Start by marking “The Tamer Tamed; or, The Woman's Prize” as Want to Read:
The Tamer Tamed; or, The Woman's Prize

The Tamer Tamed; or, The Woman's Prize

3.20  ·  Rating Details  ·  137 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
This is the first edition for students and general readers of this pro-woman reply to Shakespeare's The Taming of the Shrew by a playwright (John Fletcher) who was more admired than Shakespeare in the seventeenth century. A unique and essential companion to the numerous textbook editions of Shakespeare's play, The Tamer Tamed provides exciting new material for current deba ...more
Published January 9th 2007 by Manchester University Press (first published 1647)

To ask other readers questions about The Tamer Tamed; or, The Woman's Prize, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tamer Tamed; or, The Woman's Prize

Mike Jensen
Mar 11, 2014 Mike Jensen rated it liked it
I need to read this again, but my first impression of John Fletcher's sequel to THE TAMING OF THE SHREW was that there is too much repetition and not enough variety to be a truly satisfying play. I found myself wanting to cross out half-columns of dialog when a point had already been made. Now I am less sure, for I have become a more sensitive reader of such material. Still, as I told my students when I lectured on THE WOMAN'S PRIZE, we don't have to make excuses for what people take to be the m ...more
Matthew
The sequel and antithesis to "The Taming of the Shrew," written in 1611 by John Fletcher, who would go on to collaborate with Shakespeare on three plays. What could be better than a contemporaneous play that rights the wrongs of "Shrew," to me Shakespeare's most distasteful work (and, yes, I know the savage "Titus Andronicus," the miserific "Timon of Athens," and the problem plays with their bed-tricks), one which I've read and seen as many times as any other piece of theatre, trying with all my ...more
Shelby
Sep 21, 2014 Shelby rated it it was amazing
I'm taking an Early Feminisms class with Dr. Daileader, one of the editors of this edition. She's great, the play is great, read the book.
Jason Luna
Mar 27, 2013 Jason Luna rated it it was amazing
A very funny, witty take on "Taming of the Shrew". A lot of interesting characters with dynamics that challenge the norms that Shakespeare proposed. Also, very funny and a great idea for staging (I'm currently in a production, so I am an authority on the subject.
Joyanne
Jan 12, 2012 Joyanne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
If you've read Shakespeare's The Taming of the Shrew and weren't sure if you liked the outcome, The Tamer Tamed is the perfect reconciliation. It's witty, suggestive, and a rip-roaring time written in beautiful, Jacobean language. Try it out; you won't regret it!
Michelle
Feb 18, 2013 Michelle rated it it was amazing
A follow-up to Shakespeare's controversial play, The Taming of the Shrew, this is a play stands well in conjunction with Shakespeare's and on it's own. Petruchio is indeed a changed and different man. And Maria is the star of the play.
Rick
A good play that is certainly more of a proto-feminist text than Shakespeare's The Taming of the Shrew, and be fascinating to see a production of it following Shakespeare's as this is a sequel to that play.
Robin
Feb 08, 2013 Robin rated it liked it
Good play. Prefer the original story.
Landon Kramer
Landon Kramer marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
reinsplash
reinsplash marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Ylva
Ylva rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2016
Sarah Parry
Sarah Parry rated it it was ok
Jul 08, 2016
Elizabeth Barter
Elizabeth Barter marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Woodenpoet
Woodenpoet marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Riley Barnitz
Riley Barnitz marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Elizabeth Lamorte-wright
Elizabeth Lamorte-wright marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Ronnie
Ronnie added it
Jul 01, 2016
Allyson
Allyson marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
Isabella
Isabella marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Miriam
Miriam marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Eileen
Eileen marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Kerry Dougherty
Kerry Dougherty rated it it was ok
May 12, 2016
Renaissancecat22
Renaissancecat22 marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Ines Cufflin
Ines Cufflin rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2016
Marija
Marija marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Amelia
Amelia marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
Sarah Stewart
Sarah Stewart rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2016
Scott Charles Walker
Scott Charles Walker marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
  • Six Tragedies (Oxford World's Classics)
  • The Broadview Anthology of British Literature: Volume 1: The Medieval Period
  • Hedda Gabler and Other Plays
  • Detroit
  • Volpone and Other Plays
  • The Changeling (New Mermaids)
  • The Cid / Cinna / The Theatrical Illusion
  • Everyman and Medieval Miracle Plays (Everyman's Library)
  • Menander: The Plays and Fragments
  • One for the Road
  • Hamlet: The Texts of 1603 and 1623
  • The Major Works
  • The Witch of Edmonton: By William Rowley, Thomas Dekker and John Ford
John Fletcher (1579–1625) was a Jacobean playwright. Following William Shakespeare as house playwright for the King's Men, he was among the most prolific and influential dramatists of his day; both during his lifetime and in the early Restoration, his fame rivalled Shakespeare's.

In 1606, he began to appear as an author for the Children of the Queen's Revels, then performing at the Blackfriars The
More about John Fletcher...