Start by marking “Breathing, In Dust” as Want to Read:
Breathing, In Dust

Breathing, In Dust

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Deep within California’s golden agricultural heartland lies a rotten core: the fictional farming community of Catela, where the desperate realities of poverty, drug abuse, violence, and bigotry play out in the lives of cucarachas and coyotes, tweekers and strippers, wetbacks and white trash. Seventeen-year-old Tlaloc, namesake of the Aztec god of fertility and destruction,
Published March 15th 2010 by Texas Tech University Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Breathing, In Dust, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breathing, In Dust

Blood Promise by Richelle MeadAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerBorn at Midnight by C.C. HunterAlice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll
Titles that start with #, A, or B
353rd out of 532 books — 36 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanSilence by Becca FitzpatrickCrescendo by Becca FitzpatrickHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling
Ultimate Favs
44th out of 49 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Barbara Brannon
Every once in a while a short novel--think Bright Lights, Big City-- captures the very moment of a place and culture through its precise use of every word, every scene. This is what Tim Hernandez has done for the Central Valley of California in his debut novel.
(Full disclosure: I handle marketing and promotions for the publisher of this title. But I post reviews only of those titles I've read and appreciated--and want my friends to read too!)
Cheryl Klein
It takes a poet to describe the Central Valley's unique beauties and harsh details so poignantly, and Tim Z. Hernandez is the right poet for the job. The language here is limber, ranging from elevated metaphor to first-person high school kid to an epistle by the kid's dad, who clearly doesn't write a lot of letters. All of it feels authentic. This novel-in-stories is more like a series of vignettes, though there is an arc (Tlaloc, the child of farm workers, struggles to get out of the town he lo ...more
Kelly
A very impressive prose work that showcases all of Hernandez's capabilities as a poet. As unflinchingly brutal as the stories may be, this book's nearly impossible to put down. Hernandez gives us the real heart of California--the San Joaquin--in Breathing, In Dust, and while it's tough to handle, the story of the real people of California demands our attention.
Nicholas Belardes
A beautiful, poetic and sometimes raw view of the deepest heart of California's Great Central Valley. Hernandez is a great writer and his words resonate so well. I should add he is a masterful reader. The best I have ever heard. He literally puts on a show and transforms into his characters.
Gary
Great insight into the lives of Mexican migrant workers in Southern California. I loved it. Many of the chapters start off with subtlety and Timothy ratchets up the intensity making it a great, quick read. My favorite chapter was "Catching The Train"
Shelby
I had to read this for an English class in College and I absolutely loved it. There were some parts where I got lost and confused, but in the end I thought it was completely realistic.
Christine Granados
Liked. I'm still haunted by the maggots in the grandmother's incision. Ewe.
Peter
Hernandez hits it out of the ballpark.
John Allen
John Allen marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
John
John marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Fatima E.
Fatima E. marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Verónica Reyes
Verónica Reyes marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Jeanette
Jeanette marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Mark Broadhead
Mark Broadhead marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2014
Devoya
Devoya added it
Jan 08, 2014
Kenny Kruse
Kenny Kruse marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2013
Linda Laporta
Linda Laporta marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2013
Lesa Adalian
Lesa Adalian marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2013
Dawn
Dawn added it
Sep 25, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Mañana Means Heaven Skin Tax Natural Takeover of Small Things Culture of Flow Breathing, In Dust (The Americas Series)