Start by marking “Kochanek Śmierci” as Want to Read:
Kochanek Śmierci

Kochanek Śmierci (Erast Fandorin Mysteries #9)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  1,469 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Вниманию читателей предлагается новый классический криминальный роман Бориса Акунина, написанный в стиле детективов XIX столетия, когда литература была великой, вера в прогресс безграничной, а преступления раскрывалисьс изяществом и вкусом. Читатель, взявший в руки труд Акунина, должен знать наперед, что никаких дел он не переделает и ко сну не отправится ровно на тот врем ...more
Published 2004 by Świat Książki (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Kochanek Śmierci, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kochanek Śmierci

Nancy Oakes
And now we've come to number nine in the Fandorin series. This time the story is told in a third-person narrative, as seen through the eyes and experiences of a member of Moscow's criminal underworld, Senka Spirodov. And FYI, whoever wrote the blurb for the dustjacket cover put his name as Skorikov. I noticed that on Amazon UK, one reviewer repeated that name ... is it just my copy that has him as Spirodov?

The action takes place at the same time as Fandorin's involvement in the suicide club inve
Drayton Bird
I have read every book I can by this man. He gets better and better.

The early ones were interesting because they gave an insight into Tsarist times, with an engaging hero along the lines of Sir Percy Blakeney.

This one is the best yet. It has a new dimension, as it introduces you to the Moscow underworld - which makes the behaviour of the mafia seem relatively genteel.

For me, one of the measures of a good book is whether it makes me want to know more about the world it describes. This had me pro
Polina
Andrew
This book took me a lot longer to engage with than the earlier Fandorin novels. This may be because my Russian proficiency has weakened somewhat, but despite that I think that the plot takes a particularly long time to develop in this novel. Once it did begin to develop it was an interesting story, but on the whole I don't think that this is the strongest of Akunin's writings. I would be interested to read it in English if it is ever translated, to see if I may have missed something.
Malcolm
I have really enjoyed Akunin's work from the outset, and in this case he hit has stride again. Exciting and adventurous, Akunin's ability to shift narrative voice between each novel (and in the Fadorin series his homage to style of authors of great detective fiction) is impressive. An excellent addition and a great way to spend a lazy day, immmersed in Moscow's early 20th century underworld.
Rafal Jasinski
Niestety jest to słabsza pozycja w dorobku Borysa Akunina. Zabrakło, przede wszystkim, ciekawej i bardziej skomplikowanej sprawy kryminalnej. Zagadka wydaje się być tym razem zupełnie pretekstowa, i czuć tu, że autor o wiele bardziej skupia się na swoistym eksperymencie - dwie książki, równolegle prowadzona narracja, uzupełniające się wątki - niż na fabule tej konkretnej pozycji.

Na plus, tradycyjnie, przyjemny gawędziarski sposób opowiadania i plastyczne oddanie moskiewskiego półświatka, Chitró
Helen Cranberry
Понравилось, местами шокировало. Любопытно, как тонко писатель переплел нынешнее приключение Фандорина с предыдущим. Фандорин - мой любимый книжный персонаж :)
Elena Chernetsova
Reading this book I was already well familiar with Erast Fandorin series and was expecting another enjoyable read. This mystery is described by the author as a Dickensenian mystery and is told from the point of view of a young orphan making his way in the criminal Moscow. Easy parallels with Oliver Twist and Great Expectations do not need to be mentioned. I would give this book 5 stars versus the previous one that I enjoyed slightly less. Here the speed of narration, character depth, mystery twi ...more
Jen
Erin
Another typical Fandorin mystery. It hits the notes you expect and doesn't have too many twists or surprises like the other books. Senka is a fun addition to the cast of characters. I wonder if he continues on in The Diamond Chariot. I think what I would like best is a book from Erast's point of view. The last 3 books have been from a outsider's view of Masa and Erast. It's feeling repetitive. Erast seemed very remote and distant in this book. Of course, Senka bonded with Masa rather than Erast. ...more
Vanessa Delamare
I liked the writing style, especially the beginning full of slang. I sometimes had the impression of being in an Audiard's film as dialogues are very imaged (even if it was sometimes difficult to understand). As we go along the rise of Senka, the dialogue becomes more chastened, which makes the book more easy to read and allows us to support Senka its social progress.

The chapters begin with a title which describe the action to follow, even if sometimes what we imagine is not what happens: the au
Katerina
This is the 9th book of Erast Fandorin's adventures and it is taking place the same time as the 8th book with a similar title (She lover of Death). It was good luck to read them together, as I have not read this series in an order. The previous book was not that good (see for my review here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...)
BUT this one is again back to old good Fandorin.

The central character is a small boy, an urchin. He has had really difficult life, and is living in the darkest neigh
Jenny Sparrow
После "Любовницы смерти" решила и её "антипода" тоже перечитать.

В этой книге речь идёт о серии кровавых и жестоких убийств, которые потрясли Хитровку — старинный оплот преступности на Москве. Жертв находят изувеченными, а таинственный убийца не оставляет в живых даже младенцев и животных... А тут ещё ходят слухи про некий баснословный клад, да на Хитровке не прекращается вражда между криминальными "колодами", борющимися за господство. К чему всё это приведёт?

Помню, когда читала первый раз, мног
Georgia Carvalho
I hope Erast Fandorin keeps having adventures forever! I love how clever and funny the books are, I love the disguises, I love the collection of social misfits and street urchins, I am fascinated by turn of the century Russia in all its inequality and craziness, and even love his stammer. As satisfying as Sherlock Holmes.

Kris McCracken
The events of this novel occur contemporaneously with the events of She Lover of Death. This time, Senka, a street urchin from the slums mixed up in a run of dangerous criminal activities, is our narrator. Another fine addition to the series, and I'm both looking forward to the lead up to the Revolutions, but am already grieving for the loss of our heroes...
Anita
A great read. On par with the early Fandorin novels. I loved the character of Senka, the little gangster, & seeing his viewpoint.
Aleksandar Obradović
Bolji od "Ljubavnice smrti", ali opet miljama daleko od ostalih naslova iz ovog serijala. Prava ocjena bi bila 3,5/5.
Leonid
Намного лучше предыдущей книги
Roosi
Surma armuke. Põnevust kuhjaga ja kuhjaga!
Hudson Murrell
I was a bit skeptical of the title after the previous novel of near-same appellation, but was happily surprised. Took a long while to get into it, but I enjoy Akunin's way of centering the action around a character that is mildly close to Fandorin. Fandorin didn't appear (except for one paragraph) until almost 1/3 of the way into the book. Thankfully, all the background information was essential, and didn't detract.
Anna
The Lover of Death , tenth volume of Erast Fandorin series. It's 1900 in Moscow and Fandorin hidden under the name Nameless searches for the treasure hidden in basements. There is a young woman called the Death - cause her lovers die in weird cirumstances - connected to the case. The Death has a little helper, Sienka, who wants to get to the gang of Prince, the Death's lover. Great. ...more
Jason
A return to form after the mediocre She Lover of Death.
Leya Ruckman
love the series. read in Russian so hope translation is as good
Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave
I didn't hate this one one but I didn't like it nearly as much as the other Erast Fandorin books. It didn't even feel like a Fandorin book to me. I didn't really care for She Lover of Death either. I might have liked it better if it wasn't listed as part of the Fandorin series and was happily surprised by a Fandorin cameo in the book.
Darya Conmigo
Okay, I take back my words about the previous book of the series, "She lover of death." After you read this one, it all just comes together in a very nice (and a very Akunin-like) way. So, don't make a mistake: read both books, "She Lover of Death" and "The Lover of Death." It is really one piece.
Lauri
Ilmselt parim Akunin, s.t. Fandorini seiklustest. Eelmise sajandivahetuse paiku Moskva allilma on kirjeldatud erakordselt realistliku jõhkrusega ja naturaalselt, vene kriminaalsete subkultuuride kohta saab üsna palju infot.
Ei taha sinna Hitrovosse sattuda isegi 21.sajandil...:)
ashok
Yet another romp in late 19th century Moscow. This time around most of the plot is set in the Khitrovka slums of moscow, and the narrator is an orphan who falls in with a femme-fatale. There is a serial killer on the loose and only Fandorin can save the day. Fun as usual!
Shea
#iLove this book!
Boris Akunin is comparable to Arthur Conan Doyle. His characters are well developed and the storyline is very interesting.
One can learn a lot from this single book.
I'm definitely going to hunt for his other books.
Marsha
A page turner till the very end but remember to brace yourself for some gore if you're faint-hearted (like me). And the best thing about this is that it's a murder mystery written in a light-hearted tone!
Aude
Ici Boris Akounine n'est pas aussi inspiré que dans son roman "Le couronnement". Cependant on suit toujours avec plaisir les aventures d'Eraste Fandorine.
  • Казус Кукоцкого
  • Легенды Невского Проспекта
  • Дебют в Ехо (Лабиринты Ехо, #1.1-1.3)
  • Two Captains
  • An Evil Eye (Yashim the Eunuch, #4)
  • Манюня (Манюня, #1)
  • Дом, в котором...
  • Sofia Petrovna
  • The Compromise
  • Похороните меня за плинтусом (Похороните меня за плинтусом, #1)
  • Малахитовая шкатулка. Уральские сказы
  • Empire V (Вампиры, #1)
  • На солнечной стороне улицы
  • Мастер и Маргарита. Собачье сердце
  • The Diggers Rest Hotel (Charlie Berlin, #1)
Real name - Grigory Shalvovich Chkhartishvili (see Grigory Chkhartishvili), born in Tbilisi, Georgia, in 1956. Since 1958 he lives in Moscow. Writer and translator from Japanease. Author of crime stories set in tsarist Russia. In 1998 he made his debut with novel Azazel (to English readers known as The Winter Queen), where he created Erast Pietrovich Fandorin.

B. Akunin refers to Mikhail Alexandr
More about Boris Akunin...

Erast Fandorin Mysteries (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Winter Queen (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #1)
  • The Turkish Gambit (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #2)
  • Murder on the Leviathan (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #3)
  • The Death of Achilles (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #4)
  • Special Assignments (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #5)
  • Статский советник (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #6)
  • Коронация, или Последний из романов (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #7)
  • Любовница смерти (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #8)
  • Алмазная колесница (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #10)
  • Нефритовые четки (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #11)
The Winter Queen (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #1) Murder on the Leviathan (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #3) The Turkish Gambit (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #2) The Death of Achilles (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #4) Special Assignments (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #5)