Start by marking “Uncommon Faith” as Want to Read:
Uncommon Faith

Uncommon Faith

3.62  ·  Rating Details  ·  37 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Change is coming to the mid-nineteenth-century town of Millbrook, Massachusetts, whether folks are ready for it or not. Old traditions and values are being questioned, especially by an outspoken young woman named Faith Common. She defies expectations that women be obedient and limit their education to domestic duties such as sewing. Faith is determined to find her own trut ...more
Published November 1st 2003 by Holiday House

To ask other readers questions about Uncommon Faith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uncommon Faith

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryPippi Longstocking by Astrid LindgrenHarry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingA Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba BrayThe Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
Fictional Redheads
124th out of 148 books — 100 voters
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingLyra's Oxford by Philip PullmanThe City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrauBlue is for Nightmares by Laurie Faria StolarzWasteland by Francesca Lia Block
YA Novels of 2003
70th out of 109 books — 18 voters

More lists with this book...

Bonnie
Sep 13, 2007 Bonnie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of Victorian stories, and girl power stories
This was a really good read.
The story takes place in a small town in America during one year in the 1830's. The story is about events, both large and small, that happen during that year. The story is told through short chapters that are in the voice of alternating town members. About 10 town members tell the story, and for about the first 30 pages it's hard to keep everyone straight, but you quickly figure out who everyone is.
The title comes from one of the residents of the town, a teenager nam
Katie
Feb 11, 2009 Katie rated it liked it
Uncommon Faith was a good book. The only thing about it is that when you read the inside cover it sounds a lot different than what it really is. Also there are so many different points of views and people in this book, it gets confusing! Over all though I thought this was a very good book!
Jenn
Aug 18, 2009 Jenn rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
This book is written from many points of view and at first I had a hard time remembering who was who and who was telling the story. But once I got past this I found this one to be a good story that I recommend to my young adult students looking for something for that pesky book report.
Rachel
Aug 09, 2007 Rachel rated it really liked it
YA book about a Civil War-era New England town. Narrated by the various members of the town. Good stuff about abolitionism, educating women, women's suffrage, and gender roles.
Carolyn
Dec 19, 2014 Carolyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: a-good-one-yes
I liked this book. I liked the life questions and subliminal spirituality in this book. My two favorite characters were Biddy Bostick--she's a riot. But then I love proud spinster characters. I also liked poor Celia Tanner. I could at times relate to her too. Very much enjoyed over fairly busy 4 days.
Clarissa
Oct 15, 2015 Clarissa rated it liked it
this was a entertaining historical fiction, I enjoyed the characters but did not enjoy the writing style. it was snippets of each characters perspective which is a new and different type of book for me but....there were to many characters to keep straight!
Vicki
Jul 10, 2012 Vicki rated it liked it
Shelves: teen
Do you know who you are? Do you have certain things you believe in? In the mid 19th centure teen of Millbrook-traditions and values are being questioned. 15 yr old red-haired Faith Common is at the center of most of the questioning. "Quakers believe what the Bible says" in Glatioans. That God makes no distiction between Jew & Greek, slave or free, male or femal. So gilrs can learn math, have values inside & outside the home, individual should be allowed choices. From many of the towns pe ...more
Megan
Apr 11, 2009 Megan rated it really liked it
Girl in 1830's struggles with "things everyone 'knows' that just aren't true." Whole novel done through many people's perspectives.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Unusual story about an outspoken young woman who has ideas about religion different from everyone else in her town.
Trisha Beukelman
Trisha Beukelman marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Lydia Hattrick
Lydia Hattrick rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2016
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Monica Anne
Monica Anne marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2015
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2015
Maya
Maya added it
Sep 07, 2015
Susanna
Susanna marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
Ms. Celaneous
Ms. Celaneous marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Rachel
Rachel added it
Apr 05, 2015
Joleen
Joleen marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Annie
Annie marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Kathryn Kreps
Kathryn Kreps rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2015
Beth Ivins
Beth Ivins rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2015
Hannah Danilyn Hernandez
Hannah Danilyn Hernandez marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Beizal
Beizal marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Trudy Krisher
Trudy Krisher rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2014
Amanda Moyer
Amanda Moyer marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Wendy Michalski
Wendy Michalski rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2014
Derisha
Derisha marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014