Start by marking “Monsters of Men (Chaos Walking, #3)” as Want to Read:
Monsters of Men (Chaos Walking, #3)

Monsters of Men (Chaos Walking #3)

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  33,684 ratings  ·  3,773 reviews
Three armies march on New Prentisstown, each one intent on destroying the others. Todd and Viola are caught in the middle, with no chance of escape. As the battles commence, how can they hope to stop the fighting? How can there ever be peace when they're so hopelessly outnumbered? And if war makes monsters of men, what terrible choices await?
Published May 3rd 2010 by Walker Books Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about Monsters of Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monsters of Men

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsDivergent by Veronica RothMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsInsurgent by Veronica Roth
YA Dystopia Novels
48th out of 842 books — 8,940 voters
Mockingjay by Suzanne CollinsCity of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareLinger by Maggie StiefvaterSpirit Bound by Richelle Mead
YA Books of 2010 & 2011 I'm LIVING to read!!
82nd out of 1,133 books — 6,302 voters

More lists with this book...

filter: 5 stars  |  sort: default (?)  |  rating details
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
I am shocked. I am speechless. I don't even think I can do this book justice by writing this review. My first reaction is just to scream "OH MY EFFING GOD!!!" (only I don't say "effing"! heh heh …Well, if you've read the books you get the joke) …which is exactly what I said about fifty times after I finished reading it last night.

Seriously, it isn't often that a book like this comes along. I don't think a book has left me feeling this shocked and amazed in years––not even the first two books, wh
Anushka
Also find this review on Don't Stop Readin'

OH. MY. GOD.

I-
CAN’T-
EVEN-

Page 572
It will always haunt me.
I will never be able to forget it.
It was when I started crying hysterically until my throat started aching.

There are not enough adjectives in the dictionary to sing praises of this series. I am simply tongue-tied by the brilliance of this trilogy, the depth of the topics explored via the characters in this book.
I really cannot write a proper review, I just can’t. I am so severely shocked and utte
Emily May
After falling completely in love with the first two books in the Chaos Walking Trilogy, it made perfect sense for me to seek out the final installment asap. And I must admit, my immediate thoughts were mixed. This book doesn't share the fast pace of 'The Knife Of Never Letting Go' and doesn't put as much emphasis on the shock factor like 'The Ask And The Answer'. But it delivered beautifully in a way I could never have imagined.

Firstly, I've never been a huge fan of swapping the narrative repeat
Clau R.
EVERYTHING HURTS RIGHT NOW, DON'T TALK TO ME!!!!
Isamlq
Dec 05, 2010 Isamlq rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Yes, Aaron... E.V.E.R.Y.O.N.E!!!!!
Shelves: favorites
Two words: Emotional Investment.

This review is me on a soapbox telling shouting at anyone/everyone within hearing distance to read it… NOW! So, I guess, this review isn't a review after all. Right before I started Monsters, I was so worried if Ness would kill off one, some, or all his characters. Then I asked myself, “Is that all you can think of?” My response: a resounding, YES! My concern extending to the living or dying of these people, clearly establishes my emotional investment. If someone
Regan
One of the best endings of a trilogy i have ever read. I sobbed, and laughed, but most sobbed. So poetic, honestly, Patrick Ness is a gift to this earth.
Priscilla
What a book, and what an ending! I couldn't have asked for more. Exceeded my expectations!

Initial Thoughts:
1. Love Todd. Definitely one of my favourite literary characters. His character development throughout this series is INSANE. A genuinely sweet, well intentioned character, you can't help but fall in love and root for Todd.
2. All of the characters are amazing. From the antagonists, and side characters, each had a unique purpose, and perspective in the book. Each character complemented each
Lisa Scott
Reading Monsters of Men is like being on a roller coaster. At first it feels fairly slow, with tension building and building, and then you're hurtling down and hanging on for dear life. It took me several days to get through the first 200 pages or so, and then the last 400 I polished off in several hours.

The moral ambiguity of The Knife of Never Letting Go and The Ask and the Answer (can Patrick Ness title a book or what?) continues as Todd and Viola attempt to negotiate peace among two human f
Raeleen Lemay
my heart has officially been blown up into a million little pieces.

boom.
Rebecca
... I don't know what to say. What a wonderful series.
Vanessa
How do you review Monsters of Men?

Just how?

Do I come in with a basic summary of the plot and then move on to what I thought about it? Because if I even tried doing that with Monsters of Men, it might end up something like this:

So after revealing that there are thousands of Spackle still alive on the planet and they are VERY pissed off at the humans for killing several hundred of their own species and have thus formed an army at the end of The Ask and the Answer, Patrick Ness drops us straight in
Reynje
This one time, Monsters of Men punched me in the face.

It was awesome.

Photobucket

Proper review to come (eventually).

[Note: By "proper" I mean probably full of italics, caps, uncontrolled flailing about, and the literary equivalent of high pitched screeching].

Start making my t-shirt, Jo!
David Estes
I don't usually write reviews, but I felt like I had to do something after finishing this series to...honor it. This is probably my favorite dystopian series now and might always be. Simply incredible, I was left speechless and tearful and happy at the last word. I can't read Patrick Ness's next book fast enough.
Robin (Bridge Four)
5 effing Stars for Monsters of Men and 4.9 Stars for the entire series.

WOW....just Wow. This is one of those books or actually it is an entire series that I will have the most difficult time putting into words how fantastic it is.

photo broken-heartfixed_zps035976c6.jpg
There are so many great moments and beautiful writing that I'm amazed by it all.

The thing about war is there is never a winner. Both sides lose; the winner is the one that loses the least. Ness did a fantastic job of showing the lengths that people go to for what they
What an end to an amazing series! This series has just completely blown me away and surpassed every single one of my expectations. I honestly believe that this book is in a different league to every other book series (and other books too). You can't fault these books, Patrick Ness is just a phenomenal writer and I have so much respect for him!

Everything about this book is awesome. It stays on par with the other two books (although the second one is my favourite). The only slightly negative thin
Jo
This review is going to be one huge spoiler if you haven't read the first two books.... just a heads up.

(view spoiler)
Shelby *wants some flying monkeys*
These books are shelved in my library system as Sci-fi. First of all I usually hate science fiction. I've never ever liked it. Then someone comes along and suggests Patrick Ness books to me. Holy crap. What had I been missing. I read A Monster Calls and loved it. So when I heard he had a dystopian series out I knew I had to give it a try.

photo my_body_is_ready_zps350a9c43.gif

This set of books is not just Young Adult. These books should honestly in my opinion be required reading for everyone. Amazing complex. These books have chara
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤
Re-read with Jen (again) (shut up just shut up ;) )

5 Stars

Again, I am blown away by how magnificent this series was. The world that Ness created is so complex, intricate, and altogether heartbreaking that you can't help but fall for these flawed characters. Time and again they are faced with extreme circumstances and forced to make decisions no child should ever have to be faced with-they make mistake after mistake-and they come out stronger than before each and every time. I felt all the same
Zanib  Sajjad
Karin
MONSTERS OF MEN is the wonderful conclusion to the Chaos Walking Trilogy. It picks up where THE ASK AND THE ANSWER leaves off – right at the beginning of WAR! The Spackle, the Answer, and the Mayor’s army are all converging on New Prentisstown and Todd and Viola are stuck in the middle.

Patrick Ness creates the same heart-pounding suspense in this novel as he did in the first two in the trilogy. Multiple points of view give the reader a full understanding of what is happening.

Be sure to set asid
Sana
This book just stabs and stabs and stabs and stabs and stabs and stabs and stabs and stabs and stabs and stabs and stabs and stabs and stabs and stabs and stabs and stabs and stabs and stabs and stabs and stabs and stabs and stabs and stabs and stabs and stabs and stabs and stabs and stabs and stabs and stabs and stabs and stabs and stabs and stabs and stabs and stabs and stabs and stabs until you can't do anything but collapse into a heap of overwhelming feelings.

Review to come.
Lucy
A stunning conclusion to a series that has cemented Patrick Ness as one of my favourite YA authors. Dystopian young adult fiction has become increasingly formulaic since the genre’s sudden surge in popularity, and too often I find that I can correctly guess the author’s endgame after just a few chapters. But from the very first page of The Knife of Never Letting Go to the very final page of Monsters of Men, I was kept in constant suspense, with absolutely no clue what would happen to Ness’ chara ...more
Amber
Following the events of The Ask and the Answer Viola and Todd have now become thrown into the middle of another dangerous war between the spackle aliens and man. The Mayor is back to his old tricks again and it is up to Viola and Todd to stop him. Will they succeed? War turns monsters of men and it may be too late. Read on to find out for yourself what happens.

This was an amazing conclusion to the Chaos Walking Trilogy. It was action-packed to the very end and I enjoyed reading it! If you enjoy
Jaime West
WAR..
Is blasting and flashing at the forefront of this book, with the Mayor Prentiss hell bent on it, destruction and absolute power. But what the books are really about and what flows on every page is so much more and as the 'reader' you're submerged in it, to the point where you feel the shrapnel wizz past your face.

Choice and the price of your choices and the affect that one person's choice can have on others, like a ripple across a pond. And what War is, and what it means and why.
Someone i
Erin
Wow.

I am completely at a loss as to how to review this. But let's try.

There is a big part of me that wants to compare this series to The Hunger Games trilogy. And, surprisingly, Chaos Walking is coming out on top in this comparison. Mockingjay tried so hard to be a commentary on the destructive power of war and violence, but I feel that Monsters of Men was far, far better in that respect... and, to be honest, in almost every respect. The reader feels all the horror of battle, the temptation and
Stephanie
Wow. Just wow. That was rough... I was crying so hard at the end of this my husband had to come check on me. I don't want to spoil anything so I won't say too much more about it but this has to be one of my favorite series ever...

Briefly, this is the third and final volume of the Chaos Walking series. At the end of volume two, The Ask and The Answer, three armies were converging on New Prentisstown and Todd and Viola were trying to prevent all out war between the settlers and the Spackle (the in
Sam
I have been hesitant to put pen to paper ever since I put down Monster of Men by Patrick Ness. This is Todd and Viola’s story begun in Knife of Never letting Go and continued in Ask and the Answer. I have been reluctant because I am stunned by the writing, the incredible relentlessness of the battle between man and the Spackle, driven on by the malevolent President Prentiss and the rest of the inhabitants of this remote colony.
There are no words to describe this third novel in the Chaos Walking
Jonathan
Monsters of Men brilliantly concludes the series begun with the Knife of Letting Go. However I must warn that for many readers the ending may seem unsatisfying. If you've seen Inception and you did not mind the open ending then you'll still enjoy the conclusion here.

Yet again the writing is concise, superb and sophisticated, opening up deep themes and ideas that encourage the reader to think both logically and emotionally as to how they would respond in Todd or Viola's place. How would you keep
Todd's mother's book 5 32 Jul 01, 2015 12:59PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Monsters of Men (Chaos Walking #3) by Patrick Ness - Starting 13th December 2014 23 48 Jun 12, 2015 01:39PM
Mayor Prentiss? 19 34 Mar 13, 2015 02:51AM
Ending: a blessing or a curse? 84 509 Dec 24, 2014 03:58AM
The Challenge Fac...: Vicci & Kristin - Monsters of Men 141 18 Sep 10, 2014 03:31AM
****SPOILERS**** Who Cried? 16 81 Aug 26, 2014 07:38PM
The Challenge Fac...: Lauren & Samantha - Monsters of Men 4 21 Mar 20, 2014 03:10PM
  • The Drowned Cities (Ship Breaker, #2)
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
  • UnDivided (Unwind, #4)
  • The Curse of the Wendigo (The Monstrumologist, #2)
  • A Darkling Plain (The Hungry City Chronicles, #4)
  • Rebel Heart (Dust Lands, #2)
  • Maggot Moon
  • Goliath (Leviathan, #3)
  • Shades of Earth (Across the Universe, #3)
  • Passenger (The Marbury Lens, #2)
  • Fear (Gone, #5)
  • Starclimber (Matt Cruse, #3)
  • Fire and Ash (Benny Imura, #4)
  • The Dark and Hollow Places (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #3)
  • Away (The Line, #2)
Patrick Ness, an award-winning novelist, has written for England’s Radio 4 and Sunday Telegraph and is a literary critic for The Guardian. He has written many books, including the Chaos Walking Trilogy, The Crash of Hennington, Topics About Which I Know Nothing, and A Monster Calls.

He has won numerous awards, including the Guardian Children’s Fiction Prize, the Booktrust Teenage Prize, and the Co
More about Patrick Ness...

Chaos Walking (3 books)
  • The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1)
  • The Ask and the Answer (Chaos Walking, #2)
The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) A Monster Calls The Ask and the Answer (Chaos Walking, #2) More Than This The New World (Chaos Walking, #0.5)

“To say you have no choice is to relieve yourself of responsibility.” 569 likes