Start by marking “The Psychology of Winning” as Want to Read:
The Psychology of Winning

The Psychology of Winning

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  546 ratings  ·  34 reviews
"A heavyweight amoung motivational writers."—Charles Paul conn, author of An Uncommon Freedom.
Published October 15th 1986 by Berkley (first published June 1979)

To ask other readers questions about The Psychology of Winning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Psychology of Winning

Heather Pola
I've read this book several times. The first being in college, while training for peer leadership programs. An amazing mentor and professor, Dr. David Brown had this book, among other greats, on the reading list. This book has been part of my self-evolution through and through. Raw, real, and in your face wake up call...to the true YOU, that has always been calling your name. Thumbs and toes up. Ready set, READ THIS BOOK!
Mike
I've never met Denis Waitley but I've seen him speak on many occasions. After reading "The Psychology of Winning" I can see why he has been a trainer of Super Bowl and Olympic athletes, Apollo astronauts, and Fortune 500 executives. While training these winners, he was no doubt able to find what makes a winner "tick". This resulted in the writing of this book.

From Positive Self-awareness to Positive Self-projection, Dr. Waitley explains their meaning and uses real life examples to drive the poin
kripsoo
first came across the works of Denis Waitley in late 1996, as I began my first steps towards entrepreneurship. It was via audio tape, which contained most if not all of the contents of this book, nonetheless, here was a complete stranger telling Me: I could succeed, I could achieve, I could do things encouragement I was not getting from my immediate family, my peers, my "friends" at that time
Someone once said: You will become like the information you input into your mind and the people you assoc
Vaishali
Somewhat dated, and doesn't flow too quickly. However, fantastic points: (taken from audio/workbook)

~ Develop a very, very strong expectation to win

~ Optimists always win. Optimism & realism are the problem solving twins

~ We move in the direction of what we dwell on

~ Tolerate little or no distraction from moving toward those goals

~ You can't get rich if you keep worrying about your bills. Winners see risk as an opportunity. They see the reward of success in advance, and they don't see the pe
Waseem
Excellent read and already one of my all time fav rags to riches stories... Right up there with think and grow rich this one I think but easier to follow and some sound succeess principles, 5 stars as typically found when I read dennis's boom

Waseem Mirza
Heather
This book was written in the late 1970s so there are references to the Vietnam War, OJ Simpson and beta max players but don't let this deter you. There is still great content in the book that any sales professional can glean information from.

The term "winners" and "winning" has been transformed into a sort of joke in late life thanks to people like Charlie Sheen and movies like Little Miss Sunshine. The sugar-sweet false facade seems to be a thing people do to pump themselves up and not live in
Timothy Bott
The Psychology of Winning by Dr. Denis Waitley was a great non-fiction book that deserves five stars. It kept my attention and I enjoyed reading it because throughout my reading I was influenced to look over my life and review how I was living it. I learned many great things about how I can live a happier life and it was a very motivational book, which can prove to be a great book for practically anybody. I believe that everybody should read it if they'd like to see how he or she compares to Dr. ...more
Melissa
Good book, although I suspect I'll get a lot more out of it if I read it several times! Especially fond of the chapter about health and the mental control we can exert it...
Jim George
An intellectual self help classic. With a step by step program for changing your life. One of the best!
Dvir Oren
I enjoyed this book, good stuff!
favorite new points were plan your life and focus all energy on your goal

the psychology of winning
you interpert reality
be grateful for past achievements and know specifically what your goals are
set a goal and work on it every day constantly making sure you're on the right track
challengs are vital to life
winners are optimists and enthusiastic
focus all energy on your goal and mission - finish what your start
plan your life - Think about the big picture
keep journaling
Daniel Lakstins
helped me have a more positive outlook on life. A must read!
Susan
Good book. A lot of examples. Inspiring.
Marlayna
EXCELLENTE!!!
Andrew
I just listened to the audiobook version of this, and I can't recommend it enough. I've read a few self help books, but this my favorite so far. It's not very long, and I will definitely end up re-reading it before long (and I don't do that very often). Denis touches on all important topics such as motivation, self-esteem, and having a positive mindset. It is really straightforward, and has absolutely had a positive impact on my perception of life and other people.
Sukan Sethi
If you are ever lost in life and feel confused, drifting aimlessly, then this book is for you. I've read it several times to recharge my mind and jump start it
Complex issues are explained easily and gives us the knowledge and tools we need to live a happy and productive life.
Karla

Nothing happens all by itself. There is a science of winning and Dr Denis Waitley explains it all concisely, precisely and in simple terms.

Very motivating and captivating. It makes you want to be your best self!
Jonathan Trost
This is one of the best books I've ever read. It offers timeless advice about maintaining and exuding a positive attitude, setting and accomplishing your goals, and being a good person.
Matthew Petitte
Please take my word, or 3 of them; Dull, ineffective, and corny. So many better, more inspirational books out there.
Kia Hashemi
its just a normal book
i dont have anything to say about this book
Philip Meinel
Although I would not take his advice when it comes to faith, Denis does have a very motivational writing style and makes some key points about Winners. They are:
- eager to learn
- honest, aligning thought, word, and action
- confident, having a strong belief system
- responsible, not waiting for someone else to do it
- motivated (money does not equal success)
- focused on goals, not distracted by time-wasting activities
- consistent, expecting to achieve success
- caring and service-oriented.

Find your
Greg Ellis
Dated, but otherwise a very good book. If you're putting these ten principles to work, success is yours.
Mark
This was a fantastic book I'm glad I added to my library. Will review this one yearly. Great info on changing your mindset which leads to change in outcome.
Kevin H
The best message in this book is power of forming positive mental habits. Many mental habits we formed as adolescents, copied from our parents, and are media influenced. Our minds have a robotic, habitual response to many things. If you can train your mind to form the habit of winning, you can get over the many mental blocks that prevent us from achieving our highest potential.
Christopher Lewis Kozoriz
"Virtually nothing on earth can stop a person with a positive attitude who has his goal clearly in sight.” ~ Denis Waitley

I listened to this audio program while commuting. This audio program gives one insight on what it takes to be a winner. There are many good stories threaded throughout this program.
Kayla
This book is so cute, I don't even know how to explain it talks about self-image, positive self-direction, self-control and discipline
Travis Barley
Excellent book, small, but full of gold. This book has material from at least three other books I've read, so that makes it a treasure trove in one place. I highly recommend.
Troy Kuhn
This is a great book on how a postive attitude can make such a difference in life. The little things can change how you perceive the world and how other may perceive things
Christopher Wild
This book has set the pace to change my life significantly, and that's after having already read 10+ top rated self-help/improvement books!

Seriously wow.
Ahmed Atia
It proves that even small steps can make a great effect on the long run..
" You are in an ongoing growth process."
Jessica Kelishes
I love this series! It changed my life! It's a must read for motivation and focus.
  • The Coming Aristocracy
  • Attitude Is Everything: Change Your Attitude...and You Change Your Life!
  • The Laws of Lifetime Growth: Always Make Your Future Bigger Than Your Past
  • Leadership and Liberty
  • The Compassionate Samurai: Being Extraordinary in an Ordinary World
  • Resolved: 13 Resolutions for LIFE
  • Confidence of a Champion
  • The Return of the Ragpicker
  • The Ant and the Elephant: Leadership for the Self: A Parable and 5-Step Action Plan to Transform Workplace Performance
  • Toughen Up!
  • Outstanding!: 47 Ways to Make Your Organization Exceptional
  • The DNA of Relationships
  • 50 Success Classics: Winning Wisdom for Work & Life from 50 Landmark Books
  • The Psychology of Achievement
  • Courage: The Backbone of Leadership
  • The Winner Within
One of America's most respected authors, keynote lecturers and productivity consultants on high performance human achievement. 10 million audio programs sold in 14 languages, Denis Waitley is one of the most listened-to voices on personal and career success. A graduate of the U. S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, and former Navy pilot, he holds a doctorate degree in human behavior.
More about Denis Waitley...
Seeds of Greatness Empires of the Mind: Lessons To Lead And Succeed In A Knowledge-Based World The Winner's Edge New Dynamics of Winning Safari to the Soul