet
(The Raven) really wonderful literary work
But it expresses of a cumbersome desperate melancholy spirit
So, I have not had full enjoy with the book, Unfortunately !
ادجار الان بو شاعر حساس موهوب، وقصيدة (الغراب) او (لا شئ بعد ابدا !) عمل ادبي رائع حقا
و لكنه يعبر عن روح مرهقة يائسة سوداوية ، و هذا ما لم يتح لى الاستمتاع الكامل بالعمل حقيقة
نقاشی های گوستاو دوره به خودی خود غریب و وهم انگیز هست، حالا با منظومه ی کلاغ که ترکیب بشه، میشه شاهکار. (مخصوصاً که همزمان داشتم "پرلود و فوگ" از باخ رو گوش میکردم.)

Carmo Santos
Traduzir poesia é sempre tarefa ingrata. É preciso traduzir a ideia e não necessariamente palavra a palavra, sob pena de se perder a sonoridade. Esta edição d' O Corvo vem em dose tripla; traduções de Fernando Pessoa e Machado de Assis e ainda o original. Como presente extra - Anabelle Lee - uma pequena joia, também no original e na tradução de Pessoa.
Nunca tinha lido Poe; sempre o associei a uma escrita sombria e mórbida. Apesar de ambos os poemas falarem da morte e da dor subsequente, acheio-o
Raeden Zen
“Deep into that
darkness peering,
long I stood there
wondering, fearing
Doubting, dreaming
dreams no mortal
ever dared to dream before…”

"The Raven" is about loss of a loved one and will stick with you, maybe even haunt your dreams for a few nights. I picked up the Kindle version for free and I was instantly reminded why this is one of my favorite poems. (There is a long preface before it, which I found interesting. But if you just want to read the poem, you can use the index and click on "The Poem.
"But the Raven, sitting lonely on the placid bust, spoke only
That one word, as if his soul in that one word he did outpour.
Nothing farther then he uttered - not a feather then he fluttered -
Till I scarcely more than muttered 'Other friends have flown before -
On the morrow he will leave me, as my Hopes have flown before.'
Then the bird said 'Nevermore.'"
This poem flung me into some kind of twisted reverie

I was having trouble falling asleep, so I picked this up because of it's gothic nature. And it was per-fect.

I love how comically the mourner receives the bird at first. A bird named "Nevermore".
But then, it seems as if the speaker becomes agitated by the bird's repeated reply to all his proffered questions; again and again the bird answers with "Nevermore". He's worried by the bird's answer: Maybe it holds meaning.

'Till I scarcely more tha
Just one suggestion, if someone wants to read this poem he/she should read it in a cold winter night when fog is pressing against the window and dew drops are wetting the window panes. In utter silence, read it aloud,or in whispers perhaps. And you will know why Poe was a genius.
Travelling Sunny
I read along while listening to THIS YOUTUBE AUDIO RECORDING of James Earl Jones reading the poem in its entirety. I also envisioned him as Darth Vader. Don't judge.
One bleak December, a weary man was perusing an old book and heard a tapping on his door. The rustling curtain frightened him, but he decided that it could have been just a late visitor and that he would ask for forgiveness for he was napping. But when he opened the door, there was nothing in there except the word “Lenore”, an echo of his own words. When he returned to his room, he heard the tapping again and tried to reason that it was probably just the wind outside his door. Yet when he opened ...more
I'm a little ashamed to say that this is my first time reading Poe in my life, at least in English. I've read translations to some of his short stories when i was about fifteen years old, and five years later here i read The Raven for the very first time.
I have to say that it's so painfully beautiful that i read it about two other times as soon as i finished it and yet it seemed so sad to me.
It's desperate and dark and everything that Poe is about and yet it's just so beautiful I had to give it
Lenore: The narrator gives no description of Lenore. We do not know what she looks like or what exactly the relationship between Lenore and the narrator is. All we know is that the narrator really misses her. The lack of details regarding Lenore makes her a likely symbol. She may represent idealized love, beauty, truth, or hope in a better world. She is "rare and radiant" we are told several times, an angelic description, perhaps symbolic of heaven. Lenore may symbolize truth: the narrator canno ...more
I love this so much. I've never been a fan of poetry either. I remember reading this in high school and hating it because I didn't really understand what was going on. But reading it now, I love it. I love the drama, darkness, and despair. It read almost like a song too. I can picture reading this out loud and liking it even more (but that would be weird to read it out loud to myself, right?). Sometimes I feel like the natrator: I know the answer isn't what I want to hear, but I ask the question ...more
Γιώτα Παπαδημακοπούλου
Κι όμως... ακόμα κι αν δεν το πιστεύετε, τα κοράκια είναι πλάσματα μοναδικά. Τρομακτικά μεν, εκπληκτικά δε. Και αυτό, σε έναν βαθμό, οφείλεται στην ευφυία και την οξυδέρκειά τους. Όλα αυτά τα χαρακτηριστικά και άλλα τόσα, έχουν μετουσιωθεί στο νόημα των στίχων που του πιο δημοφιλούς -ίσως- ποιήματυος του Poe, κι ενός εκ των πιο δημοφιλών ποιημάτων στην ιστορία της λογοτεχνίας. Και ναι, είναι μοναδικό και κάθε φορά που το διαβάζεις αισθάνεσαι πως ανακαλύπτεις και κάτι καινούργιο.
After I memorised the whole thing, I went to the Sofia zoo and recited it to the (utterly adorable) raven there. He seemed to know I was talking about him because he flew right to me and stayed there until I was finished, despite all the other people who stopped by his cage. I even have video of the whole thing.
Knarik Avetisyan
Говорят, что через произведение познается автор. Все портреты По говорят, что он был рожден, чтобы стать «Вороном»...

Это одно из наиболее известных стихотворений американского писателя и поэта Эдгара Аллана По.
"Ворон" начинается с того, что неназванный рассказчик сидит декабрьской ночью за чтением старинных книг, чтобы забыть об утрате своей любви, Леноры. Он слышит стук в дверь и окно своей комнаты, и когда открывает окно, к нему заходит ворон. Не обращая внимание на человека, ворон садится на
"Quoth the raven, `Nevermore'!"

First of all, I want to review this poem without looking at any critique, just to state facts from my point of view. I think that Poe's style is very unique, even though I cannot say that I am a great knower of English poems. He really impressed me with this poem; it is somehow dark, but still formal in a way.
During a midnight, an "ebony raven" enters this man's house and sets himself above the bust of Pallas. The man tries talking to this raven, but the only word
Ahmad Sharabiani

• New Poems of Emily Dickinson
  • The Highwayman
  • Selected Letters, 1913-1965
  • The Rats in the Walls
  • The Peace of Nicias and the Sicilian Expedition (Peloponnesian War)
  • Ozymandias
  • Pushkin: A Biography
  • Invictus
  • My Life As Author And Editor
  • May
The name Poe brings to mind images of murderers and madmen, premature burials, and mysterious women who return from the dead. His works have been in print since 1827 and include such literary classics as “The Tell-Tale Heart,” “The Raven,” and “The Fall of the House of Usher.” This versatile writer’s oeuvre includes short stories, poetry, a novel, a textbook, a book of scientific theory, and hundr ...more
More about Edgar Allan Poe...

“Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
Tis some visitor," I muttered, "tapping at my chamber door —
Only this, and nothing more."

Ah, distinctly I remember it was in the bleak December,
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.
Eagerly I wished the morrow; — vainly I had sought to borrow
From my books surcease of sorrow — sorrow for the lost Lenore —
For the rare and radiant maiden whom the angels name Lenore —
Nameless here for evermore.

And the silken sad uncertain rustling of each purple curtain
Thrilled me — filled me with fantastic terrors never felt before;
So that now, to still the beating of my heart, I stood repeating,
Tis some visitor entreating entrance at my chamber door —
Some late visitor entreating entrance at my chamber door; —
This it is, and nothing more."

Presently my soul grew stronger; hesitating then no longer,
Sir," said I, "or Madam, truly your forgiveness I implore;
But the fact is I was napping, and so gently you came rapping,
And so faintly you came tapping, tapping at my chamber door,
That I scarce was sure I heard you"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing,
Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortals ever dared to dream before;
But the silence was unbroken, and the stillness gave no token,
And the only word there spoken was the whispered word, "Lenore?"
This I whispered, and an echo murmured back the word, "Lenore!" —
Merely this, and nothing more.

Back into the chamber turning, all my soul within me burning,
Soon again I heard a tapping somewhat louder than before.
Surely," said I, "surely that is something at my window lattice:
Let me see, then, what thereat is, and this mystery explore —
Let my heart be still a moment and this mystery explore; —
'Tis the wind and nothing more."

Open here I flung the shutter, when, with many a flirt and flutter,
In there stepped a stately raven of the saintly days of yore;
Not the least obeisance made he; not a minute stopped or stayed he;
But, with mien of lord or lady, perched above my chamber door —
Perched upon a bust of Pallas just above my chamber door —
Perched, and sat, and nothing more.

Then this ebony bird beguiling my sad fancy into smiling,
By the grave and stern decorum of the countenance it wore.
Though thy crest be shorn and shaven, thou," I said, "art sure no craven,
Ghastly grim and ancient raven wandering from the Nightly shore —
Tell me what thy lordly name is on the Night's Plutonian shore!"
Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore."

Much I marveled this ungainly fowl to hear discourse so plainly,
Though its answer little meaning— little relevancy bore;
For we cannot help agreeing that no living human being
Ever yet was blest with seeing bird above his chamber door —
Bird or beast upon the sculptured bust above his chamber door,
With such name as "Nevermore.”
“Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore.” 241 likes