Start by marking “Spike: Shadow Puppets ” as Want to Read:
Spike: Shadow Puppets

Spike: Shadow Puppets (Spike Comics (Buffy Vampire Slayer))

Angel once put a stop to an evil children's show, but not before being turned into a puppet during his fight. Now, fresh out of the Asylum, it's Spike's turn! This collection sees Spike and Lorne heading off to Japan to stop the latest Japanese kids' show - 'Smile Time!' Will they become 'puppetized' themselves?
Published December 25th 2007 by IDW Publishing (first published July 18th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Spike, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spike

Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Spike and Lorne travel to Japan to take on the demonic puppets from Smile Time. What they don't image is that there will be some familiar puppet faces against them...

Spike is quite happy being alone fighting evil when Lorne drops by with a case for him that will take them to Japan and face evil puppets, but of course everyhting goes awfully wrong...

The puppet enemies have turned them into...puppets...

And now puppet Spike and puppet Lorne has to stop the evil puppets or they will suck the childre
Arie ☂

All you really need to know about this volume is that Spike goes to Japan and gets to experience the joy of being a wee little puppet man just like Angel. I think that's karma.

Besides the hilarity of puppet shenanigans, there's tons of meta references to make you chuckle.

And sometimes it's the little details. Look at this adorable little Angel doll in the background at Spike's place.

Alice Rachel
Mar 25, 2016 Alice Rachel rated it it was amazing
This was pretty funny. Not sure how Spike can bite with fabric puppet teeth, but still funny.
Claire
Jul 14, 2011 Claire rated it really liked it
This volume comes after Spike: Asylum which I haven't read yet. Though there was some back story to some characters new to me, it still read fine as a standalone.

I really enjoyed reading a tale from Spike's point of view, and this one is pretty light-hearted. Puppets, woo! If you enjoyed the Angel episode, "Smile Time," you should get a kick out of this book.
周婉蓮 차우 크리스티나 Cass
Shortest review ever for me:

Ninja puppets!!!

'Nuff said. :D
Reese
Mar 17, 2011 Reese rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of the Buffyverse
Spike and the gang as puppets? Come on now... what's not to love?
Kristina
May 14, 2008 Kristina rated it it was amazing
I like Spike. And he's great as a puppet. As well as Lorne. Green puppets are almost as cute as vampire puppets.
May 16, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this story. The episode of Angel where he fights Smile Time is one of my favorites. So, a Spike version is better IMO.
Thenia
Mar 04, 2017 Thenia rated it really liked it
Spike is turned into a puppet, like Angel once did, with hilarious results.

Very enjoyable, with the usual snarky Spike humor that I find I've missed terribly.
Hayley Knighten
Buffyverse and Muppets: two of my favorite things together in one action-packed Spike series! Anyone who has seen the Angel series episode Smile Time can remember the demonic children's show that turned the broodiest vampire with a soul into a wee little puppet man. Now Smile Time is back on the air, this time in Japan. Spike is recruited to save the day and backing him are Betta George, Beck, Lorne and a new character, a ninja named Tok.

Shadow Puppets has everything that is great about the Buff
Greg
Nov 17, 2011 Greg rated it did not like it
So I re-watched the original Smile Time episode of Angel before reading this and, well, I didn't think it was that good. At the time, I think I just got a kick out of seeing puppet Angel but, taken out of context, I thought the writing, acting and direction were all pretty poor. Seemed like just a gimmick. I was surprised to find that it was so close to the end of the series. In any case, I also didn't really care for this follow-up comic. It essentially copied the original and brought back a wh ...more
Aspasia
Sep 24, 2008 Aspasia rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Buffy/Angel/Spike fans, comic fans
Indah Threez Lestari
LOLROTF!!!
If you thought "Smile Time" episode from Angel TV Series is funny, this book waaaay much funnier! Spike as a puppet much cuter than Angel, and he doesn't lose his sense of humor!

As printed in the last page of the book, moral of the story is:
Puppets should probably not pick fights with vampires. It seriously never works out for them!
StrangeBedfellows
Dec 10, 2012 StrangeBedfellows rated it really liked it
Buffy-fans, you absolutely cannot miss this one. Not only is the general concept of our favorite vampire turned into a "wee little puppet man" hilarious, this is also a really good story. Very fun, very entertaining.
Jan 20, 2008 Sarah rated it really liked it
It gets 4 stars only because occasionally I disliked the artwork. But honestly? This graphic novel had me laughing so hard I think I had tears in my eyes.

I will forever now think of vamps as sucking on lemons. And Lorne as Kermit the Frog. Lovely.
Nov 13, 2012 Matt rated it liked it
I think the best part of this is the writer's commentary, in which Lynch reveals all the in-jokes and references to the Buffyverse. Let-me-tell-you-what-I-was-thinking-and-how-it-connects-with-my-life commentary is always so inviting, like I can now say that I know him personally.
Andrea
May 06, 2009 Andrea rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of the muppet Angel episode
First, this book is really funny if you've seen enough Angel and Buffy to understand all the side jokes. On the other hand, at times it gets a little too silly. Lovely art and coloring -- that's one of my favorite things about Buffy/Angel comics.
Stephanie Krause
May 15, 2011 Stephanie Krause rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Whedon fans. :)
Was a fun one. Guess I need to read Spike:Asylum as well to get all the references/character origins, though.
Aug 23, 2007 Matt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic
Having the wit and odd complexity of the souled vampire Spike work in comic book form is a challenge, but that was met.
Mairi
Mar 23, 2015 Mairi rated it liked it
This was a silly fun story, featuring a return of the Smile Time puppets; this time in Japan. For whatever reason, I didn't find the self-referential humor as enjoyable as I did in the Angel episode.
Macha
May 27, 2012 Macha rated it it was amazing
5 stars.
Victoria
Aug 07, 2009 Victoria rated it it was ok
Recommended to Victoria by: Natalia
Well, that was about as bad as I was hoping it wouldn't be. But then, I didn't like the puppet episode much, either. Or was it Angel that I didn't like, again? Hmm.
Angela
May 16, 2012 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, idw
This has some laugh out loud moments. Think Spike taking on the Smile Time demons with Lorne. Lots of puppet fun, some nice injokes about firefly and other characters. A nice light hearted read
Michael
Apr 26, 2016 Michael rated it it was amazing
Squee!
Kate
Nov 16, 2013 Kate rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Would be a 3 star novel if not for the last chapter, which is just so brilliantly bonkers, and a great fourth wall breaking nod to fans of the Buffyverse.
Oct 17, 2007 Matt added it
Wow. Should someone look at all the books I have on my list, I'd imagine that they'd assume I'm 5. My buddy wrote this, too. FUN stuff.
Kirsten
Aug 04, 2015 Kirsten rated it really liked it
I loved the fact that the creatures from the Buffy episode "Hush" appeared at the end in the one block. That was good. Little puppets Lorne and Spike were adorable and were so funny.
Sharon
Oct 07, 2013 Sharon rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Fun, odd comic loaded with Buffy and Angel in-jokes. If you haven't seen those, expect to be a little lost. Great dialoge and the writer's nites at the end are the best part.
Summer
Aug 22, 2008 Summer rated it really liked it
Pretty good all in all. Especially like the page-to-page comment by the writer at the end of the book.
I am giving it a 4 because it is the first I read and I am hoping there will be better ones.
Brian
Jan 31, 2008 Brian rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
a fun sequel to an fun episode of angel. I especially enjoyed the 'director's cut' of comments in the back explaining all of the in-jokes and references, pretty much panel-for-panel.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Spike vs. Dracula
  • Angel: Only Human
  • Spike: A Dark Place
  • Tales of the Vampires (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #2)
  • Illyria: Haunted
  • Angel: Aftermath (Volume 5)
  • Angel, Volume 1: Immortality For Dummies
  • Angel & Faith: Family Reunion (Angel & Faith, #3)
  • Spike: The Devil You Know
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: No Future for You (Season 8, #2)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: On Your Own (Season 9, #2)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Wolves at the Gate (Season 8, #3)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Predators and Prey (Season 8, #5)
  • Angel, Volume 3: The Wolf, the Ram, and the Hart
Brian Michael Lynch is an American film and comic book writer.
More about Brian Lynch...

Spike Comics (Buffy Vampire Slayer) (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Spike
  • Spike vs. Dracula
  • Spike: Old Times (Buffy The Vampire Slayer)
  • Spike: Asylum