Start by marking “Letter to My Daughter” as Want to Read:
Letter to My Daughter

Letter to My Daughter

4.07  ·  Rating Details ·  11,069 Ratings  ·  1,312 Reviews
Dedicated to the daughter she never had but sees all around her, 'Letter to My Daughter' reveals Maya Angelou's path to living well and living a life with meaning.
Published October 1st 2009 by Virago Press (UK) (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Letter to My Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Letter to My Daughter

Tamara
Oct 27, 2008 Tamara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading Maya Angelou is like getting a big hug on a bad day. She has the most comforting voice, and may be the wisest person I can think of. I want to be like her when I grow up.

Favorite Quotes:

Make every effort to change things you do not like. If you cannot make a change, change the way you have been thinking.

I remind myself it is sufficient to know what I know, and that what I know, may not always be true.

[I] try to be present and accountable for all I do and leave undone.
Cheri
Mar 27, 2017 Cheri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites, 2017, faith
There’s part of me that just wants to hold onto this lovely little gem of a book, to just hold onto these words a little longer in the hopes they’ll more thoroughly permeate my soul. There’s the other part of me that wants to share her message, abounding in beauty, grief, tenderness, joy, life lessons overflowing with wisdom, faith. Most of all, her wisdom, the knowledge and understanding she shares on life; and while this book is a letter to the daughters she never gave birth to, she acknowledg ...more
Candi
"I gave birth to one child, a son, but I have thousands of daughters. You are Black and White, Jewish and Muslim, Asian, Spanish-speaking, Native American and Aleut. You are fat and thin and pretty and plain, gay and straight, educated and unlettered, and I am speaking to you all. Here is my offering to you."

This is a lovely series of Maya Angelou's essays dedicated to all women of the world. She shares some of her most touching life stories, divulges words of wisdom, and muses on those topics w
Jean
“I gave birth to one child, a son, but I have thousands of daughters. You are Black and White, Jewish and Muslim, Asian, Spanish-speaking, Native American and Aleut. You are fat and thin and pretty and plain, gay and straight, educated and unlettered, and I am speaking to you. Here is my offering to you.”

So speaks Maya Angelou in the Preface to Letter to My Daughter, her third book of essays. The book is a slim volume, containing twenty-eight short pieces, which are titled by theme. Examples are
Marilyn C.
Apr 10, 2017 Marilyn C. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible, read-in-2017
4.5 Stars

I listened to Maya Angelou, with her mesmerizing voice, read her inspiring and thought provoking words written for the daughters she never had throughout the world. This book is full of wisdom and deep insight, and you cannot help but to be moved by this woman's generous spirit.

I highly recommend listening to this book and I thought the essays were so powerful I will be purchasing a c
Diane S ☔
Mar 31, 2016 Diane S ☔ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wisdom imparted, garnered from a lifetime of pain and joy, essays written to the daughters of the world, she had none of her own. Simply beautiful.
EJ
Oct 04, 2008 EJ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
Angelou's book, Letter to My Daughter caught my eye immediately as I was browsing the shelves at Barnes and Noble. I picked it up and settled in a comfy chair with my latte and my soon to be good friend Maya. I was ready for advice, wisdom, love and experiences from a woman who has lived many more lives than I could ever imagine. Not to mention one who puts it so eloquently.

It is a craving of 20somethings to be gently advised in life from those who have already gone through the same struggles. I
ZaRi
به این نتیجه رسیده ام که بیشتر ِ مردم بزرگ نمی شوند. ما جای پارک خودمان را پیدا می کنیم و به کارت های اعتباری مان افتخار می کنیم. ازدواج می کنیم و جرات می کنیم بچه دار شویم و به آن بزرگ شدن می گوییم. اما فکر کنم بیشترین کاری که می کنیم پیر شدن است. ما تراکم سال ها را در بدن های مان و روی صورت های مان این طرف و آن طرف می بریم اما معمولا خود حقیقی ما، کودک درون مان، هنوز بی گناه است و مثل گیاه مگنولیا خجالتی است.
Cheryl
My rating of this is based on the content, voice, and my teary-eyed reading experience. Within a few hours, I was done reading this book and I felt as if Maya Angelou was sitting next to me, telling me her story, and giving me advice. She discloses a few things about her young adult (and adult) life, things relatable to most women. Admittedly, I did feel like her daughter when I read this (yes, I'm that sentimental).
Shannon
May 28, 2014 Shannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
My dad sent me this book when it was first released. I'm starting to think I need to drop everything I'm reading and read all of the books he's sent me, which are not nearly as close to the top of my to-read pile as they apparently should be.

This book is a love letter. It's a book that says, these are the lessons that you do not have to learn for yourself. I get a little emotional when I think about it that way actually.

I finished it in couple of hours. When I was done, I had marked something
Rachel
Aug 15, 2010 Rachel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I guess I haven't really read Maya Angelou before so I may not have acquired the taste for her writing and the requisite knowledge of the form to understand this book. I often feel this way upon encountering poetry (adult contemporary poetry--I can handle Ogden Nash and Shel Silverstein and a variety of poems we had to memorize in high school English). Though this book is mostly prose, the stylization of the prose is not my favorite (or perhaps I should say it is not in my comfort zone). The boo ...more
Maria
Dec 08, 2012 Maria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started this book a long, long time ago. Things became really hectic, and I wasn't able to finish it. Well yesterday was finally the right time to sit down and read it (somewhat again). I ended up starting over and I read 79 pages in one sitting. Today I read the remaining pages. I loved it. I love Maya Angelou. Her style is one of my absolute favorites.

This book isn't like the storytelling in her autobiographies that are loved by so many. Rather it's a collection of her experiences, poetry, c
Alice Lippart
Very much like a hug in book format and it's made me desperately want to read Angelou's autobiographies.
Kate
Nov 17, 2008 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book, quick read. Maya Angelou is so witty, I never realized! She is also so inspirational and genuine.
Teresa
Jan 14, 2015 Teresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, non-fiction
I need to review books before moving on to the next one. I always do a better job when it is still fresh in my mind.

This slim volume has substance and unusual topics. What a remarkable life Maya Angelou lived and yet, how humble and thoughtful in her musings.

I was especially struck by several chapters. I loved that she echoed my feelings on vulgarity.

"We need to have the courage to say obesity is not funny and vulgarity is not amusing. Insolent children and submissive parents are not the chara
Elizabeth
Jan 09, 2009 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Go ahead and judge me, I listned to this as an itunes audio file. But! with good reason. This is Maya Angelous's life story - her different trials and triumphs that have made her the woman in our history that should be so reveered. I found it fitting to listen to her tell her own story. Although, so much of this quick read is profound that I will also be getting the hard copy so that I can study her words and teachings.

pay note to her discussion on faith and god.
her coverage of race
her own dark
Debbie
May 30, 2015 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maya Angelou is of our most revered writers, she is one of the wisest women to ever lived.
This brief summary accounts details from her life and experiences, her candid and sometimes provocative nature, the wisdom that living those moments has brought her. She never had a daughter of her own and saw glimpses in women around her and wanted to pass on some of her insights to these 'daughters'

I would mark it as a 5 but was slightly undone by the religious references. I tend to balk at any mention o
MissSugarTown
Apr 09, 2012 MissSugarTown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A kind of perfect book for me.
Ying Ying
Jun 01, 2017 Ying Ying rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is short. Each chapter is delightfully compact and full of impact. Maya Angelou shows us that it just takes a few words, a few minutes to transmit the most important messages we need in life. She shows us that letters will survive even when the author is no longer there; Maya will continue to inspire women forever.
Darcy
Apr 25, 2017 Darcy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an extraordinary collection of short essays. This was my first adult introduction to Maya Angelou's work and I was amazed and deeply touched by her life. She has a simple yet profound way of expressing herself... poetic and stirring. I went straight on to reading Why the Caged Bird Sings. Thank you, my dear friend Susan for the recommendation and the loans!
Sonja Arlow
I specifically wanted the audio book as she really had a very distinct voice and I wanted HER to tell her own story.

Only about 1/3 held life stories of universal wisdom while also showing a very humble (and funny) woman. I would have given this book a higher rating had there been more of these because I truly loved them. Some of my favourites were:

1) The Moroccan coffee experience
2) The rugs in a house in Senegal
3) The restaurant scene with the waitress and grits

I am not going to elaborate on th
Noha
Feb 10, 2014 Noha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I've always admired the African Americans. They're the "minority" that stood for themselves. And it happens to be February is the African American History Month, so what better way to celebrate it than reading a memoir or poem by one of their icons; Maya Angelou.

“I gave birth to one child, a son, but I have thousands of daughters. You are Black and White, Jewish and Muslim, Asian, Spanish speaking, Native Americans and Aleut. You are fat and thin and pretty and plain, gay and straight, educated
Nov 27, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
Highly recommended. I listened to the audio book version, and particularly enjoyed that it was read by the author (and eloquent orator, I might add), Maya Angelou, herself. It added to the personal message of each of the short essays and enhanced my enjoyment overall. There are so many quotable moments, though, that I found that I'd really like a written copy of my own to go back to. Maya Angelou speaks her wisdom and opinions on the important virtues of life from her personal experiences, humbl ...more
Miyanni 4sho
Oct 23, 2008 Miyanni 4sho rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-quarter
Lori
A very nice read. Maya Angelou puts together some of her best writings. Some are essays, some poetry. small snippets from her many other books. She wrote the book in "dedication to her daughters" she does not have an actual daughter of her own. She wrote these short "chapters" as a love letter to the daughters of her heart. each has a lesson of what she has learned in life and what she wants to pass on to other women. I enjoyed this books quite a bit. She is a very wise and brilliant woman. anyo ...more
Kathleen
Maya Angelou is a universal mother. Through her words she takes you into her arms when you’re out of sorts, comforts you, and then gives it to you straight. You walk away with your head held high, knowing what you have to do.

This book allows the reader to become her daughter, her friend, the couple at whose wedding she speaks, the students listening to her commencement address. It is a personal and priceless gift.
Anfal Alsultan
Aug 09, 2015 Anfal Alsultan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very touching. Thank you, Maya Angelou!
Darkowaa
Jul 08, 2014 Darkowaa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
!!! https://africanbookaddict.com/2016/08...
She can do no wrong! Uplifting and familiar if you've read her autobiographies.
Suzan
Apr 27, 2017 Suzan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clear, authentic Maya Angelou. I can't judge it when it's written so authentically; it goes beyond judging books to judging human experience.
Susan Grace
Apr 02, 2017 Susan Grace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maya Angelou is such a lovely writer. I appreciate her desire to share her experiences, questions, musings, understandings, and feelings with her "daughters" of the world. Her love of life and humanity is evident in these writings. Suitable reading for her sons of the world as well!
  • The Last Gift of Time: Life Beyond Sixty
  • I Wonder as I Wander: An Autobiographical Journey
  • The Grace of Silence: A Memoir
  • The Women Who Raised Me: A Memoir
  • Living and Dying in Brick City
  • Speaking for Myself: The Autobiography
  • Led by Faith: Rising from the Ashes of the Rwandan Genocide
  • Just Wait Till You Have Children of Your Own!
  • Saga no Gabai Bachan (Nenek Hebat dari Saga)
  • Michelle: A Biography
  • When Life Lights Up
  • I Haiku You
  • Letters from the Land of Cancer
  • Bone Black: Memories of Girlhood
Maya Angelou, born Marguerite Ann Johnson April 4, 1928 in St. Louis, Missouri, was an American poet, memoirist, actress and an important figure in the American Civil Rights Movement. In 2001 she was named one of the 30 most powerful women in America by Ladies Home Journal. Maya Angelou is known for her series of six autobiographies, starting with I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, (1969) which was ...more
More about Maya Angelou...

“I can be changed by what happens to me. But I refuse to be reduced by it.

(Popular misquote of "You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them.")”
6647 likes
“You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them.” 4687 likes