Start by marking “El Ascensor Artificioso” as Want to Read:
El Ascensor Artificioso

El Ascensor Artificioso (A Series of Unfortunate Events #6)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  92,683 Ratings  ·  2,139 Reviews
The perils of the Baudelaire children continue unabated in The Ersatz Elevator, Book Six in Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events. These delightfully doomed siblings -- whose string of horrible luck began with a house fire that destroyed their belongings and left them orphaned -- continue their efforts to escape the clutches of their determinedly greedy and dasta ...more
Published October 30th 2003 by Lectorum Publications (first published February 20th 2001)

Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin
Another one I really loved. This time the kids are living with Mr. and Mrs. Squalor at the top of the penthouse at 667 Dark Avenue. Creepy :-)

There is no elevator so they have to climb the stairs to go in and out and what a climbit is! Mrs. Squalor isn't nice at all and we find out she's a schemer!

The kids also get information on their friends they met in the other book.

And of course there is Olaf!!!
Michelle K
Dec 23, 2011 Michelle K rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, reread
>Originally read in 2010.
>Reread November 28 - 29, 2013

Dear Count Olaf,

Sincerly,
Violet, Klaus and Sunny Baudelaire
Vanz
Jan 21, 2017 Vanz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-reads
4.5

OMG OMG THIS KEEPS GETTING BETTER AND BETTER!

I think this may be the best entry to the series as far as the first 6 books are concerned. A lot of revelations were revealed, especially with regards to the Quagmire twins. I knew there was something fishy going on with Esmé Squalor as soon as she was introduced in this book. As for Jerome Squalor...why? Just why would he abandon and give away the Baudelaires? I feel like he would be a really great guardian for them. Oh well, I understand his
Mark Lawrence
I'm slowly catching up with the reviews on ASoUE. Currently I'm reading book 12 of 13 to Celyn.

The story formula is eroding by book 6 and some welcome variety / twists are introduced.

More surreal adventure, more amusement for the adults in the translation of Sunny's bon mots. More skulduggery from Count Olaf and friends. Very few questions answered and lots more posed.

Whilst the absurdity doesn't scale the heights of Sunny's teeth vs sword duel in book 4 we do get to see Sunny scale the heights
Skeletonized
Jan 08, 2013 Skeletonized rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm getting tired and bored of this. Nothing new happens! The same things happen again and again and again and again.... Had it not been for the author's pleasant and playful style I would have threw this out the window. URGH!
Spoilers ahead!
Seriously now. Halfway through I know what is going to happen: the Baulderies will find out a way to stop Count Olaf who will be revealed in the end (with Mr. Poe assisting, appearing from nowhere at all, coming from the mountains in a random place) and manag
Kate (GirlReading)
I definitely felt the spark from the first couple of books in the series return in this! It was a lot grittier and less repetitive than the last few, (which I was beginning to find a little tedious) but I thoroughly enjoyed it!! I loved that, although the basic plot was still very similar, there were added extras too. I'm really enjoying the newly introduced mystery surrounding the Quagmire triplets and the unexplained discoveries that occurred. This has definitely been one of my favourite addit ...more
Ashley Daviau
Jan 24, 2017 Ashley Daviau rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No matter how many times I read this book, I always come to the same conclusion. Esme is my least favourite character that we are introduced to throughout this series. Other than Count Olaf, of course! She's just so self absorbed and so nasty to the Baudelaires, it's incredible. I particularly enjoy the series starting with this book, it starts getting a lot more intricate what with V.F.D. and the secret tunnel being revealed and I love the layers that these elements add to the plot!
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Ersatz Elevator (A Series of Unfortunate Events #6), Lemony Snicket
عنوان: آسانسور قلابی: سری ماجراهای بچه های بدشانس - کتاب ششم؛ نویسنده: لمونی (لیمونی) اسنیکت؛ تصویرگر: برت هالکویست؛ مترجم: نسترن پاشایی (پاشائی)؛ تهران، ماهی، 1383؛ در 186 ص، مصور؛ شابک دوره: 9649333304؛ شابک جلد 6: 9789647948418؛ چاپ سوم 1386؛ چهارم 1387؛ پنجم 1388؛ ششم 1389؛
بچه ها به خانه ی قیم های جدیدشان، ازمی و جروم اسکوالر میروند. ازمی که فردی ثروتمند و مد پرست است به گروه «کنت الاف» میپیوندد، تا ثروت آنها را به چنگ
Lauren
I'm starting to like this series even more. It may be repetitive but there's more mystery to it and I want to keep reading to find it out. So excited to start the next book!!!
Mahshad Blue
Feb 23, 2017 Mahshad Blue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
به نیمه ی این کتاب رسیده ام و احساس می کنم که باید درباره اش بنویسم. این روزها بیشتر وقتم رو تو اتوبوس و یا مترو می گذرونم و بهترین کتاب هایی که می تونم تو اون حجم از شلوغی خفقان آور بخونم همین کتاب هان.
من عاشق این مجموعه شده ام. با اینکه خیلی از اتفاقات ساده و حتی بچه گونه هستن، با اینکه بیشتر از اینکه از کنت اولاف حرصم بگیره از خود بودلرها شاکی می شم!
استایل نویسنده رو خیلی خیلی خیلی دوست داشتم و خیلی دوست دارم بدونم که مترجم چه طور قسمت هایی که کلمات رو معنی می کنه ترجمه کرده.
فعلا یه کم از ا
Liam
Jan 31, 2017 Liam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
( 3.5 STARS )

Not my favourite in the series but it was still a great and addictive read! The plot was a little dull in my opinion but I did enjoy the Squalors and the way that Sunny seems to be growing and developing as an individual.
C.W.
Mar 09, 2016 C.W. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Listened to this and the two before it in one sitting at work one day. This is one of my favorites so far, along with The Reptile Room. Despite the same thing happening in each and every book for the most part, this one managed to introduce some new things and keep things interesting for continuing on. The humor in this one is pretty fantastic also.
Anastasia ^^
Ένα καυστικό βιβλίο για την μόδα... για παιδιά φυσικά. Το πόσο ηλίθιο είναι να αλλάζει κάποιος γνώμη τόσο γρήγορα και ακόμα και για ηλίθια, χάλια και τελείως μη πρακτικά πράγματα. Επίσης και για τους ανθρώπους που δεν λογομαχούν,δεν υποστηρίζουν τις απόψεις τους ή τα θέλω τους που είναι ακόμα πιο απογοητευτικό...
Carlos.
Jan 31, 2017 Carlos. rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
Quizás este me haya aburrido un poquito más que los anteriores, pero me sigue encantando la forma de contar las cosas de Lemony Snicket y estoy deseando saber qué les ocurrirá a los Baudelaire. ♡
Nicanor
Frustrating, although that comes from reading this series
Melanie
“The children knew, as I'm sure you know, that there is usually no reason to be afraid of the dark, but even if you are not particularly afraid of something, you might not want to get near it”

This installment wasn't my favorite but there was still lots to enjoy about it.

The Baudelaire children are back again and as unlucky as usual. This time the Baudelaire's are staying with a couple that is obsessed with anything "in," meaning trendy. This leads to some great satire and some really fun s
Elaina
This was okay...but not a favorite :/ Esmé Squalor is definitely one of the worst guardians that the Baudelaire children have had in my opinion...I guess that is all I will say for now--Sorry, I know that wasn't much of a review XD
Hayk Mirzoyan
The book "The Ersatz Elevator" is a book I chose to read, because it looked interesting and I thought the title would lead to an interesting story. In this book, three orphans named Violet, Klaus and Sunny(whose parents were killed in a fire), had to live with the Squalors, and soon, a evil man named Olaf who had been chasing them for their enormous fortune, caught up with them. The three kids had to avoid his nasty clutches, and also rescue their two friends who got captured by Olaf, in the fif ...more
Mel
Jul 06, 2012 Mel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reread. Possibly one of my favourites but I HATE Esme.
Rebecca McNutt
Elevators are creepy enough on their own, but this dark addition to the Unfortunate Events series takes it to a whole new level. Incredible story, and definitely worth reading. :)
Kristin
"He's a genius! He's a wonderful acting teacher! And he's the handsomest, innest man in town!"

"Don't be absurd!" Jerome said. "Ruthless kidnapping villains aren't in!"

"You're right."
Ciara
as this book begins, it seems that the baudelaires have maybe finally caught a break, sort of. yes, the street they live on now is completely overgrown with big bushy trees so it's as black as night even in the middle of the day, which is weird. & the elevator is out of order, so they have to walk up god knows how many flights of stairs (dozens) to get to their new penthouse home. but when they meet their new caretaker, jerome, he seems like a nice guy. he's very accomodating & listens t ...more
Chris Blocker
Okay, these books are supposed to be absurd. I get it. But I was somehow able to not let my obsessive sensibilities get in the way through the first five books in this series. It didn't matter than a baby was dangled in a cage, that an old curmudgeon almost tricked a judge into marrying a minor, that children worked in a lumber mill, that these children could stay awake for twenty-four hours day after day, that there are banana-eating leeches that can capsize a boat, and that anyone would hire S ...more
Nadine
Feb 22, 2016 Nadine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"If we wait until we're ready, we'll be waiting for the rest of our lives."

The plot thickens!! What is V.F.D.? Who is Beatrice? Who and where are the Quagmires? I have so many questions after this installment in The Series of Unfortunate Events.

Full series review: https://todaysechos.wordpress.com/201...
Melissa
Jan 22, 2015 Melissa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rereads, read-2015
Another fun, super quick read by the ever entertaining Lemony Snicket. I loved these books as a kid, and even though I don't quite love them as much now, they're still very interesting, well written books and I think this is a series everyone can enjoy.
Josh BookDragon
Nov 29, 2014 Josh BookDragon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ReRead! :)
Tasha (faeriedrugs)
I think this one might be my favorite so far and I'm really intrigued to see how the story continues now.
Billie
Mar 16, 2016 Billie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely my favourite of the series so far :)
Simona Stoica
Mar 19, 2017 Simona Stoica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am not ok.
Cath
Feb 05, 2017 Cath rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4/5 stars.
  • Dreadful Acts (The Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #2)
  • The Wrath of Mulgarath (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #5)
  • The Curse of Deadman's Forest (Oracles of Delphi Keep, #2)
  • Fiendish Deeds (Joy of Spooking, #1)
  • The Haunting of Granite Falls
  • The Valley of Adventure (Adventure, #3)
  • Molly Moon Stops the World (Molly Moon, #2)
  • Charlie Bone and the Castle of Mirrors (The Children of the Red King, #4)
  • The Discovery (Dive, #1)
  • If You're Reading This, It's Too Late (Secret, #2)
  • The Edge Chronicles 6: Midnight Over Sanctaphrax: Third Book of Twig
  • Sammy Keyes and the Psycho Kitty Queen (Sammy Keyes, #9)
  • Otto and the Flying Twins (The Karmidee, #1)
  • Sophie's Secret (Sophie, #2)
  • Wayside School Gets A Little Stranger (Wayside School #3)
  • Mostly Sunny with a Chance of Storms
  • Everything New Under The Sun (The Amazing Days of Abby Hayes, #10)

For A Series of Unfortunate Events:
www.lemonysnicket.com

For All The Wrong Questions:
www.lemonysnicketlibrary.com
More about Lemony Snicket...

A Series of Unfortunate Events (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1)
  • The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2)
  • The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #3)
  • The Miserable Mill (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #4)
  • The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #5)
  • The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #7)
  • The Hostile Hospital (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #8)
  • The Carnivorous Carnival (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #9)
  • The Slippery Slope (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #10)
  • The Grim Grotto (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #11)

“One of the greatest myths in the world - & the phrase 'greatest myths' is just a fancy way of saying 'big fat lies' -- is that troublesome things get less & less troublesome if you do them more & more. People say this myth when they are teaching children to ride bicycles, for instance, as though falling off a bicycle & skinning your knee is less troublesome the fourteenth time you do it than it is the first time. The truth is that troublesome things tend to remain troublesome no matter how many times you do them, & that you should avoid doing them unless they are absolutely urgent.” 485 likes
“If we wait until we're ready, we'll be waiting for the rest of our lives.” 461 likes