Start by marking “The Tamer Tamed; or, The Woman's Prize” as Want to Read:
The Tamer Tamed; or, The Woman's Prize

The Tamer Tamed; or, The Woman's Prize

This is the first edition for students and general readers of this pro-woman reply to Shakespeare's The Taming of the Shrew by a playwright (John Fletcher) who was more admired than Shakespeare in the seventeenth century. A unique and essential companion to the numerous textbook editions of Shakespeare's play, The Tamer Tamed provides exciting new material for current deba ...more
Published January 9th 2007 by Manchester University Press (first published 1647)

To ask other readers questions about The Tamer Tamed; or, The Woman's Prize, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tamer Tamed; or, The Woman's Prize

Matthew
The sequel and antithesis to "The Taming of the Shrew," written in 1611 by John Fletcher, who would go on to collaborate with Shakespeare on three plays. What could be better than a contemporaneous play that rights the wrongs of "Shrew," to me Shakespeare's most distasteful work (and, yes, I know the savage "Titus Andronicus," the miserific "Timon of Athens," and the problem plays with their bed-tricks), one which I've read and seen as many times as any other piece of theatre, trying with all my ...more
Mike Jensen
Mar 11, 2014 Mike Jensen rated it liked it
I need to read this again, but my first impression of John Fletcher's sequel to THE TAMING OF THE SHREW was that there is too much repetition and not enough variety to be a truly satisfying play. I found myself wanting to cross out half-columns of dialog when a point had already been made. Now I am less sure, for I have become a more sensitive reader of such material. Still, as I told my students when I lectured on THE WOMAN'S PRIZE, we don't have to make excuses for what people take to be the ...more
Jason Luna
Mar 27, 2013 Jason Luna rated it it was amazing
A very funny, witty take on "Taming of the Shrew". A lot of interesting characters with dynamics that challenge the norms that Shakespeare proposed. Also, very funny and a great idea for staging (I'm currently in a production, so I am an authority on the subject.
Rick
A good play that is certainly more of a proto-feminist text than Shakespeare's The Taming of the Shrew, and be fascinating to see a production of it following Shakespeare's as this is a sequel to that play.
Joyanne
Jan 12, 2012 Joyanne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
If you've read Shakespeare's The Taming of the Shrew and weren't sure if you liked the outcome, The Tamer Tamed is the perfect reconciliation. It's witty, suggestive, and a rip-roaring time written in beautiful, Jacobean language. Try it out; you won't regret it!
Michelle
Feb 18, 2013 Michelle rated it it was amazing
A follow-up to Shakespeare's controversial play, The Taming of the Shrew, this is a play stands well in conjunction with Shakespeare's and on it's own. Petruchio is indeed a changed and different man. And Maria is the star of the play.
Shelby
Sep 21, 2014 Shelby rated it it was amazing
I'm taking an Early Feminisms class with Dr. Daileader, one of the editors of this edition. She's great, the play is great, read the book.
Rebekka Sandok
Rebekka Sandok rated it liked it
Nov 10, 2016
Ruth Feiertag
Ruth Feiertag rated it did not like it
Sep 18, 2014
Brandon
Brandon rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2007
Fmcabral
Fmcabral rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2013
Anibal
Anibal rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2011
Brett
Brett rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2016
Nina
Nina rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2015
Lark
Lark rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2007
Jacqueline
Jacqueline rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2015
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2016
Antonia Ivanova
Antonia Ivanova rated it did not like it
Jan 29, 2011
Debbie Hazeleger
Debbie Hazeleger rated it it was ok
Jan 22, 2012
BiblioGlow
BiblioGlow rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2013
Kevin
Kevin rated it it was ok
Sep 19, 2012
Niall Curran
Niall Curran rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2013
James
James rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2014
Jason Begin
Jason Begin rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2016
Sara
Sara rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2013
M.L. Rio
M.L. Rio rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2015
Kaitlin
Kaitlin rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2011
  • The Broadview Anthology of British Literature: Volume 1: The Medieval Period
  • Hedda Gabler and Other Plays
  • Detroit
  • Volpone and Other Plays
  • The Changeling (New Mermaids)
  • The Cid / Cinna / The Theatrical Illusion
  • Everyman and Medieval Miracle Plays (Everyman's Library)
  • Menander: The Plays and Fragments
  • One for the Road
  • The Major Works
  • The Witch of Edmonton
  • Hobson's Choice
John Fletcher (1579–1625) was a Jacobean playwright. Following William Shakespeare as house playwright for the King's Men, he was among the most prolific and influential dramatists of his day; both during his lifetime and in the early Restoration, his fame rivalled Shakespeare's.

In 1606, he began to appear as an author for the Children of the Queen's Revels, then performing at the Blackfriars The
More about John Fletcher...