Start by marking “Omega Minor” as Want to Read:
Omega Minor

Omega Minor

Berlin, Spring of 1995. While a group of neo-Nazis are preparing an anniversary bash of disastrous proportions, an old physics professor returns to Potsdam to atone for his sins, an Italian postdoc designs an experiment that will determine the fate of the universe, and, in a room at Le Charité, a Holocaust survivor tells his tale to the willing ear of a young psychologist. ...more
Published November 6th 2009 by Dalkey Archive Press (first published April 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Omega Minor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Omega Minor

MJ Nicholls
Can’t stretch to five stars. Close. Paul Verhaeghen is a former Netherlander teaching in Atlanta as Associate Professor of Psychology at Georgia Tech (as of writing). An unlikely candidate to produce a megalithic masterwork—and he hasn’t, not really. He has produced an excellent, engaging and complex take on the Holocaust and Hiroshima intertwined with a pulp-ish thriller spiced with embarrassing but sincere erotic moments, full of eminently quotable material (see below) and staggeringly erudite ...more
Nathan "N.R." Gaddis
Let’s get the first thing out of the way because then it’ll be feed=visible. I’ll be recommending Omega Minor to you. A big thumbs up. Not genius ; but big thumbs up. “N.R.”=stamp of approval.

The rest of this Review will be of two parts.

The generation of Shoah survivors is coming to an end. Their words, their stories, their evidence will remain. The epistemological questions will remain. We will continue to ask those questions and depend upon finding their answers in words. But will the words o
Jonfaith
Feb 13, 2014 Jonfaith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This chunk of pulsating ambition greeted me unaware in a bookshop a few years past. I politely asked my wife if she would buy it for me for Christmas. She obliged, and I read it in a frantic tear, really only pausing to buy her sister who lives in Berlin a copy. Then, it was over and I thought and pondered and moved on. There isn't much that has clung to me in the subsequent years. Maybe between Europe Central and The Kindly Ones I developed a Nazi Fatigue. I don't know.
Drew
Feb 25, 2014 Drew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I guess I'm in the minority here, but this one doesn't do it for me. Does disliking an erudite, heartfelt, Holocaust meganovel make me a monster? I hope not.

I'll start with the good: Verhaeghen's a smart guy, and Omega Minor is a correspondingly smart book with an intricately conceived (though not, I think, successfully executed) plot concerning the memoirs of a Holocaust survivor, the development of the atomic bomb, and a neo-Nazi plot to reorder Berlin, and their various interconnections. If t
Maarten
Jan 03, 2011 Maarten rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dutch, recommended
If a book could buzz, this one would. Omega Minor balances baroque descriptions with life-like storytelling, deeply philosophical thoughts with hard science, history with absurdity. The premises are familiar enough, to the point of weariness: Nazi's, Jews, The Bomb, and the gray academic life of the author's own alter ego. But in the hands of Verhaeghen, these subjects are twisted into a post-modern tale so stupidly ambitious that what impresses most in the end is how he almost, but not quite, m ...more
Erin
Mar 28, 2009 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
all i can possibly say is wow. epic. huge. for those who read vollmann's europe central, and felt the vastness of what he covered and how he told the story, this is a good next book to read. verhaeghen was his own english translator for this edition, and i think it was a brilliant move on his part. words are so infused with meaning, particularly in this story, that a less capable translator could have made an english edition truly terrible.

verhaeghen is at his best when writing from the perspect
Charles
Jan 17, 2009 Charles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve just finished reading Omega Minor by the Belgian novelist Paul Verhaeghen, a cognitive psychologist now working in the States. Originally published in Dutch, this enormous novel – 700 pages of closely-printed text - was translated into English by its author, winning the Independent Foreign Fiction prize in the process. The English, like the novel itself, is constantly inventive, and slightly quirky; Verhaeghen has stated that he decided to do the translation himself after seeing the lamenta ...more
Jason Lundberg
Four narrative strands, seemingly unrelated, sometimes told consecutively in the first person (so the reader has to figure out who's speaking), encompassing 50 years of Berlin history, the Nazi regime, the rise of communism, and the Manhattan Project. Somehow, it manages to not fall apart under its great ambition, and reveals moments of great empathy and emotion. And sex, lots of sex. Nothing is what it seems, and no one, and the stylistic prose is absolutely compelling through all 700 pages. Wi ...more
Richard O'Brien
James
Aug 11, 2015 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Omega Minor is a hugely complex novel, but one that is ultimately rewarding. In it, Verhoegan challenges notions of how memory, shared guilt and history interact in a novel that is thought-provoking but which has plenty of humanity at its heart.

In its intertwined narratives, the author has managed to create a novel about the Holocaust that is original and which also demands that we think about it from a completely different perspective – how are we going to remember the events, and properly pla
ο κανένας κανένας
A novel that seems to be less than the sum of its subplots. Every subplot could be a main theme for a shorter novel, and every subplot is interesting to read and fascinating. However all these subplots dont really add up. Overall it tends to be quite longer than it should be, most of the pages and the sex scenes don't really add substantially to the story while there are also some serious issues on the concluding events.
On the other hand it depicts a fascinating story of the 90s and 30s Berlin a
wally
Nov 19, 2015 wally rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: verhaeghen
begins:
ophelia, upon drowning
(a form of prelude)

im anfang war die tat--in the beginning was the act.
and this is what concludes that act, that serpentine pas-de-deux so skillfully performed against the satin backdrop of the blackest night: a lightening bolt hurls upward in a blinding curve of pristine white, the laws of gravity suspended for a quarter-second.

31 oct 15
i've been back at it here. will take a time to finish. time is short, days are shorter, life is good. onward ever onward. i liked t
Winnielou
Jan 19, 2014 Winnielou rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Un roman mal foutu. 1 page remarquable toutes les 100 pages, c'est du gâchis. Je ne sais pas comment l'éditeur a pu laisser passer un truc pareil... les idées sont excellentes, la réalisation est mauvaise, très mauvaise. Déjà le style est très mauvais mais cela peut être éventuellement la faute du traducteur, ensuite l'auteur se sent apparemment obligé de nous faire subir des descriptions gores et violentes toutes les trois pages, au bout d'un moment les scènes de passage à tabac ou de sexe devi ...more
Vik Berbé
May 16, 2016 Vik Berbé rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The independent: "Slechts weinig romans kunnen deze rijkdom evenaren. Omega minor is een ongewoon intellectuele, weidse en bevredigende ervaring." Wil deze kanjer absoluut nog herlezen, nu niet, eerst effe op adem komen.
Rebecca Beeckman
Jan 11, 2015 Rebecca Beeckman rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Over-the-top beschrijvingen, overvloedige verwijzingen, ontelbare adjectieven... less is more, ook in literatuur.
Lieven Coorevits
Gestopt na dertig bladzijden. Kwam bij mij over als pretentieus en bewust moeilijk doen.
Kristof Van landschoot
virtuoze mooischrijverij, net iets té ambitieusom perfect te zijn
Stamatis Kourtis
The author had some very good ideas regarding the rise of the Nazis, the voluntary and/or involuntary collaboration of germans/jews with the Nazis, etc but I am not quite sure that these ideas were presented thoroughly despite the size of the book. I think it had too many characters and parallel stories.

Also I strongly believe that presenting the phenomenon of neo-Nazis as part of The Plan it does not really say anything against fascism and rather it oversimplifies it.

Finally, don’t read from
TheLongWait
In the three months it took me to read this, I put it aside many times. It's not that I didn't like it, it's that Omega Minor was incredibly heavy. It was about the Holocaust and nuclear bombs and neo nazis and was told with little to no humor. So....why the 4 stars? Well...Verhaeghen has written a great book that explores many issues of post WWII Germany and the rest of Europe. It's well written, though awkward in some places. Not recommended for anyone looking to do some light reading.
Benny
Aug 28, 2011 Benny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very ambitious novel and a literary tour-de-force, but Paul Verhaeghen pulled it of. The Belgian author lives in the US, wrote this masterpiece in Dutch and then translated it into English himself.

Published in 2004, it is about the human condition in the 20th century, really.

A must-read for anyone prepared to be challenged.
NickdjSero
Dec 29, 2011 NickdjSero rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The greek edition is about 900 pages. For about 300 pages i was struggling to read it, thought it was boring, but i was Wrong!!! One of the greatest books i've ever read, the time i dedicated just worth it. Reading it just once certainly is not enough, you cant get deep inside all its meanings and conclusions.
Pieter Brouwer
Enkele hoofdstukken vond ik wel leuk, maar het niet het geheel. Het was te veel een vage literaire puzzel. Te prestigieus, ten koste van het leesplezier en de leesbaarheid (en dan heb ik het nog niet over het vreemde einde). Niet iedereen in de leesclub is het met mij eens - zie cijfer.
Leesclubcijfer: 7,8
Anneloes
Apr 19, 2012 Anneloes rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
To be honest: my rating is based on very incomplete reading allthough I started twice, but that 's meaningful too,isn't it? Too much 'erudition' for me.
Aug 30, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Een boek om dagenlang mee te worstelen. Zie: http://literasa.blogspot.be/2014/08/u...
Frank Debaere
Dec 19, 2010 Frank Debaere rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mooi boek over WOII, met verrassende wending. Op het einde had ik zin de auteur een bedankingsmail te sturen.
Matt
Jun 16, 2008 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I suppose the parts I loved outweighed the parts I absolutely hated in order for me to give it four stars.
Ine
Dec 02, 2011 Ine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
na 100 pagina's kon dit boek me nog steeds niet boeien, dus heb ik het maar opzij gelegd
Nele Fraeyman
Helaas te veel fantastische stukken afgewisseld met mèh-stukken...
Nmilo
Jan 17, 2013 Nmilo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eén van de betere en rijkere boeken in het Nederlands taalgebied
Laurent
Jun 10, 2011 Laurent rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Een van de beste boeken die ik ooit gelezen heb. Episch.
  • Take Five
  • The Stain
  • The Conversions
  • On Elegance While Sleeping
  • With the Animals
  • Zwerm: geschiedenis van de wereld
  • Melancholy
  • The Short Fiction of Flann O'Brien
  • Best European Fiction 2011
  • I, the Supreme
Paul Verhaeghen is een Vlaamse psycholoog en schrijver.

Paul Verhaeghen in de Nederlandstalige Wikipedia

Paul Verhaeghen in de Digitale Bibliotheek voor de Nederlandse Letteren

Paul Verhaeghen bij "Schrijversgewijs"

Paul Verhaeghen is a Belgian novelist, writing in his native Dutch.

His novels include Lichtenberg (1996) and Omega Minor (2004). Omega Minor has been translated into German (2006, Eichborn
More about Paul Verhaeghen...

“Πιστεύουμε ότι ο κόσμος είναι κατανοητός μόνο επειδή μέσα στο κρανίο μας κρύβουμε ένα μηχάνημα που αγαπά τη σημασία και τη συνοχή. Υπάρχει ένα ευχάριστο κλικ ανάμεσα στη συγχρονικότητα των νευρωνικών δικτύων και ορισμένες αρμονικές δομές στην αντίληψή μας” 1 likes
“Geschiedenis is de leugen die het heden vertelt om het verleden zin te geven.” 0 likes